Shane Lechler lambastes Raiders for firing Tom Cable

Sebastian Janikowski, Shane Lechler

Punter Shane Lechler has played for the Raiders since 2000.  He has seen plenty of coaches come and go.  And he disagrees with the decision to send current coach Tom Cable packing.

In an interview with CSN Bay Area, Lechler called the decision a “huge setback” for the team, and he said that free agents like offensive lineman Robert Gallery and running back Michael Bush won’t want to return.

“I can’t go through another head coach,” Lechler said.  Since Lechler joined the Raiders, the team has had six head coaches:  Jon Gruden, Bill Callahan, Norv Turner, Art Shell, Lane Kiffin, and Cable.

Lechler said that Cable brought a “no-nonsense” approach, which Lechler regarded as “awesome” and “exactly what we need.”

As to Cable’s departure, Lechler said, “I’m not so sure this isn’t a terrible decision.”

Regarding the possibility that Hue Jackson will be the next head coach, Lechler provided a lukewarm assessment.  “Yes, I do respect [Jackson]. . . .  I totally agree and like the energy he brings to the offensive side of the ball,” Lechler said.  “Whether he can call plays and pull off the whole head coaching deal and deal with Al Davis on the side, I don’t know.  That’s a lot on somebody’s plate, so we’ll see.”

Lechler said he has tried to call Al Davis and other Raiders executives, but that he has had no luck getting through.  “I just want to know what the hell’s going on,” Lechler said.  “I just want to know . . . how do you justify firing somebody when you just went 6-0 in the division and 8-8 in the season after we put in so much as a group, as a unit, as a team with our leader being Tom Cable, how do you just go ahead and whack this guy with, I mean, no reason?”

Lechler, who is signed for two more years but now may be a free agent sooner than he expected, isn’t the only one who has that question.  We suggest that no one hold their breath, or any other bodily function, while waiting for an answer.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
55 Responses to “Shane Lechler lambastes Raiders for firing Tom Cable”
  1. matthewhuman says: Jan 5, 2011 7:14 AM

The Raiders finish with the best record since there Super Bowl appearance in 2002 and they can the guy? That makes alot of sense. Oh yeah, it’s Al Davis… I’m sorry Raidernation. :'(

2. joetoronto says: Jan 5, 2011 7:26 AM

I understand Lechler was hot but the way he reacted was unprofessional.

Here’s the way he SHOULD have handled it….

3. joetoronto says: Jan 5, 2011 7:30 AM

It’s not linking to the right video for some reason.

To the right of the page, there’s a bunch of video’s. Click on the one of Grads, he handled it right.

4. paulnoga says: Jan 5, 2011 7:34 AM

The Broncos, Chiefs, and Chargers teams and fans are pushing for a referendum to name Raiders owner Al Davis as “Executive of the Year”.
    That way he will continue to screw up the hated Raiders for years to come.
    good work, Al!

5. George Berry says: Jan 5, 2011 7:40 AM

“No, no, no! I said fire the cable guy for not fixing my TV!”

6. realitypolice says: Jan 5, 2011 7:41 AM

Translation:

Please cut me. Please cut me. Please cut me. Please cut me.

7. tantrim says: Jan 5, 2011 7:45 AM

Al Davis may need intervention or maybe to be put in a nursing home. He no longer is in the world of realty but is in some la la land where he is relevant.

8. waccoforflacco says: Jan 5, 2011 7:53 AM

God for Shane. Davis is a nut and senile. The long suffering Raider fans deserve better. Goodell should step in and see if Davis can pass a mental test for dementia.

My guess is Davis wants to show that Oakland doesn’t support the team and he’ll just move to Los Angelos when they approve the new L.A. franchise.

9. armchairlawyers says: Jan 5, 2011 7:57 AM

Just saw a promo for CSN where they tease that a member of the practice squad isn’t happy about this either.

STAY TUNED!!!!

10. cup1981 says: Jan 5, 2011 7:58 AM

Hey Shane…. Your a punter… Shut up, kick the ball and get back to the bench or you are next!

