Patriots suspend rookie lineman Deaderick

Stephen Neal, Brandon Deaderick

The Patriots’ already thin defensive line lost another member when the team placed rookie Brandon Deaderick on the reserve/suspended list, according to ESPNBoston.com’s Mike Reiss.

It’s unclear why exactly Deaderick was suspended by the team. (Not the league.)  The rookie started four games and played in ten, although he wasn’t a huge contributor late in the season.  The team officially placed defensive end Ron Brace on injured earlier Monday.

Reiss reports the Patriots worked out four veteran defensive linemen Monday, including former Patriot Le Kevin Smith and Ryan Sims.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Patriots suspend rookie lineman Deaderick”
  1. pittsburghsteelerz says: Jan 3, 2011 7:15 PM

“Le Kevin Smith”

Hola, my namo is El Bob.

2. backindasaddle says: Jan 3, 2011 7:51 PM

I seem to remember reading a profile on Deaderick after they drafted him that led me to believe he wasn’t a choir boy. I wonder if we’ll find out what the reason for the suspension is.

3. commandercornpone says: Jan 3, 2011 7:54 PM

he got caught pulling a brody.

4. benh999 says: Jan 3, 2011 8:17 PM

Too bad. He had a mean flat top.

5. richm2256 says: Jan 3, 2011 9:02 PM

As a Patriots fan, let me be the first of many to say: “Deaderick WHO?????”

Never heard of the guy.

No doubt idiots out there will start posting crap about drugs, steroids, cheating, and on and on and on, failing to note that Belichick did this on his own, without the league taking any action.

6. suckaaarei says: Jan 3, 2011 9:21 PM

Great Patriots fan you are. He started four games on the defensive line this year.

7. gunit77n says: Jan 3, 2011 9:36 PM

As a Patriots fan, how have you not heard of him??

Belichick talked about the guy all through the preseason and he had a sack in his first start against Baltimore.

I’m guessing that you are not the “first of many” Pats fans who has not heard of him.

8. richm2256 says: Jan 3, 2011 9:52 PM

suckaaarei says:
    Jan 3, 2011 9:21 PM

gunit77n says:
    Jan 3, 2011 9:36 PM
    As a Patriots fan, how have you not heard of him??

————————————————-

You have both just proven the point for me. Belichick apparently raved about him in the preseason and he got a sack in his first of four starts, yet by week seventeen your average Patriots fan has no idea who the hell this guy is.

I’m suggesting that he didn’t do a whole hell of a lot the past 17 weeks to be remembered by anyone other than you two people.

What is he, your cousin or something?

9. jimmy1smith says: Jan 3, 2011 9:53 PM

I never heard of him but then again, I never heard of Matt Walsh until after the fact.

10. rodge1 says: Jan 3, 2011 10:07 PM

Le Kevin Smith. He should provide depth for Le Patriots

11. richm2256 says: Jan 3, 2011 10:23 PM

Okay, here are the stats for this alleged “superstar” rookie:

Sat out the first three games.

Played in just 10 games (starting four) and registered tackles in only five (total of 9 tackles, 2 sacks).

He played in 5 games without any tackles, and didn’t even play the last two weeks.

How did I miss knowing this All-Pro’s name? He did something in one out of every three Patriot games, on average.

12. JakeDSnake says: Jan 3, 2011 10:27 PM

Word on the street has him and his ‘Bama buddy on the practice squad (who got cut from the practice squad at the same time) both cheated at ping pong in the locker room.

13. anacherforester says: Jan 3, 2011 10:30 PM

Am I the only one who sees the words “Le Kevin Smith” and thinks “Mallrats” wasn’t nearly as good as “Clerks”?

14. jameswestphal says: Jan 3, 2011 10:58 PM

He was a guy I was excited about big picture. He plays too straight up and down and is undisciplined in his technique, but he’s got the chance to be a solid pro. To quote Frank Marino from Casino: (points finger)”Smahten up”

15. skinnypigeon says: Jan 3, 2011 11:18 PM

@anacherforeste

The only thing that would have made it better is if Brandon Deaderick wore 37.

16. mean13 says: Jan 4, 2011 12:14 AM

richm2256 says: Jan 3, 2011 9:02 PM

“As a Patriots fan, let me be the first of many to say: “Deaderick WHO?????”

Never heard of the guy.”

Have you heard of Tom Brady?

17. billsfan1 says: Jan 4, 2011 12:55 AM

that is something like me not having heard of alex carrington, as a bills fan….u dont need to know stats but u should know a name… and where u a pats fan back in the day when the bills smacked them all day long or just when they started winning super bowls…. define “casual”

18. kissbillsrings says: Jan 4, 2011 12:55 AM

Well, he obviously pissed Bill off….not a wise career move….

19. nepatriots128154 says: Jan 4, 2011 1:26 AM

#
    richm2256 says: Jan 3, 2011 9:02 PM

As a Patriots fan, let me be the first of many to say: “Deaderick WHO?????”

Never heard of the guy.

—————————————————-

Shush, your giving Pat fans a bad name. How have you not heard of him?

20. 8man says: Jan 4, 2011 6:59 AM

What’s McGinest doing these days?

Doesn’t Brandon Spikes come off suspension this week?

21. flabtreesports says: Jan 4, 2011 7:15 AM

Give richm2256 a break. After a decade of dedicated fandom, it’s hard to keep track of anyone but Brady and Welkah when Bill keeps punting veterans.

