Chris Johnson thinks “it’s bogus” he’s not in the Pro Bowl

chrisjohnson1

Last year, Chris Johnson was generally recognized as the best running back in football. This year, Pro Bowl voters didn’t even select Johnson as one of the three best running backs in the AFC.

Jacksonville’s Maurice Jones-Drew is the AFC’s Pro Bowl starter at running back, with Houston’s Arian Foster and Kansas City’s Jamaal Charles backing him up. Johnson is an alternate, and he’s not happy about that.

I think it’s bogus,” Johnson said, per Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “I figured I should be a lock. I am top three in the league. . . . I didn’t think there was a way I wouldn’t get in. It was disappointing. I was surprised. But there’s not much I can do about it.”

Johnson is right that he’s Top 3 in the league in rushing yards, behind Foster and Charles and ahead of Jones-Drew by one yard. But Johnson is wrong in thinking he’s had a better year, overall, than the three running backs who were chosen ahead of him.

Although I would have preferred Charles as the starter, when it came to selecting the three AFC running backs, the Pro Bowl voters got it right. It’s Johnson’s assessment that’s bogus.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Chris Johnson thinks “it’s bogus” he’s not in the Pro Bowl”
  1. pukey60 says: Dec 29, 2010 7:11 PM

No 28, a quick question. What happened to your 2,500 yard season?

2. importantpftcomment says: Dec 29, 2010 7:12 PM

Maybe this will teach him not to guarantee 2500 yards and claim he is better than AP!

3. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Dec 29, 2010 7:13 PM

Maybe it’s because he’s such a loudmouth that said he’d run for whatever ridiculous amount of yards he said. So vs. his own loudmouth prediction he didn’t quite measure up. Karma is a biatch. Have a little humble pie Chris.

4. xanderslugger says: Dec 29, 2010 7:16 PM

Chris Johnson of the Raiders deserves to be in the Pro Bowl more than the one in the Titans

5. joetoronto says: Dec 29, 2010 7:16 PM

“Johnson breaks more long runs than anyone, but he’s too inconsistent: He gets stuffed at or behind the line of scrimmage too often, and he’s been a non-factor in too many games.”

Bingo, that’s why Peterson is more valuable.

6. burntorangehorn says: Dec 29, 2010 7:17 PM

Spot-on editorial paragraphs at the end there, MDS. I don’t believe you were the PFT writer harping about how the Titans should pay Johnson a huge new contract last year, but this is exactly why I was scratching my head about whoever it was that was posting that nonsense.

7. bnwpnw says: Dec 29, 2010 7:19 PM

Here’s what’s bogus: I (like some other pro bowl voters perhaps) drafted Chris Johnson #1 in my fantasy league and because Chris Johnson was a non-factor in too many fantasy games, I ended up out of the playoffs. Wayyyy out of the playoffs. I almost renamed my team “Chris Johnson’s losers.” Should have, in retrospect.

Hang your head in shame Chris Johnson. In shame.

8. dg0122 says: Dec 29, 2010 7:20 PM

you should be a lock, but you and your team tanked this year, Mr. 2500

9. tdl8 says: Dec 29, 2010 7:21 PM

Just because CJ had 1 great season doesn’t make him a great RB! He is a decent back that had 1 lucky season and got a big ego because of it! His numbers will only decline from here on out because he is OVER RATED!

Oh yeah… Hey CJ, what happened to your claim that you would have at least 2500 rushing yards this season? You are barely over halfway with 1 game to go! HaHa! Put your ego back on the shelf because you aren’t that good!

10. dilberry says: Dec 29, 2010 7:23 PM

You and Peyton Hillis should picket at the Pro Bowl

11. canjura says: Dec 29, 2010 7:24 PM

Agreed on Charles having the better year and deserving it more (being a starter) than MoJo.

12. txtuff says: Dec 29, 2010 7:24 PM

What happened to Johnson 2000 plus yards he was going to get this year? And now he wants the Pro Bowl handed to him! Man I’m glad he is with the Titans. Foster deserves to start, he has more rushing yards, more recieving yards, and more TDs then the rest. Haven’t heard a pip from him because he is just happy to be in the NFL!

13. tdl8 says: Dec 29, 2010 7:28 PM

Maybe if CJ didn’t have 20lbs of gold on his grill he would get across the line of scrimmage more often and not have so many negative yard plays!
    All that grill work has to weigh down his head and make it harder to pound the ball through the line in short yardage situations! LOL!

14. oscojoe says: Dec 29, 2010 7:31 PM

I guess we now know another reason why the Titans had a bad year, when are these athlete’s going to learn that when you play a team sport it is about the team not the individual. TomBrady has it right all he & his teamates care about is the Super Bowl not the Pro Bowl. New Englands success is obvious why can’t all these other organizations see what it takes as a team not individual records, stats or press clippings. Get a Clue CJ!!!

