Expect big changes in the Big Easy this offseason

Sean Weatherspoon, Reggie Bush

The Saints’ championship defense crashed with a dramatic thud Saturday in Seattle.

In many respects, it could be the last game together for the Saints’ title team that was mostly brought back in 2010.  The Saints could have up to 28 unrestricted free agents, and they need to re-negotiate with some stars.  With a lot of help from James Varney of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, here are some of the changes to look for from the Saints.

Jeremy Shockey and Reggie Bush: Their names are bigger than their games at this point.  Both players want to return, but have big contract numbers next year.  They are Sean Payton favorites, but Shockey especially would be easy to replace with Jimmy Graham on the roster.

Darren Sharper: Saturday’s loss to the Seahawks could possibly be Sharper’s final NFL game, although he wants to return.  He’s a free agent and there’s a good chance the Saints will move on.  They need another safety to pair with Malcolm Jenkins that can cover because Roman Harper can be exposed and is a free agent.

Backfield: Chris Ivory is a keeper.  Pierre Thomas is usually the team’s best running back, but he’s a free agent.  Julius Jones probably won’t be back.  At one point Saturday, the Saints had four running backs on injured reserve and their top two backs were hurt on the sideline.

Role Players: Here are just some of the valuable Saints role players that are likely to be unrestricted free agents: Wide receiver Lance Moore, tight end David Thomas, tackle Zach Strief, defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove, linebacker Scott Shanle, and tackle Jermon Bushrod.

Coach Sean Payton and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams have complex systems that reward continuity.   They’ll have to choose which roles players are most valuable wisely.

Defensive line: New Orleans had very little pass rush from their front four.  Will Smith had a very disappointing year.

Drew Brees: Oh, by the way: Brees is entering a contract year.  It’s going to be an expensive offseason for Saints owner Tom Benson.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Expect big changes in the Big Easy this offseason”
  1. phinfan says: Jan 10, 2011 12:24 PM

Shoulda kept Fujita.

2. gdeli says: Jan 10, 2011 12:29 PM

It gave me no greater pleasure to the the saints crash and burn. What a great game to watch them miss 8 tackles on lynch. Made my year even if I win the lottery. They didn’t deserve it last year and only won the SB cause my Viking’s choked and the coin toss went to the saints. Even with 5 turnovers the vikings could have won that in OT if they were given a chance. The hell with the saints franchise and they can go back to being forgotten. Those 2 goons that hacked farve should be ashamed of themselves. Yeah, lets hit farve high and low them land our huge ass on him for a cushion. Givve me a break! At least jared allen sacks the QB with some dignity.

3. ilovefoolsball says: Jan 10, 2011 12:30 PM

@ phinfan says: Jan 10, 2011 12:24 PM

Shoulda kept Fujita.
    ——
    so we could have another player on IR like he ended up in Cleveland?

4. joetoronto says: Jan 10, 2011 12:31 PM

Don’t ALL teams have allot of free agents this year?

5. joerevs300 says: Jan 10, 2011 12:34 PM

The playoffs are where you have to have at least a threat of a running game to win. With the Saints missing Pierre Thomas and Chris Ivory, and having a less than full strength Reggie Bush and Julius Jones being ineffective, they simply couldn’t do enough there to win the game.

That being said, their defense was atrocious. There is no planet where Seattle should score 41 points on anyone. Until the Saints fix that, they’ll be chasing Atlanta for the next several years, and could get passed by Tampa Bay too.

6. sfsaintsfan says: Jan 10, 2011 12:37 PM

Jeremy Shockey
    Darren Sharper
    Roman Harper
    Zach Strief
    Anthony Hargrove
    Scott Shanle

I was not surprised the Saints lost to the Seahawks. The Saints had a rash of injuries throughout the season and entered the postseason with a very depleted roster. The Saints need to retool the roster slightly in order to get back to the Super Bowl. They need another Safety (to replace Roman Harper), two linebackers (one through free agency and draft one), another Offensive Tackle, a backup Tight End (Jimmy Graham will start), a speed rush Defensive End and another young Running Back. I would bring Reggie Bush back, but only if he agrees to a pay cut. If not, draft his replacement. That would be about seven players, with four of them being starters (two LB’s, one TE and one OT).

