Vick says “I’m still going to be me”

Michael Vick AP

The new Mike Vick was an MVP candidate for most of the season.  As the season went on, opposing defenses began to figure out ways to confuse and confound Vick via exotic blitzes like those used by the Vikings last Tuesday night.

With the playoffs approaching, Vick dismissed the notion that he needs to make changes to his game in order to maintain a high level of success.

I don’t have to do nothing. I’m still going to be me,” Vick said Monday, via PhillySportsDaily.com.  “I’m still going to play my game.  Still play with confidence, still try to rally the guys around me and make sure they are in tune with what we are trying to do and what we are trying to accomplish.  That’s what’s important:  You can’t change your game this time in the season. . . .  You just go out and play your best football now that it’s the playoffs.”

Vick also downplayed the potential impact of holding the ball for too long.

“It’s not an issue, it’s just things we need to work on,” Vick said.  “A couple games I didn’t get the ball out as quick as I wanted to, waiting on the downfield throws. That’s why you play the game — you play the game to get better and that’s what I’m doing.”

There’s an inconsistency in those two quotes from Vick.  Sometimes, a guy can get better by adjusting to the things a defense is doing to stop him.  Whether it’s getting the ball out faster or making reads more efficiently or picking up clues before the snaps as to the guys who will and won’t be blitzing, changes and improvements are in many respects the same thing.

The best news for Vick is that, with no playoff bye, the team’s decision to give him Week 17 off helped heal his injured quadricep muscle.

“I feel a lot better just having the opportunity to rehab, and just focus on getting my leg better and taking it one day at a time,” Vick said. “The time off has been great for me, and I took full advantage of it.”

He has six more days to get ready for his chance to play four quarters against the team that came to Lincoln Financial Field and started the season by beating the Eagles.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
49 Responses to “Vick says “I’m still going to be me””
  1. kissbillsrings says: Jan 3, 2011 3:20 PM

Many dogs around the south & in PA just took a cllective dump!!!!

2. coleton1 says: Jan 3, 2011 3:21 PM

Best Game of the week!!!

3. Dynasty says: Jan 3, 2011 3:22 PM

Best Test this week Mike. Thanks for the Fantasy Title. It was my BACK TO BACK Championship. You and Jamaal Charles won it for me!

4. Robert says: Jan 3, 2011 3:22 PM

Hide your pets………….

5. ygkr85 says: Jan 3, 2011 3:23 PM

It is reaching to criticize Vick for these comments. He is obviously going to adjust and the coaching staff will work with him. But yes, he will still take the form of Mike Vick and not morph into Tom Brady or Jamarcus Russell.

6. skoobyfl says: Jan 3, 2011 3:24 PM

A healthy Vick is worth his weight in Gold.

7. redrew says: Jan 3, 2011 3:25 PM

Dead man walkin…ruff ruff

8. ruggerlad says: Jan 3, 2011 3:27 PM

You should be in prison because you have not changed one bit! You would still be executing dogs had you never been caught. You are going to still be you forever and that is why you should be in prison you waste of life.

9. mvp43 says: Jan 3, 2011 3:28 PM

Well, that’s good news for Packer fans…….

GB is the one team in the NFC that could destroy the Eagles. Rodgers should be able to pick apart that defensive backfield. The guy is money when it comes to torching teams blitz packages. Defensively, Dom Capers will put together a game plan that will rattle Vick. Should be a great game.

10. realitypolice says: Jan 3, 2011 3:29 PM

It’s amazing to track Mike Vick’s public statements as time progresses. The more success he has, the more defiant he gets.

He’s gone from “I’m just happy for the opportunity and I will do whatever is asked of me” to “I don’t have to do nothing, I’m still going to be me”.

Just wait until he gets his contract. Oh, boy.

11. mean13 says: Jan 3, 2011 3:33 PM

That was the Vikings, Mike. And it was 6 sacks and a butt whipping. And you plan to change NOTHING?

12. j0esixpack says: Jan 3, 2011 3:35 PM

“I’m still going to be me,” Vick said Monday…

As opposed to who? Ron Mexico?

13. nokoolaidcowboy says: Jan 3, 2011 3:43 PM

This mean you still won’t know how to slide?

14. theoriginalcaptainmarvel says: Jan 3, 2011 3:43 PM

Well at least Vick has a relatively easy game coming up against the Packers. Packers were lucky – Chicago had nothing to play for, plus GB somehow lucked into the tie-breaker over 2 other mediocre teams. Philly shouldn’t have much trouble.

