Rams fire 44-year veteran equipment manager Todd Hewitt

We usually skip the comings and goings of equipment managers at this time of year, but we usually don’t come across stories about teams firing equipment managers who have been with the team for 44 years, as the St. Louis Rams have done.

Todd Hewitt, who started working for the Rams as an 11-year-old assistant to his father in 1967, has been let go by the team.

The Rams confirmed Hewitt’s departure in a brief announcement that also said assistant strength coach Chuck Faucette has been let go.

We have decided not to retain Todd Hewitt and Chuck Faucette going forward in 2011,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said in a statement. “We appreciate their efforts in the past and wish them well in the future.”

Hewitt has declined to comment and the team has given no reason for his termination.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Bernie Miklasz had a great take on Hewitt’s termination today.

“I’m sorry to learn that the Rams have fired their longtime equipment manager Todd Hewitt,” Miklasz writes. “There doesn’t seem to be any justification for this. I also know that 99 percent of the team’s fans don’t care about who is in charge of the equipment. But the Hewitt family had a strong, proud and loyal tradition of serving the franchise. Todd had been with the Rams for more than 40 years. His father, the late and beloved Don Hewitt, was the team’s equipment manager from 1967 through 1994. I don’t understand why such a good man and a loyal employee has to be treated so shabbily.”

Permalink 77 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams
77 Responses to “Rams fire 44-year veteran equipment manager Todd Hewitt”
  1. radrntn says: Jan 7, 2011 2:08 PM

did they outsource the poition to India or China?

2. tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says: Jan 7, 2011 2:09 PM

It’s about time they got rid of Hewitt. He’s been holding them back for years. Super Bowl, here we come!

3. kc4life7 says: Jan 7, 2011 2:10 PM

I played for Faucette in college at SMU. I hope he gets another job as well. He’s a good guy.

4. chapnastier says: Jan 7, 2011 2:14 PM

Will they interview a minority before naming his replacement?

5. nesuperfan says: Jan 7, 2011 2:16 PM

There might be a lot more to this story. He may have done something like open his mouth (think Oakland punter), or got caught doing something he should not have.

6. sdboltaction says: Jan 7, 2011 2:16 PM

Bastards.

7. ghostofgilchrist says: Jan 7, 2011 2:17 PM

He’d still have his job if he used that stuff that Dahani Jones sprays on jockstraps.

8. actiondanwi says: Jan 7, 2011 2:17 PM

Clearly, he was caught whacking it.

There must’ve been a copy of Glamour laying around.

9. phinfan says: Jan 7, 2011 2:18 PM

Now, I understand why they lost the Division.

Nice going Todd!!!

10. newagerocker says: Jan 7, 2011 2:19 PM

Well the Rams should be feeling really good about themselves right now.

11. PFTiswhatitis says: Jan 7, 2011 2:21 PM

bad karma, Rams.

Someone obviously wanted to give the job to a family member or close friend. Lousy fricken move by the Rams.

12. jcjets says: Jan 7, 2011 2:23 PM

equipment manager can’t be a full time job, can it? Can you really raise a family of 6 working as an equipment manager?

13. hobartbaker says: Jan 7, 2011 2:25 PM

Todd is going to return to school. He’ll be entering 6th grade in the fall.

14. snowpea84 says: Jan 7, 2011 2:25 PM

Wow. Just let it lie. If there really is justification you’re only going to make the guys life worse by digging into it or bny encouraging others to dig into it.

15. calanco says: Jan 7, 2011 2:27 PM

It’s pretty messed up to just up and fire a guy that’s been with the organization that long.

16. mvp43 says: Jan 7, 2011 2:28 PM

Either there’s more to the story that would justify his firing or, the Rams are gravy sucking pigs.

17. theytukrjobs says: Jan 7, 2011 2:29 PM

Maybe he wasn’t doing very good at his job?

18. 4sacroc says: Jan 7, 2011 2:31 PM

More liberal media tripe … fitting for our newfound entitlement culture.

Rather than acknowledge the Rams have EMPLOYED this dude for 44 years and SUPPORTED his wife and kids …they spin it their way … making a 44-year employee a VICTIM.

The 60s generation can’t die soon enough.

19. cmich2006 says: Jan 7, 2011 2:33 PM

Did he pee in the shower…it’s all pipes

20. cbusbrownie says: Jan 7, 2011 2:33 PM

I hope my company gives me 44 years before letting me go. Come on, must a slow news day for the NFL, GEEZ!

21. tombradyswig says: Jan 7, 2011 2:34 PM

He must have not handled his balls very well…..

