Ed Reed’s brother missing, jumped into Mississippi River to avoid police

edreed

Brian Reed, the 29-year-old brother of Ravens safety Ed Reed, is missing after jumping into the Mississippi River to avoid police in St. Charles, Louisiana.

Deputies say they saw Brian Reed jump into the river, go under water and disappear.

“The suspect jumped into the river, went about 15 feet according to the deputy,” Sgt. Dwayne LaGrange, a spokesman for the St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office, told WWL TV. “At some particular point they said he did witness hands and head come up and go under the water and never resurface again.”

Reed had been involved in a chase and may have been driving a stolen car, police said, and the car matched the description of a vehicle that almost ran another driver off the road.

But Karen Reed, the mother of Brian and Ed, said her son was driving a family member’s car.

“He was a good person,” said Karen Reed. “He kind of had a little run in with drugs and stuff. He had kind of got off it. Other than that he was alright. . . . I’m hoping he’s not in the water. If he is it’s going to be up.”

Ed Reed and the Ravens are scheduled to play against the Chiefs in Kansas City on Sunday.

Permalink 137 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
137 Responses to “Ed Reed’s brother missing, jumped into Mississippi River to avoid police”
  1. mrssmith says: Jan 7, 2011 7:19 PM

Praying for Ed and the rest of his family.

2. 4sacroc says: Jan 7, 2011 7:22 PM

Says it all …..

3. joetoronto says: Jan 7, 2011 7:24 PM

“He was a good person,” said Karen Reed. “He kind of had a little run in with drugs and stuff. He had kind of got off it. Other than that he was alright. . . . I’m hoping he’s not in the water. If he is it’s going to be up,” she said.

Out of respect to his mother, I’ll just shake my head at this.

4. hoobsher says: Jan 7, 2011 7:24 PM

you stay classy, reed family

5. deadeye says: Jan 7, 2011 7:25 PM

I fully expect Brian Reed to be found being harboried by his brother Ed in the hours leading up to the Chief game. The authorities will then be forced to show up at the game and arrest Ed Reed during warm ups.

This incident will single-handedly tilt the odds in the Chiefs favor, resulting in an early exit from the playoffs for Baltimore.

Sorry Raven fans, but there’s always next year…

6. holyinconsistent says: Jan 7, 2011 7:27 PM

running from ray ray???

7. dumperthumper says: Jan 7, 2011 7:28 PM

Karen seems very motherly:

“if he dies he dies”

8. wtf__seriously says: Jan 7, 2011 7:33 PM

This transcends football rivalries.
    Very tragic. I hope he is found safe.
    Our thoughts are with you and your family, Ed.

9. Deb says: Jan 7, 2011 7:34 PM

The other article said they were cuffing him when he broke free and ran. Since police, family, and friends have been waiting some time for him to resurface, it doesn’t sound hopeful. Sad situation for the family and for Ed.

10. gambleonsports says: Jan 7, 2011 7:34 PM

Of course this would be reported only moments after I make my biggest play of the weekend on the ravens…

11. FinFan68 says: Jan 7, 2011 7:36 PM

———————–
    “If he is it’s going to be up.” Not a statement I would expect to hear from a mother. BTW, good people do not drive stolen cars and jump into rivers to avoid police…that’s what scumbag criminals do.

12. chrisdenoia says: Jan 7, 2011 7:37 PM

“For he is truly his brothers keeper, and the finder of lost children” – Ezekiel 25:17 or Samuel L. Jackson from Pulp Fiction…

13. jbaxt says: Jan 7, 2011 7:47 PM

He “kind of got off” drugs? Clearly a guy who can’t swim who jumped into a river may have “kind of” been on drugs.

14. 8man says: Jan 7, 2011 7:48 PM

This isn’t ending well. It may already be over.

I have to wonder where we draw the line. This isn’t a football story. There are no contracts in this item. There are no X’s and O’s in this blurb. This guy doesn’t and hasn’t played for an NFL team.

I’m not so sure the fact that he is the brother of someone who plays in the NFL is enough relevancy.

That being said, I did read it.

15. dcpatfan says: Jan 7, 2011 7:50 PM

He’ll surface in west baltimore.

16. brasho says: Jan 7, 2011 7:51 PM

“He had KIND of got off it”? How do you kind of get off of drugs? He was no longer injecting heroine and was now only smoking crack?

17. da11ascowboys says: Jan 7, 2011 7:53 PM

He’ll be fine. I do this all the time on Grand Theft Auto.

18. meso0rnery says: Jan 7, 2011 7:54 PM

First off, let me say that I really hope that Brian is OK. Ed Reed seems like a good guy. He seems like one of the few good guy’s on the Ravens. Hopefully, if his brother makes it, and he is released from prison, Ed can get him a spot on the team. He should fit right in. God bless you Brian.

19. pervyharvin says: Jan 7, 2011 8:04 PM

The Mississippi is no joke. Current,trash and cold water. Always liked Ed Reed so for his sake hope his bro is ok. If I had to bet though I’d say he has become fishing structure. Stupid move to jump in there.