15. Satan's Valet says: Jan 3, 2011 3:48 PM

Honestly I think realitypolice pegged it. I don’t think he’s actually changed, he’s admitted that if he wasn’t caught he would still be doing it. And really that’s a symptom of his personality, he thinks he was and is in the right, he has the same sense of entitlement now. For a while there he obviously had a PR person telling him what to say, now he either doesn’t have them any more or doesn’t think he needs to listen to them anymore, take your pick.

16. cletusvandam says: Jan 3, 2011 3:50 PM

j0esixpack says:
    Jan 3, 2011 3:35 PM
    “I’m still going to be me,” Vick said Monday…

As opposed to who? Ron Mexico?

————–
    LOL, best comment of the day!

17. phillyforlife says: Jan 3, 2011 3:53 PM

ruggerlad says:
    Jan 3, 2011 3:27 PM
    ———————————————
    I would have say you my little minded friend are a waste of life. In your mind sombody that hits a dog and leaves it on the side of the road to die should go to prison. All you asshats that keeping bringing up his past are either fans of other teams and afraid he will or beat your team or the fact that you nothing but racist redneck’s.

18. woodyc says: Jan 3, 2011 3:54 PM

Teams had better be ready, because it should be a real dogfight whenever Vick is out there. I expect that he will be a real pitbull in the playoffs. There’s still a lot of fight in that old dog!

19. bighairyman says: Jan 3, 2011 4:09 PM

______________________________
    theoriginalcaptainmarvel says:
    Jan 3, 2011 3:43 PM

Didn’t philly go 1-3 vs NFC North teams this year. Hmmm…

20. Satan's Valet says: Jan 3, 2011 4:10 PM

phillyforlife, your response is as pointless as it is rediculous. Let’s break it down, shall we?

1) First, you make several assumptions about what ruggerlad thinks about a variety of issues. This is an inherently risky thing to do in an argument because unless you know the person fairly well you will almost always be way off the mark.

2) The people who reference his history do so because personal history is definitely taken into account when discussing someone’s relative value to a team, the NFL certainly thinks so, otherwise there wouldn’t be a Personal Conduct Policy. Even if there wasn’t, you can bet your ass the team management takes those issues into consideration when determining whether a player has extra baggage that might decrease their value on the field.

3) Your further assumption that the people who speak ill of him are either fans of other teams / afraid he will beat their team / racist rednecks is also, frankly, asinine. You are just offering excuses for other peoples reactions instead of making a careful evaluation of their opinion, and by contrast your own opinion, of Michael Vick.

4) He did admit in an interview that had he not been caught he would have kept doing it; clearly he is not remorseful about his actions but only remorseful about getting caught.

21. Satan's Valet says: Jan 3, 2011 4:13 PM

A typo, drat. And I was so careful. Alas…

22. richm2256 says: Jan 3, 2011 4:19 PM

“I don’t have to do nothing. I’m still going to be me”———————————————

THERE is your “redemption” Michael Vick, folks.

He may have been talking about his quarterback play – which he’s wrong about, MVP quarterbacks ALWAYS have to improve, especially when teams start to confuse him with disguised blitzes – but more importantly is the “I’m Michael Vick and I don’t have to change NOTHIN’ for NOBODY” attitude in general.

Somewhere Tony Dungy and Roger Gooddell just puked in their mouths a little, and Andy Reid swallowed a whole bottle of Tums. The wheels have just started to come loose.

23. realitypolice says: Jan 3, 2011 4:26 PM

phillyforlife says:

======================

Really?

Someone who hits a dog on the road should be held to the same standard as someone who attached jumper cables to dogs balls to electrocute them, held their heads under water to drown them, and threw house pets in with pit bulls and laughed while they were torn apart?

The moral gymnastics Philly fans have pretzeled themselves into to justify their love of this guy because he delivered them a playoff berth defies belief.

It is the best example yet of how sports fans separate themselves from reality.

No? Are you sure?

24. minnesconsin says: Jan 3, 2011 4:27 PM

theoriginalcaptainmarvel says:
    Jan 3, 2011 3:43 PM
    ———–

Ha, yeah, you’re a smart one aren’t you? If Chicago felt they had nothing to play for, then they would’ve rested their starters. Give Lovie and the Bears credit for playing for pride and for the opportunity to eliminate a dangerous opponent from the playoff field.

Luck had nothing to do with the 45-17 beat down the Packers put on the Giants.

Luck had nothing to do with the fact that the teams GB beat this year had a total of 74 combined wins, while the Bucs’ defeated opponents only combined for 59.

25. janvanflac says: Jan 3, 2011 4:33 PM

What the hell do you numbskulls expect him to say?

