Deadline passes with no word on Chiefs blackout

Ryan Succop

With a 9-5 record and a great shot at the playoffs and back-to-back home games to end the season, the Chiefs should easily sell out the renovated Arrowhead Stadium, right?

Um, define “easily.”

The 72-hour deadline for selling enough tickets to permit Sunday’s game against the Titans to be televised locally has come and gone.  Per Joel Thorman of ArrowheadPride.com, the Chiefs haven’t announced a blackout or a sellout.  Instead, they’ve said they’re working with the league to get the game on television.

A quick Google search revealed that no NFL blackouts have been reported or announced yet, even though the 72-hour window has closed for the afternoon games.  Our guess?  The league is giving teams on the “watch” list an unannounced extension, in the hopes that all those last-minute Santas out there will choose to buy Mrs. Claus two tickets to Sunday’s games.

Hey, it’s better than two tickets to Guys & Dolls.

UPDATE:  NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tells us that the deadline wasn’t relaxed due to the holiday.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
8 Responses to “Deadline passes with no word on Chiefs blackout”
  1. hobartbaker says: Dec 23, 2010 4:58 PM

Finally Chief Blackout spoke.

“It is with a heavy heart and a river of tears that I come before my proud people to say, this terrible day, ‘No T.V.’. For as far as a buffalo can roam in five days, to the north, and to the south. To the east and to the west. Be brave my friends and take this counsel. You still have your DVDs and video games. Use them wisely and well. Hey yehyeh, heyyy yeyy yeyyyyy!”.

2. jaguarrule says: Dec 23, 2010 5:06 PM

It’d be a disappointment to allow them to slide under the radar when so many other teams are held to a high standard in regards to selling tickets.

3. cthunder67 says: Dec 23, 2010 5:31 PM

Either way it’s BS by the NFL. This is a team that has a chance at making the playoffs and they won’t show it because of BS Blackout rules.

4. lowleadman says: Dec 23, 2010 5:52 PM

Can someone explain to me how they can’t sell out a Chiefs game? Isn’t KC one of the teams with a long list of season ticket wannabees? I can understand a place like Jacksonville or San Diego not selling out…everyone is at the beach. But KC?

5. kcchiefsgal says: Dec 23, 2010 6:14 PM

BREAKING NEWS…..Chiefs game will be televised and NOT blacked out! I’ll be there in person yelling, screaming and cheering my Chiefs on to VICTORY! GO CHIEFS!!!!

6. wfh88 says: Dec 23, 2010 6:19 PM

lowleadman says:
    Dec 23, 2010 5:52 PM
    Can someone explain to me how they can’t sell out a Chiefs game?

Sure:
    1) Small Population Market yet Very large stadium
    2) Terrible economy
    3) 25 degrees
    4) Day after Christmas

7. bigdawg24 says: Dec 23, 2010 7:58 PM

The Kansas City fans were hosed so bad the past few years… the city hasn’t seemed to have bond with this team like the Marty and Vermeil years.

8. sportsdrenched says: Dec 23, 2010 11:37 PM

I’m kind of surprised by this. There was a time a Chiefs ticket was the hottest in town.

After winning 6 games in two years there’s still a lot fences to mend with the fanbase.

If I still lived in KC I’d probably buy some tickets.