22. yashraba says: Jan 7, 2011 2:34 PM

I’d say he probably did something to warrant being fired, and they are not saying anything out of respecet to his years of service to the organization. Otherwise, he would have said something about being canned

23. hrmlss says: Jan 7, 2011 2:35 PM

He had a text from Brett on his phone.

24. footballrulz says: Jan 7, 2011 2:36 PM

Can’t wait for the first game next year–when they show up and have no jock straps or helmets

25. righthereisay says: Jan 7, 2011 2:36 PM

Maybe he was bad at his job? Maybe he had a bad attitude? Geez, people get fired all the time. Not a big deal. I’m sure if he was great at what he did and added value they would keep him.

26. petemurray4356 says: Jan 7, 2011 2:37 PM

Spags is a good guy, and before we judge, let’s see why this guy was fired. Did anyone ever think that maybe there could be a legitimate reason why the guy was let go?

27. tubal22 says: Jan 7, 2011 2:38 PM

You accumulate a lot of raises over 44 years. I’m guessing they’d rather pay a 20 year old $10/hr.

28. salmen76 says: Jan 7, 2011 2:39 PM

What little remaining smidgin of respect i had for the Rams is now gone. What a bunch of no-account sum-bichs. If i was him i’d write a book now and throw everybody i had any smut on right under both sets of the bus wheels. They lost to the scrub hawks and took it out on the friggin equipment manager. Crazy. What a world!

29. jesusjustletmeregister says: Jan 7, 2011 2:39 PM

There has to be more to the story.

30. benh999 says: Jan 7, 2011 2:43 PM

Come on. He might’ve stealing or who knows what, and they are helping him by keeping their mouthes shut.

31. shakenblake1 says: Jan 7, 2011 2:47 PM

#
    ghostofgilchrist says: Jan 7, 2011 2:17 PM

_______________

bwaahahahaha. greatness

32. tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says: Jan 7, 2011 2:48 PM

I heard he and the cleaning lady had sexual intercourse on the desk in his office. In his defense, no one told him when he was hired that that sort of thing was frowned upon.

33. macdbeliever says: Jan 7, 2011 2:49 PM

@chapnastier

LOL! That was absolutely GOLDEN! Well played sir. Well played.

34. shawnc16 says: Jan 7, 2011 2:53 PM

someone had to pay for them missing the playoffs

35. domeunit says: Jan 7, 2011 2:54 PM

that’s classy, fire a guy who’s been working for 44 years instead of offering him retirement. What a bunch of scumbags

36. phileyoung says: Jan 7, 2011 2:57 PM

maybe he was leaking out info…

37. geezohman says: Jan 7, 2011 2:58 PM

PFT states:
    “Here’s hoping that Hewitt, who is married with four children, lands on his feet.
    =========================

is that a clue PFT… .his FEET?

=======================

two guess:
    1. caught doing something

2. yeah.. they have a ‘relative’ they want to give the job to…

3. he forgot to pack the ‘good skills’ bag when they played seattle

38. geezohman says: Jan 7, 2011 2:58 PM

oppps… 3

and …. he must have…

something HAS to be behind it !

39. wetpaperbag2 says: Jan 7, 2011 2:59 PM

For the team to make an announcement about “firing” an equipment manager means something nefarious HAD TO have gone on. It’s almost as if the team is distancing themselves from the guy before some really sad/scandalous/embarrassing news hits the public.

40. jbholcom says: Jan 7, 2011 3:04 PM

Have the Rams ever heard of the EEOC? You can’t just fire anyone in those types of positions for no reason. Because of his age, he is in a protected class.

Maybe he has been sending cell phone pictures of his manhood to female employees. lol!

41. mean13 says: Jan 7, 2011 3:07 PM

chapnastier says: Jan 7, 2011 2:14 PM

“Will they interview a minority before naming his replacement?”

“Minority” is merely the PC word that they use to skirt the law. Black man is what they really mean.

42. radrhatr says: Jan 7, 2011 3:16 PM

Steve Spagnuolo Jr. will assume the duties as the new equipment manager.

43. cardiovascularendurance says: Jan 7, 2011 3:20 PM

My lord there are some hilarious comments on this one (topped off by ghostofgilchrist).

44. cubano76 says: Jan 7, 2011 3:25 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOO, awwww those sons of bitches!!!!!

45. hockeyhilite says: Jan 7, 2011 3:26 PM

I bet he auctioned used equipment and jerseys and got high dollar for them…

46. wetpaperbag2 says: Jan 7, 2011 3:29 PM

4sacroc says: Jan 7, 2011 2:31 PM

More liberal media tripe … fitting for our newfound entitlement culture.