20. brownyelf says: Jan 7, 2011 8:05 PM

yeah I’m sure he didn’t do anything

21. 4sacroc says: Jan 7, 2011 8:07 PM

meso0rnery says:
    Jan 7, 2011 7:54 PM

===============

Beautiful. Take the rest of the night off!

22. seanx40 says: Jan 7, 2011 8:07 PM

Just sort of stupid and sad. I feel bad for the family. And strangely, the cops. Imagine how they feel. Just a routine arrest, and the guy ends up dead. No cop wants that.

23. pukey60 says: Jan 7, 2011 8:08 PM

My condolences.

24. bravin4evr says: Jan 7, 2011 8:08 PM

I was wondering how long it would take for the insideous individuals to start posting. These very same people act as though no one in their families has ever had a problem. WISE OLD SAYING……CLEAN YOUR OWN BACK YARD BEFORE YOU LOOK IN MINE……….

25. 4sacroc says: Jan 7, 2011 8:08 PM

Al Campanis told us years ago they can’t swim.

Cost him his job.

I think Al’s due some reparations.

What say you, “Tawana?”

26. gypjet says: Jan 7, 2011 8:09 PM

I think he was just trying out for the St. Charles swim team. I forgot though, is Ray Ray a Crip or a Blood?

27. nesuperfan says: Jan 7, 2011 8:10 PM

What I want from each and every one of you is a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area.

28. brownieelfrulz says: Jan 7, 2011 8:10 PM

I’m sure he was doing nothing wrong. Hey, I run from the police all the time and jump into a river! It’s a game I like to play!!! I’m sure this will all be the Police Department’s fault. Sad state of affairs…

29. smokehouse56 says: Jan 7, 2011 8:13 PM

I find it strange that he didn’t help his brother financially. I know I would have. Having said that, it probably wouldn’t have made any difference. Than again, perhaps he did. I’m not laying any blame on Ed Reed. He’s a good man. It will be tough to play this weekend. Wish Ed and his family the best. I will not kick a family when their down like this.

30. ratbastardshanahandjob says: Jan 7, 2011 8:16 PM

From the story- “LaGrange said just as officers were cuffing Reed, he took off running.”

Won’t be long before they blame Sheriff officers for this…..

31. pftstory says: Jan 7, 2011 8:16 PM

Good kid Mom except for the criminal activities.

Maybe her poor definition of “good” helps explain the jumpers problem.

32. jbaxt says: Jan 7, 2011 8:16 PM

da11ascowboys says:
    Jan 7, 2011 7:53 PM
    He’ll be fine. I do this all the time on Grand Theft Auto.

I hate the Cowboy’s, but that was hilarious!

33. pftstory says: Jan 7, 2011 8:18 PM

Oh and does she really think its better to be running from the cops in a family vehicle rather then a stolen one? That makes it OK?

34. luckyhole says: Jan 7, 2011 8:19 PM

LOL @ da11ascowboys

35. camdenyard says: Jan 7, 2011 8:21 PM

“Ed Reed seems like a good guy. He seems like one of the few good guy’s on the Ravens.”
    ============================

What the h*ll do you know about the players on the Ravens?

36. 0marooney says: Jan 7, 2011 8:21 PM

“He was a good person. He kind of had a little run in with drugs and stuff. He had kind of got off it. Other than that he was alright. . . . I’m hoping he’s not in the water. If he is it’s going to be up.”

So much for motherly love.

37. huejackson says: Jan 7, 2011 8:21 PM

thug… u dont run for no reason and u def dont jump over a bridge

38. sarahpalinhater says: Jan 7, 2011 8:27 PM

I guess Ed is NOT his Brothers Keeper. I don’t wish him harm. But IF he did drown or anything,,,then he has only himself to blame.

Sorry, but it’s true.

39. christianholzman says: Jan 7, 2011 8:27 PM

@ da11ascowboys : Lmao! Best comment yet.

40. theuncletodd says: Jan 7, 2011 8:30 PM

nothing says innocent like jumping off a bridge–
    I have a very low tolerance for people that do these things and yet expect us to feel sorry for them and the family. He made choices and now he sleeps with the fishes.

41. Bubby Brister says: Jan 7, 2011 8:33 PM

So what you’re telling me, 8man, is that the mental stability of someone whose brother just died — who, ohbytheway, just so happens to one of the best players on a team getting ready to playoff game in two days and may subsequently distract him and the rest of the team — is a non-football story?

Oh, okay.

42. touchdownroddywhite says: Jan 7, 2011 8:34 PM

#
    da11ascowboys says: Jan 7, 2011 7:53 PM

He’ll be fine. I do this all the time on Grand Theft Auto.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow. That’s the most awesome comment I’ve seen on here yet. Well played.

43. alewatcher says: Jan 7, 2011 8:40 PM

Lets see, some potential jail time, or drowning in the Mississippi river. Life is full of tough choices.

44. phinfan says: Jan 7, 2011 8:51 PM

yikes! Not a distraction at all

45. knowerofallthings says: Jan 7, 2011 8:52 PM

bigger than football. Condolences to the family

46. coachstram says: Jan 7, 2011 8:52 PM

So many questions……

So many comments…..

Stay classy, PFT.

47. mrcowpatty says: Jan 7, 2011 8:53 PM

He will resurface but with a new identity. He will be know as Bob.

