Jets-Colts II:This time it’s “personal”

Rex Ryan

Rex Ryan’s teams (mostly in Baltimore) have lost five of six games to Peyton’s Manning Colts.  The only win came when the Colts rested starters in Week 16 last year.

“Is it personal? Yes, it’s personal,” Ryan said Monday.

(That’s not to be confused with Ryan saying “It’s a personal matter.”)

“It’s personal against him, Reggie Wayne all those guys, yeah. [Dwight] Freeney and [Robert] Mathis and those other dudes? Absolutely,” Ryan continued.   “You know, it’s funny, I respect the heck out of the guy, but I’m going to beat him one day. I just hope it’s Saturday.”

NBC analyst Tony Dungy pointed out that he doesn’t think you can beat Manning with a blitzing defense designed to fool him.  Ryan’s blitzes haven’t worked as well this year, and maybe he doesn’t need to blitz against Manning.

The Jets defense may not be the same this year, but the Colts offense isn’t either.  Manning finished 18th in the league in yards-per-attempt, a full yard below last year.   Offenses are forcing Manning to take long, slow drives and hope one of his young receivers makes a mistake.

“You lose a playoff game, it’s devastating,” Ryan said. “I want to put the shoe on the other foot. I know this team does too. We want him to experience it this time.”

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Jets-Colts II:This time it’s “personal””
  1. iwinulose says: Jan 4, 2011 8:45 AM

“I want to put the shoe on the other foot”……[insert joke about feet].

Rexy and boys will clearly be deFEETed on Saturday.

2. cornellsteelers says: Jan 4, 2011 8:46 AM

I’m getting the popcorn ready. Hopefully Fivehead’s inevitable playoff choke can hold off until the divisional round.

3. waccoforflacco says: Jan 4, 2011 8:48 AM

I wonder if they will show the video of Ryan in that u-tube video that was on the internet on the big screen at Lucas Field of Ryan asking his wife if he can smell her feet?

First he asked…”can I touch ‘em”…then he said….”can I smell ‘em”? Shall we say KINKY?

4. grogansheroes says: Jan 4, 2011 8:50 AM

This guy has sever mental problems. How about a little humility? You can’t beat Manning, never have yet you brag over and over again about you ARE going to beat him. The Jets won games last year with a great running game, and solid defense. They have neither this year. So you expect different results? Me too, Indy 44, Jets 16. Not as close as last year.

5. pastabelly says: Jan 4, 2011 8:53 AM

He’s such an idiot. He claims it’s personal and talks about respect for all of them. By definition, that makes it professional and not personal. His jealousy of Bill Belichick is personal. We get that.

6. patmcrotch says: Jan 4, 2011 8:54 AM

“Offenses are forcing Manning to take long, slow drives and hope one of his young receivers makes a mistake.”

What does this mean?

7. zack18257 says: Jan 4, 2011 8:56 AM

the colts should keep their shoes on for the duration of the game

8. bleedblue18 says: Jan 4, 2011 8:59 AM

Manning beats you every time loudmouth fatboy.

9. mattlion says: Jan 4, 2011 8:59 AM

He wants to put the shoe on the other foot? That’s new.

10. brutus9448 says: Jan 4, 2011 9:00 AM

How does an offense make manning take a long drive? IT should say defenses

11. brutus9448 says: Jan 4, 2011 9:01 AM

I hope manning shuts this guy up once and for all. we’ve had enough of rex ryan talk for one year

12. jsizzle52 says: Jan 4, 2011 9:05 AM

Actually, Rex’s defense was very successful vs. Peyton and the Colts while with Baltimore in ’06. The Colts were held without a TD, however, due to Baltimore’s lackluster offense, they also were unable to score a TD and had less field goals!

13. mike83ri says: Jan 4, 2011 9:05 AM

He certainly does want to put the shoe on the other foot.

14. cleanface says: Jan 4, 2011 9:11 AM

Does this guy ever shut up? I’m sure it will throw the Colts off their game by telling the world it’s personal. Maybe he’ll give the team another motivational speech about getting a snack too.

15. daytonaken says: Jan 4, 2011 9:17 AM

I am a fan of Rex’s but I believe he has a lot of growin’-up to do. Too many distractions…too much talk…

16. j0esixpack says: Jan 4, 2011 9:17 AM

Ummm… Rexy…

I don’t think you’d have BEEN in the playoffs last year in the first place if the Colts hadn’t rolled over, played dead and pulled all their starters allowing you to turn what should have been an 8-8 season into a 9-7 playoff contending season.