11. raiderredleg says: Jan 5, 2011 8:08 AM

Firing Tom Cable “a HUGE setback”? PLEASE give me a break…This team hasn’t seen a winning season in almost a decade now and going 6-0 in the division is great, BUT going 2-8 against the rest of the NFL (including loses to the Cards, 49ers, and Dolphins) is HORRIBLE.

This year the Raiders still committed too many penalties, their defense still gives up too many points, and the OL line (which Tom Cable is a OL coach) still disappears at times during games.

Remember what the great Vince Lombardi said:

“Show me a good loser (or in this case a good “non-loser”) and I will show you a LOSER.

Anyway…Jerry McDonald has a good article on his insidebayarea.com/raiders blog regarding Lechler and the rest of the players.

BLUF as long as players get paid (BTW Lechler is the highest paid punter in the NFL) they will get over Cable’s firing quickly.

If Lechler, Gallery, and Bush think they can tell Davis to F’ off and get more money playing elsewhere then more power to them, BUT is anyone really going to pay them more than the Raiders? I doubt it.

Lechler is WAY overpaid as a punter, Gallery is good player, but in the end is a failed 1st round LT prospect (now playing LG) and Bush is a backup/short yardage RB with a metal rod in his leg.

With a lockout looming over the entire league I think Cable’s “unfair” dismissal after ONE non-losing season will be forgotten fairly quickly…It wasn’t like Cable was going to be the next John Madden and I sincerely doubt he will ever be a NFL HC again. He is a solid coach and will make a great OL coach for many years…He is this century’s version of Joe Bugel…Nothing more, nothing less.

Honestly does anyone think Tom Cable has the potential to be a Head Coach in the Super Bowl someday? Al Davis doesn’t and he has won three SBs as an owner…I defer to the old man on this one.

12. kellyb9 says: Jan 5, 2011 8:14 AM

@joetoronto – I agree it was unprofessional, however its not like us where if we don’t like our job we can simply quit. He’s locked into a contract and wants to have a coach that gives them the best chance at winning. For those of you, who think he’s just a punter and should shut up, I think he probably is speaking for a lot of other plays in that locker room.

13. cojetsfan says: Jan 5, 2011 8:15 AM

Once I stopped laughing, I started thinking.

Maybe Al Davis isn’t as crazy as we all think. If there is going to be a lock out…he isn’t paying a coach!

14. commoncents says: Jan 5, 2011 8:19 AM

For the first time in a long time, the Raiders weren’t a complete embarrasment. Al Davis needs to go.

15. clusterpuck says: Jan 5, 2011 8:20 AM

Just Al Davis being an idiot once again. You have a coach that goes 6-0 in the division without anything resembling a legitimate QB and you fire the guy? Real nice.

16. raiderredleg says: Jan 5, 2011 8:23 AM

realitypolice says:
    Jan 5, 2011 7:41 AM
    Translation:

Please cut me. Please cut me. Please cut me. Please cut me.
    ————————————————–
    I hope Davis does cut him…Lechler makes an insane amount of money as a punter…I hope he invested it wisely because NO ONE else in the NFL will pay him as much as the Raiders have.

Besides…all the players who “loved” Cable should have played better in the EIGHT games they lost for their “beloved” coach.

I didn’t want Cable fired either, but this whinning to the media by another Vangerjagt-inspired
    “idiot kicker” just stinks.

Al Davis is VERY loyal to his players and pays them WELL if they are the best in their positions. They need to keep their mouths shut in front of the press and vent directly to Davis.

17. jjackwagon says: Jan 5, 2011 8:24 AM

I am pretty sure Peyton Manning covered this with his “idiot kicker” comment a few years ago.

@ Kelly He IS just an idiot kicker and he does not speak for the locker room. They are big boys and can speak for themselves if they choose.
    Kickers get paid to kick that’s it. How many sideline interviews do you see with the a kicker? Zero! Why? Because 99.9% of the time nobody cares what the kicker thinks. SO Yes he needs to STFU!

