Joe Flacco thinks he’s “pretty darn good” (and he’s right)

Image (2) J.%20flacco3-thumb-250x185-16045.jpg for post 79002

In a Thursday appearance on ProFootballTalk Live, Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco fielded a question from the Internet-hack-turned-radio-show-not-yet-on-radio host regarding the fact that we don’t hear Flacco’s name when folks recite the names of the young franchise quarterbacks in the NFL.

Does it bother him?

“Every now and then, I guesss it can get to you a little bit, if you let it,” Flacco said.  “But the bottom line is I have confidence in my abilities, and I’m pretty sure where I stand about what kind of player I am.”

Flacco was careful to point out that he doesn’t want to knock any of the other quarterbacks, but he was willing to acknowledge

“If you look at our schedule the last three years, we’ve had to play one of the toughest schedules in the league, if not the toughest.  So, believe me, I know where I stand with myself, I think I know where my teammates stand with me. . . .   I’m pretty confident in my abilities, I think I’m pretty darn good.”

He’s right.  And he’s got a chance to persuade a lot more people of that fact on Saturday, when his 4-2 career playoff record (all on the road) clashes with his 2-5 career record against the Steelers — 0-5 in games played by Ben Roethlisberger.

Permalink 79 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
79 Responses to “Joe Flacco thinks he’s “pretty darn good” (and he’s right)”
  1. ty46 says: Jan 13, 2011 1:47 PM

Not many players have a nickname, he already has one, Joe “3 and out” Flacco.

2. CKL says: Jan 13, 2011 1:48 PM

Joe-
    You should have filed those thoughts under: “Things I think in my head but don’t actually say.”

All players should have confidence and think they can do the job. There’s nothing wrong with his thinking and believing that. But part of being a QB and spokesman for a team is not sounding like a douche, which he did.

3. The James Harrison Foundation says: Jan 13, 2011 1:49 PM

Polamalu OWNS Flacco. Until he can at least begin to figure him out I refuse to acknowledge that Flacco is “pretty darn good”

4. rgwhodey says: Jan 13, 2011 1:50 PM

Overrated not only by the Media but also by himself.. how cute..

5. geezohman says: Jan 13, 2011 1:51 PM

just a little too early my friend…

because just like FOX advertisements:

Its all about the ring… ASK Peyton how good he thinks he is…

I feel so bad for Marino.. a ‘pretty darn good’ QB

6. myspaceyourface says: Jan 13, 2011 1:54 PM

Joe Flacco is Kyle Boller 2.0

7. packerrube13 says: Jan 13, 2011 1:57 PM

Let others boast for you kid… Now you just sound conceited a bit. Stay humble and work hard, and the proper attention and credit will be given to you.

Mark Sanchez, Tavaris Jackson, and Derek Anderson think they are “pretty darn good” as well.

8. zaggs says: Jan 13, 2011 1:57 PM

So some QB’s are only good in the playoffs because of the defenses on their team. Yet Flacco is somehow good despite finally having a good game in the playoffs this year? I mean in 2008 he completed 44% of his passes and had 3 INT’s to 1 touchdown. 2009 53% completion percentage with 3 INT’s and no touchdowns. So it seems Flacco’s playoff record has more to do with his team then him.

9. steelernation1 says: Jan 13, 2011 1:58 PM

but he cant win the big games when they need to be won.that makes him just a half decent QB.

10. tombradyswig says: Jan 13, 2011 2:00 PM

Not looking good Joe.

I personally hope you kill the squealers, the 2nd most trendiest team in the league….. but it’s not looking likely buddy!

11. 4dabears says: Jan 13, 2011 2:02 PM

Those who believe they are good do not need to say so themselves. Others will do that for them.

12. brentfarve says: Jan 13, 2011 2:03 PM

He is average with a good defense backing him..

13. hevsharpe1 says: Jan 13, 2011 2:04 PM

Darn right he’s good. In the last 14 weeks of the season, he was the number 2 rated QB in football behind only Brady

14. nfl4ever says: Jan 13, 2011 2:06 PM

He is “Pretty Darn Good”, but nowhere near the Brady, Manning Brees, level.