The 60s generation can’t die soon enough.
    ——————————————

I hate it when folks make political soapbox stands on stories like this. Obviously, he has been doing his job well. Well enough to be retained for 44 years! But because of your political blinders, you can’t see that there is something more to this story and is certainly NOT a case of entitlement. Stop listening to Glenn Beck!

47. awestcave says: Jan 7, 2011 3:30 PM

yeah.

it was all his fault.

48. jimmy1smith says: Jan 7, 2011 3:31 PM

Why compells the Rams to even announce it in the first place? My company switched janitorial services this year, how is that anybody else’s business?

After 44 years of picking up other people’s dirty laundry, he seems particularily well qualified to be BrINT Favre’s personal assistant.

49. profootballwalk says: Jan 7, 2011 3:34 PM

He’s been working for them since he was eleven? Really? Aren’t there laws against that?

No one ever told me I had a job for life. He got the job through nepotism – I’m supposed to feel sorry for him? Someone else didn’t get that job because his dad was his connection.

50. j0esixpack says: Jan 7, 2011 3:40 PM

The Rams clearly have no tolerance for nepotism.

Next up on the front office agenda? Dealing with a verrry slow HR department.

51. canadianvikingfaniii says: Jan 7, 2011 3:40 PM

Sam Bradford’s sock was 1/4 ” too tight and cut off circulation to his foot. The Rams blamed this on their loss to the Hawks. Letting this man go was the only way they’d make it to the playoffs next year.

52. Deb says: Jan 7, 2011 3:48 PM

@4sacroc ….

Let’s hope when the 60s generation goes it’s in a psychedelic bus that crashes into your SUV. It would be poetic justice if their spirits serenaded yours with “What the World Needs Now is Love” as your bitter soul sinks into the pit.

Hewitt has no reason to be grateful to the Rams for employing him 44 years. It was quid pro quo. He did a job for which he was compensated.

The guy just lost his job. Maybe it was for cause–we don’t know. But do you always take pleasure in kicking people when they’re down?

53. granadafan says: Jan 7, 2011 3:53 PM

He mixed the white clothes with the reds while washing.

54. cosmicduster says: Jan 7, 2011 3:58 PM

he must have put something in somebodys jockstrap.

55. Jackie.... says: Jan 7, 2011 4:01 PM

He told them about his dream of a tunnel is his front yard leading to Sam Bradford’s backyard.

56. Jackie.... says: Jan 7, 2011 4:01 PM

57. dman19 says: Jan 7, 2011 4:03 PM

He’ll be replacing Joe Paterno in the year 2178..

58. red513 says: Jan 7, 2011 4:05 PM

If it had been McDaniels doing the firing, I think the speculation might be warranted (rumor is he traded Hillis because Hillis hit on Josh’s wife), but Spags comes across as a pretty classy guy, so I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. There could be a myriad of valid reasons that they let the guy go.

59. ernieernie says: Jan 7, 2011 4:19 PM

I heard the mop that you see on TV got the job.

60. favreflavoredwaffles says: Jan 7, 2011 4:28 PM

tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says:
    Jan 7, 2011 2:48 PM

Nice work, Constanza…..made my day.

61. dan39564 says: Jan 7, 2011 4:46 PM

He needant worry, now he will be eligible for Unemployment, Food Stamps, free Obama care, maybe even Job core retraining and a stimilus package!

62. da11ascowboys says: Jan 7, 2011 4:57 PM

Apparently they didn’t find swapping Steven Jacksons helmet with a Predator mask quite that funny…

63. richm2256 says: Jan 7, 2011 5:04 PM

theytukrjobs says:
    Jan 7, 2011 2:29 PM
    Maybe he wasn’t doing very good at his job?
    ————————————————-
    Yeah, there was talk of a noticable drop off in production around year 38.

There may have been good cause for this that they are trying to shield his name of, or they may just be ungrateful bastards with no soul for a 44 year employee. We’ll never know.

It was a good gig while it lasted and he’s not likely going to see another job like this at this point in his life, but a good many of us have gotten the axe the past few years and no one ever promised any of us a job for life. It IS a little surprising that they even made this announcement though

64. bodybaggame says: Jan 7, 2011 5:16 PM

It’s a cost cutting move….You don’t need an equipment manager when there will be no training camp and

65. bodybaggame says: Jan 7, 2011 5:16 PM

no games next season

66. flyingelvislogosucksbringbackpatpatriot says: Jan 7, 2011 5:31 PM

I lost my job a year ago and they didn’t announce it in the trade magazines. Boy, I was pissed but I got over it.

