Jags complete sweep of sellouts

Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback David Garrard encourages the crowd during the second half of their NFL football game against the Oakland Raiders in Jacksonville

Well, well, well.  The Jaguars have done it.

No, they haven’t qualified for the playoffs.  They’ve accomplished something far more significant — and far less likely, based on preseason expectations.

Every regular-season home game has been sold out.  Every one of them.

The fact that the Jaguars became an unlikely contender in the AFC South hasn’t hurt the effort to sell seats to late-season games against the likes of the Raiders and the Redskins, on December 26.

Still, you did it Jacksonville!  Congratulations!

Technically, a sellout occurs when all non-premium tickets are sold.  The next step for the Jaguars will be to consistently sell out all premium tickets, too.  (And the long-term goal should be to ditch the tarps.)

Either way, the folks in Jacksonville have responded.  Which greatly reduces the possibility of the franchise becoming the L.A. Leopards or the London Shaguars.

And that’s the harsh reality that eventually will dampen spirits in places like Minnesota or San Diego.  The league has indicated that the vacancy in Los Angeles will be filled not by expansion but by relocation.  So some team will be moving, and the teams that can’t sell tickets in their current markets necessarily become more vulnerable.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Jags complete sweep of sellouts”
  1. bluvayner says: Dec 22, 2010 7:33 AM

Not very hard, when you cover half of the seats with tarps.

2. joetoronto says: Dec 22, 2010 7:52 AM

Congratulations indeed, Jags fans.

I have a question, and I’m not hating, just asking.

I noticed while watching the Raiders game last week that allot of seats right around mid field were empty.

What’s the deal with these seats, are they crazy expensive?

3. zoxitic says: Dec 22, 2010 8:07 AM

Jaguars – Comeback team of the year

4. shackdelrio says: Dec 22, 2010 8:45 AM

@joetoronto

The empty seats in the middle of the lower level you see are the club seats. Part of getting tickets in that section is you get access to one of the two large clubs. They are multifloor and have a ton of indoor seating, a lot of food including a solid buffett and the game on hundreds of TVs. So if you notice the large section of empty seats. it means it is probably over 90 degrees or under 60 degrees and the people who can afford those tickets don’t want to sit outside.

5. metcalfer says: Dec 22, 2010 8:51 AM

I was at the Raiders Game. About 30-35% of people there were Raiders Fans. It was pretty wild. And yes as JoeToronto pointed out there was a lot seat down low that were empty. Not sure if they didn’t sell or were season ticket holders that didn’t show up. It was rainy & chilly right up to game time. It was a very good game as the Jaguars won 38-31.

6. jags729 says: Dec 22, 2010 9:09 AM

The jags are quietly putting together one of the best young fanbases in the league. People my age (25) give or take a couple years, is really the first generation to grow up with the jags and now be in the work force and able to buy tickets for themselves and are true life long jags fans. The team completely dumped more than half of the team 2 years ago and is putting together a solid roster of winners and good people that fans can get behind and want to see succeed. You have to give Gene Smith a lot of credit for the rebuilding job he has done and continues to do. As soon as we pull the trigger on our qb of the future and are able to get our hands on a young stud like Matt Ryan or Aaron Rodgers then watch out! This city has responded and will continue to respond to the embarrassment that was last year. Jacksonville is a blue collar town and went through, and is still going through high unemployment numbers and it kind of created a perfect storm what was last year, a year in which we were only able to “sell out” a Thursday night matchup against Indy. We have rebuilt our lines, added underrated skill position players like Mike Thomas, Rashad Jennings, and Jason Hill. Look for professional football to be in Jacksonville for a long time to come and also our fortunes on the field to turn around within the next 2 years!

7. duvalcountyownsyou says: Dec 22, 2010 9:32 AM

@ bluevayner……….you are ignorant.

Our stadium still seats 67,000+ even with the tarps. So go take your uneducated ***, and do some research before you sound like a complete fool. Even with the tarps we have one of the larger stadiums in the league.

GO JAGS!!!!

8. pksiv says: Dec 22, 2010 9:41 AM

@bluvayner – Check your facts….

