Buccaneers, Bengals blacked out; 2010 NFL blackout total at 22

ochocinco

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Cincinnati Bengals will be blacked out on local television on Sunday, meaning the NFL has now had 22 local blackouts in the 2010 season — the same number it had in 2009, which was a five-year high.

And last year’s mark may be broken before the day is out: The Raiders haven’t announced yet whether they’ve sold out their game against the Colts, and the Chiefs haven’t announced whether they’ve sold out their game against the Titans.

The increase in local TV blackouts is a sign that even the mighty NFL isn’t immune to the realities of the nation’s economy. It’s also a reminder that rising TV ratings haven’t corresponded with more people buying tickets.

But it’s not all bad news at the gate: The Rams, who have been among the teams that struggled to sell tickets in recent years, have already announced that their surprisingly relevant Sunday game with the 49ers is sold out. And even the lowly Bills managed to sell out their game against the Patriots.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
17 Responses to “Buccaneers, Bengals blacked out; 2010 NFL blackout total at 22”
  1. rick1922 says: Dec 23, 2010 6:00 PM

And the NFL wants to play 18 games they can;t sell out 16 games.

2. xtb3 says: Dec 23, 2010 6:14 PM

economy! raiders, chiefs and bucs still alive for playoffs in 2nd last week.

3. cjspiller12 says: Dec 23, 2010 6:20 PM

And thank you Michael David Smith for you’re inspiring article and statement “even the lowly Bills managed to sell out their game against the Patriots”. The Bills are not the worse team in the NFL. Western New York is a great place to live!!! Buffalo is labeled the City of Good Neighbors for a good reason. Just so you know, this is why the Bills game is a sell out:

Orchard Park, NY – The Buffalo Bills vs. New England Patriots game this Sunday, December 26, 2010 at Ralph Wilson Stadium is sold out and will be televised locally thanks to a last-minute ticket purchase from Russell J. Salvatore of Russell’s Steaks, Chops & More in Williamsville, NY.

When Salvatore heard that the Bills game was close to not being on television, he decided to do something special for the Western New York Community.

“I bought the remaining tickets so the Bills could be televised locally for our community, and so that some of the less fortunate could enjoy going to the game,” said Salvatore. “This is a Christmas present to the community, and I wish everyone in Buffalo a Happy Holidays! It feels good to do it, I love doing it and this comes from the heart.”

The remaining tickets will be distributed to various military and local youth charitable organizations in the Western New York community

4. mike83ri says: Dec 23, 2010 6:25 PM

“And even the lowly Bills managed to sell out their game against the Patriots.”

In years past that’s been common because the Pats fans can get cheap tickets to see their playoff-bound team play, so they usually buy them up. But this year and last year, the game has been on Christmas weekend so that’s still a good sign.

5. artiesliver says: Dec 23, 2010 7:30 PM

High ticket prices + awesome HDTV’s in the home + RedZone Channel=BLACKOUTS

6. melikefootball says: Dec 23, 2010 7:35 PM

Does this surprise anyone? God-del and his office want to say they care about the fans.. I think the fans are answering LOUD & CLEAR..don’t mess with the game we love.

7. joetoronto says: Dec 23, 2010 8:33 PM

And the NFLPA wants more money.

8. 8man says: Dec 23, 2010 8:58 PM

I’m a Patriots fan and I live in Baltimore. I’d pay good money to see them on my TV, in my basement and on cable. I’m not putting a dish on my house.

Instead, I go to a bar, watch the game there and give the bar all of my money for beer and chicken wings.

Oh wait, that’s not so bad……

9. 2011lockout says: Dec 23, 2010 9:53 PM

Here is the link for Russell J. Salvatore. Good for him. He bought 7,000 Bills tickets to give to the military and others that would like to attend the game. http://www.wgr550.com/Sunday-s-Game-is-a-Sell-Out/8842835

10. 8man says: Dec 23, 2010 10:14 PM

Oh wait. It’s the Bengals?

Mike Brown, no one is buying what you are selling. The people in Cincy have to hold their noses. But when you take your stuff to other towns, they just bag it and toss it.

Loser.

11. tommytd says: Dec 23, 2010 10:49 PM

Maybe the quality of the product is declining!The officiating certainly sucks and is getting worse all the time. Commercials and TV timeouts have extended 1 hour of “playing time” to 3 1/2 hours. Instant replay is ruining the game and the commissioner is a whimp. Put it all together and what do you get…more blackouts next year (if there’s even a season next year)

12. jefbob says: Dec 23, 2010 11:16 PM

The product is declining alright….and its the product that Mike Brown puts on the field in Cincinnati. We are tired of it. The taxpayers pay for his stadium under the premise that he needs it to be competitive and he’s put nothing but sh** on the field for most of the years he’s been here. Call us fair weather fans if you want, but I will always root for the Bengals. I just have no other way to “voice” my opinion than to refuse to give Mike any more money to put this sh** on the field. If he is going to hold the city hostage for the awesome stadium deal he got, then he should be required to do whatever it takes to win!

13. raiders757 says: Dec 24, 2010 1:41 AM

#
    8man says: Dec 23, 2010 8:58 PM

Oh wait, that’s not so bad……
    —————————————————-

Cheers!!! …for getting your football fix the old school way. sometimes the bar experience is just as good as being there.

14. db105 says: Dec 24, 2010 4:12 AM

Playoff contending teams can’t sellout means that the unsold tickets are overpriced.

15. tommytd says: Dec 24, 2010 9:23 AM

=============================================
    When cameras start showing stadiums with half the seats empty or showing fans in the seats with paper bags over their heads, that usually does it. Start a movement and embarrass the hell out of your owner!

16. dcowboy77 says: Dec 24, 2010 11:14 AM

Your total is wrong
    With cin, oak, tb this week the total is 26.
    wk / blackout
    13 cin, tb
    14 buf
    15 cin,oak,tb
    16 cin,oak,tb

17. jefbob says: Dec 24, 2010 2:43 PM

================
    That’s what we are doing