18. raiderinpa says: Jan 5, 2011 8:26 AM

Made me sick in my stomach when the news flashed across the screen last night about Cable… I understand both points of view (8-8 isnt good enough vs. positive change) but Lechler is right, its a HUGE setback…. Who says Jackson can be a head coach nonetheless do what Cable has done over the past couple of years…

Cable deserved at least one more year…. You dont go from the toilet bowl to the Superbowl in one year… even Al D. should understand that…

19. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 5, 2011 8:30 AM

“If Lechler, Gallery, and Bush think they can tell Davis to F’ off and get more money playing elsewhere then more power to them, BUT is anyone really going to pay them more than the Raiders? I doubt it”

@raiderredleg,

Maybe they, you know, would actually like to play for a franchise that wins and gets to the playoffs, did you ever consider that ?

20. joetoronto says: Jan 5, 2011 8:32 AM

kellyb9: I have no problem with him thinking what he wants to think, or talking to other players about it.

I DO have a problem with him going to the press though, kelly.

That’s not professional, no matter how you want to slice it.

21. burntorangehorn says: Jan 5, 2011 8:47 AM

Lechler’s been one of the few consistently good Raiders in the decade he’s been there. I really like it when the Raiders are bad, but they were not bad in 2010, and I think getting rid of Cable will mean they’re going to return to the cellar.

Keep it up, Al. The rest of the AFC West thanks you. Your team may have swept the division, but your control of the team means the Raiders won’t be winning the division anytime soon.

22. raiderredleg says: Jan 5, 2011 9:03 AM

harrisonhits2 says:
    Jan 5, 2011 8:30 AM

@raiderredleg,

————————————————–
    So you REALLY think Tom Cable is a the type of HC that will take a team to playoff/Super Bowl?

Did YOU ever consider Cable a playoff type of coach?

If you do then why don’t you petition the Patriots to fire their coach and hire Cable? I’ll take Belicheck in a second over Cable…Wouldn’t you?

Anyway…I really don’t mind Lechler being upset, as a fan I wanted another year of Cable and Jackson.

BUT for pete’s sake be a man and go to guy who has given you 20 MILLION DOLLARS the last ten years IN PRIVATE with your beef…Blasting your team to the press is a load of crap.

Hmm…Last guy I can remember doing that was Randy Moss with the Patriots and I thought Belicheck handled that pretty damn good.

23. realitypolice says: Jan 5, 2011 9:03 AM

@raiderredleg:

I agree with you. That was just my first impression when I read the article: Lechler has been around as long as anyone there, and he has to know that his comments, particularly the one about the head coach having to run the team while “dealing with Al Davis”, is quite likely going to get him run.

And he has to know he’s not going to make 4 million a year, or anything close to that, anywhere else.

So I don’t know why he wants to get cut, maybe he feels his better days are behind him and is willing to go somewhere for less money to get a ring.

24. raidernation666 says: Jan 5, 2011 9:07 AM

Shane has a lot of weight in that locker room as a leader, he just isn’t some “kicker”. I’m glad he had the cajones to say what a lot of fans and probably some players are thinking. That team responded to Cable, he turned around the culture there. Its beyond stupid he got fired.

25. bdickey33 says: Jan 5, 2011 9:14 AM

Al…. Hang ‘em up man! Does anything think Al even knows what he did? Dude has lost it.

26. berniemadoffsides says: Jan 5, 2011 9:16 AM

This is a terrible move by the Raiders. I think Al Davis is getting paid by the Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos to have losing seasons. Since Cable finally put together an 8-8 team, he was immediately fired. He should’ve known better…

27. kellyb9 says: Jan 5, 2011 9:20 AM

@joetoronto – That’s true I suppose. He probably already have the interview scheduled and was frustrated over the matter. It’s not the way things should work, but the organization is disfunctional to begin with – Lechler didn’t start that.