9. recon163 says: Dec 22, 2010 1:02 PM

@ jags729:

“The jags are quietly putting together one of the best young fanbases in the league. People my age (25) give or take a couple years, is really the first generation to grow up with the jags and now be in the work force and able to buy tickets for themselves and are true life long jags fans.”

This argument has always intrigued me. It assumes that this generation will remain in the JVille area. Which also means that they will find jobs with enough salary to leave them with disposable income to buy tickets.

“This city has responded and will continue to respond to the embarrassment that was last year.”

Well if we take into account the heavy discounting of tickets and special financing deals then yes the city has responded.

“Jacksonville is a blue collar town . . .”

Which leads us to the ‘youngsters staying in JVille’ argument. Blue collar jobs won’t buy suites or club seats, which is what brings non-shared revenue, which is what owners crave.

“Look for professional football to be in Jacksonville for a long time to come . . .”

Or until Wayne Weaver sells the team. Which he tried to do once before if I recall correctly.

10. recon163 says: Dec 22, 2010 1:15 PM

@ pksiv:

“Even with the Tarps, let me repeat, even with the tarps in place, Everbank field has more seats than the stadiums in Seattle, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Tampa, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Minneapolis, Arizona, Oakland and Chicago.”

And your point is?

JVille is at 93.8% attendance capacity. And is doing so after an intense marketing campaign, lowered prices, and 0% interest financing.

The Jags are in trouble, only the devotion to the JVille market shown by Wayne Weaver keeps them in town.

11. SpartaChris says: Dec 22, 2010 1:51 PM

So it looks like the blackouts last season worked after all, at least in the early part of the season. Also helps when you have a team competing for a playoff spot.

12. nationalmediacansuckit says: Dec 22, 2010 3:02 PM

@bluvayner
    @recon163
    I really love how you people can turn something positive and spin it into your on little clueless agenda. Regroup and try again next time.

13. recon163 says: Dec 22, 2010 3:47 PM

@ nationalmediacansuckit:

“I really love how you people can turn something positive and spin it into your on little clueless agenda.”

Clueless? Hardly. Factual? Absolutely.

“Regroup and try again next time.”

Nothing to “regroup” about.

Would be prefer we all be Jags cheerleaders and ignore the truth? Of course you would……but not gonna happen.

14. really35 says: Dec 22, 2010 5:53 PM

recon163 –

Did the Jaguars have a blackout this season?

So go ahead and argue and keep bashing a team that went from having 7 of 8 games blacked out to having zero blackouts in one year. I am pretty sure that 99% of America would agree that is pretty good progress!

15. nationalmediacansuckit says: Dec 22, 2010 6:46 PM

@recon163

Dude seriously, you’re laughable. You’re a rat. Tell you what, give me one of your facts and I’ll squash you like a grape. Once again, you’ve never been to Jax and know nothing of the Jaguar organization, but read 2009 PFT and think you’re a Jaguar genius.
    So let’s go. Give me your fiirst fact so I can give you some insight. I think I know a little more than you about MY team. You little rat. I’ll be waiting for your response.

Once again,
    Jags Apologist

16. recon163 says: Dec 22, 2010 7:14 PM

@ nationalmediacansuckit

“Dude seriously, you’re laughable. You’re a rat.”

Hilarious. I simply pointed out some facts about the sales of tickets and you throw a hissy fit.

“Tell you what, give me one of your facts and I’ll squash you like a grape.”

I did or is reading not fundamental in JVille?

Here let’s try again:
    Tickets were discounted.
    0% financing was offered for those buying season tickets.

“Once again, you’ve never been to Jax and know nothing of the Jaguar organization . . .”

Don’t claim to. Never have.

“Give me your fiirst fact so I can give you some insight. I think I know a little more than you about MY team.”

See above idiot.

17. recon163 says: Dec 22, 2010 7:18 PM

@ really35:

“Did the Jaguars have a blackout this season?”

They most certainly didn’t.

“So go ahead and argue and keep bashing a team that went from having 7 of 8 games blacked out to having zero blackouts in one year.”

Not bashing at all just pointing out some facts. Is that bothersome?

“It doesn’t matter how the Jags did it the fact remains they didn’t blackout a game and you can’t say anything to change that fact!”

