Colts shut down Austin Collie

austincollie

Colts receiver Austin Collie has had to leave each of the last three games he’s played because of concussions, and the team isn’t going to risk it happening a fourth time.

Collie will be placed on injured reserve, Colts owner Jim Irsay announced on Twitter. Irsay praised Collie as “a tough and talented football player.”

In Sunday’s game against the Jaguars, Collie took a hard hit to the head and stayed on the ground for a couple minutes before getting up and walking off. Six weeks earlier he had been stretchered off the field after taking a hard hit against the Eagles, and the first time he tried to come back he couldn’t make it out of the game against the Patriots before concussion symptoms returned.

Irsay also announced that the Colts have signed veteran safety Ken Hamlin.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Colts shut down Austin Collie”
  1. CT Pats Fan says: Dec 22, 2010 11:18 AM

He’s a great player – here’s hoping a full off season will sort out the problems and he’ll resume a healthy career, and life.

2. connie73 says: Dec 22, 2010 11:20 AM

The best news I heard in a long time.
    I love Collie. I want to see him play again next year.

3. BC says: Dec 22, 2010 11:21 AM

I hate the Colts, but I hope the dude’s OK. Last thing you want is for him to end up like Merrill Hoge or Al Toon.

4. 8man says: Dec 22, 2010 11:24 AM

I can’t imagine how dangerous this team would be if they weren’t just crushed with injuries. As is, they are going to win their division and host a playoff game. Big ups to them, because I ain’t too impressed with their head coach.

Is it irony that the much maligned shut down they did in the regular season last year was to avoid key injuries and this year they have a plethora of them? I think Peyton Manning could make me a viable NFL receiver.

5. iluvwikileaks says: Dec 22, 2010 11:24 AM

The Colts are a team in decline, anyway.

6. shastacornell says: Dec 22, 2010 11:28 AM

Thank God! This was the right thing to do.

7. kissbillsrings says: Dec 22, 2010 11:32 AM

Glad to see the right thing being done here….hope he has a full recovery & is good to go next year….kid showed up every time he was on the field….

8. phinfan says: Dec 22, 2010 11:32 AM

Thats sad when a Young Talented dude like Collie who was just Blossoming as a elite NFL player is pretty much done for his career when it was just starting. Then there’s scum bags like T.O., Randy Moss, Stallworth that still exist. Go figure.

9. pukey60 says: Dec 22, 2010 11:34 AM

It doesn’t look good for him, but I wish the dude well.

10. homelanddefense says: Dec 22, 2010 11:39 AM

I HATE the Colts, but I hope this kid ends up ok. Its so sad to see a “no name” player like him start to work his way into being a good NFL WR and then get all these head injuries. I wish him the best

11. piratefreedom says: Dec 22, 2010 11:47 AM

As much as I hate the Colts I have to give them credit for not gambling with Collies health even though he is a very valuable player for them.

12. jpryan06 says: Dec 22, 2010 11:48 AM

Collie’s a good receiver and an even better guy. I hope he’s healthy next season but more importantly I hope he’s healthy for his wife and newborn son.

Some things are bigger than football.

13. nogoodell says: Dec 22, 2010 11:48 AM

Stallworth is a scumbag? gimme a break

14. obsession55 says: Dec 22, 2010 11:51 AM

Great move. The Colts are much better with him in the lineup, but its just not worth the risk. 1 more big hit and he could be finished. His career might be over, its pretty sad…

15. bbb82 says: Dec 22, 2010 11:52 AM

It was the right thing to do. Hope he’s able to play next year.

16. bradwins says: Dec 22, 2010 11:59 AM

It is hard to imagine anyone disliking a sports team more than I dislike the Colts, but I hate to see this happen to the kid. I’m glad the Colts are doing the right thing, and not because of any competitive advantage that could result for my team. The kid is obviously very talented and I hope we have to worry about him as a receiver for a long time. At the end of the day, NFL football is just entertainment – I don’t want to see anyone permanently damaged.

17. shackdelrio says: Dec 22, 2010 11:59 AM

Good move by Indy.

18. beerbaron says: Dec 22, 2010 12:13 PM

That’s a shame. I was hoping Meriweather would finish him off for good in the playoffs.

19. xlichamps says: Dec 22, 2010 12:41 PM

If being “in decline” means being in control of your division with 2 games to go and half of your starters on IR, then I’m good with that.

20. xlichamps says: Dec 22, 2010 12:45 PM

Oh and very classy move on Indy’s part! It’s going to take a miracle to win in the postseason this year anyway with all of these injuries. No need to risk ending the career of a guy who’s going to be a HUGE asset in the future.

21. unbreakable02215 says: Dec 22, 2010 12:59 PM

Not all Patriots fans are as moronic as Beerbaron.

22. homelanddefense says: Dec 22, 2010 1:15 PM

great a ton of intelligent comments then beerbaron needs to come in and play the ass. Makes all of us Patriots fans look bad.

Show some class.

23. zastomito says: Dec 22, 2010 1:52 PM

You are who we thought you were.

24. cletusvandam says: Dec 22, 2010 2:11 PM

good move by the colts, it needed to be done.

25. fatguystrangler says: Dec 22, 2010 2:42 PM

Necessary move by Indy. He’s a young player, no need to jeopardize his career and livelihood.

26. joerevs300 says: Dec 22, 2010 3:00 PM

It should have been done BEFORE it happened again. Indy put winning ahead of his safety, and look what happened. No excuses. Something like that could cripple him the rest of his life. No Super Bowl is worth that.

27. hcgraves says: Dec 22, 2010 4:58 PM

What will all the meathead Patriot fans whine about now?

28. leftysmoke says: Dec 22, 2010 11:05 PM

Pure class. That’s why I’ll always be a Colts fan. Even with a depleted roster, we’re still in contention. Colts on the decline? Yeah right. If we had just Clark and Collie, I doubt we would have lost a game, kind of like last year…. Bunch of chumps in here.

GO COLTS!