15. jstrizzle says: Dec 29, 2010 7:35 PM

Well at least we don’t have to hear the who is better Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson arguments for like 3 or 4 months. This is really a blessing in disguise. Oh Adrian made the Pro Bowl so maybe this settles the argument.

16. harrisonhits2 says: Dec 29, 2010 7:36 PM

LOL what a piece of walking fecal matter this guy is. The Titans were idiots for giving him more money.

17. FinFan68 says: Dec 29, 2010 7:36 PM

He’s just mad that he got “disrespected” and lost out on some extra cash (and maybe an incentive or two) Dem gode teefs and hot rimz be spensive

18. steeltownpride says: Dec 29, 2010 7:38 PM

I would put Mendenhall in over CJ as well . 2 or 3 years from now when he loses that speed he will be average and replaced . Ask Willie Parker about losin your speed .

19. wildturkey1o1 says: Dec 29, 2010 7:39 PM

I had him in fantasy league this year,he doesn’t deserve it anyway.

20. slatetundra07 says: Dec 29, 2010 7:42 PM

Apparently, having a winning record is a requirement if you want to get into the PB.

And if you do…having a better winning record will automatically make you a lock.

21. Dynasty says: Dec 29, 2010 7:55 PM

Charles should start! YPC are second to who?? OJ?? This guy is a beast and with what 80 plus less carries then Foster and Drew? Again the NFL is really starting to look dumb

22. fanofthegame says: Dec 29, 2010 7:57 PM

————————————————

That’s because he’s without one of the best run blocking tight ends in the game now; Alge Crumpler.

23. bigjd says: Dec 29, 2010 8:00 PM

If he ran on the field as well as he runs his mouth he would be in the pro bowl. If you want to tell everyone how good you are, you need to back it up.

24. slickzmoney says: Dec 29, 2010 8:01 PM

@bnwpnm – I drafted CJ 1st overall but was lucky enough to also have Mendenhall, BJGE, and Blount. CJ sat alot and i won final. Next year CJ will drop to mid/late first round in fantasy(or lower). Sorry CJ, last year’s success does not factor into this year’s accolades.

25. blmonroe12 says: Dec 29, 2010 8:03 PM

Johnson talked WAY too much before and during the season. He set himself up for failure with his self imposed lofty expectations and fell way short. He did this to himself..

26. coachstram says: Dec 29, 2010 8:05 PM

This guy is such an insufferable P.O.S.

Maybe while he’s reviewing the stats in the morning paper, he might want to peek at that other little stat – wins and losses.

This organization is turning into a joke – about lose the best piece if they fire Fisher.

Imagine Payton, Harris, or Sayers saying this. How long would it take for Singletary, Lambert and Butkus to render a much needed attitude adjustment?

Sadly, when people see the teef, rims, and jew-ry, this is most see as bieng the NFL. THIS is why people bitch and complain about how much these guys make.

27. kegpack says: Dec 29, 2010 8:13 PM

McFadden is the one who got snubbed, not this jive talkin loser.

28. realdeal12 says: Dec 29, 2010 8:34 PM

I agree that McFadden got snubbed and Im not a Raider fan. I don’t think MJD should be there over him. MJD was non-existent until mid-season. I think a consistent producer should be there instead of a “flash in the pan”

29. moneymike23 says: Dec 29, 2010 8:35 PM

You know what else is bogus CJ? How about the fact I went 5-8 in fantasy b/c you were so offal.

30. pervyharvin says: Dec 29, 2010 8:41 PM

Wow thug, guess AD is way better than you…big talking doucher.

31. ravensj5 says: Dec 29, 2010 8:59 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA…..

32. takemytalentstosoutheuclid says: Dec 29, 2010 9:00 PM

Hillis deserves to be there more than CJ.

Look at the numbers:

Hillis 1164 yds rushing. 11TD’s and 474 yds receiving and 3 TD’s. His two best games came against Baltimore (144 yds rushing, 1 TD along with 7 receptions for 36 yds)and New England (184 yds rushing and 2 TDS along with 2 receptions). Also had a 3 TD game, albeit against Carolina.

Johnson 1325 Yds rushing and 11TD’s and 194 yds receiving with zero TD’s. His 2 best games? Against Oakland (and Dallas.

33. crise40g says: Dec 29, 2010 9:03 PM

1. JCharles
    2. AFoster
    3. a)McFadden b)Hillis
    4. MJD

34. jackleone says: Dec 29, 2010 9:11 PM

I had him in my fantasy league this year and he was too inconsistent. But being 3rd in the league in rushing is nothing to sneeze at. The only thing that sucks about 2000 yards rushing in a season is: people will expect that from him every year. Anything less is considered a disappointment.

35. nflwatcher says: Dec 29, 2010 9:18 PM

Why don’t say what you really mean Chris, “its bogus I missed out on a $250,000 Pro bowl bonus”.