By the way……….Go Seahawks!

7. blahman64 says: Jan 10, 2011 12:38 PM

Get rid of Bush, he’s worthless!

8. Deb says: Jan 10, 2011 12:43 PM

@joetoronto …

Yeah, it does seem we’re seeing a lot of articles about teams with 27 or 28 free agents.

9. buccaboo says: Jan 10, 2011 12:45 PM

There is nody on that pile I would want on my team

10. buccaboo says: Jan 10, 2011 12:45 PM

nobody

11. gbfanforever says: Jan 10, 2011 12:46 PM

gdeli, how can you people claim the saints didn’t earn their win last year? I’m sure that huge ring with a 100 diamonds in it will help ease their pain of losing this year.

12. pdxpanther says: Jan 10, 2011 12:57 PM

@gdeli

_________________________________

I’m sure that the players on New Orleans feel bad for their “High-Low” hits on Favre when they look at their Super Bowl Rings. Saying that they didn’t deserve the Super Bowl because the Vikings choked isn’t their fault, they did to your team what the Vikings did all year up until that game, and was beat the snot out of people.

13. omegaichiban says: Jan 10, 2011 12:59 PM

Roman Harper has been exposed…he needs to sit by Antonio Pierce at someones desk and give us professional insight.

14. dayglo80 says: Jan 10, 2011 1:03 PM

My post seriously was blocked? Give me a break!!! the Aints are back… Terrible everyone was bashing the Seahawks prior to this game and made no reference to the Aints never winning a road playoff game. Have fun back in the toilet bowl every season Aint’s.

15. tilafoo says: Jan 10, 2011 1:07 PM

#
    gdeli says: Jan 10, 2011 12:29 PM

It gives me, a die hard Saints fan for 30 years, great pleasure to see this comment. Thank you for making my day. It’s very entertaining how many excuses you are making for the Vikings in the NFC championship game last year but you said it best, the Viks choked. That was a great game and the Saints beat the Vikings while the Saints were having an off day. And just to prove it wasn’t a fluke, the Saints beat the Viks yet again this season. I could go on but, I won’t. I understand your bitterness…it makes me smile :) see!

I def think the Saints need to get rid of Bush or pay him WAY less.

16. nawlinsraider says: Jan 10, 2011 1:09 PM

Wow gdeli….. I’ve heard of bitter, but don’t blame the Saints for yall’s MAJOR disappointment of a season. Hey, I bet you are still bitter at the Raiders for whippin the Vikes in the Super Bowl!!! Wow, I even wonder if you remember that game…. How many times have the Vikings been bridesmaids? At least the Saints won it on their first try. Don’t worry, they will win one once they are the Los Angeles Vikings. BTW… nice tent you have there in Minnie…. have they finally gotten all the snow out of the Homeless Dome yet?!?!?!

17. joelvis72 says: Jan 10, 2011 1:11 PM

Poor gdeli. :(

18. tilafoo says: Jan 10, 2011 1:13 PM

LOL nawlinsraider!

19. turbodog1027 says: Jan 10, 2011 1:19 PM

gdeli says:
    Jan 10, 2011 12:29 PM
    It gave me no greater pleasure to the the saints crash and burn

You had one night. I enjoyed watching the Viking crash and burn…ALL SEASON LONG!!!!

20. kibawib says: Jan 10, 2011 1:25 PM

To: nawlinsraider:
    The best part of the Seahwaks thrashing of your overrated squad was watching that pri*k Sean Payton try to look arrogant at the end of the game, when it was clear he had just coached the losing team in one of the biggest playoff upsets in NFL history. 28 free agents and a historic collapse in the playoffs? I’ll take my Vikings and their fallen tent over that mess any day of the week. As the Niners used to say, “Same old ‘Aints.”