I’d put in the second tier with Big Ben, Rodgers, Rivers, Ryan & Vick. (in that order) with Josh Freeman closing in fast.

15. chc36 says: Jan 13, 2011 2:20 PM

Joe is pretty darn good, and he has the right to say so. In 3 years he’s done more than a lot of QB’s, accomplished a hell of a lot more than Matt Ryan. Matt “Never Won A Playoff Game” Ryan has had a better offense that Flacco for 3 years and still has only put up slightly worse numbers than Flacco. Joke abbout his unibrow, but he’s got talent, and a lot more of it than most Qb’s

16. Omar Comin says: Jan 13, 2011 2:31 PM

No sh*t he’s not at the Brady, Manning, Brees level, he’s in his 3rd season. He’s 4-2 in the playoffs ON THE ROAD. You think he’s just sleeping out there and walking ass backwards into playoff victories? Bunch of Buck Nasty’s and Silky Johnson’s on this site. Geeze.

Also…

@myspaceyourface says: Jan 13, 2011 1:54 PM

Joe Flacco is Kyle Boller 2.0

****
    Seriously go kill yourself.. that is the most ignorant comment in the history of this site.

17. shaggytoodle says: Jan 13, 2011 2:36 PM

Most QBs would be pretty darn good, with one of the best defenses in the last decade, a pro bowl running back with one of the better WRs and TEs in the league.

Just remember Trent Dilfer was pretty darn good too for the Ravens, and that was good enough for the superbowl.

18. pghguyy says: Jan 13, 2011 2:37 PM

i have some buddys that are ravens fans and they dont call him joe succo for reason. He falls apart in the big games still. a win in pittsburgh on saturday may change that. ( i doubt he will win on the road in pittsburgh again this year.)

19. benh999 says: Jan 13, 2011 2:38 PM

I can think of 12 that are better than him (in semi-particular order): Brady, P. Manning, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisber, Rodgers, Ryan, Cutler, Schaub, Romo, E. Manning, and Vick. I am half-tempted to say Bradford is better too. Stafford would be if he were able to play more than half the games in a season.

I also have to wonder how well Flacco would do on a team that didn’t have the OL/protection, run game, and defense of the Ravens.

He is likable though — seems like he takes his job seriously, works hard, and doesn’t come off like an a-hole.

20. bravin4evr says: Jan 13, 2011 2:41 PM

Yeah, he’s pretty darn good…..but has to become more consistently good. He can get the Jay Cutler syndrome…..int’s, overthrows, where/who the hell was he throwing that too, stop holding the damn ball sooo long!

21. fancyleague says: Jan 13, 2011 2:47 PM

>> Joe Flacco is Kyle Boller 2.0

That is just mean. Kyle Boller doesn’t even call his kids Boller.

22. somesome says: Jan 13, 2011 2:48 PM

@The James Harrison Foundation says:
    Jan 13, 2011 1:49 PM
    _______________________________
    I am not going into Flacco stats again, whatever people want to think they think. He is pretty darn good, there are no 10 QBs that are better and that alone is refreshing for Baltimore.

but you sir are just a bandwagon fan and know nothing about Steelers-Ravens. As much as I respect Troy and as much as I would love to have him on the Ravens, the Ravens OWN Troy. The games against the Ravens are his least succesful and productive games. Yeah, he got a sack on Flacco and caused the game winning fumble. Aside of this one play he has not been a factor against the Ravens in the last 6 games.

23. domeunit says: Jan 13, 2011 2:49 PM

I can’t wait to come back Saturday night and see what excuses Steeler fans have after this one….GO RAVENS

24. bengalguy says: Jan 13, 2011 2:50 PM

He’s Carson Palmer with a good defense!

25. holyinconsistent says: Jan 13, 2011 2:51 PM

What? Win something!
    Flacco is lucky if he is in the top 12 QB’s in the league. I can’t even picture this guy without the black tights and tip-toeing around. Win something before you declare how good you think you are.

26. citizenstrange says: Jan 13, 2011 2:55 PM

I guess Flacco’s OK but he’s no Stuart Smalley.

27. johanneskrauser2 says: Jan 13, 2011 2:55 PM

Since he’s a Raven I don’t like him, but I wish Pitt had kept him instead of Palko.

