Seahawks stun Saints in a classic

These are the games that make us love football.

In an NFL playoff classic, the heavy underdog Seattle Seahawks shocked the defending Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints, 41-36.

The game was one of the biggest playoff upsets of all time, and it had everything you could ask for: Back and forth action, a few moments that made you stare in disbelief, and highlight-reel plays worthy of being immortalized by NFL Films.

One of those highlights was, quite simply, among the greatest runs the game of football has ever seen: Late in the fourth quarter, with the Saints seeming to have all the momentum, Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch scored on a 67-yard run that will be remembered as one of the best plays in NFL history, an absolutely preposterous display of speed and power on which most of the Saints defenders got a hand on Lynch but no one could bring him down.

Lynch’s touchdown made the score 41-30 with just three and a half minutes to play. But anyone who had been watching the previous 56 and a half minutes knew that this game still wasn’t over: Drew Brees would, of course, drive the Saints right down the field for a touchdown that made the score 41-36 after the two-point conversion attempt was stuffed.

Unfortunately for New Orleans, the Saints’ onside kick went right into the hands of Seahawks tight end John Carlson (who had previously scored two touchdowns), and the Seahawks just had to run out the clock.

The 7-9 NFC West champion Sehawks were derided as the worst playoff team in NFL history, but they sure didn’t look like it on this January day in Seattle. They’ll be back next weekend to try to pull off another shocker.

And the Saints’ season is over.

UPDATE: Video evidence right here.

213 responses to “Seahawks stun Saints in a classic

1. .
    like I told u…… only brees didnt throw the pick..although he tried hard too….

bush injured per usual…

not shocking at all. it would be shocking IF the saints won.

2. WHO DAT? WHO DAT? WHO DAT that KICKED THE SAINT’S ASS? 7-9 SEAHAWKS DID!
    Maybe NOW those damn aints fans will SHUT UP!!
    I LOVE IT!!! LOL

3. WHO DAT!!!? aints DAT! no repeat sb. now all those illiterate swampies can go back to their favorite past time of spitting tobacco chew on the floor of their trailers and beating their wives and kids. no more WHO DAT non sense.

4. We can now stop all this talk about weakening the importance of winning your division, period.

5. WHO DAT????!!!!???? HAHAHAHHAAHAHAAHAAHA…..You got smoked by the seachickens!!! My Vikings might not have made it this year but at least we didn’t get owned by the Seachickens!!! TWO DAT!!! Hahahahaahahahahhahaa…..Madden curse??!!??….

6. So where’s all the Saints fans at that were talking about that ass whoopin’ they were going to deliver?

Oh yeah, you’re season is over so your opinion doesnt matter at this point.
    See ya next year.

Seattle Seahawks > Katrina

Thanks for making the Falcons Super Bowl run that much easier.

7. F**k the seachickens. They are such a joke. They didn’t even deserve to be in the playoffs. I hope the next team they play destroys them by 5 or more touchdowns. That whole team is full of washed up journeyman nobodies and former first round busts. They are the biggest joke in the league since Matt Millen. If the Seahawks win the Super Bowl, I will lose all faith in the NFL and commissoner Goodell. I hope the Seahawks never make the playoffs again as long as Pete Carroll is coach.

8. That is a career highlight run, no matter what else Lynch does with his career, that one will stand the test of time.

9. Suck it East Coast!!!! The Hawks are moving on.
    …Buffalo… how ya feel about Marshawn, now?

js

10. @MDS – “The 7-9 NFC West champion Sehawks were derided as the worst playoff team in NFL history, but they sure didn’t look like it on this January day in Seattle. ”

+++++++++++++++

They’ll be 10-9 when they play in the Super bowl

11. Thank you NBC for using Mike Mayock to call the game followed by Chris Collinsworth. Great announcers for both games. Hats off to whomever made that decision.

12. 77 points. was there an equal amount of defensive players on the field? they both proved that neither belonged!

13. All week I heard the national media ripping my team for their 7 – 9 record. The Seahawks shocked the world tonight in a stunner that proves that on any given Sunday any team can win. Who dat out of the playoffs now?

14. @foosballfan

Go watch baseball or basketball then if you don’t want parity. That way you can see the Yankees and Lakers dominating year in and year out.

There was nothing not to like about this game.

15. Wow, what a helluva game! I was definitely pulling for the Seahawks just to shut all the pundits up about being the “worst playoff team ever.” Good for them. That’s what playoff football is all about. Congratulations to the Seahawks. I dislike Bob Costas, but I agree, that’s got to be the biggest playoff upset since Pats-Rams in the Super Bowl.

16. “They’ll be 10-9 when they play in the Super bowl”

17. @bleedgreen71018222558

lol. if the seahawks are the biggest joke since matt millen… then what does that make the saints?

oh yeah, doesnt matter. the saints season is over.

18. Reality Police:

Last week I told you that the Seahawks would come out and beat the Saints. You called me out for it. You implied they didnt deserve to be a playoff team. You said I didnt have the fortitiude to show back up Saturday after the game, well here I am where are you at?

My team is 2-0 in 2011, 1-0 in the playoffs and a division campion. Unless you follow this team people get blinded by stats without knowing the reality. Here are the Seahawks, 1-0. Throw 7-9 out the window. Here is our run game!

19. payton is not that stupid down 7 points with just 9 minutes left and 4th ands 2 from the 3 and a half. what on earth do you need a fg then? youre still down more than a fg and you are going to give the opponent the ball outta the hole at about the 30 yard line meaning as they kill time if you stop them you will get the ball back on your on 15 or so and still need the same touchdown.

even on the 4th an inch at his own 40 earlier payton the supposed gambler wanted to punt but changed his mind but handed off 6 yards deep to the tailback allowing seattle to penetrate when brees has long proven his quarterback sneak ability and t6his was just one lousy inch.

one team came to win!