21. really2011 says: Jan 10, 2011 1:28 PM

gdeli says:
    Jan 10, 2011 12:29 PM

==================================

gdeli, I understand your excitement – I had a similar feeling when we beat you in week 1, your coach proved that his stupidity was no fluke (he’s stupid every year), your front office is not very smart as well offering a draft pick for a guy who you would cut a few weeks later, your QB returned to his turnover prone self (and you thought his 1 year was the rule instead of the exception), you live in a cold weather/snow driven climate but didn’t build a stadium to handle it, your defense regressed, your offense sucked (minus AP who is a beast), you fired the coach, you may lose some key players this offseason (Pat Williams, Ray Edwards, Sidney Rice, etc.) , your secondary played is horribly, and your hated division rivals beat you twice (1 time by 28 in Min) and has a good shot at going to the SB- you get my point…

I am however glad that our loss in the playoffs (not that you got there) made your season – with all of that I would be happy when a team beats the team that we can’t as well.

22. packattack1967 says: Jan 10, 2011 1:31 PM

Sharper. His tackling prowess has rubbed off on his teammates. I would never have him on my defense-ever.

23. turbodog1027 says: Jan 10, 2011 1:33 PM

KYbawib
    keep trying to make the viking relevant.
    4 Super bowl appearances and no rings.
    buffaload and the Los Angeles Vikings…True winners.

it’s so nice being a Super Bowl winner. It’s a nice club to be in

24. cletusvandam says: Jan 10, 2011 1:50 PM

how can anyone be saying keep R Bush? this guy is like an untalented Josh Cribbs.

25. kibawib says: Jan 10, 2011 2:08 PM

It’s so funny to hear the ‘Aints fans talk about championships and winning. Their franchise is synonymous with losing–more so than perhaps any other franchise in pro sports. Need we be reminded that ‘Aints fans invented the practice of wearing bags over their heads in protest of their franchise’s pathetic play? But now, after one season of success, you’d think Payton had built some kind of Patriot-like dynasty. Far from it, as Sunday’s choke job against the lowly Seahawks proved. As for the future, the ‘Aints have 28 free agents, were beaten (at home in December) twice the last two years by the former cellar-dwelling Bucaneers, and couldn’t top Atlanta for the division lead. I’ll take my chances with a Chilly-free Vikings franchise. New Orleans is a modern-day Gomorrha. And the ‘Aints fans a bunch of drunk clayeaters.

26. brasho says: Jan 10, 2011 2:11 PM

As I was watching the Saints get beat up against the Bucs in week 17, I was thinking the whole time, there goes another player..and another… and then thought about how the Bucs were not only beating the Saints on the scoreboard, but quite possibly beating them up too badly to win the following week…

If you want to give credit for the Seahawks winning, give credit to the Bucs for putting a physical smackdown on the Saints the week before.

27. infrno says: Jan 10, 2011 2:13 PM

Bush will only be back if he agrees to a big paycut. It’s likely that he will, since no other team is going to pay him anywhere near the 11+mil he’s currently set to make. I doubt Shockey will be back, but if so it will be under similar circumstances. Thomas is likely gone given that the relationship between him and Payton has soured this season. That said, none of them contributed that much this season, so it isn’t as if losing all 3 is going to suddenly put us back at the bottom of the barrel. As a matter of fact, none of the players listed are irreplaceable. I think we’ll be fine, Payton and Loomis have been pretty good at upgrading at the positions they feel are key.

28. eduncw says: Jan 10, 2011 2:14 PM

Finally, no more “Who Dat” chants.

29. wizahdry says: Jan 10, 2011 2:15 PM

A lot of teams delayed the inevitable last year when the lack of a CBA forced a lot of players to wait an extra year to become UFA’s. Well that year has come and gone now. The Saint’s were the team most effected by that situation.

30. tombstone7 says: Jan 10, 2011 2:22 PM

Saints haters are everywhere, but ALL of them would give their right leg to go party in the Big Easy!…

Saints fans are everywhere as well. We don’t abandon our team because they don’t win regularly like the Pats, Steelers and other AFC Champs….we will support them because they are our TEAM! There are no prima -donnas in TEAM..

