Matt Millen: I hope John Elway does better than I did

John Elway

As a former player with no personnel experience getting the keys to an NFL franchise, John Elway is in exclusive company. There’s really only one recent example of the same thing happening, and that was Matt Millen’s tenure running the Detroit Lions.

Broncos fans, be afraid. Be very afraid.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post contacted Millen to ask about his experiences, and Millen acknowledged that the Broncos had better hope Elway is a whole lot better than he was.

I hope John does better than I did, because I stunk at it,” Millen said.

Unlike Ozzie Newsome, a Hall of Fame player who worked his way up the personnel ladder before becoming G.M. of the Ravens, Elway and Millen got their jobs without having to learn the ropes first, although Elway does have a little more experience than Millen did, since Elway ran an Arena Football team. Millen said Elway may be surprised by what the job entails.

“There’s a misconception about the job,” Millen said. “It’s less about the game of football. It’s less about X’s and O’s. It’s less about personnel decisions. It’s a job about managing people. It’s about building a consensus when you pick the right head coach. You can’t go in and be this football czar and say this is how it’s going to work. If you pick somebody that a coach doesn’t like and doesn’t coach, that’s a bad situation.”

One difference between Elway and Millen is where they’re starting: Millen took over a Lions team that had gone 9-7 the previous season and promptly ran them into the ground. Elway is taking over a 4-12 Broncos team that has nowhere to go but up.

And Millen does believe Elway can turn the Broncos around.

“Absolutely,” Millen said. “John has a shot to be successful.”

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Matt Millen: I hope John Elway does better than I did”
  1. skoobyfl says: Jan 5, 2011 8:47 AM

The key is for him to act important & look like the failures are everyone else’s fault, right Matt?

2. jimmysee says: Jan 5, 2011 8:50 AM

At 4-12 don’t say there is nowhere to go but up.

There is still farther to go down — and stay down.

This Elway move is risky risky risky.

3. nyjetsholdupsbtrophyin2010 says: Jan 5, 2011 8:51 AM

Dont worry matt he will , he’s smart enough not to draft a WR in the top 5 , 4 years in row …

4. patsfan says: Jan 5, 2011 8:53 AM

wow, looks like Millen got into the sodium pentathol…

5. erictheclown says: Jan 5, 2011 8:55 AM

WhyTF does millen have a job?
    He has no credibility.

6. jpryan06 says: Jan 5, 2011 8:56 AM

Captain Edward Smith: “I hope the captain of the RMS Olympic does better than I did.”

7. joetoronto says: Jan 5, 2011 8:58 AM

skoobyfl says: Jan 5, 2011 8:47 AM

********************************************************
    How do you get that from this?

“I hope John does better than I did, because I stunk at it,” Millen said.

8. motorcitykitties says: Jan 5, 2011 8:59 AM

There is no chance Elway can be as incompetent as Millen. I don’t know how that dullard is able to tie his shoes in the morning. But still be afraid Bronco fans. It can get a whole lot worse then 4-12. Try 0-16. Did I mention that Millen is terrible?

9. 90ragtop says: Jan 5, 2011 9:02 AM

“I hope John does better than I did, because I stunk at it,” Millen said.

**********

Amen to that…

10. rayjayjohnsonjr says: Jan 5, 2011 9:12 AM

I’m sure that Elway appreciates your good wishes, Millen, wink wink, but a third grader could do a better job than you did. Now go get lost.

11. livenbreathefootball says: Jan 5, 2011 9:21 AM

That’s not a very high bar you are setting there Millen.

On the other hand, he did say it is a lot less about actual football and more about managing. Elway has run successful businesses, besides his involvement with the Arena League. Also, who knows what private, unpaid consulting he has done for the Broncos since leaving.

Let’s get through his first draft before we declare Elway a failur shall we?

12. randolph32 says: Jan 5, 2011 9:23 AM

Millen should have used my favorite line — ‘You can’t fall off the floor’…

13. philtration says: Jan 5, 2011 9:24 AM

Not shooting very high on that one.

Millen reminds me of my boss.
    Clueless and without blame yet still able to collect a paycheck because his boss is clueless and without blame too.
    Maybe Al Davis can bring him back to the Raiders.

14. melikefootball says: Jan 5, 2011 9:28 AM

Atleast Matt was up front on how he did, lets hope that Denver isn’t grasping for straws bringing a hereo in at Denver . What experience is John bringing??? The team seems to be in desperation mode with all the players they let go and the coaching merry go round lately.

15. dolfan34 says: Jan 5, 2011 9:39 AM

He’s already done better than Matt and he hasn’t done anything yet.

16. universalcynic says: Jan 5, 2011 9:41 AM

Can we please keep Millen as the measuring stick for former players turned front office guy?

17. VonClausewitz says: Jan 5, 2011 9:55 AM

I’m pretty sure Elway would do better than Millen. To reach Millen’s lofty failure goals there are 3 core prerequisities.

1. You have to be fantastically incompetent.
    2. You have to have ownership that can go for about 8 years without seeing how their money is being spent.
    3. You have to have a curious personality quirk. Once you realize that you are The Problem, you simply go along collecting your paycheck while publicly championing values like accountability, hard work and honor. For years.

There’s a good chance that Nobody Will Ever challenge Millen’s record. Nor should they. It should stand alone as a monument to what arrogance, greed, laziness and an incredible disrespect for others can lead to.

18. enrgy2burn says: Jan 5, 2011 9:56 AM

If you could make one person STFU, would it be Matt Millen or Tony Dungy? I know both are different, but each makes me want to throw up when they speak!!!