20. But, Seattle get destroyed next week regardless of who they play. They are a different team away from home.

21. Big fan of Mayock! Im sure the Falcons are loving this. But, they better play like its the SB, if not the Hawks might beat them too.

22. A few thoughts
    First thank god no more BS about how a team helped rebuild a city
    Our tax dollars rebuilt that city

New Orleans is a welfare city

Now as to bleedgreen are you kidding me the egals will be done tomorrow when the pack used vick as a floor mat

23. Please oh please give me a Superbowl XL rematch, so we can lay the Seabuzzards to rest without some stupid ref saying he blew some insignificant calls. Please oh please I want to end the bitching and moaning by Seabuzzard fans. Besides, I think it would be damn funny to see a 7-9 team make it to the playoffs :).

Go Steelers!!!!

24. HAHA!!! No more “TWO DAT?!” No more “WHO DAT?!” Thank God, now all the saints fans can shut up. I absolutely LOVE IT. Thank you Sea-chickens for putting them in they’re place. (Cue all the saints fans complaining it wasn’t fair)

25. @#
    bleedgreen71018222558 says: Jan 8, 2011 8:15 PM

““They’ll be 10-9 when they play in the Super bowl””

“That isn’t possible, since the Eagles will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. The Eagles would destroy the Seahawks if they met in the playoffs.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hilarious. The Pack will destroy the puppy-strangling playoff-choker tomorrow. Take it to the bank.

Seahawks get another home playoff game next week.

26. Congrats to the Seahawks, especially Hasselbeck, who’s always given it his all. The Lynch TD play was great!

27. I feel dizzy after watching it.

T R E M E N D O U S G A M E ! ! ! !

This is why the NFL is the greatest sport league EVER. Lynch’s run was something to inspire every Pop Warner, high school and college kid who wants to play in the NFL. Inspirational.

And here’s what’s even more shocking than the game itself – Seattle DESERVED to win.

Props to Petey!!!!

28. This is a perfect opportunity for PFT to write about this being just another stroke of luck for the Chicago Bears.

29. Hey N’Orlins, feeliny your pain up heah in Vermont..

Brees is a class dude, and it was great seeing your Great City get to feeling good again, which generally you are the best at, in general.

Listen up to the best song ever made, will ya now?

30. To all of you who cry about a 7-9 team making the playoffs, get over it… As for the Seachickens, good game.. I love watching you fall further down the draft board knowing that you have no chance of winning the big one…

31. God bless the Seahawks!! 41-36, 41-36!! The Saints never deserved the Superbowl last year anyways. My Vikings GAVE the game away with 5 turnovers and the Saints had to go into overtime and luckily win the coin toss. Yeah, great overtime rules when the Vikings never had their chance to drive for a tie. The refs allowed full use of cream a Farve. Those 2 Defense players should be ashamed of themselves. This game just proves the Saints are pretenders not Superbowl winners! The Vikes could have beaten the Colts with the team they had last year. Farve would have had 2 weeks to heal his ankle or get shot up with painkillers. You know Farve, nothing would have stopped him. Adrian wouldn’t have fumbled again, he would have locked it up! This win made my year! Good luck to you Seahawks. Great game by Seattle’s WR’s in the first 3 quarters and an incredible run from Lynch. Boy was Seattle a great change of pace for him and hopefully he’ll stay off of PFT’s turd list. Next to go up in flames…the packers then falcons for the trifecta of payback for Vikings losses. Now the never shouldda had dats feel the pain we did last january when we were horrified by the Vikes loss and stared at the ceiling while in our beds wondering what the hell just happened. I have now let that game go and look to a bright Vikes future. Hopefully they’ll win it all soon and not have another 50 years of futility. Steve Young running thru the Vikes swiss cheese defense, give me a break!

32. That was an awesome run by Lynch and maybe one of the best runs in the last 20 years, but I have seen Earl Campbell, Jim Brown, and Walter Payton make runs that dwarf what Lynch did….

33. bleedgreen: So what are we going to do about our inability to defend the right corner position? Just out-score everybody? Andy needs to use our very good running game, but you know that will never happen in this life.

34. Why do youtube links embed onto your site, ProFootball Talker guys?
    I din’t do that, i don’t even know how to do that.

Hope I am not suckin your bandwidth.
    That is what Google is for.

Pick your Slogan:
    Seahawks to The Big Game™

Tastes like chicken.

35. #
    bleedgreen71018222558 says: Jan 8, 2011 8:05 PM

LOL you are mad as HELL

They’re the biggest joke in the league…AND YET THEY STILL BEAT YOU.

Cry more, it’s hilarious.

36. As a Saints fan I can take my lumps. I think that the Onion said it best “New Orleans Saints lose first round bye.” LOL! Notice that you don’t hear me whining about losing like the Queen fans did in last years playoffs. The Saints lost and thats all.

37. The Aint’s lost becuz Mrs. Goodell said “last year was a gift, this year ya gotta earn it” and as a result, wouldn’t let Peter Morelli officiate this game. Hopefully the Katrina sympathy bit is done forever and now a suggestion….the next hurricane to hit the south should be called, “Hurricane Seahwawk”, LMAO

38. For the first time, I have to agree with one of you self- aggrandizing morons.

“One of those highlights was, quite simply, among the greatest runs the game of football has ever seen”

39. @bleedgreen71018222558 …

Good grief, how sour can you get??? No wonder you bleed green–you must have sucked an entire lime orchard dry.

Here’s how it works, honey: You win your division–you make the playoffs. If you don’t like that, then find another sport. And if the Seahawks make the Super Bowl, it will be because they outplayed everyone else.

There’s no whining in football.

40. sickpuppyz says:
    Jan 8, 2011 8:03 PM
    =================================
    That is total bull. How dare you belittle a city? That is such a racist and derogatory comment. You don’t know us so don’t talk about us.

