Tucker Carlson backtracks on Vick execution comment

tucker-carlson

Now that Tucker Carlson has regained some relevance via the bizarrely outlandish suggestion that quarterback Mike Vick should have been executed for his crimes against dogs, he can move into the apology/clarification/contradiction phase of the attention grab.  (Actually, Carlson didn’t apologize.)

Appearing last night on FOX News Channel (via the Huffington Post), Carlson said that he got “too emotional” and that he doesn’t think Vick should have been executed.

“I’m uncomfortable with the death penalty under any circumstances,” Carlson said.  “Of course I don’t think he should be executed, but I do think that what he did is truly appalling.”

Of course that’s not what he said last week.  And of course we have all now been reminded that Tucker Carlson has not yet been executed or otherwise died.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Tucker Carlson backtracks on Vick execution comment”
  1. songbre says: Jan 4, 2011 10:36 AM

Well … he needed some limelight so he opened his mouth and put his foot in it … Why else would you comment on a subject that hasn’t been the forefront of the M.Vick story for a couple months now …
    And like a “Good Christian” he retracts his statement because he read his Bible and saw that forgiveness is preached more than execution …
    I wouldn’t be surprised if one of his Fox associates educated him on this because all of Fox’s employees are “Good Christians” !!!
    What a JOKE …

2. dansyndersux says: Jan 4, 2011 10:40 AM

Well he wont be the last idiot to make an ignorant comment.

Leonard Little kills someone via drunk driving and gets 90 days.

Stallworth does the same gets 20 days.

Vick kills dogs and gets almost 2 years, but no thats not enough lets give him the gas chamber…what a complete and total moron.

He has repaid his debt to society. Get over it already.

3. pftisfullofit says: Jan 4, 2011 10:42 AM

You guys are really digging for Vick stories…is there nothing better to discuss. How about your thoughts on the playoff matchups…Oh, wait, you’re probably saving that for later in the week, and need to spill crap like this on us for the time being.

NON STORY

4. tiffpats4eva says: Jan 4, 2011 10:47 AM

I hope the same commenters who applauded Tucker’s so-called courage last week will stand by those comments this week.

5. phillyforlife says: Jan 4, 2011 10:52 AM

This is my post on Tucker’s site:
    Sorry Tucker we now know what and who you are. For one if your a “christian” you should forgive and never say anything like this for it makes you no better than him that was your 1st mistake. The second was showing everyone that your nothing more that a flip flop, tells me you will say anything if you think it’s what people want to hear, and that may not be your fault could that’s what your told to do by Fox news. Because fox news will only report the truth if it fit’s their agenda. For saying what did you should be fired just like Rush and Imus because what you said was much worse than what they said you called for a fellow HUMAN’S death and claimed you were a christian yes like it or not M.Vick is human.

He’s a hyocrite and talks out both sides of his mouth just like most so called christians, remember any one can hang a cross on a door and call it a church. Also if you believe in the almighty it comes for the heart and shows in you actions, not from a self proclaimed rightous group of hypocrites.

6. dirtybird06 says: Jan 4, 2011 10:58 AM

@dansyndersux :

absolutely great point! I wish everyone could read that and then STFU!!!

7. backdapack says: Jan 4, 2011 11:02 AM

Carlson has the right to express his opinions and Vick has the right to pursue his career after paying his debt to society…..sounds like a win-win!

8. zaggs says: Jan 4, 2011 11:04 AM

What I love is how idiots like Floor-Boy continue to believe that someone who consistently thought up new and more torturous ways of killing animals is somehow right in the head. I mean its not like that is a warning sign for serial killers.
    Whats hilarious is acting as if this was Tuckers main point of the discussion.
    Also he retracted it the next day saying “I love dogs — we have three — and I think what Vick did was horrifying and shockingly cruel. Executed? I don’t know. I do know that 19 months is a joke. People get more than that for tax evasion. He certainly shouldn’t be back in the NFL with Obama rooting for him. What the president said is disgusting. That’s the story as far as I’m concerned.”

9. scytherius says: Jan 4, 2011 11:12 AM

Another little Right Wing coward. that’s OK. I haven’t, and won’t, change what I think they should do to him.

10. footballisfun says: Jan 4, 2011 11:35 AM

Why are we still talking about this privileged frat-boy legacy child?

11. realitypolice says: Jan 4, 2011 11:45 AM

I don’t think Tucker Carlson ever really thought Vick should be executed. He is just another Fox News blow-hard who would rather ask for forgiveness than permission. Say it now, get the reaction and the notoriety, clarify later.

Carlson in the past was more of a libertarian who kept most of his commentary to fiscal issues and rarely waved his Christianity in everyone’s face, ala O’Reilly and Beck, which is why I liked him.

I don’t know if he’s given into pressure or what, but he is starting to sound like just another Fox God Squader, which I despise.

Whatever, the Vick comments were way out of line, and anyone who is a regular here knows what I think of Vick.