Not that I really care about the Raiders (or the AFC West), I tend to agree with his sentiment. I just don’t see the value of turning over coaches every single year. Especially after the team showed some signs of improvement. Either way, it’s going to be tough getting anyone worth a damn to coach there if Hue Jackson decides to go elsewhere. There are a lot of job openings where you don’t have deal with Al Davis.

28. raiderredleg says: Jan 5, 2011 9:29 AM

@ realitypolice

Roger…If Lechler wants out of there he would be following a LONG line of players that went on to be successful elsewhere (Woodson/Moss, etc.). Heck I wouldn’t even put it past the Patriots to pick him up if he was released from the Raiders (ala’ Moss)

As a long time Raider fan I just wish he would respect the franchise and keep his mouth shut to the press and ask Davis to release him.

It isn’t like Al Davis pointed a gun to his head and made him sign a contract that made him THE HIGHEST PAID PUNTER IN THE NFL.

He knew what he was getting into and now he is crying to press about how bad the organization is. Just doesn’t strike me as the “right” thing to do.

Heck Barry Sanders had the guts to decide to retire rather than remain with a franchise that had no future and you NEVER heard him say a bad word about the Lions to the press.

29. joetoronto says: Jan 5, 2011 9:37 AM

kellyb9:

I hear you, loud and clear. Like I said elsewhere, I’m disappointed in the decision, but I’m not shocked.

After decades of following this team to no end, you get to learn how Al Davis thinks. Losing 5 games they should have won AND then saying things like “You can’t call us losers anymore” sealed Tom Cables fate.

I understand it, but I’m disappointed.

That said, I don’t for a minute think the Raiders don’t have a HC lined up already, and it’s probably NOT who everyone seems to think it is.

30. quentincosta says: Jan 5, 2011 9:42 AM

Anyone expecting rational behavior from the Crypt Keeper is truly insane…

31. soleman50 says: Jan 5, 2011 9:49 AM

Who are any of you idiots to condone what another man does. You don’t pay him, know him or have anything to do with him. You couldn’t carry the punters shoes let alone get on the field & yet you all think you know whats best. Like Al has been a professional the last few years. When you are in this guys shoes maybe then you have a right to tell him what to do. Bunch of losers!!!

32. kuhawks2010 says: Jan 5, 2011 9:50 AM

Maybe if they would of beat the Cardinals or the 49ers or maybe the Dolphins or Jags he would still be there. I been able to see the Raiders play several times on TV, and one time they look like world beaters and then you watch them in a game like against Jacksonville when they were dominating the whole first half and get steam rolled. And like I said, how do you lose to the Cardinals and the 49ers?

33. jdandcoke says: Jan 5, 2011 10:21 AM

as a fan of a team that has gone from watching jeff feagles every sunday for years, to now having to watch matt dodge, let me say one thing: please dont believe for a second that a good punter isnt a VERY important part of a team. lechler has as much right to talk as any other football player. the notion that he “only kicks the ball” and shouldnt be allowed to voice his opinion is idiotic.

34. raiderredleg says: Jan 5, 2011 10:41 AM

jdandcoke says:
    Jan 5, 2011 10:21 AM

————————————————-
    “Right to talk” and “voice his opinion” isn’t the point.

POINT IS that he chose the WORST venue to vent (the media).

Punters are part of the game (Ray Guy not being in the Hall of Fame is a travesty), AND ARE IMPORTANT but (to quote NFL Monday Night Countdown) whinning to the media instead of being a team leader and going to the owner behind closed doors:

“C’MON MAN!”

35. scoopandslam says: Jan 5, 2011 10:49 AM

Gotta agree with Lechler here. After you get cut, Shane, come to the Giants!

36. kinggw says: Jan 5, 2011 10:50 AM

Cable is not a good coach. He did not improve the offensive line, which is supposed to be his specialty. The Raiders were the most penalized team in the league. He made terrible decisions with regards to the quarterback. They lost games because of key errors with tackling and fumbling. Those are attention to detail issues that come with coaching.