41. So this is what happens when the best the NFC West can muster vs. The ‘Defending Champs’?

The NFC SUX

42. Please let me never read on this site (or any other) that Greg Williams is one of the great defensive coordinators ever. 41 points ? Hell, they couldn’t have stopped a high school team. Pathetic performance all around, but the D was pitiful. R. Bush, as usual, no factor in a game that mattered.

43. bleedgreen71018222558 says:
    Jan 8, 2011 8:15 PM
    “They’ll be 10-9 when they play in the Super bowl”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HAHAHAHAHA Go Packers….!!!

… the Beagles… hahahaha NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

44. I’m a Saints fan and I won’t shut up…they got beat by the obviously better team today. You can’t win the Super Bowl every year. So go ahead and have fun slamming the Saints; last time I looked we have 1 Super Bowl ring. Seahawks/Falcons/Eagles: 0.

The Seahawks deserved to win it on Lynch’s run alone. Congratulations to them.

45. tprt2 says:
    Jan 8, 2011 8:00 PM
    Where are all the cries for playoff reseeding now?

This is exactly why there should be reseeding! Game should’ve been in NO. Oh well though, Seahawks won me some $!

46. Look at all the 6-10 viking morons talking trash. Didn’t you guys lose last week to the 6-10 LIONS? Big talk from the NFL’s doormat.
    Anyway, with a lay down from the Saints defense like that, they deserve to go home.

47. I would like to be a good sport and send congrats to the Seahawks. They played a heck of a game and beat my Saints in all three phases. The Saints played terrible, no excuses no blaming officials, conversation done. I wish the Seahawks well in their next game and I will wait for next year.

48. bobbyhoying says:
    Jan 8, 2011 8:10 PM

************************

Really? I’d hate to be the guy that has to clean all the spittle of his microphone. Sounded like Daffy Duck.

49. smfowler says:
    Jan 8, 2011 8:05 PM

Oh yeah, you’re season is over so your opinion doesnt matter at this point.
    See ya next year.

Seattle Seahawks > Katrina

Thanks for making the Falcons Super Bowl run that much easier.

================================
    Our season may be over but remember this. We lost with major injuries to our team. That is my only excuse. I won’t say “Ah, if only we would have tackled better, we would have beat y’all.” I can’t predict and neither can you. But you and others should be ashamed of yourselves for saying things in relation to Katrina and how our city is. You try going through what we went through. Oh but you didn’t so your opinion also doesn’t matter. So take your Seahawks>Katrina comment and stick it where the sun doesn’t shine.

50. Fun game to watch, this is what makes the NFL great.

BTW Leave the playoff system alone, it’s fine the way it is.

51. What’s with people from Hawaii not knowing where or how many states there are?

1) Louisiana is not on the east coast and
    2) there are not 57 states.

52. How sweet is that after everyone saying us hawk fans better be back on the PFT boards to take our lickin for supporting our team. Well, did you sea dat? Good job hawks!!

53. Hopefully that will end the “NFC Worst” comments, and all this talk about changing the playoff seeding rules. If a team can win its division, it deserves to be in the post season.

54. This is so awesome!!! I’ll bet those cajun eating ain’ts fans aren’t talking trash now. They even tried to be cheap like last year in the playoffs but Haslebeck did it.

55. To all the people that say Seattle didn’t belong in the play-offs and the NFL needs re-seeding:

Suck it.

Leave the seeding the way it is.

56. bigbluefan1 says:
    Jan 8, 2011 8:18 PM
    A few thoughts
    First thank god no more BS about how a team helped rebuild a city
    Our tax dollars rebuilt that city

New Orleans is a welfare city
    ===============================
    Again, another coward talking about a city. Talk about football, not a city’s struggles. Oh, and your tax dollars didn’t do a dang thing if the city don’t accept it. Nope, that is all voluntary hard work put in by the city, and good people outside of the state.

57. …….had the Aints “won” the SB this year I mite have given them some credit but it’s all the more obvious last year was the Katrina payback from Mrs. Goodell and his gift to the Aint’s was a referee named Peter Morelli.

58. I’m not even a Saints fan, read my name, retard. I just think any team with a losing record, especially ones full of washed up players nobody else wanted like 37 year old Lawyer Milloy, league-minimum former Eagles bench fodder Chris Clemmons and Matt Millen bust Mike Williams, should even be allowed into the playoffs. I just hope the Eagles get them, because if they do, they will be at Lincoln Financial Field and it will be an easy playoff win since the Seahawks were 2-6 on the road.

59. Go back to the 9th ward on blow a trumpet you dumb asses. you think you wre so hot last year.
    what a waest of fless

60. Being a Vikings fan I should have been happy by this, and although I do not think the Saints are a superbowl team this year or last year. I honestly dont think the Seahawks should have even been in the playoffs. They are just lucky they are in a crappy division!!!

61. If there was never an underdog would people still be suprised with this kind of result? If the NFL was ran like the BCS, then the Cowboys would automatically qualify for this years SB because it is in their stadium and they generate a LOT of revenue. Days like this are WHY we have playoffs !!!!! May the hottest and best over the next month win, even if it is Seattle.
    Then, come spring, even a Redskin fan like me can have a glimmer of hope. A VERY small glimmer.

62. That was awesome.

I think Lynch pushed Porter into the lingerie football league.

I don’t hate the Saints, but I hate all those bandwagon clowns from last year, my condolences to all the older than 18 months Saints fans.

63. Now if the Atlanta Falcons, Minnesota Vikings, Buffalo Bills, Cincinnati Bengals, Philadelphia Eagles, San Diego Chargers, Tennessee Titans, Carolina Panthers, Seattle Seahawks, and Arizona Cardinals could ONE DAT; I’d be impressed.