Nope I can’t. But I will ask: How many weeks did the Jags need extensions before they hit the ‘no blackout’ threshold?

18. hb1148 says: Dec 22, 2010 7:42 PM

I don’t know why this is such a surprise. Other than a bad year during the economic meltdown in ’09 and a few blackouts when stadium capacity was over 76,000, the Jaguars have historically sold out. To the person who said the Jags cover half the seats, here are some facts. The Jaguars stadium capacity at the time the tarps were installed was 3rd largest in the NFL. Since a bit over 9,000 seats were covered, stadium capacity is a bit above 67,000 which puts them in the middle of the pack in the NFL. Teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago reduce their stadium capacity by just building smaller stadiums. In Jax we did it by tarping a few tarps. What’s the difference? (Hint: that’s just a rhetorical question.)

To the person who asked about the east club seats, thats the one area of the stadium were some premium seats are unsold, about 3000 or so. Those will probably sell this off season depending on how the team finishes.

19. joetoronto says: Dec 22, 2010 8:06 PM

Thanks, shackdelrio.

Those seats sound pretty cool.

20. NoHomeTeam says: Dec 23, 2010 3:51 AM

“Either way, the folks in Jacksonville have responded. Which greatly reduces the possibility of the franchise becoming the L.A. Leopards or the London Shaguars.”

Little did you know, Mike, that I secretly copyrighted the term L.A. Leopards and all significant derivatives two months ago. You owe me a nickle; I’ll accept a check.

You’re welcome to keep using the [shudder] Shaguars bit, though.

21. alfiess says: Dec 23, 2010 9:00 AM

@recon163

First of all, they lowered ticket prices for two sections. You’re making it sound like they lowered prices across the board which is false. Second, how many teams finance season tickets WITH interest? The Jaguars have 0% financed tickets for YEARS. This is nothing new.

Heavy discounting is woefully disengenious and incorrect. Again, they discounted 2-4 sections, in the upperdeck. They went from $390 to $300, if I recall correctly. No other sections changed in price. You’re acting like they severly discounted every section in the stadium, when in reality it was very few sections.

As far as the East club that always looks “empty”, many have already said the majority of people go indoors in the Club area. Not only that, but it’s the visiting side. The west side of the stadium is always packed full. The east, even early on in the team’s history, was always spotty.

You recall wrong. Weaver attempted to sell a small minority stake in the team.

It’d help if you knew the “truth”, but you clearly made it known you don’t.

22. nationalmediacansuckit says: Dec 23, 2010 9:02 AM

@recon163
    That’s real cute how you copy and paste each sentence then reply and then you try to sound intelligent and snooty with “Is that bothersome” remarks. You’re still laughable.

I’m still waiting on your facts. Financing options, is that all you got. That was pretty smart and everyone except for you would and have already agreed. So give me some substance. Oh by the way as far as getting an extension to avoid blackout this year, just ONE. 2 weeks ago against Raiders. See, I think I know just a little bit more than you once again. Nice try though.
    You gotta come back a ittle harder, you still haven’t given me ONE SINGLE FACT that makes your point. I’m still waiting.

23. really35 says: Dec 23, 2010 9:44 AM

recon163 – Yikes! Well now that “alfiess” took you to school I don’t really even need to post again but I wanted to make sure that you realize that the Jags went from blacking out 7 of 8 games last year to zero this year. It is called progress! I have some buddies who work in the ticket sales office and their goal was to have zero blackouts this season (which seemed like an unreachable goal after last season). Well guess what they achieved their goal in 2010! Now they have a new set of goals for 2011. That’s how it works when you are down and trying to get back up. It doesn’t happen overnight. Nobody(except maybe you) expected they would go from 7 games being blacked out to have a waiting list for season tickets. Once again it is called making “Progress” And the Jags have made progress selling tickets. End of Story!

24. recon163 says: Dec 23, 2010 9:53 AM

@ alfiess:

“First of all, they lowered ticket prices for two sections.”
    Uh no……from Jags Gab: “The Jaguars have cut ticket prices for 2010, hoping to lure back some of the 17,000 season-ticket holders who didn’t renew last year. The Jaguars have reduced season tickets in two sections in the upper deck by $90, reduced season tickets in four sections in the lower bowl by $100, and reduced season tickets in two club sections by $300″

“Second, how many teams finance season tickets WITH interest?”
    No idea. Do you know?

