Jerry Jones is not happy with Andrew Luck for upstaging the Cowboys’ press conference to introduce Jason Garrett as head coach.
ESPN’s SportsCenter cut away from Jones speaking to discuss the Luck story, but we stuck around to uncover the goodies. The home viewers didn’t miss much.
1. Garrett’s contract will last four years. That’s fairly standard for a new coach.
2. Jones said Garrett will have final say over his entire coaching staff. They didn’t really announce anything else specific about the staff.
3. “He’s truly one of our own,” Jones said. “We know him well for the qualifications he has for this position. I know that he has spent his entire life preparing for this day. And he is well-qualified.”
4. Jones said he received calls from teams interested in Garrett as a head coaching candidate. Teams that have been talked about a lot this offseason. (Probably the 49ers.)
5. Sensing the news wouldn’t make the usual ripple, Jones held the press conference at JerryWorld Stadium. Jones also wound up at the mic answering questions after Garrett, spending far more time at the podium than his new coach.