64. @larrydavidstern

Why? The Saints didn’t win their division. If they can’t beat a 7-9 team on the road, they don’t deserve to advance in the playoffs.

65. From a Saints fan, congrats Seahawks! Good luck the rest of the playoffs.

btw, I wouldn’t let Hasselbeck get away in the offseason, that guy can still play!

66. thejuddstir says:
    Jan 8, 2011 8:27 PM
    ================================
    I love hearing dumb idiots like you talk bull. But keep it to football. This sport, site, and game is dedicated primarily to football, don’t knock a city if you don’t even know it. And how dare you hope for another natural disaster to hit anywhere. Are you masochist? Do you enjoy seeing others in pain? What if it was your family, your friends, your home, your life getting messed up because of that? I bet you wouldn’t have the grapefruits to talk that way then. But then you, like other cowards, hide behind that computer screen of yours and think your all big talk. Grow some common sense and shut up.

67. @andyprough
    “Seahawks get another home playoff game next week”

And how do you figure they do that? They are STILL a #4 Seed! They don’t get a “bonus seeding upgrade” for the upset win! They don’t move up a seed. They will travel to either Atlanta (if Philly wins) or Chicago (if GB wins).

They should have some kind of “Football IQ Test” on this website. If you don’t pass, you are just too stupid to comment.

68. Any pee-wee coach would tell you that Lynch’s run wouldn’t have been possible if people tackled the way they were taught instead of trying to strip the ball.

69. The Saints were a great story last year. Truly inspiring. Little did we know their team and fans would turn to shatheads once they won. So now we’re all happy to see you go. All that goodwill you had… you pi$$ed it away with ‘who dats’ and disrespect to your opponents. Well… karma. it’s a beeoch… you just lost to the worst team to ever make the playoffs. How’d that feel?

70. Lol. Does not matter how many people think that the Seahawks shouldn’t be there. They are there AND they won their game.

They proved that the playoff system works just fine.

71. I am sick and tired of hearing all these idiot comments about the city of New Orleans. Keep it to football you dung for brains! Common sense says that this site, sport, and game are for football related content. Then again, I could use half a brain to say something about your city and wish you bad luck, but I’m not a coward. I actually talk my talk and can back it up. Unlike the cowards on here.

72. Now if Green Bay beats Philly and then the Falcons next week and Seattle beats the Bears next week, the NFC Championship is back in Seattle!! How awsome would that be?

73. a saints fan here and for all the haters ,, yes we lose but no way it was a ass whipping ,, no excuses hawks wanted the win more ,, you could tell by how they ran and threw the ball,,, saints defence didn’t show up ,,, what happen to the GW game plan,, played back and and let them catch the ball,,,, going for the strip more than tackling geeeeeeeeeeeeeesh ,, well best of luck to the hawks ,,, great game for them ,,,, and all the haters you just haven’t been a winner in awhile get over that LOL

74. Bleedgreen, you have to get past the Packers and that is not happening.

Should the Seahawks get past the Falcons next week, there will be no stopping them from the Super Bowl. The most dangerous thing in the NFL playoffs is a team that suddenly believes in itself, with half the country pulling for it. America loves underdogs.

75. One last thing, bleedgreen, that team of has been-s, never was-s and players no one else wanted just spanked the defending champions. Who everyone agrees deserved to be in the playoffs.

To my logic, defeating the defending champions means you just proved that you belong.

76. Now it is time to see how many jump off the bandwagon.

damn bigger fake fan base that the Miami LeBrons

Never in my life had i see more people jump on a bandwagon than i have the post 2005 Taints “fan base”

Congrats to the Seahawks and their fans There is no finer fan base

77. If you beat the reigning Super Bowl champions, you belong in the playoffs. I can care less about your record when you beat a team in the playoffs.

78. Cancel today’s menu predicted by all the analysts of roasted Seahawk. Instead Seattle served filet O’Saint with a side dish of humility.

Man was I wrong on bitchin’ about the seeding. Well done Seattle.

79. who dat gonna beat them aints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry aints the NFL let you win it last year you should be happy with that.

80. “These are the games that make us love football.”
    ====================================
    These are the games that prove why MLB and the NBA are completely inferior sports.

81. @gcsuk says: Jan 8, 2011 8:57 PM

“And how do you figure they do that? They are STILL a #4 Seed!”

++++++++++++++++++

Chill out Poindexter. So, I was off by a week. I don’t follow the stupid NFC playoff seeding – whoever wins the weaker conference is going to get their heads crushed like an empty beer can by James Harrison and company or Ray Lewis and company anyway

82. THE SEA CHICKENS!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

But seriously, what if Seattle wins the super bowl..
    Haha. Stupid.. Right?

83. kirkandhanh says:
    Jan 8, 2011 9:05 PM
    How is it a shock when the Seahawks were favored to win?
    ======================
    No they weren’t. Seahawks were double digit underdogs in this game, even at home.

84. Tony Dungee and co. did a disrespect to Seattle Seahawks on their final comments for Seattle’s playoff victory. They were speechless, and all they can give credit to is the poor defense that New Orleans had. How about a great game plan well executed, Matt Hasselback having a great game,coach Carroll telling the team what to believe in and the Seahawks fans showing up and believing in their team? Thank you for this great article because that is what you wrote and focused on.

85. #
    bleedgreen71018222558 says: Jan 8, 2011 8:46 PM

Yes, they are totally washed up and suck, yet STILL beat the Saints.

Like I said, cry more.

86. I’m sick of you friggin idiots that think Goodell gave us that SB last year. It was EARNED!!! If that was the case, we would’ve won it back in 06′(the year after Katrina) when we went to the NFC Championship game against the Bears. Some of you idiots are quick to jump on Mike Vick’s jock strap or jump into Romos lap. That’s a fact!!!! No fair weather fan or band wagon jumper. Now when U put up 36 in a game U should win, but our d let us down big time. The better team won on this day who had nothing to lose. Dangerous recipe. Seattle’s SB was probably today, but U never know. For the ones I’m talking about, well U know what U can do.

