Vick says he’s at 90 percent, scoffs at report he may be benched

Michael Vick

Eagles quarterback Mike Vick continues to make a dramatic recovery from an injured quadriceps muscle that he suffered a week ago tonight.

On Monday, Vick said he went from 50 percent to 75 percent.  On Tuesday, Vick told Howard Eskin and Ike Reese of WIP radio in Philly that he progressed from 75 to 90.

At the current rate, Vick will be at 120 percent by game time.

Vick also addressed the recent suggestion from Sal Paolantonio of ESPN that Vick could be benched if he struggles with blitz pickup against the Packers.

“Writers are gonna write what they wanna write, say what they wanna say,” Vick said.  “I don’t know the validity to that, but I’m just gonna go out and play my game.  I know what I see on film, what I trust in my offensive line.  You know, it’s not hard to see a blitz, I mean it’s easy.  Minnesota did some things we’d never seen before.  So, it’s all about adjusting and all about remaining confident and not making any game too complicated.”

Eskin then threw a stink bomb at Paolantonio, saying that “Sal’s a good reporter, 50 percent of the time.”  Vick laughed, “Yeah, 50 percent of the time.  You’re right.”

Vick’s comments came a day after coach Andy Reid downplayed the report on Eskin’s and Reese’s show.

“The quarterback of the Eagles is Michael Vick and that’s the way we go about business,” Reid said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com.  “People say stuff all the time.  I know how things escalate with the different networks and Internet.  The quarterback is Michael Vick and that’s the way were going with it.”

It’s not really a denial.  Even if it were, Reid’s handling of the quarterback carousel earlier in the season, when he said that Kevin Kolb is the starter two days before giving the job to Vick, proves that, like many coaches, Reid will say whatever he believes to be the strategically necessary thing to say.

In this case, there’s no reason whatsoever to create a distraction by suggesting that Vick could be benched if he struggles.  But if he struggles, it could be time to see whether or not Kolb gets another chance to be used as Clay Matthews’ personal camping shovel.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
45 Responses to “Vick says he’s at 90 percent, scoffs at report he may be benched”
  1. tigrrrr says: Jan 4, 2011 8:48 PM

2. hobartbaker says: Jan 4, 2011 8:49 PM

One day to go from 50% to 75%, two more to go from 75 to 90. Mike meets the law of diminishing returns.

3. laeaglefan says: Jan 4, 2011 8:52 PM

Anyone who saw Kevin Kolb’s performance against Dallas on Sunday knows that barring a debilitating injury, Vick will be in there the entire game against the Packers.

4. realitypolice says: Jan 4, 2011 8:53 PM

75% yesterday, 90% today.

Damn, by Sunday he’ll operating at 165%.

5. flavordave says: Jan 4, 2011 8:55 PM

Whats an Eskin?

6. realitypolice says: Jan 4, 2011 8:56 PM

Minnesota did some things we’d never seen before.
    ==================

And you never adjusted to it, and you lost.

Does that mean if Green Bay shows you something you’ve never seen, you’ll lose that game, too?

7. fonetiklee says: Jan 4, 2011 8:59 PM

Is Terry Bradshaw still dead?

8. jimmy1smith says: Jan 4, 2011 9:07 PM

Vick’s scared of being banished to Andy’s dog house, he knows what comes next.

Socoliopathic dog killer, the Eagle fans must be so proud.

9. ijabber88 says: Jan 4, 2011 9:09 PM

*yawn*

10. bspurloc says: Jan 4, 2011 9:12 PM

who cares fantasy is over… hope GB D bashes him to nothing

11. skoobyfl says: Jan 4, 2011 9:37 PM

I hope Vick wins the SB. I just feel for Pluto & what passes through Vick’s head, LOL.

12. bigbear12 says: Jan 4, 2011 9:41 PM

The Fudge Packers are going to show him a lot of things he has never seen before, whether he is 120% or not I would be surprised if he manages to stay in for the entire game.
    6 sacks by halftime is my guess.

13. pukey60 says: Jan 4, 2011 9:41 PM

Best game of the week end – by far. Can’t even pick it.