36. bbb82 says: Dec 29, 2010 9:39 PM

Well when you tell people you’ll get 2500 yards and then fall drastically short, people might possibly view that as a failure.

37. brandongrantham says: Dec 29, 2010 10:02 PM

I read most of the topics on pft. I just wonder what the hell is the point in everyone leaving such negative comments about everything. I have never posted in anything before but it pisses me off that anytime someone has something to say it’s always bashing the article. Didn’t anybodys mom teach them the saying “if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say it” as far as I’m concerned you guys are the real dipsh.its. So peace out and quit being so damn negative about everything.

38. raiderapologist says: Dec 29, 2010 10:05 PM

realdeal12 says: Dec 29, 2010 8:34 PM

I agree that McFadden got snubbed and Im not a Raider fan.
    ———-

I don’t think he got snubbed, but he was a nice surprise this season. Nobody is calling him a bust any more, and that’s good enough for this year. I’d put Tommy Kelly higher on the snub list than McFadden, but it’s still just the Pro Bowl, nothing but a beauty contest and marketing tool for the league. If it wasn’t a joke they wouldn’t have to cram it in a week before the final game.

39. burntorangehorn says: Dec 29, 2010 10:24 PM

I think it’d be interesting to go back and see what these very same PFT comment-posters were saying ten months ago, when popular sentiment on PFT was that CJ deserved a huge payday.

40. gypjet says: Dec 29, 2010 10:28 PM

Charles=6.4 yards per carry

Redonculous

41. 49erman says: Dec 29, 2010 10:45 PM

I didn’t want CJ in our 14 team auction league as we had a $200 cap with 16 roster spots. CJ had a nice year but not worth $105, which is what one my friends paid for him in our league.

42. jaggedmark says: Dec 29, 2010 10:52 PM

How ’bout taking it out on the Colts. #FAIL

43. chowtime888 says: Dec 29, 2010 11:19 PM

He earned it. I remember his one guy midway through the season, 5 carries for 7 yards. That’s Pro Bowl worthy.

44. jacobseivers says: Dec 29, 2010 11:53 PM

1 thing is obvious here in this group of comments and that is half of you didnt watch one second of a Titans game. C.J. played his ass off this and is THE BEST running back in the league. Being handicapped by having either Rusty Smith under center, no WR corp once britt goes down and 8 in the box EVERY play.

all that said I think it pretty damn impressive that he finished 3rd in the league in rushing. there is no other back in the league that is prepared for and defended like CJ. Every other back on your so called”top 3″ has a real threat at QB, which couldnt be farther from the truth for 28. but all that said I do admire the energy you guys waste hating a player for no other reason then your own inability to builf=d a FANTASY team around him.

45. jfibertkc says: Dec 30, 2010 3:26 AM

if I’m not mistaken Charles has the most long runs actually. A testament to his extraordinary YPC

46. chicagovikesfan says: Dec 30, 2010 6:22 AM

Whos the real #28? You guessed it…AP. He doesnt let his mouth overload his ass. And even though the team didnt do great, he still got in. Cause he is consistent and is always about to break one and take it to the house.

47. jaguarrule says: Dec 30, 2010 8:01 AM

DREEEEEEEEEEW. WE LOVE YOU IN JAX MJD!!

48. joepags says: Dec 30, 2010 8:25 AM

CJ needs to be a probowler. this is just stupid

49. eastsidehunky says: Dec 30, 2010 8:38 AM

Maybe it’d help if he cut that ugly greasy hair!

50. infectorman says: Dec 30, 2010 8:48 AM

How in the world is anyone staring over Foster?
    WHAT A SHAM

51. adx321 says: Dec 30, 2010 8:53 AM

Drew is having knee surgery anyway so CJ is going to end up in just due to that alone.

Foster or Charles should start they both had great years.

52. laxer37 says: Dec 30, 2010 9:00 AM

What’s bogus? He just simply didn’t have as much of an impact as the other three had.

Of course it probably didn’t help him that his quarterback quit on them and the rest of his team went in the crapper.

53. tombradyswig says: Dec 30, 2010 9:29 AM

#
    bnwpnw says: Dec 29, 2010 7:19 PM

Hang your head in shame Chris Johnson. In shame.

You suck then!!!! I had CJ in FF too, and I just won my championship….$400!!
    YOU gotta play every week, Dont just draft and go home and play whoever… keep eye on FA’s and Waivers…. Injuries… etc.

54. slages says: Dec 30, 2010 11:35 AM

“cj2k”: what a joke! too many games with no “C”=100, to get to “2k”. How about “J-Not-enuff-Cs-4-2K”, or just “Joke”. Bitter fantasy owner? no, knew better than to mess with this fool this season. Just can’t stand self-promoters who can’t live up to their own hype. Bet on him claiming a season-long phantom injury in the near future!