“I will endeavour to model my game after Peyton Manning this week”.

Idiots

Like it or not, he gets paid to play football, not give speeches. Maybe he is truly a psychopath, or maybe he’s learned a hard lesson but he’s just cranky after a long season of answering a million stupid questions.

None of you has any clue which one it is.

26. shotgunformation5wide says: Jan 3, 2011 4:33 PM

ruggerlad says:
    Jan 3, 2011 3:27 PM

_________________________________

What about the millions of brain cells you just killed with that ignorant statement!?!? That, Sir, is a crime in itself.

@Satan’s Valet:

————————————————

In my evaluation, they make these comments because they don’t actually know anything about the game of football but feel compelled to type something. :(

Please people, combat this ignorance with more insight and intelligence. Save our brain cells!!!

27. hobartbaker says: Jan 3, 2011 4:35 PM

“I’m going to be me, until I have Michael Jackson money and can afford to change myself into a slender, sensitive, androgynous white guy.”.

28. bobbyhoying says: Jan 3, 2011 4:38 PM

Hello McFly. Mike Vick is not what Eagles fans are worried about. It’s which corner, playing across from Asante Samuel, gives up more points than the offense can score. If Rogers has time to throw the pressure on Vick to score over 40 points will be tremendous. Were it not for Mike Vick this team would be almost as lousy as the Skins and Boys.

29. backdapack says: Jan 3, 2011 4:52 PM

theoriginalcaptainmarvel says:
    Jan 3, 2011 3:43 PM

————————

Lucky????? the Packers have given up an average of 11.1 points per game in their last 9 games while scoring an average of 24.5 points per game………PURE LUCK!!!!!!

only team playing better is the Patriots.

30. backdapack says: Jan 3, 2011 4:55 PM

Packers have held 6 teams to single digit scoring this season….and yes, 0 is a single digit Jets fans!

31. kolbfan says: Jan 3, 2011 5:13 PM

So a week before the playoffs you want Vick to say “I’ve got to get back to throwing more and not so much scrambling?”
    Yawn. Another non story here.

32. enkinan says: Jan 3, 2011 5:19 PM

I’m so glad this dude is not in Atlanta anymore.

33. clayswife says: Jan 3, 2011 5:25 PM

captain marvel is more like “captain rectal extrapulation”

the bears had the rivalry to play for. they wanted to go into the playoffs having knocked us out. if they had nothing to play for, they wouldnt have let Jay “buttchin” Cutler play all game and get sacked 6 times.

pick up a book and read it.

34. nbseesnothing says: Jan 3, 2011 5:50 PM

mickey part deaux. It will end the same way.

35. slyboar says: Jan 3, 2011 5:51 PM

I guess the out of market football fans haven’t gotten enough of these lame attempts at humor yet. (The Philly faithful have done far better with the Mike Vick humor.) Further, some of these posters seem to believe that their posted opinions on morals and ethics on a football website show their superiority in all things, and actually mean something. Whatever. I think it will be a good football game. I’m sure the Packers are not taking it as lightly as the national pundits seem to be. Some say that whatever success Vick had in the first game was because the Packers defense didn’t game plan for him (he came off the bench after Kolbs concussion). I think the same can be said for the Eagles offensive game plan at the time since they started Kolb. Regardless, neither team is the same as they were on the first game of the season. Everyone is 0-0 again. Should be a great game. I can’t wait! Go Eagles!

36. newengpat says: Jan 3, 2011 6:00 PM

Realitypolice nailed it. Some crimes don’t deserve forgiveness or second chances. Vick’s was one of them. He’s human garbage, and will undoubtedly end up in trouble again. It’s just who he is.

As for you mindless Philly fans who support him, we’ll see how you feel in a few months. A quarterback who isn’t intelligent enough to read defenses and understand blitzes won’t win for very long in the NFL.

Vick is not nearly as good as Cunningham or McNabb, both of whom were ridiculed and booed by Philly fans. I’m looking forward to seeing the Philly fans turn on Vick , too, and harrass him as only they can. He deserves it.

37. 6250claimer says: Jan 3, 2011 6:02 PM

@realitypolice: Hey Philly fan, would you let your daughter marry a guy who tortured animals, knowingly gave women VD, and embezzled money from his investors?

No doubt in my mind he would – if that future son-in-law was named Vick, especially after he signs his next lucrative contract.

Vick proves once again that he’s dumb as a bag of hammers with these rambling, contradictory remarks. And Philly Fan proves that he’s just as dumb as Vick. Bunch of Einsteins up there in Philly nowadays.