All of you experts out there should take anti-hate pills and get ova yourselves!

It’s just football….. BTW…. Go Ducks! (Oregon)

31. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 10, 2011 2:27 PM

LOL gdeli, I’m a Pats fan and don’t care about the Saints, but by definition when one team chokes and the other doesn’t, the one that kept their spines and won deserve to advance.

The coin toss excuse is also ROFL.

Thanks for playing though, sorry no consolation prize.

32. purplehayseuss says: Jan 10, 2011 2:50 PM

Vikings fans should believe that Ziggy is going to think about trading for Brees. Why not give up a first, a third and a name player for Brees? Webb has a mountain of potential, but not ready to really carry the team. Imagine the Minny offense coming back to life instantly with Brees under center. Jackson is likely gone, and a rookie starting QB is ultra-rare, and with Luck back at school, nobody coming out is able to be that QB. Minny had no chance of getting Luck anyway.

And it WAS sweet to see disparaged RB literally gut the Saints’ defense. Talk about being ‘exposed’!

33. tilafoo says: Jan 10, 2011 3:01 PM

@kibawib

That’s a very comical post. Sean Payton has built a great team in New Orleans, better than any to date. The first year he was there, the team went to the NFC Championship for the first time, the next year was a drop off year, the year after that Saints win the Super Bowl, this year the Saints dropped off a little due to injuries more than anything. It’s rare for a team to repeat after winning the Super Bowl the year before. More times than not, Super Bowl winning teams end up doing terrible the next season so all in all I’m not too tore up about the Saints not going all the way. Yes the loss to the Seahawks was hard to take but every team in the NFL got beat by a losing record team this year…yep, even the Pats when they lost to the Browns, it happens. At least our franchise didn’t completely fall apart this year like the Vikings, wow what an embarrassment! You speak of being pathetic?…look no further than the Vikings.

@brasho
    The Bucs played hard the second half of the season and will be a powerhouse team next year I predict. I can’t argue with you, they played damn well against my Saints. Freeman is a beast and fun to watch.

@eduncw
    Trust me friend, you’ll NEVER stop hearing WHO-DAT! See y’all next year!

34. saints25 says: Jan 10, 2011 3:25 PM

Next team going under the media thumb,step right up..an let them remove it off my Saints!!! This is a stupid article,every team in the NFL has to sign or let FA’s go every year.Quit nit picking the Saints an move on.

35. harpoo51 says: Jan 10, 2011 3:27 PM

gdeli,

As a long time Saints fan your comment made me laugh. The Vikings franchise hasn’t been a model for championships since January 1977. Let us not forget the love boat episode or the choke in the 98 playoffs. However, I do hope the Vikings get a new stadium, at their own expense and not yours, so they can continue to remain in Minnesota.

As for last year’s NFC Championship, football is supposed to be a violent game. Your QB got beat up…as does every other quarterback in the league. The funny thing is your franchise sold it’s collective soul for a man who exercised his better judgement to send photos of his unit to someone. Favre hasn’t exercised good judgement for most of his career as evidenced by his career interception rate. You should be upset that team management sold their souls to get Favre there only to watch him fall apart this season and leave a gaping hole at the QB position.

Quit whining about last year. Your team lost. I know it’s a bitter pill to swallow. Are you still upset at the Chiefs, Steelers, Dolphins and Raiders? Or the 98 Falcons? Get over it man…that bitterness will kill you one day. Hope you have a nice offseason and we’ll see you next year!

36. harpoo51 says: Jan 10, 2011 3:33 PM

gdeli,

Oh, and by the way, no Katrina comments if you respond to this….I live in Mississippi. Lost my house, all my possessions but walked away with my life. Didn’t get government assistance and didn’t ask for it. I pray to God that the good people of Minnesota never have to experience what we’ve gone through down here. It wasn’t fun and I don’t hope that any readers out there have to go through it ever.

Congratulations to the Seahawks for a good game. Good luck next week! Your team showed heart Saturday…and heart is a good thing to have.