48. philtration says: Jan 7, 2011 8:55 PM

He sounds like a POS and his mother does not seem to care very much so why would any of you?

Why all the fake concern?

49. icewalker946 says: Jan 7, 2011 8:57 PM

nesuperfan says:
    Jan 7, 2011 8:10 PM
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    I was going to say, “He did a Peter Pan” but you had a better line.

That being said, I do totally hope that Brian Reed is found safe and alive and that he can totally kick the drugs that led him to this event.

Alas, the odds don’t sound good.

50. dasmol says: Jan 7, 2011 8:57 PM

He isn’t missing. He’s hiding.

@nesuperfan says:
    Jan 7, 2011 8:10 PM

Hilarious!

51. SpartaChris says: Jan 7, 2011 8:58 PM

Man, that sucks for Ed, who by all accounts is a classy guy.

No offense to Ms. Reed, but if her son was driving a “family car,” why didn’t he simply pull over?

52. iamthorny says: Jan 7, 2011 8:59 PM

What on earth is wrong with the vast majority of you? Imagine this is YOUR brother. He’s likely DEAD and you guys are praising some idiot for saying, “he’ll be fine…I do this all the time in Grand Theft Auto”?????????

Great group, here.

53. johnnydom says: Jan 7, 2011 9:00 PM

“He was a good person,” said Karen Reed. “He kind of had a little run in with drugs and stuff. He had kind of got off it. And oh by the way Ray Lewis was trying to get a stabbing in before the big game, I’m hoping he’s not in the water, if he is it’s going to be up to Ray Lewis to get scuba gear on a kill him underwater.”

How about the fact that her last name is the same as his is maybe the most shocking tidbit.

54. meso0rnery says: Jan 7, 2011 9:01 PM

#
    camdenyard says: Jan 7, 2011 8:21 PM

============================

What the h*ll do you know about the players on the Ravens?
    ———————————————————————
    Well,.. since you were so kind to ask… Here it goes…

Ray Lewis was charged with double murder, pleads guilty to obstruction of justice.

Jamal Lewis was arrested for selling drugs… AND HE WAS RICH!

Terrel Suggs beats up his old lady, then is nice enough to clean her wounds with bleach.

Donte Stallworth does his best impression of the kids in I Know What You Did Last Summer.

I can keep going, but I think you get the point.

55. profootballwalk says: Jan 7, 2011 9:01 PM

#
    8man says: Jan 7, 2011 7:48 PM

This isn’t ending well. It may already be over.

That being said, I did read it.”

And commented.

56. steeelfann says: Jan 7, 2011 9:04 PM

My condolences to you, Ed Reed, and your family.

We need to find religion man, and quit chasing the earthly things so much that are all temporary. Another young man lost. We all die in the end, so why chase the money, the drugs, the fornication, the lying and cheating? God bless you Ed.

We wish you peace from the Steeler Nation.

57. ravensj5 says: Jan 7, 2011 9:06 PM

Wow…..Stay classy PFT idiots……

58. goldsteel says: Jan 7, 2011 9:06 PM

I question whether this news item should have been posted here. Is it pertinent to football? It’s similar in nature to the piece about Coach Ryan’s sex life.

Too Much Information
    The Police

59. righthereisay says: Jan 7, 2011 9:10 PM

Not sure how Ed is going to be able to get over this and play on Sunday, but I am sure he will.

I hate the Ravens, but feel sorry for Ed’s loss. He’s never been the mouth that Ray Lewis. He speaks with his play on the field.

60. brownsclown says: Jan 7, 2011 9:15 PM

He’ll resurface in the USFL (Underwater Scuba Football League).

61. lucky5927 says: Jan 7, 2011 9:17 PM

da11ascowboys says: Jan 7, 2011 7:53 PM

He’ll be fine. I do this all the time on Grand Theft Auto.
    —————————————————–
    Totoally agree! I am still laughing a few minutes after reading that comment. haha

ALSO…

#
    bravin4evr says: Jan 7, 2011 8:08 PM

WISE OLD SAYING……CLEAN YOUR OWN BACK YARD BEFORE YOU LOOK IN MINE……….
    —————————————————

I have never heard of that saying???

62. 4sacroc says: Jan 7, 2011 9:18 PM

smokehouse56 says:
    Jan 7, 2011 8:13 PM

============

Dude, Obama’s bro’ lives in a shack in Kenya. The Bamster got no gov’t cheese for his own kin.

63. realitypolice says: Jan 7, 2011 9:19 PM

@8man:

Like it or not, it’s a football story.

If Ed Reed doesn’t play, which he won’t if they find his brother’s body before Sunday, or if he plays under a cloud because his brother hasn’t been found, it potentially affects the outcome of the game.

Sounds a little rough, I know, but it’s reality.

64. hrmlss says: Jan 7, 2011 9:19 PM

Sounds like a real brain surgeon, He will be missed, until next years Darwin awards.

65. iselldrugstoandyreidskids says: Jan 7, 2011 9:20 PM

Wow ppl making jokes about a guy who’s probably dead that bone of you knew personally lol but go ahead keep talking and making remarks like u know what kind of person he was lol

66. browniebuck says: Jan 7, 2011 9:21 PM

This is what’s wrong with our society today…the guy was running from the police in a stolen, or unstolen, vehicle, resists arrest, jumps in a river to elude capture…and we are supposed to feel sorry for him?