19. connie73 says: Jan 5, 2011 10:02 AM

This man is in LA LA land. Anybody not named Millen can do a better job.
    The true words were spoken by erictheclown
    Wish I had said them

20. steelerdynasty2010 says: Jan 5, 2011 10:04 AM

dolfan:
    you beat me to it.
    universalcynic:
    no, we cant. if we do, there will never be another former player turned front office guy
    randolph32:
    i just created a total disturbance at work..thanks, cuz that was HILARIOUS

21. heyguru1969 says: Jan 5, 2011 10:05 AM

Uh, Matt….a lump of coal and a hairball fresh from a cat’s stomach would do a better job than you did. Please don’t put that on Elway.

22. jimmy1smith says: Jan 5, 2011 10:09 AM

I don’t get why Matt Millen is allowed in front of a TV camera after what he did to the Lions.

Simply put, he will go down in history as the single worst GM in all of pro sports, not just football. I feel bad for the Lion’s fans because it will take a decade to undo the damages Millen left behind.

23. sdisme says: Jan 5, 2011 10:10 AM

Way to set the bar high Matt.

24. armchairgm9 says: Jan 5, 2011 10:18 AM

universalcynic says: Jan 5, 2011 9:41 AM

^^^^^That’s like using Susan Boyle as the measuring stick for Miss America contestants. Anybody looks good next to that bag of skin.

And I actually think Millen is worse in front of a camera than as a GM…if that’s even possible.

25. firejerry says: Jan 5, 2011 10:31 AM

Millen is laughing all the way to the bank!!!!!

26. fartography says: Jan 5, 2011 10:41 AM

Oh boy. I’m sure Elway is relieved that he now has a ringing endorsement from the biggest idiot that has ever had a football-related job. The same guy who within the last 4 months said that Rod Marinelli is a “stud” and will get another shot at being a head coach.

“I hope he does better than I did.” Well dipcrap, if he wins a game next season he will have done better than you did. If he can properly interview coaching candidates without getting a $200K fine, he’ll have done better than you did. If he can appear on television without dropping a cultural epithet, he’ll have done better than you did. If he avoids drafting 3 bust WR’s in a row within the first ten picks of the draft, he’ll have done better than you did.

27. ejmat2 says: Jan 5, 2011 10:44 AM

I think I could do better than Matt Millen did. Anyone else think the same? LOL.

28. scytherius says: Jan 5, 2011 11:14 AM

A grapefruit can do better than Millan. Why ANYONE thinks this idiot knows anything about football is beyond me.

29. motorcitykitties says: Jan 5, 2011 11:30 AM

VonClausewitz says:
    Jan 5, 2011 9:55 AM

1. You have to be fantastically incompetent.

_______________________

I don’t think I’ve seen a post on this site that could be more true. Well done.

30. rodge1 says: Jan 5, 2011 11:39 AM

Don’t worry about it Matt, a blind fruit-bat can draft better than you…. Not a Lions fan but believe Matt should be banned from NFL for what he did to that franchise

31. grogansheroes says: Jan 5, 2011 11:51 AM

enrgy2burn says:
    Jan 5, 2011 9:56 AM
    ___________________
    I can’t listen to the game with Millen on it. I keep thinking, what does this guy know, he ruined a franchise. But the guys I wish would STFU are, Michael Irvin, Brian Billick, and Jim Mora.

32. kimcon22000 says: Jan 5, 2011 12:15 PM

“I hope John does better than I did, because I stunk at it,” Millen said.

———————————————

“I hope the next guy does better than I did, because I stunk at it ……..”

`Cpt of USS Titanic
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“I hope the next guy does better than I did, because I stunk at it ……..”

`General Custer at Little Big Horn
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“I hope the next guy does better than I did, because I stunk at it ……..”

`1944 Berlin bunker with Uncle Adolph
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“I hope the next guy does better than I did, because I stunk at it ……..”

`2010 BP Chairman on oil spill

Of course, Matt remains the biggest joke of all time ………. Congrats on that!

33. skids48 says: Jan 5, 2011 12:30 PM

Millen’s a fool. My dead gramma could do 100 times better than that moron.

34. deepbacksidedig says: Jan 5, 2011 12:47 PM

Seriously, why is Millen there?
    While I am at it, I have had enough of Dierdorf too.

Elway must miraculously avoid the player as a coach/management fail syndrome. Hyper talented players seem not to be able to relate, in any sport.
    Harbaugh is an improper comparison. Jim is the son of a coach, spent his time in the trenches learning the craft
    Elway deigns to begin at the top.
    This single fact indicates to me he does not get it, will be out of his realm, over his head.

Like me thinking I could fly the Space Shuttle.

I wish Elway well, until NE has to visit that airless hole in the middle sky. Elway is a class act, good for Denver PR. It feels good. It feels hopeful.

But, I am really skeptical.
    Who in Denver will be able to speak the truth, will be comfortable pissing on the statue, when all does not go as planned, directly to the Super Bowl?

35. ocdn says: Jan 5, 2011 6:39 PM

Millen, you’re still a jackhole!

36. dewalt2990 says: Jan 5, 2011 6:41 PM

Dan Marino had this job too.

37. obsession55 says: Jan 5, 2011 8:17 PM

Is there 1 person on Earth who LIKES matt millen?? I have a hard time believe that his family even likes him. Maybe they’re forced to, but theres no way they respect or listen to him.

Nice hire, ESPN!

38. fourthand20 says: Jan 6, 2011 1:55 PM

Millen should be covering curling in Siberia.

39. oldblue1 says: Jan 6, 2011 7:31 PM

FIRE MILLEN!!!!!!!!……again……. i cant even watch espn because of that as$hat. what a concept, destroy a franchise, steal tons of money,
    then get a job on espn and get more money to spit your stupid unwanted opinion at everyone. what a joke. that guy was so bad he made a whole fan base overly excited for 6-10 hahaha