Wishing all of our commenters here a Happy New Year!

37. berniemadoffsides says: Jan 10, 2011 4:20 PM

Bush is absolutely gone. He’s as average of a back as there is in this league. He should be a slot WR, not a RB. He can’t even run the ball, which, you know, RB’s need to be able to do fairly well.

38. jebdamone says: Jan 10, 2011 4:21 PM

ahhh…after the terribly disappointing season that my vikings had i can at least find some solace in the fact that the football world seems to be righting itself and the saints are headed back to where they belong…the gutter.

39. jebdamone says: Jan 10, 2011 4:27 PM

harpoo. you being a saints fan i appreciate most of your comments since they actually make sense. your above statement about the vikings not being a model franchise is a bit off though. in fact, the vikings are one of the most successful franchises in the league since there inception fifty years ago. in terms of wins and playoff appearances i think only the cowboys best us. the fact that we have never one a super bowl does not mean we are not a successful franchise, only one team can win it! just the fact that we have been to four SB and numerous NFC championship games i think is also pretty good evidence that the vikings are a good franchise.

40. steelersmichele says: Jan 10, 2011 4:46 PM

This is exactly why I love football–no team really dominates year after year. The Saints had their run (I cheered for them) and now they move out of the way for a new champion.

As for the Vikings losing the coin toss–that did not lead to their loss last year to the Saints. It had to do with their defense not stepping up in OT.

Seriously, why should it be up to the league to “give” the Vikings the ball in OT? Maybe the defense should have done their job and stopped Brees to “give” their offense a chance to win it.

41. harpoo51 says: Jan 10, 2011 4:51 PM

Jebdamone,

Maybe I expressed myself wrong. Yes the Vikings are a successful franchise, except when it comes to producing championships. It irks me that gdeli is so damned bitter. He’s probably the kind of fan with that big blue vein sticking out of his forehead. I pray that the Vikings don’t kill him. It’s only a game after all. As for me, I’m more upset with the Saints for losing the way they did than I am for the Seahawks winning the game. Gdeli should have been more upset with Favre’s boneheaded interception than with the Saints doing what every other defense in the league would have done had the been in that situation last year. All Favre had to do was run the ball and get it set up for a FG attempt. But no he has to play hero. That would be what was sticking in my craw a year later. Good talking with you though. I respect your opinion and hope to see your posts in the future. Happy New Year!

42. tilafoo says: Jan 10, 2011 4:54 PM

jebdamone how do you come to the conclusion that the Saints are headed to the gutter? Wow..really? If you look at the Saints organization, we are actually pretty well set for the future. Payton knows exactly what he’s doing. He knows who he has to replace and what to do moving forward. So really the only team I can see occupying the gutter ironically is your Vikings. Sad to see that too because like you said, for many years the Viks have done pretty well only to fall so far even below the worst of the worst. Never in history has a team suck so low as the 2010 Vikings, sad to say :(

43. kibawib says: Jan 10, 2011 5:03 PM

‘Aaints: established in 1967, didn’t make the playoffs until 20 years later. All-time record is 290-391-5, 5-7 in playoff games, never won a playoff game on the road, made the playoffs 8 times and won their division 4 times in 43 years. Nice SB win last year but it’s quite a bit of a stretch to act like you’ve been supporting a team with a long tradition of winning, like the Steelers, or the Patriots of recent memory. Let us not forget that ‘Aints fans were one of/the first fans to wear bags over their heads in shame. As for the Vikings, we won an NFL championship in 1969 (yes I am aware that was pre-merger), have an all-time record of 411-334-9, with 18 division championships and 26 playoff appearances. Oh and we’re 20-9 all-time head-to-head versus the ‘Aints. Yes, I’ll take the Vikings tradition, roofless dome, and embarassing 2010 seaon over the ‘Aints proven track record of losing. Sorry if that’s too many statistics for the knuckle-draggers in the Big Greasy but them’s the facts.