Children are taught EVERY DAY by their family members to blame others, make excuses for the things that they have done wrong, and never take responsibility for their actions. As a teacher, coach, and husband of a woman that is unable to have children…I am beyond sick of people having child after child that don’t do anything to raise them to be responsible, upstanding citizens.

I have sympathy for Ed…losing a brother can’t be easy, but I don’t have any sympathy for his criminal brother.

67. momsasaynt says: Jan 7, 2011 9:30 PM

What is the matter with you people ? A man could be dead and all some of you can do is make a mockery of it? All your mothers would be proud.

68. phillybirds says: Jan 7, 2011 9:33 PM

Lets make sure this man is alive before you make jokes. If he’s not. Shame on you all. No one deserves to lose a family member like that. It’s terrible news.

69. realitypolice says: Jan 7, 2011 9:35 PM

iselldrugstoandyreidskids says:
    Jan 7, 2011 9:20 PM
    =======================

Pretty funny hearing such sanctimonious holier-than-thou talk from someone with such a classy screen name.

70. Jack Burton says: Jan 7, 2011 9:36 PM

Sux for his family whether he was a criminal or not.

71. vahawker says: Jan 7, 2011 9:37 PM

smokehouse, how do you know he didn’t? Some people would simply take any money and blow it up their nose or shoot in their arms. Could be he was one of those people. In any case, my condolences to Ed and his family if it turns out his brother is dead.

72. bigjd says: Jan 7, 2011 9:39 PM

Last three times I ran from the cops I jumped in the river and got away. It’s a pretty good plan. You just have to pick your seasons.

73. muskie51 says: Jan 7, 2011 9:39 PM

Why wont black people learn to swim! This is a totally unnecessary tragedy….

74. nfl4ever says: Jan 7, 2011 9:39 PM

da11ascowboys says: Jan 7, 2011 7:53 PM

He’ll be fine. I do this all the time on Grand Theft Auto.
    —————————————————–
    Comment of the week, easily!

I’m still chuckling at that one.

75. obamain2012 says: Jan 7, 2011 9:45 PM

76. shiftyshellshocked says: Jan 7, 2011 9:47 PM

I’m shocked, get it?

77. mrssmith says: Jan 7, 2011 9:49 PM

meso0rnery – I hate to tell you that the charges for Jamal stemmed back to a phone call made before he even signed a contract for the Ravens. he obviously wasn’t rich at the time..

78. meso0rnery says: Jan 7, 2011 9:55 PM

obamain2012 says: Jan 7, 2011 9:45 PM

———————————————————————
    I don’t have all the facts, but, clearly you must be iselldrugstoandyreidskids’ third biggest client.

79. steelersfan88007 says: Jan 7, 2011 9:56 PM

browniebuck says:
    Jan 7, 2011 9:21 PM

Well put.

80. meso0rnery says: Jan 7, 2011 9:57 PM

mrssmith says: Jan 7, 2011 9:49 PM

———————————————————————-
    My bad dude. That changes everything…

81. bradwins says: Jan 7, 2011 10:04 PM

Cops kill another brother. What else is new?

82. pooflingingmonkey says: Jan 7, 2011 10:04 PM

I’m not a Ravens fan, but I hate to see this happen to anyone.

To those of you making jokes (some of which were kind of funny, I must admit) imagine what it would be like to be in Ed Reed’s shoes right now. Sorrow, guilt, etc.. That’s just way to young to die, particularly in this circumstance.

83. frankvzappa says: Jan 7, 2011 10:04 PM

this probably would never have happened if drugs were legal, which they should be…the pharmaceutical companies just want you on their drugs, and they are outlawing plants, natural supplements and now outlawing vitamin C…how stupid do you have to be to realize that its all a scam and none of us are free? if freedom werent a total frigging lie, then stuff like this would NEVER happen…WAKE UP

84. Deb says: Jan 7, 2011 10:06 PM

@Bubby Brister …

I’m more concerned about the mental stability of the PFT faithful.

@4sacroc …

You can never find a speeding psychedelic hippy bus when you need one? Gee, you’re such a classy guy. Compassionate conservatism at its best. :roll:

85. AlanSaysYo says: Jan 7, 2011 10:11 PM

Either Karen doesn’t give a crap about her kid, or she’s not worried because he’s HIDING IN HER BASEMENT RIGHT NOW.

86. brownsclown says: Jan 7, 2011 10:13 PM

Can’t wait to the announcers make their sanctimonious, sad announcement of this. It will sound like mother Teresa died!

87. ilaughatitall says: Jan 7, 2011 10:33 PM

GTA, Obama’s brother living in a shack, and a self-righteous commentor whose screen name contradicts his very point. This is the greatest thread ever!

Seriously though, it is never a good thing when a person commits foul deeds or dies. As a father, husband, teacher, and someone who lost a brother early in life, that affects me a great deal.

I am just glad I can come to PFT and not be let down. That there are people in this world who understand that comedy is needed during tragic times.