14. vikesdynasty says: Jan 4, 2011 9:46 PM

vikings threw stuff at you that you had never seen before? wow mike vick you probably should start realizing that that might just happen in the playoffs too…what a tool this guy is…maybe you should be the mvp too

15. benjaminbreeg11 says: Jan 4, 2011 9:47 PM

He’s at 75%, he’s at 90%. What a drama queen. In addition to being a complete piece of crap.

16. goldsteel says: Jan 4, 2011 9:47 PM

The Eagles best chance is with Micheal Vick. “Trouble picking up blitz packages”? This is a team sport and it’s the offensive line and running backs that are supposed to be picking up blitz packages.

If a team is blitzing alot then offensive plays are supposed to be called by the offensive coordinator to counter the blitzing. The quarterback’s job is to advance the ball down the field.

17. turk2875 says: Jan 4, 2011 10:10 PM

“Writers are gonna write what they wanna write, say what they wanna say,”

Nice use of aliteration by Vick!!

18. eaglefansnet says: Jan 4, 2011 10:24 PM

Do you think espn will hire me? I can make stuff up too. Here’s one:

Brett favre is going to un-retire again in May and sign with the Packers as their back up QB and assistant cheerleader coach.

I will await ESPN or NBCs call very shortly.

19. 12strikes says: Jan 4, 2011 10:37 PM

@flavordave

Eskin is defined as:
    A short Burger King look alike troll. Normally found head first deep inside the anus of Eagles Head Coaches.

20. mannyicey says: Jan 4, 2011 10:40 PM

#
    skoobyfl says: Jan 4, 2011 9:37 PM

——————————————————

Yeah, I want Vick to win the Super Bowl, too. And be the MVP. And go to Disney World. And take pictures with Goofy and Pluto only. LOL!

21. dirtybird06 says: Jan 4, 2011 11:14 PM

I swear…some of you guys, you just won’t let it go will you? He went to federal prison already, what the hell do you want him to do? Why don’t you idiots go protest Stallworth for actually killing a human and basically getting off scott free?

Unbelievable some of you are!

22. nybeez80 says: Jan 4, 2011 11:39 PM

Eskin said Paolantonio is a good reporter 50% of the time? Perhaps he should work to be more like Sal because Eskin has never come close to being a good reporter. Eskin can continue to fabricate stories about the Eagles opponents right after he wipes off Vick’s man juice from his chin.

23. nfl4ever says: Jan 4, 2011 11:57 PM

“Minnesota did some things we’d never seen before.”

Smartest QB in the league I tell ya!

24. osmocosmo says: Jan 5, 2011 1:16 AM

The nasty articles/comments on Vick are disturbing… Lay off the guy, maybe go for a walk or something. Clear your head.

He turned his life around, why is it so hard to accept?

25. phillyfan4ever says: Jan 5, 2011 2:43 AM

go MV7 haterss = lovers

26. dontouchmyjunk says: Jan 5, 2011 3:24 AM

@tigrrr

“Vick your a loser of a human being and a liar, you laugh at all the people who have fallen for your crap.”
    —-
    Nothing makes me laugh harder than an idiot ranting while using the word YOUR instead of the correct YOU’RE, as in YOU ARE!

Did you get past the 5th grade, moron? Your mom must be proud. You’re an embarrassment. Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? Most definitely, not!

27. snarkygurl says: Jan 5, 2011 3:25 AM

I think I’ve figured out who jimmy1smith will become obsessed with in 2011 now that Favre is retiring for good. And actually it won’t be much different…both Vick & Favre are divas, both have “phenomenal” recovery time, both have head coaches covering their back sides, both have the stain of criminal activity…It’s jimmy’s dream with the exception of not having Favre’s unit to fixate on anymore…

28. tommytd says: Jan 5, 2011 6:25 AM

On Monday, Vick said he went from 50 percent to 75 percent. On Tuesday, Vick told Howard Eskin and Ike Reese of WIP radio in Philly that he progressed from 75 to 90.

At the current rate, Vick will be at 120 percent by game time.
    ============================
    Maybe he’s drinking #4′s kool-aid and thus the miracle recovery to 120%. LOL

29. donterrelli says: Jan 5, 2011 6:30 AM

“but I’m just gonna go out and play my game.”