28. kc4life7 says: Jan 13, 2011 2:57 PM

__________________________________

Eli Manning, really? If he hadn’t won a superbowl his ass would have been outta NY a long time ago. Rodgers is better than everyone that list besides Brady and Manning, but he will get there eventually.

29. ugabugkiller says: Jan 13, 2011 2:57 PM

Where do you live chc36? Because it’s not in REALITY.

I know Foolio likes to pimp Joe Fluke-O, like he ignored every award Ryan’s been awarded, including his NFC Offensive Player of the Months this year but pimped Fluke-O’s meaningless “Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Year Award” (which isn’t even a thing anymore), but EVERY person who knows even the slightest bit about the NFL has said that Matt Ryan is heads and tails a better QB than Fluke-O.

Peter King was at the Ravens-Falcons Game, and he said he went into the game thinking that Fluke-O and Ryan were roughly of the same talent level, but left the game KNOWING just how much better Ryan is as a QB than Fluke-O. He said it wasn’t even close how much better Matty Ice is. How Ryan commands the game, stands in the pocket, doesn’t get happy feet, is more accurate, and how Ryan’s teammates respond to him all stood out in plain sight to King.

Again, we know that on this site, Foolio loves Fluke-O and only has begrudging respect for Ryan.

But if you put Matt Ryan on the Ravens, then I guarantee the Ravens have one or maybe two Super Bowl wins the last 3 years.

Facts are facts. The Ravens have won all their playoff games with Fluke-O DESPITE the presence of Fluke-O.

He’s HORRIBLE when the chips are down.

Fluke-O has a better running back (Rice over Turner) who can do it all (run, catch, block). Fluke-O has a better receiving corps (Mason & Boldin over White & Jenkins). Fluke-O has a better offensive line.

Ryan has the unfortunate lot to play for a head coach and offensive coordinator who coach in the mold of Marty Play Not To Lose Schottenheimer, and as such, they handcuff him to an outmoded offense when he has proven time and time again when the chips are down that he is a QB who can carry a football team.

NO ONE who knows anything about football would take Joe Fluke-O over Matt Ryan.

Foolio would. But again, that’s not saying much.

30. bunkmcnulty says: Jan 13, 2011 2:58 PM

In the 1st Steelers game this year, wasn’t there first string defense on the field? Yet Joe got the Ravens the winning score.

And wasn’t the Steelers record 3-1 without Ben? The same winning % as the rest of the year with Ben? Just a thought that maybe the defense wins games that you all give Big Ben credit for.

Joe has a long way to go and may never be as good as Ben or others. But when asked this question, what did you think he’d say? He is far from inept.

Make no mistake, The Steelers and Ben are good but blind faith in your team without objectivity is just stupid. So many commentors here fit that bill perfectly.

31. mzigg35 says: Jan 13, 2011 3:01 PM

Yeah… He is pretty darn good. Not yet in elite class but posted better passer rating than both mannings, Ryan, cutler, brees, schaub, etc and he wins. Underrated young QB that gets it done

32. domeunit says: Jan 13, 2011 3:04 PM

Joe is in the top 10 stats of a QB where it counts, and he wins much more than he loses…and he does really well on the road in the playoffs. But yeah he’s a total scrub….some of you people don’t even watch football apparently

33. bunkmcnulty says: Jan 13, 2011 3:05 PM

please replace my “there” with “their.

@myspace

You sure know your football. You can take “Madden” off of pause now and continue to hone your Football acumen.

34. somesome says: Jan 13, 2011 3:06 PM

@nfl4ever says:
    Jan 13, 2011 2:06 PM
    He is “Pretty Darn Good”, but nowhere near the Brady, Manning Brees, level.
    ——————————————-
    Of course he isn’t, he is in his third year. But he is better for the first three years than any one of these QBs first three years.

As for Ryan, I like him, his stats are almost identical to Flacco’s. He maybe more personable to people because he shows more emotions. But before he can be put ahead of Flacco he has to win ANY playoff game. As for Cutler, Schaub, Romo, E. Manning as listed above … you are an idiot, seriously. Flacco has never been blown out. he may not have the highs or show the command as the elite QBs do ( obviously very few do) but he also has never completely imploded.