Cable is a players coach. That is why Lechler is upset, but come on he should stop acting like Bush and Gallery are Peterson and Hutchinson. If they walk the Raiders wont miss them. Its important the Raiders fans realize that the record improved under Cable, but the team did not. If it was up to Cable, Gradkowski would have started every game and the Raiders would be 5-11 or 6-10. Hue Jackson and Jason Campbell are why the Raiders look like a football team, not Cable.

37. mempusa says: Jan 5, 2011 10:58 AM

I think it’s funny that Lorenzo Neal called Jamarcus Russell, DEmarcus Russell a bunch of times in Joetoronto’s video.

38. quizguy66 says: Jan 5, 2011 11:21 AM

#
    raiderredleg says: Jan 5, 2011 10:41 AM

“Right to talk” and “voice his opinion” isn’t the point.

POINT IS that he chose the WORST venue to vent (the media).

“C’MON MAN!”
    #
    ——————————

Reread the article. Lechler said he tried every different way to talk to Al and his people to find out what was going on but was not able to get through/get a response. He’s been there for a decade and is a team leader (the Giants fan brings up a great point about Dodge). He tried to do it internally and failed – being a decade in the league I’m sure that his bills are paid and that he wants to win more than anything.

LOL I know the Giants would probably have him on speed dial if he gets cut.

-QG

39. radrntn says: Jan 5, 2011 11:21 AM

btw shane you fire his ass for going 17-27, and also Shane if the world you live in is great by going 8-8 so be it, I dont live in that world,

40. kimcon22000 says: Jan 5, 2011 12:31 PM

The decision hurts the Raiders in the short run.
    It does not win them more games in the near future.
    FAIL!

41. imamanim40 says: Jan 5, 2011 12:43 PM

just when u think Al Davis has turned a corner (drafting Jacoby Jones and Heyward-Bey, cutting JaMarcus and DeAngelo Hall, trading for Jason Campbell and Richard Seymour), he goes and gets off his meds again

42. nygiantstones says: Jan 5, 2011 12:57 PM

I hope they cut Lechler. The Giants are in desperate need of a quality punter. I assume Lechler has had a lot of practice punting over the last 10 years in Oakland.

43. shiv1623 says: Jan 5, 2011 1:04 PM

poor Raiders… sigh

Al Davis, damn you. Did you not see the progress your team made this year?

For the last 6 years teams chuckled when they saw Oak on their schedule, but that changed this year.

Cable had them playing like they gave a damn.

What a shame

44. raiderredleg says: Jan 5, 2011 3:20 PM

@ quizguy66

I don’t need to re-read the article…Al Davis is the owner and Lechler is the player. One makes decisions and the other gets 20 MIL for kicking a pigskin.

Shooting his mouth off to the media DOES NOTHING to help Cable keep his job and IS NOT what a “team leader” does.

Did Nnamdi Asomugha run to the media like a spoiled, angry child…NO

BTW…It is funny how everyone is blaming Dodge for the Giants not being in the playoff…Punters don’t make or break you…Being able to stop Mike Vick does.

45. aldavisisthenfl says: Jan 5, 2011 3:22 PM

Al always tries to upgrade players whenever possible. Why can’t he upgrade the head coach?

We slip backwards a bit next season and you’ll all be crying. I am going to wait and see Cable’s replacement before I form an opinion.

This is Al’s team till there is no Al, you’re either with us or against us…….

46. raiderredleg says: Jan 5, 2011 3:24 PM

@ shiv1623

The didn’t seem to be playing “like a damn” when they went 2-8 outside of the AFC West…My particular favorite was giving up 31 points in the second half against the Jags that sealed their playoff hopes (a close second was getting trashed by the Colts AT HOME).

47. jagerbolt says: Jan 5, 2011 3:33 PM

Lechler brings up a point & good insight into the team. It was pretty well known that the locker room was very dysfunctional & undisciplined (see: Jamarcus.)

But Cable cracked the whip and Lechler said it was exactly what they needed. Will they just revert back to their old self that grandpappy Davis is pulling the strings again?