87. First off, the Seahawks did not deserve to be in the playoffs. I don’t like the division setup. But that being said, you give up 41 to a 7-9 team, you deserve to lose. How does NO spell dynasty? ONE

88. @senjecko3,

Awwww… is somebody talkin’ bout yo city? Who cares?! There seemed to be no limit to the depths you Saints would scrape in you year long (not quite) “celebration” of your… ahem… SuperBowl win. Now you’re bitching because posters are pointing out what a crap hole NO has been, was and continues to be? Your town gets no special dispensation. Take it like a man.

Nice win, Seahawks!

89. @ kirkandhanh

Umm… The Saints were favored to win by 11 points. Why in the world would you think a 7-9 team would be favored over anybody, let alone an 11-5 team?

90. This game was a reminder that it’s never easy to win on the road in the NFL, especially when the road team doesn’t have a running game. Speaking of which, the overhyped Packers (thanks again to Peter King) were 3-5 on the road and have no running game. Perhaps if they’d picked up Marshawn Lynch played, who with A-Rodge at Cal and has the size/speed combination to make big plays, the Packers would be hosting a playoff game. Instead they get to travel to Philly and get their buts kicked. But that’s ok, why make a trade to help your team? As Ted Thompson has shown, he’d rather have a team of draft picks win so he gets all the credit. Looks like one prima donna (Favre) has been replaced with another (Thompson).

91. @kirkandhanh
    “How is it a shock when the Seahawks were favored to win?”

Uh, I don’t know where you are getting your lines from (I mean betting lines, not the ones obviously going up your nose), but the Saints were FAVORED by 11. That means, the Seahawks were not supposed to win (so says Las Vegas wisdom).

I said it before, I’ll say it again. They should give a football IQ test before they let you comment on this site.

92. #
    bleedgreen71018222558 says: Jan 8, 2011 8:05 PM

____________________________________

I am sensing a crybaby New Orleans fan here. You got beat deal with it loser.

93. #
    nflrulz says: Jan 8, 2011 9:03 PM

This game actually made me hate football. The NFC playoffs are ruined now.
    ______________________________________

Sore loser huh?

94. Was there anything more satisfying than watching that arrogant pr*ck Sean Payton with his stupid visor and pursed lips as the Seahawks celebreated? So satifying. Who Dey? They be the team on the losing end of one of the bigger upsets in NFL playoff history. Nice work Sean. Keep it up. Hopefully you’ll take the rest of the clayeaters in New Orleans with you.

95. Great game Hawks. As a Saints fan I’ll say we got smashed. As far as one and done… 3postseason appearances, 2 NFC Championship Games, and 1 World Championship in 5 years, I missed the fluke part. Seems like a good football team. If I am correct that made 3 of the past 12 Champs to make the playoffs.
    Lynch’s run was unreal.

96. First of all I am sick and tired of some people referring to anything about sympathy and hurricane Katrina…… Do you people realize that 1800 of your fellow citizens died from that hurricane ….. Families lost fathers, brother, sisters, mothers….. How dare you take potshots at this area about something so tragic! Keep it football people…. and football only…….

Moving on to football, yes i am a Saints fan, and my hats go off to Seattle….. They wanted it more and they deserve to win….. I make no excuses….. But….. the Saints were a hobbled team with too many injuries going into a hostile environment……. and made it a game to a motivated team at home….. Seattle deserved the win and got it, but I would have like to have seen the Saints at full strength going into Seattle, oh well that’s how the ball bounces….. Bring on next season (if there is one)……

97. @andyprough
    Oh, I didn’t realize you don’t follow the NFC playoffs. I didn’t know that the NFC and AFC had different rules regarding playoff seeding. I guess in the AFC, the 4 Seed gets another home game if they win on Wild Card Weekend.

Excuse my stupidity, Steeler boy.

98. longdrivesaint says: Jan 8, 2011 9:39 PM

“I’m sick of you friggin idiots that think Goodell gave us that SB last year. It was EARNED!!!”

++++++++++++++++++

Hahaha, get used to it. As a 35+ year fan of the Steelers, I can tell you from experience that any success your Saints have will never be considered “earned” by fans of the other loser teams.

You just got to learn to laugh and say “kiss the ring, bitches”.

99. kibawib says:
    Jan 8, 2011 9:58 PM
    =========================
    Right, because one good play outweighs a whole season of chronic under-achievement.

Lynch has done nothing for the Seahawks most of the season. There is absolutely no reason to think he would have done anything more for the Packers either, especially when you consider the Packers aren’t a running team.

If you watched any of the games this season, you’d know it wasn’t a lack of production in the running game that led to 6 losses by a combined 20 points. Time to get over the blind TT hate.

100. The ref’s tried their best to change the game to the Saints favor. They weren’t as blatant as what was done to the Vikings but there were suspect calls. Saints can’t win anything without cheating & non calls and b.s. calls in their favor. The tainted title holders can only win with the refs help. Cheating scum. Glad they lost.

101. I have to admit that Lynch’s run was the 2nd greatest play of the year. Almost as good as a certain all-pro Eagles player’s punt return against the Big Blue Retards

and to worsethings, I said that I am not a Saints fan or even a bandwagon fan. I just think no 7-9 team should be allowed into the playoffs, unless it is the Eagles or whatever team Tim Tebow plays for.

102. And the loss wasn’t even Drew Brees’s fault. He’s far from done. If I were the Saints GM, i would cut any player that touched Lynch on that play.