12. idriveamoped says: Jan 4, 2011 12:05 PM

@scytherius

That guy isnt a right wing coward, hes just an idiot that makes “right wingers” like myself look bad.

13. dolphinatic says: Jan 4, 2011 12:10 PM

I personally like Bow-Tie Tucker better than Big Boy Tie Tucker. Bow-Tie Tucker would never have said that.

14. riverhorsey says: Jan 4, 2011 12:15 PM

saying Vick should of been executed is a far cry from… “I’m uncomfortable with the death penalty under any circumstances,”

sorry Carlson you don’t walk back statements like that..

15. dman19 says: Jan 4, 2011 12:17 PM

Tucker deserves the Ed Block courage award..

16. camphardball says: Jan 4, 2011 12:46 PM

dansyndersux says:
    Jan 4, 2011 10:40 AM
    Well he wont be the last idiot to make an ignorant comment.

Leonard Little kills someone via drunk driving and gets 90 days.

Stallworth does the same gets 20 days.

He has repaid his debt to society. Get over it already.
    ————————-

I agree that both Stallworth and Little got off easy. But that easily could happen to any person reading this website that has had a few drinks and drove home. There is no reason they can’t pay for a ride home. They both broke the law and made a MISTAKE! Can you say that Vick accidentally killed dogs and made a MISTAKE? Over and over again! Did they accidentally rip the dogs teeth out? Raping dogs….Etc….

Is getting the Eagles into the playoffs how has he repaid his debt?

I am not sure how one compares to the other?

17. ihateannouncers says: Jan 4, 2011 12:48 PM

C ‘ MON MIKE!!! Your better than this. Leave this kind of garbage to the political forums. If you are referencing anything from Fox News /CNN / huffington post(really??), then it probalbly doesn’t belong here. Especially during Wildcard Week!!
    Tucker Carlson???? Really really lame….

18. chapnastier says: Jan 4, 2011 12:52 PM

Looks like a lot of left winged boobs who know nothing about Fox News except what MSNBC tells them. Gotta love this country!

19. gergie1957 says: Jan 4, 2011 12:56 PM

As a news reporter you draw attention to yourself by saying something intelligent, or something really stupid.

Whens the last time Tucker has said something intelligent?

20. philtration says: Jan 4, 2011 12:59 PM

This is what Fox News does.
    Throw out “outlandish suggestions” and then pull back just enough to get anyone with a brain from ripping them.
    The loyal nimrods will only hear the parts that they like and agree with so it all serves their original intention.
    They want to make the news, not just report it.

Fox is all about making people afraid and making them angry.
    Not a hard thing to do when those people are already narrow minded and not very intelligent to begin with.

21. halftermguv says: Jan 4, 2011 1:08 PM

Carlson has been a shill for conservative talking points all his career and lacks any credibility.

John Stewart tore his sorry @ss apart 5 or 6 years ago and he has yet to recover.

22. abninf says: Jan 4, 2011 1:21 PM

If someone electrouted my dog to death I would like to see them get the death penalty.

23. dansyndersux says: Jan 4, 2011 1:52 PM

…They both broke the law and made a MISTAKE! Can you say that Vick accidentally killed dogs and made a MISTAKE? Over and over again! Did they accidentally rip the dogs teeth out? Raping dogs….Etc….

Is getting the Eagles into the playoffs how has he repaid his debt?

I am not sure how one compares to the other?

————————————————–

Vick admitted a thousand times what he did was a mistake; as do many criminals who’ve been caught. Stallworth/Little were involved in car accidents that resulted in the deaths of human beings and received a combined 105 days in JAIL.

Vick ran a dogfighting operation and received ~570 days in PRISON. I annunciate prison/jail because there is a huge difference between the two.

Offenders in jail are there for crimes for one year or under. Prison inmates are 1+ years to lifers; the time in prison is much harder.

The differences are obvious. Justice clearly isnt blind and scales are always tipped to those who have wealth/influence. Public outrage also plays a factor. Millions of people condemned Vick for his crime but didnt anyone care about the people Stallworth and Little killed?

I say Vick repaid his debt because he served his time and lost everything….job, money, lifestyle.

Vick clearly has a dark soul for what he did but we as a society need to keep things in perspective. Dogs<People…but clearly not in this case.

24. abninf says: Jan 4, 2011 5:21 PM

He should have said it on MSNBC. Nobody would have heard about it.

25. dolphinatic says: Jan 4, 2011 9:47 PM

Faux (fox) is owned by an Ausie(Rupert Murdoch) and a Saudi prince(prince al waleed bin talal a member of the royal family) keep trusting them for news if you like, I however am no sheeple. Don’t believe me? Google the names and learn the truth for yourself.

26. warriorking1112 says: Jan 5, 2011 2:26 AM

vick(the HERPED CHILD) is already proving he is gonna be a flash in the pan! next year he will be back to his “joke of a qb” style of play! hopefully the eagles lock him up and he rips philly off worse than he did ATL!