38. nesuperfan says: Jan 3, 2011 6:22 PM

Headline: Vick says “I’m still going to be me”

He went on, “You know, killin’ dogs and shizz.”

39. captainloaded says: Jan 3, 2011 6:32 PM

“I don’t have to do nothing. I’m still going to be me,” Vick said

Allen Iverson, “Practice??”

40. mraevans says: Jan 3, 2011 6:35 PM

How is that?

This article proves that 88 percent of the posters (well maybe 90 percent) on here are incompetent, no women having, neurotic idiots because what Vick said in his comments doesn’t require a story.

If any of you seen the interview one could see that Vick didn’t say anything that warrants attention.

Sheesh, I have any of you ever taken a critical thinking class?

41. phillyhouse222 says: Jan 3, 2011 6:46 PM

Who cares if he killed dogs. I just want the Eagles to win the SB. You can call Vick whatever you want.

42. abninf says: Jan 3, 2011 6:57 PM

—————————————–

There was nothing wrong with his quad. His herpes was acting up.

43. iggles20 says: Jan 3, 2011 7:04 PM

MV7 can’t say anything without the people who already hate him… hating. Can he at least say or do something controversial before y’all start blasting him?

Oh wait. Forgot who I was talking to.

44. nfl4ever says: Jan 3, 2011 7:10 PM

realitypolice says:
    Jan 3, 2011 3:29 PM

Just wait until he gets his contract. Oh, boy.
    ——————————————————
    Outstanding observation!

It’s not if, it’s more like when Vick will get in some sort of off the field trouble again.

By the way, nice grammar there Michael Vick, what next? are you going to start talking in 3rd person?

45. nogoodell says: Jan 3, 2011 7:43 PM

Philly’s O-line is just so freaking bad… He should MVP having to play behind that and still putting up 28 tds

46. goldsteel says: Jan 3, 2011 8:13 PM

Since the thread postings above have absolutely nothing to do with football, I’ll be the first post. To understand Micheal Vick, grammar aside, one has to listen with the perspective of a NFL player now in the post season.

Micheal is correct about change in that a major overhaul is out of the question at this point in the season and is frankly unnecessary considering his performance this season. He should always be working on his game since this is his first season as a starter in a long time. And he says he does. Actually, if there are any changes to be made its the offensive play calling and the offensive line calls. It is a team sport.

47. Satan's Valet says: Jan 3, 2011 10:47 PM

Look, regardless of if you are right or wrong the simple reality is that if you continue to spell his name wrong you will sound like an idiot no matter what you say. It’s spelled “Michael”. No one named “Michael” spells it “Micheal”, trust me.

Second, phillyhouse222, not caring what Vick has done as long as he wins doesn’t make you a good fan or a bad fan, it just makes you a bad person. I’m sure you don’t care, yet another indication.

Last, to anyone who says that his comments don’t matter the sad truth is that it does. It speaks to the kind of player that he is, anyone who has played sports at anything above an amateur level knows that you need to change tactics and respond to your opponents changing tactics. Saying he won’t change is stupid, no coach will let him keep making the same mistakes or the same plays, once they stop being effective. It’s as simple as that. He misspoke, accept it.

48. stanjam says: Jan 4, 2011 12:07 AM

Once again red flags are waving. Once again Vick shows what he is about—Vick. Self-absorbed Diva.

This is coming to a bad end, for Vick, whatever team he is on at the time, and the NFL in general.

He should never have been allowed back into the league. It has only served to reignite the fires that caused his crime in the first place. He believes he is bigger than everything else, and that he is special because of who he is. He thinks that only Vick knows best. Unfortunately he doesn’t, and is heading for trouble. The Eagles are idiots if they keep this guy around long. Trade him and get what you can, because eventually he is going to kill your team, undermine your coach, or end up back in jail.

The warning signs have all been there. I have been warning you all. Stay clear of Vick. And Goodell, you will bear the black mark of all of this as well. you let him back into the league. You allowed him to get back into a job that would reinflate his ego. Where he WAS humble and wanting redemption, he now feels that he has that redemption, and is better than anyone else. It is now beyond anyone to tell him what to do or how to behave. The egomaniac is loose again. Goodell, this is your responsibility, and will be your legacy. Tool to the almighty dollar, you continue to take immediate profits over the long term health of the sport.

49. warriorking1112 says: Jan 5, 2011 2:39 AM

vick(the HERPED CHILD) is already proving he is gonna be a flash in the pan! next year he will be back to his “joke of a qb” style of play! hopefully the eagles lock him up and he rips philly off worse than he did ATL!