103. Bwaaahaaahaaahaaha! YES!!! I can not tell you how happy I am to see the Seahawks kick the living $hit out of the Saints. There has never been a more annoying team in the history of professional sports, as the Saints. If I die in the next 5 minutes, I will die the happiest man in the world. And I hate the Seahawks… I am a Steeler fan… Which should tell you how much I hate the cry baby Seahawks… I just hate the Saints THAT much more…

104. bye bye karma is a biotch aints…yeah yeah go ahead and say we didnt make the playoffs and you guys already have a ring….it dont matter right now because you guys were handled by a medicore team and it feels good!!! Who dat? who??? who the sea chickens is who

105. #
    bleedgreen71018222558 says: Jan 8, 2011 10:56 PM

Tough luck, the Seahawks PROVED today that a 7-9 team can compete and WIN in the playoffs.

106. nflrulz says:
    Jan 8, 2011 9:03 PM
    This game actually made me hate football. The NFC playoffs are ruined now.

What a tard you are. You need to recheck your username pal because that was one heck of a great game. Maybe you need to talk to an ex drill sgt therapist. Need a tissue? Pansy.

107. Every time I watch the Seahawks play, Hasselbeck goes off. Unfortunately, this is all setting up for a Bears Super Bowl run. Congrats to the Seahawks, and sorry to the Saints’ safety’s because there is no way to justify retaining Darren Sharper and Roman Harper after they played one of the worst games ever at their respective positions.

108. Saints fan here. Just wanted to congratulate the Seahawks for an outstanding game. Yes, the Saints did have a lot of injuries, but most of them were on offense and the offense played well enough to win. It was the Saints’ defense that totally let the team down. I had to look up the last time the Saints allowed a team to score 40 points. It was all the way back at the beginning of the 2007 season. They picked a heck of a time to lay an egg. But you can’t take anything away from the way Seattle’s offense played. Like they say… any given Sunday (or Saturday). That’s why they play the games. I actually hope Seattle makes it to the Super Bowl. I think it would be hilarious. If they play with the same intensity as they did today, they’ll have a shot.

109. I have to say that most Saints fans posting on football blogs have to be some of the more classiest bunch of fans. They congratulate us when we win and don’t offer up a bunch of excuses for losing. Hats off to you.

For everyone else out there that are hatin on the Hawks for being in the playoffs, here’s a big F-U just for you. Oh, and I hope every one of those football media clowns that had nothing good to say about Seattle choke on this win.

Way to go Seahawks, live to play another day.

110. akasaintsbaby: the Vikings fans knew we sucked. We sucked last year and won in spite of Brad Childress. And you still needed all the luck in the world to beat our sucky team! All you need to do is watch the passion we played with this year. One tape w/ chilly at coach and the other w/ Frazier. You will see MUCH more effort given with Frazier than w/ Childress. That is why we will be back in 2-4 years after Joe Webb matures. I’m not happy in anyone’s loss but I rejoice in the fact that I just won some bragging rights over some people I know.
    Vikings Boat will dock with Lombardi Trophy one day!

111. Congrats Seahawks fans! Your team played great; my beloved Saints couldn’t match them today. Hope your ride continues!

As a side note, I can’t believe the amount of vitriol in these comments…mostly coming from fans of teams who have lost to the Saints either this year or last. We love our team (win or lose, actually), we love our city, we loved the joy of winning the Super Bowl last year, and we celebrated every crazy, exhilarating moment of the year and the wins with each other. But despite tonight’s loss, I can guarantee you that tons of fans will be lining the street by the airport when the Saints land in New Orleans at 2:00 a.m. to cheer them on for all they do on and off the field for our city. I hope all of you get to enjoy that excitement and crazy joy some day. My only point is this – start celebrating and enjoying what your team accomplishes and who your city is and get over the hating of other teams and fans when they have the experience of winning! Peace out.

112. I love the posts, Hawks deserved the win “BUT”, screw your but’s the Hawks had way more injuries than you all year long. We started 10 different line combos this year, by the way a record in NFL history. Matt has been hurt most of the year, along with LB’s and WR’s. Seattle came out and out performed you, and the 12th man showed up huge. You lost, no more but’s.

Katrina jokes are not funny, they are classes. It was a huge tragedy, nothing to joke about.

Lastly bleedgreen, you are an idiot. You take a team that was ruined by a bad GM and rebuild it with washed up and not wanted players and win that is a bonus. Some of these reclaimed players you snub have had a very good year here. Some will continue to be poart of the rebuild others not. Pete Carroll and John Schnieder are turning this team around, get used to it. New staff and the 12th man are on the rise.

113. senjecko3 says: I’m a little pu$$y

Don’t talk about my town that needed to be rebuilt below sea level so another hurricane can destroy it again. So my democrap gov. who didn’t use busses to evacuate people can blame the mess on G.Bush.
    Forgive the rest of us if we are sick of hearing about it?
    How many of you people sent aid to any tornado damaged cities or flooded Iowa towns?
    Real pity for real victims, not people on hear squawking “Whoo Dat”

114. Well at least you had the NBC Commentators on your side !!! I never herd such a un-bios couple of fool’s calling a game before in my life !!!! I really thought they were Drew Bree’s fan club creator’s !! I mean really calling the Seahawk’s the Seahack’s !!!!! come on real professionalism there !!! They should be fired ! And for the stand up Saint’s fans Good luck and maybe get revenge next year !!! And for those who think the Seahawks did not deserve to be there Well maybe next year you will not loose to the Brown’s, Cardinal’s Tampa bay and Atlanta and you can also win your division and host a game !! Also I feel The saint’s do not deserve to be in the playoff’s unless they have home field advantage because they have never won a Road playoff Game !! las thing if you read the record book next year your name will be in there with OUR help !!!!!!!!!!!!!! So enjoy next weekend looking at the Super “Ugly” Dome and I will be watching My Hawk’s play yet another playoff game !!! And as a true Fan if they Win GREAT !! If not We sure had fun knocking out the FORMER super Bowl Champions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who-Dat??? We-Dat !!