35. larrydavidstern says: Jan 13, 2011 3:12 PM

Flacco is good, but he just doesn’t have that it factor, nor the leadership qualities to ever lead a team to a Superbowl victory. Sorry Ravens fans.

36. cliverush says: Jan 13, 2011 3:21 PM

There are quite a few teams in the league who would take Joe Flacco in the blink of an eye. Raven fans should be happy to have him. He is tough and smart. There are only a few elite QB’s in the league right now as is usually the case. Winning games is what counts.

1st. tier- Brady, Manning, Rothleisburger and Brees

2nd tier- Rivers, Ryan, Rogers, Vick and Flacco

then the rest… Cutler, Orton, Manning(light) Schaub, Sanchez

37. ajc33635 says: Jan 13, 2011 3:21 PM

His 18.2 quarterback rating in the AFCCG against the Steelers was less then impressive.

He has potential but is not real quick or real bright.

Typical Raven, mouth bigger then resume.

38. hobartbaker says: Jan 13, 2011 3:29 PM

Joe is also gee willikers lucky and blooming huge.

39. kc4life7 says: Jan 13, 2011 3:34 PM

When the Ravens came to town last week and beat us (yes I know we got killed, we are a young team) I got a good opportunity to watch Flacco.

He always made accurate throws when he needed to. I can’t tell you how many times our defense held them to third and longs, and how many he converted to Heap with great passes.

He definitely doesn’t get the credit he deserves. Do I like he’s elite, I don’t know, but he’s certainly a good quarterback with a lot of upside.

40. wellmaybeujustsuck says: Jan 13, 2011 3:40 PM

I love how everyone says Joe doesn’t matter and isn’t good because of his team.

Ummm the 49ers are a good team without a QB and what did they do this year?

41. sgraham628 says: Jan 13, 2011 3:43 PM

somesome says:

______________________

Are you for real dude? Forget about the Pick 6 to seal the deal and send the Steelers to the Super Bowl? And isnt that what key players do, make big plays when they are needed?

42. baltimoresnativeson says: Jan 13, 2011 3:46 PM

Put opinions aside and go back and look at his stats for this past year. They are pretty darn good.
    And if all it takes is a good D and running game why didnt the Ravens go to the playoffs with Boller?
    Oh Im sorry, I just used common sense.
    My bad for letting facts get in the way of your blind ignorance.

43. baltimoresnativeson says: Jan 13, 2011 3:51 PM

“Polamalu OWNS Flacco. Until he can at least begin to figure him out I refuse to acknowledge that Flacco is pretty darn good”

Really?

Joe Burned the Steelers D for a last minute game winning drive in Pitt. And it only took 40 seconds. There go those pesky facts again, rearing there ugly head.

44. MinnesnowtaJagsFan says: Jan 13, 2011 3:53 PM

He’s not overrated by the media…he’s a white QB. They only do that to QBs of a different persuasion.

45. bunkmcnulty says: Jan 13, 2011 3:56 PM

@ugabug…
    I did not read fully, yes someone did say he was better than Ryan. My mistake and apologies.

That said, you could be a little more objective.

46. wallacejay says: Jan 13, 2011 4:00 PM

He can be, but he needs more consistency. He seems to “space out” sometimes which is when he starts making mistakes. I call him him flake-o because he also seems to be a bit flaky and boring. I can’t say that I’ve ever seen him show any real emotion one way or the other.

47. psuravens19 says: Jan 13, 2011 4:02 PM

Love how people try to compare all QBs to the Elite, which we know who they are. Of course Flacco isn’t elite, but is without a doubt in the top 10.

I’m not shocked that most of the negative posts are from Steelers fans on here… lets look back at Big Ben’s stats early in his career including playoffs. To think he carried that team to the SB is just drinking the black/gold koolaid. What did he have… oh that’s right a good running game, stellar defense and good WR’s. Sound familiar?

and @ larrydavidstern – how do you know he doesn’t have the IT factor or leadership quality. Do you watch all their games, sit in on their practices, have access to their lockerroom?

