Lions may discipline Raiola for yelling at fan

Dominic Raiola AP

As Florio mentioned this morning, Lions center Dominic Raiola made an obscene request of a Dolphins fan after Sunday’s win.  Raiola’s request won’t be granted, but he could wind up paying for the incident.

“That’s under current evaluation and there’s potential for team discipline, yes,” coach Jim Schwartz said Monday according to MLive.com.

Schwartz watched a copy of the video on Monday and attributes some of the problem to Detroit’s newfound experience of winning on the road.

“When you’re winning on the road, you need to expect to win and you need to know those things are going to happen and we have to do a better job responding.”

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
15 Responses to “Lions may discipline Raiola for yelling at fan”
  1. jaggedmark says: Dec 27, 2010 5:27 PM

Raiola can’t act like he’s been there before, because he hasn’t been there before.

Nonetheless, sit him down week 17.

2. bodybaggame says: Dec 27, 2010 5:30 PM

Hell, the Lions win a couple of road games, and now the reason he acted like a child is because of “winning on the road”. Are you freakin kidding me, he’s a grown man…Talk about making excuses. Tell ya what coach, just take away his crayons and make him stand in the corner….

3. nokoolaidcowboy says: Dec 27, 2010 5:31 PM

This is getting ridiculous. He probably told the fan to go fornicate himself. And it was unprovoked, right?

4. richm2256 says: Dec 27, 2010 5:31 PM

While Schwartz may have been saying the “P.C.” thing as well, let me just say that while I expect NFL players to behave professionally, who knows what that fan yelled at Raiola?

Sometimes you just have to say “suck my d–k” to an idiot fan.

5. philcommander says: Dec 27, 2010 5:39 PM

They have a video of him tapping his foot in the mens bathroom stall????

6. dg0122 says: Dec 27, 2010 6:25 PM

that line worked for him in college in Lincoln

7. joetoronto says: Dec 27, 2010 6:44 PM

richm2256 says: Dec 27, 2010 5:31 PM

Sometimes you just have to say “suck my d–k” to an idiot fan.
    *********************************************************
    I couldn’t disagree more.

As a professional athlete, you just can’t do that.

Ignore the idiot and walk away.

8. moolah954 says: Dec 27, 2010 6:52 PM

Dolphins stink time to go after McNabb

9. jimmylions says: Dec 27, 2010 6:57 PM

He’s a professional, and when he’s at work he represents not just himself, but the product brand. Of course they should fine him.

This has nothing to do with being on the road or winning. He’s heard this plenty of times in Detroit throughout his career. There are people who go to sporting events just because they can get away screaming stuff like this at the players.

Tolerating this stupid stuff comes with the massively stupid salaries these guys get paid.

10. ralphwilsonsucks says: Dec 27, 2010 7:39 PM

Fine that dork Trey Wingo!

11. palinforpresidentofnorthkorea says: Dec 27, 2010 8:00 PM

Could be worse.

He could be a Redskin.

12. hobartbaker says: Dec 27, 2010 8:13 PM

Hola! Raiola!

13. clinttaurus says: Dec 27, 2010 8:33 PM

I think he was just misunderstood…I believe he’s just Jewish and urged the fan “Spin My Dreidel!”

14. pftisbecominglame says: Dec 28, 2010 3:57 AM

Great job of Schwartz trying to cover up for his idiot player. Sounds more to me like he was excited his team won and decided to yuck it up with his team mates over something he yelled at a fan. Regardless of what was said to him, he should have continued into the locker room without a word. Even, “Yeah, well we won!” would have been better than what he chose to say.

Schwartz would be wise to nip this in the bud, as it is but a hop skip and a jump to his players settling into an entitled mindset, where that “one or two wins on the road” becomes thinking he can do whatever the hell he wants.

15. myspaceyourface says: Dec 28, 2010 9:15 AM

. . . . and I’m sure the fans were complete gentlemen congratulating him on the win. . .

This is not a story for me. . . Have you been to a pro game recently. . . The fans in any stadium are drunk, obnoxious, and annoying. . .

I’m surprised players don’t end up in the stands beating down some poor drunk P.O.C.

Fans can say anything they want, yet the player is expected to never respond. . . . Get over it, he did.