115. I don’t think we can find a waaahmbulance big enough to haul away all these bitter Vikings fans who STILL can’t let it go after a year. You got beat. You turned the ball over 5 times. And your QB did what he does. The Saints were better than you. And to feel like today’s game is some kind of redemption for you is very small indeed.

116. ndnut says:

Jan 9, 2011 12:23 AM

Vikings Boat will dock with Lombardi Trophy one day!

——————————–

And the US will win the World Cup…

Katrina Halili – now that’s no joke; check her out on the Intergoogle…

117. This is payback for the Saints laying down in the 4th quarter and not even trying to tie the score against Tampa Bay, when the game had playoff implications. It’s one thing to pull your starters late, or even to play back-ups the whole game, but you don’t get the ball with over 4 minutes to go in the 4th down by ten and just roll over and die.

Also goes to show how important Pierre Thomas is to this team, since Reggie Bush, notwithstanding his huge salary, is useless running between the tackles.

118. The Saints were too banged up at key positions and the fact that the Seabags got to host the game even though they lost 4 more games than the Saints is laughable. This should be the last straw to get the NFL to change the reseeding process. Win your division and you’re in the playoffs, but you don’t deserve to host a game just because you’re in the lamest division in the whole league.

119. randomjim says:
    Jan 9, 2011 12:55 AM
    senjecko3 says: I’m a little pu$$y

Forgive the rest of us if we are sick of hearing about it?
    Real pity for real victims, not people on hear squawking “Whoo Dat”
    ============================
    Ah, another coward. You see, I’m not on here squawking about Who Dat and how the Seahawks shouldn’t have been here. I personally believe that the whoever wins their division should go to the playoffs but not be guaranteed a home game. Now to continue. I can’t personally send any aid because I was too young and not financially stable. I was a real victim. I could tell you personal stories that would piss you off, make you cry, and question your government or leaders’ response to a natural disaster and crisis situation. So don’t tell me about real pity for real victims. I don’t give two cents about your pity or anyone’s pity. I care about you understanding the truth and not assuming anything. I could call you an ignorant, selfish wannabe punk but I won’t. Many don’t know the truth and like to assume things. I cannot comment on flooding in Iowa, I respect other victims and tragedies enough not to insult someone about how you should give pity to the real victims.

120. Karma’s a beyotch Saints. that’s what you get for all those dirty hits on Favre last year, a one year fluke Super Bowl.

121. All you Saints band wagon jumpers who climbed out from under rocks last year to root for them, you can go back under the rocks now. And all you Seahawk band wagon jumpers, welcome from under same rocks….

122. Well, it’s real late and I feel great! What a game. For all the Saint fans… you all have a lot of class!
    Just please note that the bulk of the A**holes on this forum were from Atlanta, Chicago, Philly or Minni… not Seattle. We get no respect from anyone… any we didn’t deserve any this year.

We outplayed you and we won. I haven’t been this happy over the NFL in 4+ years.

For the few of you that think that this is a political event or that the horific events in NO had anything to do with this, move on and get a life!

But one last item… Go Packers!!!! We want the Bears…. you’re the only good team we beat all year – well except for earlier today.

js

js

123. The Saints. What a choke…..I mean, joke! HA! YOU SUCK!! One hit wonder. Enjoy last year’s Super Bowl. You won’t get another one for a very long time:)

And, yes! George Bush DID destroy New Orleans. Remember? “You’re doing a heck of a job, Brownie” Bush doesn’t like black people like most of you right-wing sickos who are partially to blame for what happened in Arizone yesterday because of your garbage.

124. How are Republicans or Democrats responsible for the Arizona tragedy? It was some psycho punk kid who wanted to destroy “The Man” and who read the Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf (the book Hitler wrote). I don’t think any “Right Wing Sickos” are responsible. Blame Marx and Hitler.

125. @kibawib

I’m with you, man. I was just logging on here to say the same thing about Sean Payton.

PFT used to refer to this little creep as “Malcolm in the Middle” because of the way he wore his “boy genius” status on his sleeve.

It’s nice to see a know-it-all like Payton get some comeuppance.

126. andyprough says:
    Jan 8, 2011 10:29 PM
    longdrivesaint says: Jan 8, 2011 9:39 PM

++++++++++++++++++

You just got to learn to laugh and say “kiss the ring, bitches”.

What does a 35+ years Steelers fan have to do with explaining you view? NOTHING. Let’s see you come back on here and take your ribbing like the man that after the Steelers are done too BUM. Incase you forgot the steroid era in the 70’s started with the Steelers. That’s a fact. Check your 35+ years experience BUM.

127. ilovefoolsball says: Jan 9, 2011 3:09 AM

======================================
    My heart bleeds purple piss for you Saints cry babies. Injuries are no excuse.Seattle won their division and deserved the home game. You being one of the biggest mouths from the South foolsball are a joke for saying the Vikings cried last year.Listen to you now! Enjoy your exit like a man Thibedoux..

128. Great football game, the reason we love the NFL.

Now as for all you Crykings, you are pathetic. Crawl back in your holes, you are an embarrassment to the professionals on you team that compete hard, win or lose.

129. Lets see:

1. NO had key injuries.
    2. NO has never won a road playoff game.
    3. NO was playing in a very loud stadium.

Yea, I think I was correct in saying Seattle had a better chance of winning.

130. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… Sharper has got to be the worst tackling safety in all of football, NFL down to peewee’s included. Man is he terrible.

131. @kirkandhahn
    No, you are NOT correct. You said:

“How is it a shock when the Seahawks were favored to win?”

They were not favored. The Saints were favored by 11 points. That means, Las Vegas odds makers assumed the Saints would win by that margin, thereby giving them equal betting on both sides of the line (for the Saints and the Seahawks).