44. harpoo51 says: Jan 10, 2011 5:51 PM

Kibawib,

Yes the Saints have lost a lot of games. I hate that you are such a bitter loser but I do hope you don’t let your bitterness eat you alive. Good luck on your quarterback situation next year and good luck on getting a new stadium. The Vikings haven’t been the same since they got a roof. I feel terribly that the Vikings fan base got sucked in by the Favre “mystique.” I hope it doesn’t leave the franchise down for too long.

Oh and when I say loser I don’t mean you personally. You seem to be a knowledgable fan. Knowledgable but bitter. Let it go already. See you next year….let’s both hope for no lockout. Agreed?

45. mikemcsaint says: Jan 10, 2011 6:14 PM

@kibawib, unlike in Minnesota most other teams measure their success in one way, by Superbowls. As Bill Parcells once said,”Any season that doesn’t end in a Superbowl win is a failure”. I’ll remind you no team has lost more Superbowls than your Vikings, yes the Bills are tied with you. We are 1-0 but we failed this year.

And by the way, call us knuckle draggers all you want, Minnesota has more alcoholics per capita and more welfare recipients per capita. As you said, “them’s the facts.”, look it up.

46. drewbreesus says: Jan 10, 2011 6:30 PM

haha, you bitter Vikings fans are pathetic. The Saints didn’t deserve to win the Superbowl? They only won because the Vikings didn’t play well in the NFC championship game? I thought that the winner of a football game is the team that played better that day… am I right? The Vikings lost fair and square, stop trying to come up with excuses for losing the NFC championship game, because that’s what happened; YOU LOST. There’s no excuse for that, stop being so bitter and accept the fact that the team that played better that day won the game.

Oh and as for saying that the fact that the same team that won the Super Bowl lost to the Seahawks in the playoffs means that the Saints should have never won the Super Bowl in the first place… at least we made the playoffs this year. How did your year go, Vikings fans? Oh that’s right, you had mostly the same team returning as well, yet you went 6-10 and came in dead last in your division, behind the Detroit Lions.

Some Vikings fans are so hypocritical.

47. oakalley says: Jan 10, 2011 8:44 PM

@kibawib nothing better to do with his life than troll the Saints articles on PFT. Pathetic. Go to the Vikings messageboard and cry there.

48. aceace28 says: Jan 14, 2011 7:50 PM

kibawib says:
    Jan 10, 2011 5:03 PM

Aceace28 says:

COULDN’T HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER.HEY AINTS FANS——GO BACK TO THE “TRADITION OF WINNING”….WHATEVER THAT MEANS…..THE ONLY TRADITION YOU GUYS HAD WAS LOSING, BROWN BAGS, VIOLENCE, AND BARF PUDDLES ALL THROUGHOUT THAT ARMPIT CALLED NEW ORLEANS. SERIOUS WAKE-UP CALL TO YPOUR FRANCHISE—-YOU WERE HANDED IT—TAKE IT—-NO BACK TO ANOTHER 40 YEARS OF ABSOLUTE IRRELEVANCE.

HEY….NICE SHOWING AGAINST A PATHETIC SEAHAWK TEAM…..WHAT AN EMBARRASSMENT!!!!!!!!!

49. aceace28 says: Jan 14, 2011 7:53 PM

WHO DAT??????

40 YEARS OF UPCOMING IRRELEVANCE DAT WHO!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

bhahahahahahahah…..saints lose!!!!!!!!!!!

50. aceace28 says: Jan 14, 2011 7:58 PM

packattack1967 says:
    Jan 10, 2011 1:31 PM

ACEACE28 SAYS:

tOO LATE FOR THAT PACK……DUDE…..HE WAS ON YOUR D FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS PRIOR TO THE VIKES……mAN……DO WE NEED TO TELL YOU PACK FANS EVERYTHING???!!! nOW, IT’S YOUR TIME TO GET TROUNCED BY THE FALCON…..A DISTORTED OVER-LOVE OF THE PACKERS BY THE MEDIA—–THE PLAYERS DON’T BUY IT…..FALCON WILL WIN BY 2 TDS…..BOOK IT……