48. holeinone09 says: Jan 13, 2011 4:04 PM

Are you kidding me? When is the last time you heard a top/upper tier QB (maybe other than Vick) say anything like he was pretty darn good? If you are pretty darn good, you don’t need to say it or say anything along those lines. Your performance speaks for itself. When asked that question, he could have said something like:

-I am just a part of the team.
    -I just go out and try to help the team.
    -I have to work on improving my game all the time.
    -I make mistakes that I have to learn from, I can do better.

You get my drift? By him saying “I am pretty darn good”, he sounds like he was trying to convince himself. Sorry, just being honest. I can’t remember the last time Ben ever said he was pretty darn good. If anything, he is his own biggest critic. And Ben is much better overall right now than Flacco, IMHO and based on stats, performance, wins, etc.

GO STEELERS!!

49. flake131 says: Jan 13, 2011 4:08 PM

Did SOMEONE forget the pick six that Troy had against the Ravens in the AFC Title Game that sealed it.

Just a tiny oversight…

50. benh999 says: Jan 13, 2011 4:13 PM

@kc4life7,
    Fine 11 QBs better than him and an extra two who could surpass him in a few years. Not that I dislike Flacco at all — he conducts himself very well, but that does not make him a good QB.

E. Manning definitely channels his inner Peyton at times (chokes), but I have a hard time saying I would take Flacco over him.

51. steelersmichele says: Jan 13, 2011 4:14 PM

Bunkmcnulty, Yes, Joe did march down the field for a TD. It won the game. No one is disputing that. But wasn’t your first string defense on the field when Ben got the winning touchdown in December? Same thing. What’s your point?

Yeah, our defense helps our offense just like your defense has won games for you? But let’s not discredit Ben for his game winning drive in the SB or his ability to shrug off defenders. Go over to ESPN Insider and read the article where they compare Ben to Brady. Oh, and Ben finished the season with a 97% passing rating—5th in the league (Joe was 7th). He must not be that bad.

I’ll put blind faith in Ben any day to drive down the field for the winning score. I’ll also put blind faith in my defense to stop the other team from scoring. You want objectivity with your team? Then look at the stats: Flacco doesn’t win against Ben. Does that mean you are going to skip the game on Saturday because “objectivity” shows that your team is going to lose? I doubt it.

Joe is a good QB. I will give him props for that. He’s played well in the playoffs on the road. That 4-2 stat doesn’t lie. But you know what else? As good as he is, he isn’t that good when playing against Ben because those stats don’t lie either. 0 wins and 5 losses. Doesn’t matter the score because a win is all that matters.

The point everyone is trying to make is when asked whether or not he thought he was good, he should have given credit to his offensive line and receivers. He should have thanked his coordinator. All QBs think they are good—they should. But they should never say it our loud. Ben always gives credit to someone else. So does Brady and P. Manning. Heck, after the game against you guys, the press asked Polamalu about that great play. He gave all the credit to Dick LeBeau.

52. meso0rnery says: Jan 13, 2011 4:16 PM

#
    somesome says: Jan 13, 2011 2:48 PM

———————————————————————
    Did you happen to watch the 2008 AFCCG? You know, the one where Troy had a pick 6 to send the Steelers to Super Bowl 43…

53. sdchargers25 says: Jan 13, 2011 4:18 PM

LOL good one Flacco!! that was funny :)

54. steelersmichele says: Jan 13, 2011 4:20 PM

somesome says: The Ravens OWN Troy. The games against the Ravens are his least succesful and productive games.

My my. Someone is forgetting the AFC championship game where Troy intercepted Flacco for the winning TD or the December 5th game where Troy stripped the ball from Flacco’s hand that gave way to the winning TD. So maybe you mistyped and meant to say his most successful and productive games.

55. hobartbaker says: Jan 13, 2011 4:20 PM

Flacco approachs his job in working class fashion, disdaining flair, style, and charisma. Earning him the nickname “Baltimore Housing Projects Joe”.

56. geezohman says: Jan 13, 2011 4:26 PM

to kc4life7:

that was a funny post. Watch what Heap said after the game: KC keep giving us the middle and we kept taking it. So.. maybe credit goes to Joe for passing and Heap catching, but KC defense didn’t react like (hoping) Pitt will !