88. shastacornell says: Jan 7, 2011 10:38 PM

da11ascowboys says:
    Jan 7, 2011 7:53 PM

He’ll be fine. I do this all the time on Grand Theft Auto.

Hands down the line of the night.

89. ccoolahan14 says: Jan 7, 2011 10:46 PM

A bunch of classy people here on PFT. Just to get this straight, you people don’t like the Ravens (jealousy/they hit a lot harder than your favorite team and are intimidating so they MUST be bad people even though, since 2000 the Ravens are 22nd in the league in arrests) so you make jokes when Ed Reed’s brother likely dies. The same Ed Reed who has no history of arrests and who spends a great amount of his time helping the community, and also happens to be quite possibly the greatest safety of all time. Oh, and he also does this with little to no fanfare, and is the opposite of an attention-hogging egomaniac (e.g. Roethlisberger- the guy who IS an actual threat to society- he’s raped 3 women- and routinely MAKES UP INJURIES just to get attention). If it were Reed that did this then fine, be low class and make fun of him, but it wasn’t, it was his BROTHER. The reason the story is posted is obviously because he’s related to Reed, and you really upstanding indviduals are making jokes about a guy you’ve never met or heard of before and somehow, according to everyone here, apparently, Reed isn’t deserving of compassion because, despite doing nothing wrong himself, his BROTHER made a mistake. Some quality people being churned out these days.

90. phlflyers says: Jan 7, 2011 10:47 PM

I just peed in my pants a little at Dallascowboys comment.

91. rectumnearlykilledem says: Jan 7, 2011 10:48 PM

Rex Ryan was heard to ask, “Did they find his feet?! Did they find his feet?!”

92. ccoolahan14 says: Jan 7, 2011 10:52 PM

But hey, lets, enjoy ourselves by making jokes about how an upstanding, very respectable person’s brother just died. Why are you doing this again? Well, because he’s better than any safety on your favorite team and thus you’re jealous, and because you don’t like the Ravens. Pure class, PFT posters, you aren’t pathetic at all.

93. brownyelf says: Jan 7, 2011 11:08 PM

I feel bad for kids with diseases, I feel bad for people that die in freak car accidents, I feel bad for people that are beaten, raped, abducted and murdered. I don’t, however, feel bad for morons that die because of their own stupid actions. For their families, yeah, but not for the individuals themselves. All the idiot had to do was stand there, get cuffed and deal with it. He would be alive and not missing, and this article wouldn’t exist. If this we’re a family member of mine, I’d be upset. But at the end of the day it’s still his own dam fault

94. myspaceyourface says: Jan 7, 2011 11:09 PM

ha ha ha ha ha

omg how fitting

ha ha ha ha ha

I can’t stop laughing

95. brownyelf says: Jan 7, 2011 11:10 PM

Lol @frankvzappa. Yeah man, he ran because he had a pocket full of advil and emergen-c

96. backuppunter says: Jan 7, 2011 11:14 PM

Any time I want to lose my faith in humanity I just read the comment sections on one of these stories. What a bunch of judgemental Arses. But I guess it gives you all a chance to feel better than someone else.

97. myspaceyourface says: Jan 7, 2011 11:15 PM

The two lines that get me are:

“and stuff”

“kind of off drugs”

kind of never stole cars

sort of did drugs

rarely beat his girl

sometimes went to church

occasionally pushed the dog down a flight of stairs

other than all that stuff he was a good person

98. sterilizecromartie says: Jan 7, 2011 11:23 PM

Please stop it with all the holier-than-thou talk people. It makes me sick. The guy was running from the cops and jumped into the freakin Mississippi River. That means he was guilty and stupid.

99. realitypolice says: Jan 7, 2011 11:48 PM

nesuperfan says:
    Jan 7, 2011 8:10 PM
    ============================

I didn’t kill my wife!

I don’t care!

100. chedberg says: Jan 8, 2011 12:21 AM

@dallascowboys,

Awesome. Just utterly and completely awesome.

Thank you.

101. papoose059 says: Jan 8, 2011 1:40 AM

I look at this story more how it will effect Ed Reeds play on the field. Making jokes about the guys brother because he used drugs and ran from the police is hardly noteworthy. Turn on your local news.. Or if your vilifying the guy for using drugs check your parents medicine cabinets. Or check your own. I think people got along fine before Oxys and Xanax scripts.
    But more importantly I think the Ravens still cover the 3. Which is all I care about

102. deadeyeisacvnt says: Jan 8, 2011 2:19 AM

@deadeye you unclassy cvntrag pos fahhgot i hope something terrible happends to affect your life tragically so you know how it feels i will be praying befor bed tonight for you to be taught a lesson on natural affection for another human being and wat a better way for that to happ for you to exsperiance it first hand you fking pos your obviously a redneck and you bring personal issues of someones life in to a game you azzclown see your the type that talks alot of sht over the internet but has a vagggina in person tell you what how about you send me a private message of where i can come talk to you about this matter like a grown man id really like to talk to you in person cupcake man up and lets meet for some drinks or something k sweetcheeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

103. deadeyeisacvnt says: Jan 8, 2011 2:24 AM

o yea btw most likely the ravens are gonna shut out the luck yto be in the playoffs chiefs who havent even beat a winning team all year ! and then we are gonna run thru the steelers or new england which ever ones gets in our way we are obviously better then both of them team new england got away with a lucky win early in the year when we were playing bad and the steelers got away with a fumble that shouldent have stood considering the holding and the face mask on oher during that play bt as usual the refs see nothing when it comes to the ravens but all that is gonna be a non factor in the playoffs because we are gonna get up by so much in all our games noone will be able to recover time for the ravens to win another superbowl they by far are the best team in the nfl and we will show it from week to week!!!!!! btw did brett farve play bad when his dad died or did he have one of teh best games of his life? o yea he had a great game and destroyed his apponent fvck off cupcakes and take all your azz whippings like the little girls you are !!