“The Jaguars have 0% financed tickets for YEARS.”
    Really? Interesting. Is this an NFL norm?

“Heavy discounting is woefully disengenious and incorrect. Again, they discounted 2-4 sections, in the upperdeck.”
    See above. Also please note that the Jags were one of two teams to cut ticket prices in 2010. I have noticed they have increased ticket prices for the 2011 season. Let’s see what effect that has.

“They went from $390 to $300, if I recall correctly. No other sections changed in price.”
    As noted above you recall incorrectly.

“You recall wrong. Weaver attempted to sell a small minority stake in the team.”
    Times Union 2008: “The Jaguars had no immediate comment Wednesday night on a Philadelphia Daily News report that team owner Wayne Weaver is negotiating to sell the team to billionaire C. Dean Metropoulos . . .”

Weaver later denied the report and stated he was looking for minority investors. There have also been other reports that the team has been for sale. Granted, the proof is in the pudding as the team still remains in Weaver’s hands.

“For someone who talks about the facts, you’re horribly off-base. Might want to actually, you know… check the facts.”
    I do check the facts unlike…….you who goes off recollection and claims to be factual.

“It’d help if you knew the “truth”, but you clearly made it known you don’t.”

See above.

25. recon163 says: Dec 23, 2010 10:08 AM

@ nationalmediacansuckit:

Boy you really are stupid. Here let’s go through your exceptionally ignorant post.

“That’s real cute how you copy and paste each sentence then reply . . .”
    I am answering exactly what you wrote dummy. How would you prefer it be done?

” . . . and then you try to sound intelligent and snooty with “Is that bothersome” remarks.”
    Well is it?

“You’re still laughable.”
    Guess it is.

“Financing options, is that all you got. That was pretty smart and everyone except for you would and have already agreed. So give me some substance.”
    What would you like? Oh wait how about the next paragraph…..

“Oh by the way as far as getting an extension to avoid blackout this year, just ONE.”
    Really? This is from NFL.com dated Nov 18 2010:
    “Meanwhile, the Jacksonville Jaguars have been granted a 24-hour extension to the NFL blackout deadline.

The Jaguars have until 1 p.m. ET Friday to sell enough tickets for the blackout to be lifted and Sunday’s game against the Cleveland Browns to be televised locally and in secondary markets. The club needs to sell about 3,000 non-premium tickets to avoid a blackout.”

What happened? I though you were gonna crush me like a grape? I give you a softball question and like an idiot you can’t even get that right. Now I could go back and check other weeks but why bother, it wouldn’t make sense to you anyway.

“See, I think I know just a little bit more than you once again.”
    Obviously not.

26. recon163 says: Dec 23, 2010 10:15 AM

@ really35:

“Well now that “alfiess” took you to school . . .”
    See my reply to him and try again.

“I don’t really even need to post again but I wanted to make sure that you realize that the Jags went from blacking out 7 of 8 games last year to zero this year.”
    Wow another dummy. I think I acknowledged that in an earlier reply to you.

” . . .to have a waiting list for season tickets.”
    The Jags have a waiting list for season tickets? Really? I would love to see that noted in an article or report somewhere.

“End of Story!”

27. really35 says: Dec 23, 2010 4:05 PM

recon163 – Might want to read my post again. I never said that the Jags have a waiting list for season tickets. They never have and I am sure they never will. Let me try this again! My point is the Jags have made progress selling tickets! This is a fact that you can’t dispute. They aren’t the Steelers, Green Bay, etc. when it comes to selling tickets and that isn’t what this article is all about. You can continue to spin it however you want but you will not win. It is a fact that the Jags have done a better job selling tickets this year. The basis of this entire article is to let people know that the Jaguars had zero blackouts this season which is another fact that you can’t dispute.

“Usually when someone writes this it is an attempt to stop the conversation because they have little left to argue with. I think it goes on. So no the story is not over…..”

Merry Christmas!