Keep in mind… the total points for Pitt and Balt after all these YEARs is ….. THE SAME !!!!

in the average… they are ‘even’ teams. BUT it is why the play the game…

may the BEST team win… I’ll take Stillers, 2 weeks rest…. at home, Ben rested, Pola rested…

stay classy

57. buckfigben says: Jan 13, 2011 4:29 PM

He looks like Sam the Eagle from the Muppets. And I think I read somewhere that looking like a Muppet can have a negative impact on all career goals.

58. righthereisay says: Jan 13, 2011 4:38 PM

59. allanpwalrus says: Jan 13, 2011 4:47 PM

LOL- Seriously the comments on here sometimes are just so frustratingly off base that I can do nothing but feel for the people who make them. There is NO doubt that Joe Flacco is good. NONE. Joe Flacco is not Marino or Montana or Brees or Manning. He is Joe Flacco. He is one win away from being the all-time (that’s right I said all-time) leader in playoff road victories at the QB position. He was second in the entire NFL (ahead of Manning, Brees, and Rodgers) in passer rating after week 2. (I believe he finished 7th- 9th in the league in that category) I admit his playoff resume has been lacking up until the KC game, but let’s not forget that 2008 was his rookie year and he was banged up in 2009. His game is not perfect, but it continues to get better and better.

60. allanpwalrus says: Jan 13, 2011 4:49 PM

righthereisay says:
    Jan 13, 2011 4:38 PM

————————————————–
    Ask any player in the league what the only important stat is in the NFL…WINS

Go play fantasy for the rest.

61. meso0rnery says: Jan 13, 2011 4:51 PM

psuravens19 says:

——————————————————————–
    OK, here’s Ben’s playoff stats from 2005 vs the Bengals, Colts, and Broncos…

combined stats

49/72 680 yards passing 7 tds vs 1 int.

I think he definitely did more than just “manage” the game, while riding the coat tails of the defense and running game…

62. baltimoresnativeson says: Jan 13, 2011 4:51 PM

A lot of QB’s can throw the ball around haphazardly for stats. Orton, Schaub ect.
    But can you perform the few times your called upon in crunch time? Joe does a lot of the time. Thats the true measure of a QB

63. baltimoresnativeson says: Jan 13, 2011 4:54 PM

“Unfortunately the elite Football media didn’t look at his stats over the 4-2. Other than the Chiefs game, he wasn’t very good.

But the elite Football media continues to look at a record and judge from that, instead of who they played, how they lost, etc.”

The win is what matters my friend.

The year Manning won it all he was horrible the entire playoff run. But he did well in crunch time. And got a ring as a result. The few crucial passes you need to make, the good QB’s make them.

64. Andy Snakovsky says: Jan 13, 2011 4:56 PM

I cant believe the backlash because he said hes a darn good QB. Look at his numbers, look at his performance, he wasnt comparing himself to any other QB cant the guy be confident in his own skills and proud of what he has done in three seasons. He still has a long way to go but i dont see anything wrong with him saying he thinks hes a good QB. And for those idiots who are comparing him the Boller, Im a Ravens fan and i thank god everyday that Klye Boller is no longer wearing the Purple and Black.

65. kc4life7 says: Jan 13, 2011 4:58 PM

to kc4life7:

in the average… they are ‘even’ teams. BUT it is why the play the game…

stay classy

__________________________________

Yeah, it was pretty frustrating to watch. We pretty much took Ray out of the game for the first half (as much as we could) but those slants and posts to the middle were killing us.

I’m not sure if you are speaking to me directly about the Steelers – Ravens game but I know the Chiefs D is nowhere near the Steelers D right now. I think the game should be a great one this weekend.

66. burntorangehorn says: Jan 13, 2011 5:08 PM

This isn’t backlash, because I said this even before he said how good he thinks he is: Joe Flacco is a mediocre quarterback who makes bonehead mistakes all the time. He has no real touch. He puts more balls on the ground than wakeup call at a nursing home. At his best, he’s a busdriver with an arm.

67. dmretrogames says: Jan 13, 2011 5:30 PM

Joe is pretty darn good, but he still struggles under pressure. The Steelers will be bringing lots of that on Sunday.