67. polishkingski says: Jan 7, 2011 5:36 PM

the rams found out he was selling bradfords jocks at a local gay bar for a hundred bucks a pop…..one fifty if scented.

68. geezohman says: Jan 7, 2011 6:13 PM

“Assistant strength coach Chuck Faucette was also let go.”
    =============================

he had no comment….

bring in Detective Columbo…

====================

meanwhile Ray Lewis is being questioned in the missing, disappearance of Ed Reed’s brother in Louisanna

69. voyager6 says: Jan 7, 2011 7:50 PM

15 or more years ago, the Cincinnati Reds fired their long time groundskeeper just days before he was eligible for a team retirement.

11+44=55

I wonder if the Rams have a 55 and some years retirement policy?

70. ramswingman says: Jan 7, 2011 8:21 PM

I’ve known Todd Hewitt since the Rams came to St. Louis. I’m just a regular guy that has loved the Rams since childhood. I am called Ramswingman because I bring hot wings to the players after a win. Todd is all about the players and the Rams. Believe me the firing was not about his performance in his job or about his relationship to the players. I’m sure the players are very upset as I am. After 44 years on a job the only way you are fired is 1. about money or 2. you want to put a realtive in the job. Georgia is turning in her grave right now!!! And all you people who make fun of this your just sick!! Remember all that the Hewitts took the Rams to THREE superbowls. I’ll miss Todd as will manywill. But with his experience and great personality he will be swooped up by a team tomorrow. You go Todd, you were treated badly and you know how it goes God keeps track and paybacks are a Bitc#. I just hope the team doesn’t suffer. Here’s to you buddy!! I don’t need to wish you luck..you are your own luck!!

71. Deb says: Jan 7, 2011 10:14 PM

@ramswingman …

Thank you. Leave it to billionaires to buy a football team and dump a 44-year employee. Unfortunately, that’s the kind of people who buy into teams these days. Georgia was a hoot–wish she was still around. I’m a Steelers fan and thankful the Rooneys were able to keep majority control. Hope you are right that Hewitt finds a good opportunity elsewhere. Good luck to you, too.

72. cidman2001 says: Jan 8, 2011 1:07 AM

hockeyhilite….thank you for saving me the typing. What an A-hole!

ramswingman….as my high school history teacher/football coach would say, “You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.” I was never exactly sure what he meant, but I knew it was praise for a job well done.

While I have to admit, there were some damn funny comments, we really shouldn’t be poking fun at another man’s misfortune regardless of how it came to be. We all have screwed up and we have all been victimized in one way or another in our lives. Just remeber that karma can be a bitch….. That said, I wish Mr. Hewitt and his family the best. Having lost my father this morning, I can relate to having a really bad day……

73. eddyjf says: Jan 8, 2011 7:05 AM

@cidman2001
    Sorry to hear of your loss, please accept my condolences.

74. Deb says: Jan 8, 2011 2:45 PM

@cidman2001 …

My condolences as well. God bless.

75. punnstl says: Jan 8, 2011 9:52 PM

I’m actually a few houses down from him and what evidently happened was that he refused to wash Spagnuola’s underwear and thongs so he fired him and hired some college grad for a few pennies.

76. ram874 says: Jan 13, 2011 8:41 PM

I personally think that no matter what mr. hewitt did he was gone .The head coach doesn’t even have the balls to say why he really wants him out,hewitt was probably loved by most of the organization.I can’t believe the owners allowed the HC to do this . Shame on them . If you truly are Ram fans ,is this really the type of team we want to support.You should put yourself in Mr. hewitts shoes then tell me if you feel the firing was fear . Get rid of this egotistical HC and get someone else.I wood rather lose then support this franchise.

77. countrygirl55 says: Jan 17, 2011 4:31 PM

I grew up with Todd Hewitt and he lived a few blocks from me for many years. I went to high school and college with him and I am very proud to say I knew his late father Don. They are both very great people. Todd was always kind and never pushed the fact that his Dad was the Equipment Manager for the Rams. I cannot believe what the franchise has done to Todd, good guys do always seem to finish last. I have been a loyal fan of the Rams since they were the Los Angeles Rams, and now I am very sad to say I am ashamed of them. Whatever happened to company loyalty? I am sure Todd and his family will survive this mess and who knows maybe he will show up as the Equipment Manager of another pro team, maybe the Titans need you Todd!! Nashville is a lovely city!