28. nationalmediacansuckit says: Dec 23, 2010 4:41 PM

@recon163
    I don’t recall writing a question for you to answer. I was still waiting on these “facts” that were going to prove your point as to how horrible the Jaguars are. You still have nothing. This has been fun, but I’m done. This elementary back and forth stuff is old now. See you around tough guy.

29. recon163 says: Dec 23, 2010 5:13 PM

@ nationalmediacansuckit

“I don’t recall writing a question for you to answer.”

So you don’t want an retort to your claims? Whatever you write should be without response? Boy you are stupid.

“I was still waiting on these “facts” that were going to prove your point as to how horrible the Jaguars are.”

I never said the Jags were ‘horrible’. Your lack of comprehension is amazing but not unexpected.

“You still have nothing. This has been fun, but I’m done.”
    Well of course you are and you have been for some time now, but you are too ignorant to acknowledge it.

“This elementary back and forth stuff is old now. See you around tough guy.”
    See ya……

30. recon163 says: Dec 23, 2010 6:01 PM

@ really35 says

“Might want to read my post again. I never said that the Jags have a waiting list for season tickets.”

Here is what you wrote: “Nobody(except maybe you) expected they would go from 7 games being blacked out to have a waiting list for season tickets.”

You are implying they do. But you have corrected yourself and acknowledge they do not.

“My point is the Jags have made progress selling tickets! This is a fact that you can’t dispute.”

I am not disputing this fact at all. But the context of how it was accomplished must be acknowledged. True? All I have pointed out is the strategies used by the team to make said progress. And will they continue along those lines?

“It is a fact that the Jags have done a better job selling tickets this year.”
    True. But again what is the context? To say the Jags have turned the corner is ignoring how they went about doing it. And in ignoring that context you give yourself a false sense of accomplishment.

Here let’s see what the Jags have to say about it: ““Having prices locked in for three years and the convenience of
    spreading payments, interest-free over 30 months, has proven to be an attractive option for many fans.”

First the team is selling 2013 tickets at 2010 prices. Fans that buy into that deal have already saved the 2011 increase. Secondly the team is allowing fans to ‘finance’ those tickets over thirty months. Third there is no interest involved in the financing. It should be no surprise that ticket sales increased. If they hadn’t increased, then it most likely would have been a death knell for JVille.

And yet, the team has required extensions for at least two games to achieve a ‘TV sellout’. And yet they still do not truly sell out the stadium. They are ranked 23rd in attendance for 2010 which is a movement upward from 30th in 2009. They are running at 94% of the stadium capacity. (I wonder what their norm is since 1995? I will have to do the math on that one.)

“The basis of this entire article is to let people know that the Jaguars had zero blackouts this season which is another fact that you can’t dispute.”

And I don’t, but again ‘at what price?’ is my question. How many of those ‘sell outs’ were made possible by the team buying their tickets back? How many were done at the last minute before asking for an extension? (I know that at least two needed extensions.)

“Once again you can’t possibly argue with me that the Jags didn’t make progress selling tickets so yes…….. End of Story!”

Well of course the story is over for you as you don’t want to hear anything that may not fit your viwepoint, but 2011 looms ahead so it is not over at all.

“Oh and in case you aren’t sure what the word progress means. Here is the definition….. progress – a movement toward a goal; growth or development; continuous improvement.”

Is it real and sustainable progress? Shall it last? Or will it evaporate once the special deals are shut down? Time will tell, but as it stands, not all is as rosy as you would like to believe.

You see the glass as half full and as a fan good for you. I am being a little more pragmatic about it.

31. recon163 says: Dec 23, 2010 7:50 PM

@ really35

Since I mentioned this to you here ya go…..
    Jacksonville attendance averages:
    1995- 90%
    1996- 87%
    1997- 91%
    1998- 91%
    1999- 88%
    2000- 78%
    2001- 79%
    2002- 73%
    2003- 73%
    2004- 90%
    2005- 85%- Tarps introduced before season start.
    2006- 99%
    2007- 97%
    2008- 97%
    2009- 73%

Out of curiosity what could have caused the drop from 98 to 00? Weren’t the Jags a playoff team during that period? Was it Gators competition?

Sources: