Report: Tom Cable unlikely to return to Raiders

tomcable

By the recent standards of the Oakland Raiders, head coach Tom Cable has made real progress this season:  The Raiders are 7-8 this year after winning no more than five games in any of the last seven seasons.

But apparently that progress isn’t enough.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reported on Sunday NFL Countdown that Cable is unlikely to return as Raiders head coach in 2011.

The Raiders called Schefter a “false rumor monger” when he reported that they would fire Art Shell after the 2006 season — and then they proceeded to fire Art Shell after the 2006 season.

So don’t be surprised if the Raiders deny this report as well. And then don’t be surprised if they backtrack on their denial.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
26 Responses to “Report: Tom Cable unlikely to return to Raiders”
  1. joetoronto says: Jan 2, 2011 12:48 PM

You lost me at “Adam Schefter”.

He’s doing his dirty work for the rat, like usual.

2. ol5174 says: Jan 2, 2011 12:50 PM

Why don’t u mention how schefter also reported that cable would be fired last yr. Yet, cable was brought back. You guys really like bashing Oakland! Real unprofessional.

3. help me says: Jan 2, 2011 12:50 PM

“But apparently that progress isn’t enough.”

Anything short of a SB is not good enough for the crypt keeper.

4. FinFan68 says: Jan 2, 2011 12:52 PM

The Raiders have been relevant for the first time in a decade…and then Davis fires the HC for it? Makes sense. This has to be BS unless Gruden wants his old job back…and Al actually wants Gruden.

5. sterilizecromartie says: Jan 2, 2011 12:52 PM

I’m sure people are going to be banging the door down to coach for Undead Al. Cable is a good fit for this team. I’d give him one more year and see if they can continue to improve.

6. max says: Jan 2, 2011 12:56 PM

I don’t get this move. Oakland had no right to win any games this year; why fire this guy?

7. ralphwilsonsucks says: Jan 2, 2011 1:00 PM

Al your nuts! Cable staff did a decent job.

8. bbrophy1 says: Jan 2, 2011 1:00 PM

Hue Jackson deserves the credit for the turn around not Tom Cable. The Raiders need to elevate him before other teams start interviewing him to compy with the Rooney Rule and find out how good he is. If the Raiders go 8-8 his title should be “magician” not “coach”

9. echoplex89 says: Jan 2, 2011 1:01 PM

stupid owner

10. ruggerlad says: Jan 2, 2011 1:04 PM

I’m sure Tom would love to be witth a non Al Davis owned team. Dan Snyder? haha That would be salt on the wound.

11. raiders4life says: Jan 2, 2011 1:10 PM

Revolving head coaches is a major reason why the Raiders cannot maintain stability and continuity year-in-year-out. Unless they hire a big name head coach, i.e. John Fox/Jeff Fisher or possibly their OC Hue Jackson, this is a major mistake by Al “The Crypt Keeper” Davis.

12. kegpack says: Jan 2, 2011 1:19 PM

I’m sure Al made a commitment to Hue when he was hired. Raiders offense sucked last year, this year they are thriving. Credit has to go to Hue. I’m supportive of this move. Tom will land on his feet at the collegiate level.

13. rchrism says: Jan 2, 2011 1:34 PM

This is a silly article! You can’t believe Adam Schefter of ESPN. He made a lucky guess the one time he was right. He made that guess before the decision was even made in Oakland. I can’t reveal my source but I can tell you its someone very close to those in the know in the Oakland Raiders power circle.

14. steelyres211 says: Jan 2, 2011 1:37 PM

I think that Oakland should keep Cable, they’ve shown improvement each year under Cable, but if Davis insists on letting him go, he needs to make Jackson the head coach.

15. thingamajig says: Jan 2, 2011 2:29 PM

rchrism says:
    Jan 2, 2011 1:34 PM
    ………….. I can’t reveal my source but I can tell you its someone very close to those in the know in the Oakland Raiders power circle.

I’m impressed.

16. dealer009 says: Jan 2, 2011 2:31 PM

Again, Schefter has been rumor mongering horribly against the Raiders. They have released press conferences before indicating he lies about news, putting out trial balloons such as this.

Now I know why Al feels no need to rebut these phony “reports” and feed these gremlins.

17. jamie54 says: Jan 2, 2011 2:36 PM

So, Jim Harbaugh rumors to SF when before the season it was his ties to Oakland. Now could he be going to Oakland instead of SF?

18. aldavisisthenfl says: Jan 2, 2011 2:37 PM

@ raiders4life

Dude, Al wouldn’t hire Fox if he were the last guy on earth.

They have a bad history….

19. raiderapologist says: Jan 2, 2011 2:45 PM

Predicting the demise of Shell wasn’t all that brilliant, and doesn’t mean everything Schefter says about the Raiders from that point on will come true. You can’t evaluate Cable’s performance without considering the environment he has to work in and the JaMarcus funk he inherited. Davis should retain Cable for another season. Jackson is no lock to be a good head coach.

20. ol5174 says: Jan 2, 2011 4:25 PM

Nicely said! Predicting that shell would be let go was not very hard! I said it around wk 6 that yr! Let’s focus on how schefter predicted that cable would b gone last yr. Was he correct than? Didn’t think so!

21. ol5174 says: Jan 2, 2011 4:26 PM

8-8 and we owned the AFC west this yr! Very unimpressed with KC

22. raiders757 says: Jan 2, 2011 4:28 PM

——————————————–

Hilarious example. Everyone on the planet knew that was going to happen, and to use it as an example to defend an idiot, makes you look even dumber, Smith. Schefter is a “false rumor monger” when it comes to Oakand. Look who he works for ,the tabloid channel of NFL coverage, ESPN.

@ bbrophy1: Hue Jackson in no way deserves all the credit. Get your head out of your ass. It blows my mind how you Jackson ball washers want to deflect credit where it’s due. Let’s not forget the Jackson called a good five or six terrible games this season, and is hardly head coach material. nothing needs to change in Oakland. Stay the course.

23. radrntn says: Jan 2, 2011 4:50 PM

LMAO….If Adam Schefter /BSPN said it then we all know it has to be true, and the fact you have to go back 5 years to show where he once was right, makes me laugh evenn more…Since 2006 Adam “I make stuff up” Schefter has been wrong on about 50 so called raiders facts…but keep then coming Adam, I like you Believe it or not stories…….GO RAIDERS!!!

24. alewatcher says: Jan 2, 2011 6:31 PM

The hallmark of bad teams is coaching churn. Continuity is the best thing for the Raiders right now. Cable has the team headed in the right direction, let him keep it going.

25. Deb says: Jan 2, 2011 7:23 PM

Cable bomaye! Don’t know why, but I like Cable. He just looks like a Raiders coach, and he’s got them going in the right direction. Hope Schefter’s reports of his death are greatly exaggerated.

26. raiderfankirk says: Jan 4, 2011 11:37 AM

Anything reported about the Raiders by Schefter is bs. I like how you added the 2006 part about Shell. What about the 08, 09, and 10 when he said the same thing…… he was wrong. No way in hell anyone from ESPN knows diddly about the Raiders, least of all Shefter, and your your added two since shows your stupidity as well. At least pft could have a football fan coment on the post unlike this moron.