Near as I can figure, you and the Colts are even.

Seeing as you don’t know when to STFU, I predict that you and the Jets will suffer the agony of de-feet against the Colts.

17. cuozzo says: Jan 4, 2011 9:23 AM

This guy has no idea how to coach at this level. To give Peyton Manning extra incentive, is as juvenile as you can get. Trying to motivate is one thing, pissing OFF the one guy who has kicked your butt every time he has played against you, is….just plain DUMB!!!!!

18. ampats says: Jan 4, 2011 9:28 AM

Every Pats fan will be rooting for the jests this weekend.

Looking forward to destroying this sorry joke of a team ! AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. commoncents says: Jan 4, 2011 9:34 AM

I don’t cheer for you often Peyton but PLEASE hang 50 on Rexy’s Jetsies,

20. dienavinjohnson says: Jan 4, 2011 9:35 AM

Wow. What the hell did Buddy Ryan do to this guy when he was growing up? He has a serious inferiority complex (as manifested by his constant bragging, constant talking, and apparent love of defilement and sharing his hot wife.) I’m not a psychologist. But I really wish that one would analyze Rex. The guy is a borderline nut. I kind of feel sorry for him.

Growing up in a tough neighborhood I learned that the guy who talked continuous smack was mostly scared. The real tough guys didn’t have to say anything. We all knew who they were. Rex reminds me of those chirpy little punks that would get their asses kicked but act they like were tough. He’s a fraud. And I think his team is a fraud.

21. deepbacksidedig says: Jan 4, 2011 9:41 AM

Said linebacker Calvin Pace, “It’s tough with a guy like Peyton. He’s probably already watched half our season [on tape].”

No Calvin, all of them.
    And he remembers it. All of it.
    The formations, tendancies, who got beat and how, all of it.
    Vegas line is 3?
    Got to go higher.

22. kellyb9 says: Jan 4, 2011 9:41 AM

I’m a Pats fan, and as much as it sickens me to say this… GO COLTS!

23. deepbacksidedig says: Jan 4, 2011 9:48 AM

By the time jester the molester is done, the Indy popcorn vendors will be volunteering for special teams.
    Please coach, make me the gunner?

24. sawcnugget says: Jan 4, 2011 9:53 AM

With all this trash talk I guess one could say Rexy is going to end up with a severe case of foot in mouth disease, and he’s gonna love every minute of it!!!!

25. robzar says: Jan 4, 2011 10:03 AM

To whoever keeps squashing my witty posts ( 3 times today ) all I can say is piss-off ya bloody maggot.

26. Jack Burton says: Jan 4, 2011 10:13 AM

It’ll be so sweet to see Peyton and the boys beat the brakes off the Jets.

27. j0esixpack says: Jan 4, 2011 10:22 AM

Looks like Rex is setting himself up to put his OWN foot in his mouth instead of someone else’s

28. jetfan12 says: Jan 4, 2011 10:34 AM

If Rex can’t win the game honestly than maybe he can get more coaches to trip the Cult’s players from the side line. No honestly if he can’t get it done this year, can someone give him a call and let him know that I can help. Good luck Jets.

29. jvw1982 says: Jan 4, 2011 10:39 AM

This Indy team is not good, this will be the best chance tht Rex has at getting the win…They struggled to beat a bad Tenn team last wk…at home…….the Jets can easily win this game…..

30. dallasbaby says: Jan 4, 2011 10:55 AM

All I have to say is, Peyton had better not take his shoes off within a 5 mile radius of Lucas Oil when Rexie is in town.

31. blackglass3 says: Jan 4, 2011 10:59 AM

This game works out awesomely for us Pats fans. Either we get A) To see Rex get STOMPED by Peyton and the Colts. And watching the Jets lose games is almost as fun as watching the Pats win games.

Or we get B) The Jets squeak by the Colts, and get a Patriots team still pissed off they didn’t hang 100 on them in November. Brady and Belichick remember all the bombs you’ve tossed their way, Rex. They don’t forgive OR forget. They just might take your love of “defilement” to a whole new level.

Win/Win, ladies and germs!

32. blackglass3 says: Jan 4, 2011 11:01 AM

And I agree with whoever said Rex should be psychoanalysed. Rob must have kicked Rex’s ass all over the house when they were boys, cause I rarely hear Rob Ryan say a word.

33. vincespowersweep says: Jan 4, 2011 11:15 AM

As much of a loud mouth as I think this clown is, I don’t think he’s out of line on this one. When you consistently get your ass kicked by the same team, how is it not going to turn personal?

34. indywilson40 says: Jan 4, 2011 11:15 AM

jsizzle52, you conveniently forgot to mention all the other times that a Rex ryan coached defense faced Peyton Manning. In the other 5 games that Ryan was the defensive coordinator for the Ravens and then a head coach for the Jets, Manning was 93-141, 1343 yards, 12 touchdowns and ZERO interceptions(all losses, except last year in the regular season, when Manning was pulled for Curtis Painter). Don’t get on this message board and tell everyone how successful Rex Ryan is against Peyton Manning when to fail to mention ALL the facts. OWNED!

35. mistrezzrachael says: Jan 4, 2011 12:00 PM

blackglass3 says:
    Jan 4, 2011 10:59 AM

Win/Win, ladies and germs

Boy do you ever have that one right. Belichick never forgets and never forgives…Clowns like J Fisher, Dungy, W Phillips, and rexy…he’d hang up a 1000 if he could.

NEVER thought I’d say this…but am rooting for jets…The lure of seeing what Belichick/Brady do to them again…could bring pleasure to ALL NFL fans
    …except the parasites who follow jets.

Not to mention…rexy’s pregame meal of licking ‘homemade ‘cream’ off Wilforks toes.

36. belicheckyoself says: Jan 4, 2011 12:01 PM

He only says this publicly because the Colts aren’t even near full strength.

Chickenbleep.

37. waccoforflacco says: Jan 4, 2011 12:26 PM

I wonder how many Colt fans will have their shoes and socks off dangling over the side of the wall by the Jets bench?

38. luvthatdirtywata says: Jan 4, 2011 12:49 PM

why does this guy continue to stick his foot in his mouth? o yeah, cuz he likes it.

39. CKL says: Jan 4, 2011 1:44 PM

I’m with you mistrezzrachel and that other pats fan. “Rooting” for the JESTS all the way. Much as I loathe them I loathe Indy more. There has never been a SINGLE TIME I have rooted for Indy..ever. Including when they played the JESTS last year in the playoffs.

40. luvthatdirtywata says: Jan 4, 2011 2:22 PM

a true pats fan will never root for the jets.

doesnt matter who the pats play they are gonna roll…as far as the rest of the nfl is concerned:

thanks for coming.

41. jsizzle52 says: Jan 4, 2011 2:50 PM

indywilson40 –

Owned, really? I was simply making a point to contradict the fact that Rex has NEVER had success vs Peyton. There is no arguing over the fact that Peyton has had his way with Rex, but did have success.

How many Defensive Co’s can say they have had a ton of success against Peyton?

You really don’t have an argument here buddy, too bad you take things to another level, thus causing a wake which covers up any intelligent post you may have.

By the way, how does it feel to take ownership of someone else’s records and with prideful ignorance? Isn’t that a little embarrasing? Do you steal from your children and claim ownership as well? Do you feel like a walking cheat, a little bit? Come on. HAHA!

What a joke!

It really takes a big man to beat their chest standing behind one of the greatest QBs of all time.

42. nesuperfan says: Jan 4, 2011 10:00 PM

ampats says:
    Jan 4, 2011 9:28 AM
    Every Pats fan will be rooting for the jests this weekend.

Looking forward to destroying this sorry joke of a team ! AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

luvthatdirtywata says:
    Jan 4, 2011 2:22 PM
    a true pats fan will never root for the jets.
    _______________________________

I am more with ampats. I don’t fear Indy, but I do respect them, and they are always dangerous. So if they are out, that is good. Now, rooting for the Jets is not very appealing, but I only do so that we can have another shot, and maybe hang 70 points on them, and send fat Rexy home.

43. pfii63 says: Jan 5, 2011 8:45 AM

I don’t think the Jets can stop the Colts this weekend, but it sure would be fun to see Sexy Rexy get his arse handed to him again in New England.