104. deadeyeisacvnt says: Jan 8, 2011 2:36 AM

i jinx every team in teh playoffs but the ravens brady will brake a toe rothelsbooger will find a reporter to rape and mnning is just not a good QB anymore hes fair and would be easy to beat chiefs speak for them selfs no good and jets are bad and overated but better then the colts so that puts teh ravens in the superbowl like they should be we would be every year if it wasent for the owners of the colts pats and steelers paying them off to call unfair games so there sports books and casinos will make millions its obviously what football has come to i give my word ravens win the superbowl this year noone can compare to our talent!!

105. deadeyeisacvnt says: Jan 8, 2011 2:39 AM

all the ones talking sht on here im sure have alot of drug addicts in there families and probly parents brothers or sisters and are just venting on someone elses sorry because they cant handle there own lmfao i bet 9 of ten of your are on drugs of some sort and are complete losers living in there parents basements hahahah id bet my left nut on that!!

106. revolution22 says: Jan 8, 2011 2:40 AM

this is some sad stuff. I heard recently that the water in the Mississippi is 40 degrees where he jumped. Can’t imagine Ed playing going through something loike this, and if he does, I can’t imagine him fully “there.”

Condolences to family, and friends. I can’t imagine this ending well…

107. stanjam says: Jan 8, 2011 2:44 AM

While his actions make him LOOK guilty, I will remind you all that this does not mean he IS guilty.

He ran from the cops. You say innocent people don’t do that? Sure they do. Moments of confusion, or they are scared. Perhaps they have had a history of abuse by the police, or an inherent mistrust. You just never know. Probably he was guilty, but we can not be sure.

Jumping into the river? Bad choice this time of year. He is likely dead. But I will not paint him as guilty unless there is some real good evidence that he committed a crime.

Feel bad for Ed. It very well could affect his play. Depends on what kind of person he is, and if he can block it out. It may help him play better.

Not to disrespect Ed Reed, but I do hope the Chiefs win. The Ravens came close to beating the Pats once this year. I would rather not give them a second chance.

108. stanklepoot says: Jan 8, 2011 5:42 AM

#
    smokehouse56 says: Jan 7, 2011 8:13 PM

________________________
    In most cases, financially supporting a drug addict without also providing nearly constant monitoring can be worse than doing nothing. You enable their addiction. It’s not like Ed Reed’s job gives him a lot of free time right now to watch over his brother.

109. dman19 says: Jan 8, 2011 7:11 AM

He obviously lacks buoyancy–Go figure –Or maybe he’s hiding in Ed’s Moozlim beard…

110. geezohman says: Jan 8, 2011 7:13 AM

deadeye —chill out

———-

for the others…. Saturday night live changed America…. nothing is sacred…

ppl truly are less compassionate… they frget the line by walt disney in bambi, if u cannot say something nice don’t say anything at all…

the whole reason Dale Carnegie courses are doing well…

—————-

Some ppl are more realistic view of life.. his mom saying if he jumped in the river.. hes ‘done’ for.

others are more emotional… (i have two daughters… one is math teacher… very realistic ..colder in emotions.. my youngest a music teacher.. the arts’ side of things.. very emotional and couldn’t calculate miles per gallon on her car…

the homeless announcer from Columbus.. see his mom how see reacted… she heard (his drugs and alcohol) excuses way too many times and was tired of them

I do feel bad for a family losing a ‘loved’ one whether they had problems or not. I just lost my Dad from AZ

now back to reality:

Football questions: Is there a statement by the Ravens yet and Ed…

Has Vegas changed the ‘line’

and yes.. on a light hearted side of this tough world and life… Grand thief auto was a good line BECAUSE he preceded it ..he will be ok…

I even joked was Ray being questioned.

111. myspaceyourface says: Jan 8, 2011 8:12 AM

“can’t imagine Ed playing thru something like this”

Really?

At worst, He will take some drugs to numb the pain. The show will go onn.

112. southstandsjunkie says: Jan 8, 2011 8:59 AM

Brian Reed probably saw ‘The Bourne Ultimatum’ too many times.

He must not have seen the alternative ending on the DVD where Jason Bourne fell to the bottom of the river and decomposed for the next 6 months.

113. mborz says: Jan 8, 2011 9:42 AM

@ccoolahan14: Why is it every time someone plays the “morals” card, they’re also happen to be defending their own team?

If this had happened to, say, James Harrison’s brother (if he even has one), would you be here lashing out at the insensitive comments like you are since it happened to Reed?