That is what a “favorite” is. I think most football fans know that any team can win on “any given Sunday” (or Saturday). But you were wrong, and you were called on it by multiple fans. Just admit it and move on.

132. I could tell you personal stories that would piss you off, make you cry, and question your government or leaders’ response to a natural disaster and crisis situation. So don’t tell me about real pity for real victims. I don’t give two cents about your pity or anyone’s pity. I care about you understanding the truth and not assuming anything. I could call you an ignorant, selfish wannabe punk but I won’t. Many don’t know the truth and like to assume things.
    ====================================
    Enlighten me. Why are we rebuilding a city that has the majority of it under sea level?
    Are you talking federal government or the local buffoons?

133. This Saints team takes the crown of worst playoff team ever after losing to the worst playoff team. I was getting tired of the Saints being relevant anyway.

134. MDS …

Given the stuff that’s said to me on a regular basis, if these boys can’t handle the stuff I say to them, they should check in their man cards. And so should your moderators.

135. @ Deb,

Is it censorship or what? Some posts appear immediately, some don’t.
    I contacted the new wordpress people, they blamed PFT. I don’t see why PFT would shut down some posts when others seem to go through? I don’t use any vulgarity, and it seems my more conciliatory posts seem to be the ones that disappear.

136. hey bleedgreen71018222558 …
    looks like you are blead out. The Pack pretty much shut you up and the Seahawks are still in the tourney. A lesson to you….never talk too much s*it before your team plays because anything is possible in the playoffs.

137. Boy you win a Super Bowl and everybody starts hating. Saints will be relevant for awhile. No SB hangover at 11 – 6

138. I only have 2 things to say :

Congratulations to the New Orleans Saints and their coaches , players and fans on a great game and a terrific season .

Everyone who has slammed the Seahawks for being in the playoffs – GO F YOURSELVES !!

139. @belicheckyoself

I don’t know if this site works this way, but on some sites you can exclude or hold posts with certain words or phrases in them. For example, vulgarity, words ending in dotcom, the author of the article’s name, and some times even by length. I don’t if censorship is the right phrase though. It feels a little strong considering this is a football blog. So take that for what it’s worth.

140. WHO DAT!!!!!!! The thing u ppl dont get is that we have had die hard faith before we got all the media “love” and last year we forced everyone to give us respect. I knew this was a trap game bc Payton has been predictible all year. Brees throwing 60 times a game = Saints lose. But We’ll be back because next year we are actually allowed to sign free agents…. imagine what we’ll look like with linebackers! I still think we got jipped with having to play away when we win 11 games and seattle wins 7…. i dont see how thats fair in any way at all. All you Viking fans: at least we had a chance, you haven’t had a chance since week one and you were the punchline of the NFL all season long, we still have a SB under our belts. Falcon fans: I wouldn’t talk about “one and done” bc thats whats going to happen to you thus ending ANOTHER empty handed season Falcons = not “has beens” but they are “Never was”. And to the rest of the haters… See you next year… WHO DAT!

141. The funny thing is, depending on which Chicago Bears team decides to show up this weekend, the Seahawks could actually be playing for the NFC Championship.

Speaking for myself, I’d LOVE to see them win the whole damn thing. It’s just been that kind of season. Gotta love the playoffs!

142. Based on the majority of the comments on this website i would guess the average IQ is around 64 and that 75% of the posters are over 40, single and live in mommy’s basement

143. #
    turbodog1027 says: Jan 10, 2011 8:37 PM

_____________________________________

Based on your comment I would guess you fit in both categories.

144. Its so funny to see all the Saints haters…The team has gotten better every year and are still a way better team than the SEA MINUS who everyone knows is going no were in the playoffs, The Saints earned their Superbowl and their record this season, injury’s didn’t help. But whats the Seahawks excuse you guys only put up a TD against the Rams???? Having a losing record and have nothing to look forward to out of a trash franchise for the next 10 seasons….and your QB is Hassleback??? I mean really???? AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

145. WHO DAT!! Haha nice to see this team exposed for the frauds they are. The league gift-wrapped your SB win last year, enjoy it because its the only one you’ll ever get!!

And it was nice to see the REAL Tracy Porter on Lynch’s run. STEAM ROLLED!!! That pick last year was such a fluke…

WHO DAT!! Seattle

146. #
    abr173rd says: Jan 11, 2011 10:39 AM

____________________________________

Did you happen to notice who won the game? What a Maroon!

147. hey worsethings….maroon? really? I think you mean Moron….MORON. As in you and Obsession55 are MORONS

148. #
    turbodog1027 says: Jan 11, 2011 9:05 PM

______________________________________

turdog, although I truly appreciate your concern about the wording in my post, I typed Maroon because that is what I meant to type.

From the Urban Dictionary: Maroon – A term of derision when referring to an interaction with a dopey adversary. “What a Maroon!” “Will ya get a load of this maroon”

If I was responding to you or one of your posts I would have used the word Moron because that would more closely describe you and your posts.

Any questions?

149. Urban Dictionary
    Maroon:
    A term of derision often uttered by Bugs Bunny when referring to an interaction with a dopey adversary. It is a mispronunciation of the word “Moron”

Bugs Bunny????
    Seriously?????
    hahahahaha, go back to watching cartoon network dude.
    That’s pretty embarrassing

150. To the Seahawks and fans: Congrats on the win. I will be pulling for you the rest of the way.

To Vikings fans in this thread: Get lives. Your team went 6-10 this year. Maybe you should worry about that.

To the person who said Tracy Porter’s pick was a fluke, I say: which one? The one off Brett Favre or the one off Peyton Manning? The fact that I have to ask “which one” shows it wasn’t a fluke.

I find it laughable that everyone talks crap about how the Saints were a one-hit wonder and last year was a fluke, when this year we were tied for 2nd best record in the NFC even without our top 2 RBs for the majority of the season. We are legit and will be back next year.