Just as selfish and arrogant as ever. I wonder if now, he ever has thoughts like “damn, what did I do for the last couple years? Oh yeah, I was in jail.”

30. sjoyner59 says: Jan 5, 2011 6:34 AM

if Vick gets benched I will go to the Vatican and become the next Pope…I like Kolb but he has the mobility of a wooden indian

31. eddyjf says: Jan 5, 2011 6:37 AM

This might be the first time that there was discussion of benching the league MVP. LOL.

32. krow101 says: Jan 5, 2011 7:14 AM

Eagles fans all across Philadelphia were sacrificing their family pets in a fevered plea to Satan to heal their favorite sociopath.

33. 706vet says: Jan 5, 2011 7:28 AM

75….90… just STFU. Laying the groundwork for excuses.

34. heywoodjablome says: Jan 5, 2011 8:08 AM

laeaglefan says:
    Jan 4, 2011 8:52 PM
    ————————————————–
    Obviously you’re an Eagle fan like me but it seems as if you didn’t watch the game. You do realize it was our second team players ll game vs. their first string and it took Dallas up until the end of the game to actually get the meaningless win. Kolb really didn’t have the protection of the starting O-line and skill players on the field (although Chad Hall played his ass off).

35. bigbluefan1 says: Jan 5, 2011 8:14 AM

Vick said it dont matter what the writers write because I cant be readings it anyway

Remember folks its the playoffs its time for Andy Reid to have his yearly mind melt and crash and burn

36. commoncents says: Jan 5, 2011 8:33 AM

Unless you are looking for sympathy, what player goes on record as saying they are 75%??I hope you get broken in half Vick.

37. Eaglefaninric says: Jan 5, 2011 8:35 AM

“You know, it’s not hard to see a blitz, I mean it’s easy.”

Sometimes Vick scares me and makes me think that he still doesn’t get it.

If it is so “easy” then what the heck have you been doing the past 5 games?!

38. dallassux says: Jan 5, 2011 9:07 AM

@bigblowfan,

I think the giants know all about crashing and burning….huh? I think D-Jack is still running. Look out your window, I think he just ran past. Giants blow!

Still bitter I see.

39. osmocosmo says: Jan 5, 2011 9:55 AM

Vick turned his life around. Get over it.

40. kev86 says: Jan 5, 2011 12:07 PM

The Saints won a Super bowl before the Eagles. Eagle fans must hate that they have zero rings. I think its hysterical.

41. kev86 says: Jan 5, 2011 12:13 PM

Winning a game thanks in part to an onside kick is a bit lame. Desperate times call for desperate measures though and it worked. Congrats to the Eagles and their fans on their miracle win against the Giants.

42. dallasbaby says: Jan 5, 2011 3:04 PM

donterrelli says:
    Jan 5, 2011 6:30 AM
    “but I’m just gonna go out and play my game.”

I swear, this man cannot open his mouth and say a DOGgone thing without you people reading your own dislike of him into it. Would this be considered “selfish” or “arrogant” if Brady or Manning had said it? I think not. What do you expect Vick to say? “I’m going to come out on Sunday and play like complete crap?” There is nothing wrong with the comment he made, hundreds of other players have made similar statements.

After all, no one seemed to think it was arrogant when before the Giants/Pats Superbowl, Brady was asked, “which is your favorite Superbowl ring” and he replied “the next one.” What next one Tom you arrogant c*nt? Who won that game?

43. vikescry1 says: Jan 5, 2011 5:17 PM

pleaseeeeeee put kolb in! lol i would love to see clay DRIVE HIS FACE into the ground again! lol seriously it should be a good game though.

44. miltownbearfan says: Jan 5, 2011 6:12 PM

@dontouchmyjunk

I definitely agree, but nothing makes me laugh harder than misused commas. My suit is red, not!

45. lukkake says: Jan 6, 2011 9:09 AM

For anyone wondering about all those blunt force trauma, mid-flight bird deaths. I think it’s safe to say there are more coming…Eagles–> Falcons–> Seahawks–> Ravens…eerie