Panthers wideout Steve Smith doesn’t want to think about next year

S. Smithcar4

It feels like the Panthers have been stuck preparing for a meaningless Week 17 game for the last two months.

Now the 2-12 squad is only a week away from the actual thing.  Receiver Steve Smith still doesn’t want to think about 2011.

“Am I concerned about my contract? No. Am I looking forward to the end of the year? Actually not,” said Smith via CarolinaGrowl.com.  “I’m not focusing on next year because Thursday is going to be bad weather and cold. It will be a tough physical game and I have my teammates counting on me to play ball. “

Smith addressed a PFT report saying that he was selling his house, remarking that the home has been on the market since July.   The question may be less about whether Smith is happy in town, and more about whether the Panthers want to keep him.

Smith is a far better player than his statistics this season indicate (43 catches, 537 yards).  The Panthers have to decide whether they believe he’ll still be a good player when their team is competitive again.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
27 Responses to “Panthers wideout Steve Smith doesn’t want to think about next year”
  1. birddogger says: Dec 21, 2010 8:10 PM

Having suffered through many years of watching Panther games due to regional coverage, I can say that Steve Smith is one of the greatest receivers that I have ever seen. He made Jake Delhomme’s career. If Smith had had his career with the Patriots, he would be going to the hall of fame. He deserves better than Jimmy from ND. Trade him to a good team, please.

2. skurdzzz says: Dec 21, 2010 8:25 PM

lets bring him to the rams where he can help samford and sons get a superbowl next year.

3. ralphwilsonsucks says: Dec 21, 2010 8:37 PM

Time to move on. This franchise is rebuilding. Go play for a winner.

4. earlcampbellrules says: Dec 21, 2010 9:29 PM

I feel bad for the dude. Tons of talent and stuck on a pitiful team with no quarterback. He deserves to play with a qb that can at least throw the ball, not a team with a big eared, loser, d-bag that has no future.

5. skurdzzz says: Dec 21, 2010 9:44 PM

one of the all time greatest. put him in st louis.

6. wbt1030 says: Dec 21, 2010 9:50 PM

#
    birddogger says: Dec 21, 2010 8:10 PM

If you were a real fan of “your” Patriots or whatever bandwagon team you root for you would either, A.) Get DirecTV with Sunday Ticket (its not that hard to see “your” team) or B.) Move back to whatever yankee town your from and leave my State

7. moolah954 says: Dec 21, 2010 10:04 PM

fantasy bust and i drafted him kinda early

8. jgrange says: Dec 21, 2010 10:56 PM

Raiders could use a guy like Smith.

9. thenorsehorse says: Dec 21, 2010 11:20 PM

Raiders would use up a talented guy like Smith and still be losers. When it comes wasting talent, they don’t call it the black hole for nuthin.

10. carryingweight says: Dec 21, 2010 11:52 PM

I would like to see the rams make a play for him. Sam would do well with a solid number one without.

11. carryingweight says: Dec 21, 2010 11:53 PM

*wideout

12. sickpuppyz says: Dec 21, 2010 11:54 PM

@wtb1030. who the f do u think you are loser??? this is a free country and people can live anywhere they wish. don’t blame them for your meager welfare check. last I check you don’t own the state. what right do you have to tell people to get out of “your” state? or to tell them what they need to do about their TV choices? infantile loser!

13. ijr213 says: Dec 21, 2010 11:59 PM

At this point in time, the Panthers should consider trading him and DeAngelo Williams for some valuable draft picks.

Take Luck at #1, see what you can get for those two (probably 2nd round picks at the worst for both), and load up.

14. piratefreedom says: Dec 22, 2010 1:02 AM

The last time the Pats picked up a big name veteran wide receiver after a down year the bum only caught 23 TDs.

As competitive and passionate as Steve Smith is I would expect more than that from him.

15. rcunningham says: Dec 22, 2010 1:34 AM

wbt1030 says: Dec 21, 2010 9:50 PM

OH-HO-HO INTERNET TOUGH GUY HERE!

You are an idiot.

16. canadianvikingfaniii says: Dec 22, 2010 3:24 AM

I would love Steve Smith on my team. Unfortunately my team sucks and has no QB for the future.

17. shiv1623 says: Dec 22, 2010 5:28 AM

Smith to the Vikes lmao

18. jblazeandem says: Dec 22, 2010 9:45 AM

moolah954 says:
    Dec 21, 2010 10:04 PM
    fantasy bust and i drafted him kinda early

You are an idiot for drafting him early

19. pukey60 says: Dec 22, 2010 11:36 AM

Your only as good as your quarterback. See Deion Branch for proof.

20. crashdog says: Dec 22, 2010 11:51 AM

jgrange says:
    Dec 21, 2010 10:56 PM
    Raiders could use a guy like Smith

The same way they used Randy Moss, Javon Walker, and Warren Sapp?

21. BC says: Dec 22, 2010 12:09 PM

Giants.
    We need to replace our damaged Steve Smith for a new one.

22. catman72 says: Dec 22, 2010 1:00 PM

Stay tuned… we’re going to draft Luck and Smith will have a career year in 2012.

23. norseraider75 says: Dec 22, 2010 1:16 PM

Losers?7-7 is not a losing record and it seems like they are turning it around plus losers dont win 3 super bowls. the real issue is they really need a Big physical WR but they would settle for SS to help a young receiving corp.

@crashdog- or it could be like when the raiders aquired Jerry Rice,Rich Gannon, Willie Brown, ted hendricks,willie gault, lyle alzado, Rod woodson, eric allen, Jim plunkett,lincoln kennedy or george blanda.

but you can just keep focusing on the underwhelming negative side of the argument.

24. norseraider75 says: Dec 22, 2010 1:19 PM

@bc panthers SS is much older. Giants SS is young and will be a good WR for years.

25. theguywhotoldtimtebowtoshutthefup says: Dec 22, 2010 2:03 PM

skurdzzz, St. Louis could pick up 5 Steve Smith’s & they still wouldn’t go to the super bowl

26. jgrange says: Dec 23, 2010 8:15 AM

crashdog, 3 examples when the Raiders have a 3 page book full of guys who they gave 2nd chances to and proved themselves worthy? Please, stop talking.

27. patmcrotch says: Dec 28, 2010 9:03 AM

Steve Smith is DONE in Charlotte. I dont want this at all, I’m not a fan of any other team wishing to get him. I am a Panthers fan and I want Steve to stay here but I’m afraid that isn’t going to happen.

I was on the field at the last home game this year. After the game Steve took his shoes off, signed them, gave them to a fan. Then he kissed the wall, kissed the ground and walked to the locker room. That plus his house being on the market………

Not looking good for the sale of 89 Jerseys in Charlotte.