And a reminder Raiders fans- Just because someone is an excellent Offensive Coordinator does *NOT* guarantee that they will become an excellent Head Coach.

This is coming from a Chargers fan. Just trust me on this from experience with Norv.

Now instead of having 100% of his time working on the O, he will have his time split up all over. Some coaches can do it, most can’t. Good luck!

48. lanflfan says: Jan 5, 2011 3:57 PM

Undead Al strikes again!

I’m pretty sure Tom Cable will never be a HOF coach, but he did turn around a completely disfunctional Raider culture and restored some sense of winning and pride to the franchise.

With yet another new, young, inexperience coach on the sidelines, you will have more inconsistency. Why are the Pats, Steelers and Indy so good every year (among others)? Consistency from the coaching (and ownership). You don’t have that when you have six coaches in ten years. I bet the Raiders go, at best, 6-10 next year (figuring 16 games atm), as yet another system is put in play.

It may be time for pitchforks, torches, garlic and wooden stakes, Raidernation.

49. dwreckn says: Jan 5, 2011 4:01 PM

Totally agree with you Shane.

Maybe Al wants to bring JaFatso back again and knows Cable (and Kiffin) can’t work with him but MAYBE Jackson can!?! That could be it since he’d be so cheap now…right!?! (smoove Al, smoove…always sleepin, oh I mean thinkin)

Jackson isn’t ready for a Head Coaching job, Raiders will go back to sucking. Least all us DIE HARD FANS can all go back to having no hopes for playoffs by week 5 again…being in the mix for 16 was waaaay too long for Al.

LOOKOUT BELOW! 4-14 HERE WE COME!!!

Thanks Al!

50. raiderking1 says: Jan 5, 2011 4:58 PM

I think it came down to this, would you rather lose Jackson and have the players learn a new system or lose Cable and keep the same system from last year. Its probably not a coincidence this occurred the same day the ‘9ers asked to interview Jackson for their head coach…….

51. grandpoopah says: Jan 5, 2011 11:36 PM

If the Raiders cut him, could one of the remaining playoff teams claim him?

52. stanklepoot says: Jan 5, 2011 11:56 PM

#
    cup1981 says: Jan 5, 2011 7:58 AM

____________________
    And that would be a bad thing for Lechler? He’s a what, six time pro-bowl punter known for being able to change field position? If Al cuts him loose, his voice mail will be flooded by teams looking to meet with him. The only question would be whether teams put in waiver claims for him or waited for him to clear waivers so that they could sign him to a brand new contract. Personally, I like Lechler’s attitude. Should he really not care about winning just because he’s a punter? Face it, Lechler has done more to help the Raiders win the games they have than a number of Al’s first round picks.

53. stanklepoot says: Jan 6, 2011 12:00 AM

______________________
    Davis overpays some of his players not because he loves throwing away money, but because he’s turned his team into such a wasteland that most free agents want to avoid it. The only way to get a top notch player to go to Oakland is to draft them, trade for them, or overpay them.

54. stanklepoot says: Jan 6, 2011 12:15 AM

@raiderlegg, apparently you missed the part of the article where it says that Lechler did in fact try to contact both Davis and other unnamed executives before talking to the media. In case you just skimmed the article and missed it, here it is”

“Lechler said he has tried to call Al Davis and other Raiders executives, but that he has had no luck getting through. “I just want to know what the hell’s going on,” ”

So, he did try to be professional about it and keep it behind closed doors. When no one would return any of his calls, however, it appears he got frustrated and opened up to a member of the media. You can blame him for talking to the media all you want, but when the organization makes a major change like that and doesn’t talk to the players about it, that’s not all that professional either and it’s likely to cause a lot of frustration…and sometimes that kind of frustration can cause people to do and say things they wouldn’t normally do or say. Loyalty works both ways or it doesn’t work at all. Just my opinion.

55. bc666 says: Jan 6, 2011 12:48 AM

If Al Davis were alive today to see all this happening he’d just wonder what has happened to the NFL.