Bucs’ Preston Parker now playing both ways

Preston Parker, Brandon Anderson

The days when NFL players like Chuck Bednarik could stay on the field for all 60 minutes are long gone. But there are still a handful of players who manage to contribute on both offense and defense, and the latest is Bucs rookie Preston Parker, who started the season as a receiver but is finishing it as a safety.

“I took some reps at safety the last three weeks and that was fun. Then I got a little quarterback pressure in the game,” Parker said of pressuring Lions quarterback Drew Stanton on Sunday, per PewterReport.com. “It felt good just to get out there and go for it. I was always aggressive playing football coming up through Pop Warner. I’ve always played defense so I’m familiar with it. I’ve always played safety and did that in high school.”

Parker isn’t the only Bucs rookie to play both ways this season; Erik Lorig made the team as a defensive end but has switched to fullback. And other teams (including the Chiefs, who have gotten offensive touchdowns from defensive players Mike Vrabel and Shaun Smith) have also taken advantage of players who can go both ways.

But it’s still rare. Bucs coach Raheem Morris says it’s all about putting talented players where ever they can help the team.

“The young man is talented as all get out,” Morris said of Parker. “He came in here and kind of forced his will on the team and made the team. He made it as a receiver. He’s a talented young man. . . . When a guy creates value for you like Preston Parker does, it’s special.”

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
8 Responses to “Bucs’ Preston Parker now playing both ways”
  1. hobartbaker says: Dec 23, 2010 3:44 PM

When the O is out he goes by Preston. When the D is out he is Parker.

2. kevo126 says: Dec 23, 2010 4:03 PM

thats what she said

3. touchdownroddywhite says: Dec 23, 2010 4:06 PM

You know, if I hadn’t opened the article, I might have thought you were saying something completely different.

That’s how rumors get started you know…

4. moolah954 says: Dec 23, 2010 5:11 PM

pause

5. bucforever says: Dec 23, 2010 7:08 PM

All season long Coach Morris and General Manager Mark Dominick have continually been able to restock this beaten up Buc defense with some very talented and dedicated young men. I do not think it is luck that the Bucs have so much depth and the backups are holding up so well.It shows that they have done their home work on these guys and it should pay off next year for sure. GO BUCS!

6. hendeeze says: Dec 23, 2010 7:24 PM

Whos balls did S. Smith grab to get a TD?>

7. sjoyner56 says: Dec 23, 2010 9:49 PM

gotta love it when a player can pull that off,i will be pulling for him !

8. clinttaurus says: Dec 24, 2010 12:54 AM

OK, the headline…followed by a picture of him appearing to dance like a Rockette…I see what you did there…