For many people, this kind of stuff is funny, or at least tolerable when it’s happening to a different team, but not acceptable when it happens to their own.

114. gallyhatch says: Jan 8, 2011 9:49 AM

obamain2012 says:
    Jan 7, 2011 9:45 PM

“I don’t have all the facts, but, clearly the St. Charles police department acted stupidly.”

HOLY CRAP! obamain2012 you posted the best comment I have ever seen on this site, never mind this story…(for those who don’t know he’s quoting our idiot president)

I do feel bad for the family, anyone losing a family member @ 29 is very sad (let’s face it, the odds of him surviving are not good), but it’s hard to sympathize w/ Brian Reed considering the circumstances being reported.

Everyone coming to this comment section chastising the $hit-talkers and expecting classy behavior & the best of humanity etc., you must be new in town, this isn’t the place to find it.

115. lawyermalloy says: Jan 8, 2011 9:59 AM

“da11ascowboys”

Comment of the year!

116. sterilizecromartie says: Jan 8, 2011 10:11 AM

@deadeyeisacvnt

Wow. That was embarrasing. Punctuation is a wonderful thing you know.

I was really looking forward to putting some money on the Ravens. Now I am not so sure. This is a totally different team without Ed Reed.

117. ccoolahan14 says: Jan 8, 2011 10:21 AM

@mborz wouldn’t expect you to grasp the meaning of my comment. Reed has NEVER done anything wrong and spends as much time helping the community as anyone. Also, being as he’s arguably the best safety in history, he’s also an extremely exciting player to watch. Reveling in his misery simply BECAUSE it’s Ed Reed (would people really be commenting if it was just a random guy? No, they wouldn’t care) is pathetic.

As for your example, James Harrison- this is a person who is the exact opposite of Reed. He beats his baby mama, has been reported by PFT that he’s one of worst people in the NFL off the field (and based on what we’ve seen of him, I dont think that surprises anyone. I mean, has the guy EVER smiled? He spends his time punching people in the face on the field), and he’s very likely on steroids – not exactly a guy that you have sympathy for (and for the record, his MOM assaulted someone and his dog attacks his son).

And as for defending the Ravens, I simply did this in reaction to the comments, not the article. People seem to have a perception that the Ravens are loaded with bad people, when they are 21st in the league in arrests since 2000 (by the way, everyones beloved steelers are IN THE TOP TEN). The real reason for this perception is that they hit a little too hard, they’re a little too intimidating, and they’re a little too good, so they must be bad people as a result of everyone’s jealousy.

118. raven4life21 says: Jan 8, 2011 10:27 AM

first off, for all you ignorant jerks out there… this is NOT a funny situation… for any of you that have never lost a family member or have one go up missing, keep the stupid ignorant comments to yourselves… we all have the “screw’up” relatives… get over it… Ed Reed is one of the most respected Ravens on and off the field… for this to happen to him and his family is awful and they are in my prayers… Much Love to the Reed family

119. raven4life21 says: Jan 8, 2011 10:34 AM

on another note… and this is just a “what if” scenario… some big wig with lots of money on another team that doesn’t wanna play Ed Reed in the playoffs kidnapped Brian Reed and sent out a “look alike” to purposely run from the police and disappear into the Mississippi river to distract Ed Reed in the playoffs or force him NOT to play… we all know NOBODY wants do the Ravens D with Ed Reed back there with ALL the turnovers he forces… just a “what if” scenario but definitely possible

120. quentincosta says: Jan 8, 2011 11:37 AM

stanjam says: Jan 8, 2011 2:44 AM

——————–

Nope; completely innocent but most likely dead nonetheless…

I always run from the cops when I am about to be cuffed…

and da11ascowboys is the All Time Champion of PFT Commenters! Genius take…

121. rayguyreturns says: Jan 8, 2011 11:39 AM

Nothing positive can be said about this so I’m going to STFU.

122. geezohman says: Jan 8, 2011 12:27 PM

raven4life21 says:
    Jan 8, 2011 10:34 AM
    ===============================

wow… maybe too many TV shows or movies…

I know… we’ll wait a month or so and WIKI LEAKS will tell us…. the CIA ! head of CIA is a KC fan….

or maybe the sheriff had his feet and hands soaking wet (during) the interview as he (held the guy underwater…. After all it is the South after all and they still are.. fighting the ‘war’… was the sheriff wearing mirror sunglasses.. calling people ‘boy’

wake up .. wake up.. where am I … on PFT..oh.. ok

123. mborz says: Jan 8, 2011 12:34 PM

@ccoolahan14: Geez. I picked Harrison only because he played for a division rival. If you want to pick the player for my example, then go ahead — choose any other player for any team other than the Ravens and then ask yourself: Would you be playing the “morals” card if someone said insensitive stuff about them or their family? Or is it only offensive enough to complain about when it hits close to home?

Better yet, show me one case where you’ve spoken up about being morally offended about a story that didn’t involve the Ravens. Show me one case where you’ve spoken out about the nonsense people say here on a story about the Colts, Patriots, Eagles, any other team in the NFL.

124. shastacornell says: Jan 8, 2011 1:37 PM

I can’t believe all the crying and whining…who comes to a football blog to get all sensitive??