22. all4patriots says: Jan 4, 2011 8:13 AM

He reportedly has had an ongoing problem of being late for meetings; re: Ian R. Rapoport on twitter

“He has been fined several times this year for missing meetings. Perhaps 1 too many”

23. ggreen7 says: Jan 4, 2011 8:22 AM

Hey richm2256, if you are a Pats fan do you at least watch the games? Deaderick was starting on the DL late into the season before being injured. He is a beast and was a huge find for a 7th round pick. Anyone that follows the team knows that. You make youself look ignorant.

24. richm2256 says: Jan 4, 2011 9:02 AM

mean13 says:

Have you heard of Tom Brady?
    ————————————————–

You’re equating this guy to Brady? I didn’t realize Deaderick was an MVP candidate.

Some morons will say the stupidest things in an atempt to be “funny”.

nepatriots128154 says:
    Shush, your giving Pat fans a bad name. How have you not heard of him?
    ————————————————–
    The guy was sixth on the depth chart. Even his mother never heard of him. You’re telling me that you HAVE? Quick, without looking, who’s the Patriot’s third center?

billsfan1 says:
    ————————————————-
    A) I never said “casual” fan, I said “AVERAGE” fan

B) Quick, without looking, who is the sixth DE on the Bills depth chart (do they even HAVE a depth chart?)

C) I remember listening on the radio as a teenager the day O.J. Simpson ran all over them for the single game rushing record. You probably were’nt even $hitting in diapers yet. Moron.

The point has been lost that you could ask ten Patriots fans who Deaderick was, and maybe two would know. Maybe

25. hotep999 says: Jan 4, 2011 9:06 AM

“Le Kevin Smith. He should provide depth for Le Patriots”….. I just spit Red Bull all over my keyboard, LMAO!!!

26. jerryloler says: Jan 4, 2011 9:07 AM

Say what you want about the success of a 7th round rookie draft pick, but any self-proclaimed “Patriots fan” that doesn’t know who Deaderick is should turn in their blue and silver, and be exiled to Oakland for the rest of their life. Get it together.

27. richm2256 says: Jan 4, 2011 10:05 AM

ggreen7 says:

jerryloler says:

————————————————-

Okay, you guys win. Obviously this guy is a major stud and I’m an idiot for having never heard of him, and Belichick -the guy who shipped out Randy Moss and lived to tell about it- is a moron for cutting this guy. How are we ever going to win the Super Bowl without him????

By the way, I read all I ever need to read about Deaderick last night, and he was injured for just one game, week 16. Several games he was “healthy inactive” (ie; “benched”)

28. semperfi24 says: Jan 4, 2011 11:02 AM

Richm, as a Pats fan it is in poor taste to jump on a fellow Pats fan, but C’mon man!. My wife knows who Deaderick, lol.

You also said the average “casual” fan doesnt know who this guy is. I would say that is a true statement (translation, that puts you below the average casual fan). Any die hard Pats fans knows who this guy is. No one ever said he was All-Pro, you brought into it. It is like saying you have never heard of Dane Fletcher, Mark LeVoir, Rich Ohrnberger, or Matt Slater. Die hard fans know the names of players that contribute, even if they only play Special Teams. To say you have “never heard of” a player that started 4 games is weak dude

29. flabtreesports says: Jan 4, 2011 11:58 AM

Five bucks says richm2256 only recognized Pat the Patriot from when they wear throwbacks.

30. olcap says: Jan 4, 2011 12:00 PM

It was because he refused to work a camera.

31. castleanthrax says: Jan 4, 2011 12:52 PM

richman, how can you not recall him rocking that awesome 80’s style flat top?

Bit surprised by the move as he was a solid role player coming off the bench in spots. Depth is always needed so something definitely happened. I believe the last one they did this to was Willie Andrews for selling pot in Lowell.

32. belicheckyoself says: Jan 4, 2011 1:07 PM

Lay of Rich, he’s a great Jests Buster.

Now without looking, who is Landon Cohen? What’s his number and position?

I was surprised by Tracy White a few weeks ago, right after they I’d heard they’d cut Pierre Woods and there was a 58 on the field. I think he was practice squad before hand. It’s a crazy year.

33. botully says: Jan 4, 2011 1:16 PM

richmn2256:

The name alone makes him memorable. I think you should stop while you’re behind. Defending a dumb comment is just dumber.

So you’re not the diehard fan you thought you were. There are worse things, and you have plenty of time to learn.

34. richm2256 says: Jan 4, 2011 3:35 PM

botully says:
    Jan 4, 2011 1:16 PM
    richmn2256:

————————————————–

I’m 54, been watching the Patriots since about 1966, and remember when Pat the Patriot didn’t have a f—king name, children.

Apparently as much as I love the Pats, I missed the boat on this stud, who kept completely off my radar. Who knew there was this much love for the guy out there? If he was damn special, I have no idea why I never heard his name all year, or why Belichick decided to bench his stud a$$, and now that he cut him, I have no idea how we’re ever going to win a Super Bowl without him.

semperfi24 says:
    Any die hard Pats fans knows who this guy is. ….. It is like saying you have never heard of Dane Fletcher, Mark LeVoir, Rich Ohrnberger, or Matt Slater. Die hard fans know the names of players that contribute, even if they only play Special Teams. To say you have “never heard of” a player that started 4 games is weak dude
    ————————————————-

Yes, yes, not sure, yes. I do know the names of many of the beloved “role players”, just not Deaderick. There’s 53 players on the roster, plus taxi squaders, in-seson hires, etc. Congratulate your wife for me. Wish I had heard of him, would’ve loved to see that flat-top everyone is talking about.

35. belicheckyoself says: Jan 4, 2011 6:03 PM

this one’s better. Also he got shot once: