Matt Leinart says he’s ready to be a starter

Matt Leinart

After a season where Matt Leinart was cut in favor of Derek Anderson and sat on the bench behind Dan Orlovsky (and Matt Schaub), Leinart believes he’s ready to take the next step in his career.

“I want to be a starter in the league, and I feel like I’ve paid my dues,” Leinart told the Houston Chronicle. “I sat for three and a half years now and played behind a Hall of Fame quarterback [Kurt Warner] which a lot of people don’t remember. Obviously, coming here is not the way I planned, but I think Matt Schaub is a great quarterback.”

Leinart said he learned a lot in Houston, but sounds ready to move on.  While there won’t be a lot of great free agent quarterbacks available, it’s hard to imagine Leinart getting anything but a backup job.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
45 Responses to “Matt Leinart says he’s ready to be a starter”
  1. bucks12965 says: Jan 4, 2011 6:55 PM

I want to be a starter too.

2. *Legion* says: Jan 4, 2011 7:04 PM

I guarantee Matt Leinart will be a starting QB next year.

I also guarantee it will be for the Sacramento Mountain Lions.

3. loytomaki says: Jan 4, 2011 7:07 PM

I think it is obvious that the QB coaching in Arizona is not very good at the moment. But I do not expect that fact to help him find work. I don’t remember the specifics, but I thought Leinart was very accurate but was just checking the ball down too much. A good QB coach could have probably helped that.

Seems he might be a victim of trying to start him too early in his career, when he wasn’t ready, now his confidence is shaken and he no longer has that “new QB smell” so if a team like the Vikings grabbed him to compete for a job their fanbase would eat them alive. I wonder how many of those top pick bust QBs would have had careers if they sat for 3 years before starting? Not everyone is Matt Ryan on has Joe Flaccos defense.

4. joetoronto says: Jan 4, 2011 7:08 PM

He might be ready mentally, but that arm he was born with will never be ready.

5. eknirb says: Jan 4, 2011 7:12 PM

Two words.
    Arena.
    Football.

6. rhythmfish says: Jan 4, 2011 7:14 PM

He looks like the dude on the Allstate (?) commercials.

7. granadafan says: Jan 4, 2011 7:15 PM

He’s paid his dues??? What a typical comment from a self-entitled Trojan. You have to EARN the spot, dancing boy. Leinart typifies the Heisman trophy QBs for the last 20 years in that he was surrounded by NFL talent against vastly inferior competition to put up inflated numbers.

8. cardsmac says: Jan 4, 2011 7:27 PM

I’ve heard this song before

9. melikefootball says: Jan 4, 2011 7:36 PM

Another prime example a hero in college does not transfer to the pros.

10. jhorton83 says: Jan 4, 2011 7:37 PM

I could see Pete Carroll taking a chance on him in Seattle next year. Hasselbeck is beyond washed up and I don’t think they’re totally sold on Whitehurst yet despite what he did last Sunday.

11. andyprough says: Jan 4, 2011 7:41 PM

Anyone who has to tell you that they “paid their dues” probably hasn’t paid their dues

Anyone who has to tell you that they “deserve to be a starter” probably doesn’t deserve to be a starter

Memo to Leinart – if you were looking THAT good, the NFL personnel guys would be talking about you, rather than YOU talking about YOU.

12. xpensivewinos says: Jan 4, 2011 7:49 PM

He would immediately become the best quarterback the Dolphins have the second he walked in the door.

How pathetic is that?????

13. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jan 4, 2011 7:53 PM

Just because you sit for 3.5 years doesn’t mean you are “ready”. You have a noodle arm (every pass at USC was an arching pass to a wideopen player essentially) and make bad decisions. You should crawl on your knees to anyone offering you more than 3rd string…and those roles are usually reserved for young, promising prospects.

14. gor3hound says: Jan 4, 2011 8:01 PM

I still think the guy makes a lot of sense in Seattle, in the other hand andyprough is right.

15. mean13 says: Jan 4, 2011 8:02 PM

He may stink but he’s still better than Henne.

16. pastabelly says: Jan 4, 2011 8:09 PM

It would be great irony if were to back up Matt Cassel in KC.

17. getagrip10 says: Jan 4, 2011 8:22 PM

USC and Pete Carol equals pretty boy QB’s who cannot play in the NFL. Sanchize stiff, Leinart stiff, and Carson is a stiff as well.

I am not sure you cannot put Cassell in that category because he never played a game at USC. But the jury is still out on him.

18. ninjapleazee says: Jan 4, 2011 8:23 PM

if Todd Collins can start in a game.. why not Leinart

19. cowboys4life says: Jan 4, 2011 8:25 PM

What due’s has he paid?

20. hawkapalooza says: Jan 4, 2011 8:32 PM

#
    jhorton83 says: Jan 4, 2011 7:37 PM

——
    ——

PC did not try to get him when he was available, why bother now?
    Whitehurst, a veteran pickup and a rookie will battle it out.

21. Reggie's Bush says: Jan 4, 2011 8:37 PM

Hee’s ready to be a starter in the next Hollywood football film.

22. Jack Burton says: Jan 4, 2011 8:46 PM

Matt, Vince Young on line 2.

23. citizenstrange says: Jan 4, 2011 9:02 PM

The Jets should sign him. He’s better than Sanchez.

Prediction: If Sanchez plays his usual seven point game in the playoffs two things will happen.

1) He’ll get a quick hook for Brunell.
    2) The Jets will sign Leinart.

Rex Ryan has talked too much smack to go one and done without even trying to see if Brunell can actually get a touchdown or two.

24. realitypolice says: Jan 4, 2011 9:22 PM

rhythmfish says:
    Jan 4, 2011 7:14 PM
    He looks like the dude on the Allstate (?) commercials.
    =======================
    I’m a back up QB.

I came from USC.

You’d think that would mean I’m pretty good.

But I just threw that incomplete pass right through the window of your Hyundai.

Think your cut rate insurance is going to cover that?

25. scoops1 says: Jan 4, 2011 9:30 PM

Hope Matt likes the the cold weather cause he will end up in Buffalo

26. tooz56 says: Jan 4, 2011 9:33 PM

He makes a lot of sense for Seattle. I think Pete will at least take a look at him

27. pukey60 says: Jan 4, 2011 9:48 PM

Talking and doing are two different things.

28. PCa Survivor says: Jan 4, 2011 9:48 PM

Redskins. Redskins. Redskins.

29. palinforpresidentofnorthkorea says: Jan 4, 2011 9:59 PM

There are reasons why he sat for 3.5 years……

30. ralphwilsonsucks says: Jan 4, 2011 10:05 PM

Scoops1, It not always cold there! Get with the program.

31. dirtdawg55 says: Jan 4, 2011 10:07 PM

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers. That is where guys who think they have paid their dues go. They signed Todd Marinovich and Sean Salisbury after all.

If playing behind a Pro Bowl or Hall of Fame level QB mattered, Jim Sorgi would be the best QB in the league.

But hey, the Seahawks could be a great fit. And the Browns. Or even the Bengals. Maybe even the Niners. Consistently bad teams need a consistently bad QB. Leinart fits that bill perfectly.

32. sirsprague says: Jan 4, 2011 10:23 PM

realitypolice says: Jan 4, 2011 9:22 PM

I’m a back up QB.

I came from USC.

You’d think that would mean I’m pretty good.

But I just threw that incomplete pass right through the window of your Hyundai.

Think your cut rate insurance is going to cover that?

=======================

I’m glad I finished my drink, because I would have just spit it out laughing. Well played.

33. myopinionisrighterthanyours says: Jan 4, 2011 10:26 PM

@realitypolice

Now that’s funny!!!

Seriously, though, if Leinart wants to be a starter it will almost assuredly be in a league that starts with an A, C, or U, and not an N.

34. mystereo says: Jan 5, 2011 12:15 AM

When you can’t beat Orlovsky for the backup QB job, you know your QB career is OVER.

35. billsfan1 says: Jan 5, 2011 1:19 AM

Does he mean the cover charge at those parties when he says dues

36. pondbridge says: Jan 5, 2011 1:40 AM

Leinart is worth a look at Seattle or San Francisco, assuming that the Niners can’t get Luck, IF his work ethic has improved.

37. contract says: Jan 5, 2011 3:03 AM

It isn’t about “paying dues”, it’s about putting in the work and being a leader.

38. bigguy54 says: Jan 5, 2011 3:29 AM

Just because Leinart palyed at USC does not mean Carroll will sign him. He sucks, weak arm, and too interested in partying to get better. Every USC player will not end up in Seattle. I like the idea of him backing up Cassell, that would be funny.

39. quentincosta says: Jan 5, 2011 5:20 AM

The high school team in Glendale would be a better fit for this fraud…

40. steelers6pack says: Jan 5, 2011 7:14 AM

Leinart is a bust! He never did anything for the Cards when he started and could not beat out Dan Orlosky for backup in Houston? ANother overrated USC player……………..

41. goldtoothbiscuits says: Jan 5, 2011 7:36 AM

starter in CFL?

42. toe4 says: Jan 5, 2011 7:56 AM

Wait?! Leinart plays for the Texans?

43. steelerdynasty2010 says: Jan 5, 2011 9:03 AM

he paid his dues???? union dues maybe..this is the nfl buddy, pay to play means something way different than it did in college

44. jagerbolt says: Jan 5, 2011 1:56 PM

Maybe you should try MMA Training with Jay Glazer again Matt? Because it really honed your QB skills the first time.

45. hrmlss says: Jan 6, 2011 5:41 PM

Maybe he means he paid his Union dues for 3.5 years and now expects them to file a grievance and get him a starting job.