No one wishes the Reed family or anyone harm but I’m not coming to PFT to share my soul, I’m here to see what dallascowboys says next.

Still chuckling over grand theft auto…

125. ccoolahan14 says: Jan 8, 2011 2:28 PM

@mborz Show me a case in recent memory of a player dying or of a player potentially missing a game because a close relative died and I’ll show you a story that I didn’t read either because I wasn’t using this site at the time (e.g. Sean Taylor) or because I didn’t need to read past the headline. Seeing as this was the first article of the sort that I’ve read on PFT, I was just surprised at how many low-lifes frequent this site.

126. Deb says: Jan 8, 2011 2:38 PM

backuppunter says:
    ———————————————–
    True.

@ccoolahan14 …

It’s a tragedy, not a contest. You don’t react to tragedies by slandering players on rival teams. PFT has not reported that Harrison is a horrible person off the field or that he “beats” his child’s mother. That was an incident involving a single slap–inexcusable, but not a beating–and to the best of everyone’s knowledge he has worked to ensure it wouldn’t be repeated. Yes, he smiles. And you have no idea what Ed has done in his life. Everyone has screwed up at one time or another.

Both Harrison and Reed came from difficult circumstances and have tried to use their athletic talent to build a better life. But they can’t erase their upbringings and it’s not always possible for them to “fix” the world for everyone around them. The idiots commenting here who’ve never experienced the hard side of life could not possibly understand that. They think they’re superior just because fate dealt them a better hand. Don’t let them get to you. If you’re a spiritual person, just remember we’ll all be judged according to the compassion we show others. And keep that in mind the next time you’re tempted to rip on the problems of a player who doesn’t play for the Ravens.

127. mborz says: Jan 8, 2011 2:48 PM

@ccoolahan14: Fair enough. It’s not just this site, it’s pretty much any internet message board.

A lot of people use the anonymity of the internet to act in ways they never would in real life.

128. steelers6pack says: Jan 8, 2011 3:55 PM

fish food!

129. Dirty D Fo says: Jan 8, 2011 7:34 PM

:*(

130. footballplayersmom says: Jan 9, 2011 2:02 PM

Some of you may think that he is a bad person or a scumbag as some of you replied but lets face it.. none of us are perfect and yet we are all god’s children. Living as a brother to Ed couldn’t be easy and trying to follow in the limelight. I for one respect the Reed family and I have faith that God will give them the courage and strength to get through this difficult time. Some of the comments on here amaze me that some of God’s children can be so heartless and judgemental. I am aware of the story but if he was a brother to some of you, would you not to try to have faith that his lifestyle wouldn’t lead to his death. I am praying for his safety and that he is found alive and well. The only thing to do is pray for Ed and Karen and understand that they may be reading this so please be respectful to a very christian family and try to forget what you have read about him and remember that regardless of our mistakes, we are still god’s children and our father is the only one who should question us about our sins and mistakes. I will be praying in the meantime. God Bless Reed family!!

131. icewalker946 says: Jan 9, 2011 3:20 PM

gallyhatch says:
    Jan 8, 2011 9:49 AM
    obamain2012 says:
    Jan 7, 2011 9:45 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I second that! It got past a lot of people because they don’t keep up with the news.

132. skinsball says: Jan 10, 2011 6:58 AM

I was really disturbed at some of these comments until i read this:

rectumnearlykilledem says: Jan 7, 2011 10:48 PM

Rex Ryan was heard to ask, “Did they find his feet?! Did they find his feet?!”

…and then I almost died laughing

133. steelerdynasty2010 says: Jan 10, 2011 8:11 AM

wtf is wrong with you people posting negative comments about Ed’s brother?
    he is NOT in the NFL and shouldnt be fair game. PERIOD. this is just sickening

134. bunkmcnulty says: Jan 10, 2011 11:16 AM

Thank you to two Steeler fans for not defending the negative comments on this situation (Deb and SteelerDynasty).

By the way, it’s not playing a morals card to say it is wrong to jump in here with negative comments. It’s called having respect, common sense and having class! Comparing a man’s life to a video game is just wrong. I suppose the Tuscon killings should be compared to the countless video games that involve shooting.

All of you saying his comments are great are just as bad. Classless!

135. steelerfan9598 says: Jan 10, 2011 8:27 PM

ccoolahan14 says: Jan 7, 2011 10:46 PM
    ” attention-hogging egomaniac (e.g. Roethlisberger- the guy who IS an actual threat to society- he’s raped 3 women- and routinely MAKES UP INJURIES just to get attention). ”

That fake broken nose was cool as hell.

If Ben is a rapist, Ray Ray is a murderer. Can’t have it both ways.

136. bak2530 says: Jan 11, 2011 10:11 PM

I dont know where you got your info but here http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/6308/Bengals-lead-the-NFL-with-31-arrests-since-2000/Default.aspx It states that the Steelers are 14th in the league with 16 arrests and the Ravens are tied for 15th in the league with 15 so maybe you shouldnt just throw numbers out there hoping no one would look

137. kimcon22000 says: Jan 12, 2011 1:08 PM

Too bad for the Reed family – RIP ………….