68. Andy Snakovsky says: Jan 13, 2011 5:32 PM

@burntorangehorn He has had a comp pct of over 60 percent every season of his career. He still has a lot of work to do like i said but to say he isnt a good QB is just plain stupid. Again not saying he is great but he def deserves more credit than you are giving him.

69. joerevs300 says: Jan 13, 2011 5:42 PM

Wasn’t this supposed to be the year that offense wasn’t going to be the problem in Baltimore? That Flacco, finally, had some weapons around him?

Baltimore
    22nd in total offense
    20th in passing
    14th in rushing
    16th in points per game

Now, look at the Steelers, MINUS Ben for 4 games:
    Pittsburgh
    14th in total offense
    14th in passing
    11th in rushing
    12th in points per game

Yes Flacco was 7th in QB rating but he took 40 sacks too. And, much like Tony Romo, has a penchant for making a really, really stupid mistake when the stakes are the highest.

And there’s that little 0-5 against Ben and the Steelers you might want to throw in there too.

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco have a similar issue going into this weekend. Either one or the other will shake this off once and for all, or it’s going to be more of the same old.

Joe Flacco is a NICE QB. But NICE doesn’t win you Super Bowls. Beating a “lucky to be in the playoffs” KC team is one thing. Beating the 6 time Super Bowl champs on the road when you’re 0-5 against their starting QB and they are fully rested and 100% healthy minus Aaron Smith is a completely different story.

70. righthereisay says: Jan 13, 2011 5:43 PM

baltimoresnativeson says:
    Jan 13, 2011 4:54 PM

The win is what matters my friend.

Dude, he sucked in the playoff games. He didn’t help win them. That is what we are talking about. If you would like to talk about wins, Ben Roethlisberger is your guy. 6-0 verses Ravens, right?

Also, your team is frickin’ stacked. Tom Brady would be 19-0 with your team. Flacco just isn’t that great, sorry you haven’t seen this yet.

71. joerevs300 says: Jan 13, 2011 5:44 PM

Oh, and I’m sure that will be followed by the “Steeler fans are going to scatter if the Ravens win on Saturday” comment. I’m not one of them.

You’re far more likely to see the Ravens fans go back into the caves they came out from because this might be their last chance to ever get to the Super Bowl again.

72. 52ravens says: Jan 13, 2011 6:32 PM

Earlier in the year, Joe claimed to be “elite”. I’d say this assessment is closer to the truth, although I certainly believe he has the potential to become an elite QB.
    It always surprises me to hear other Baltimore fans attacking this guy so vociferously. Do they not remember the rogues gallery of worthless QBs we’ve had in the past (Scott Mitchell, Stoney Case, Elvis Grbac, Tony Banks, Kyle Boller etc)? The only real player at the position was McNair but he was finished by the time he came to us. This kid is already better than any and all of them. He wasn’t even expected to play when he was drafted.
    I hope he takes the next step against the Steelers this Saturday. (As for you guys, you won one SB in spite of Big Ben’s play, not because of it. But he continued to develop into a championship caliber QB and we expect the same development from Flacco. Our rivalry ought to only get better.)

73. geezohman says: Jan 13, 2011 6:45 PM

finish this sentence:

if the Chiefs sacked Flacco 4 times,

then the Stillers will sack him ____________

74. steelernation1 says: Jan 13, 2011 6:54 PM

everyone talks brees up?what exactly has he done?he hasnt and cant win big games

75. vincent1204 says: Jan 13, 2011 7:18 PM

Joe Flacco is the most overrated piece of garbage. Most of his passes are to Ray Rice or just a screen pass yet he has one of the most talented receiving cores in the league. On his best day he is still a liability to a strong team. If you think otherwise then you just don’t know football.

76. bunkmcnulty says: Jan 13, 2011 8:01 PM

steelernation1…

Didn’t brees win the superbowl last year? You really posted “what exactly has he done?”

Vincent1204…
    wow, when I grow up I hope to know as much about football as you. That’s the same thing all the experts say.

Ladies and gentlemen, examples 1 and 2 of the intelligence of Steeler fans worldwide.

By the way Vince, they are receiving corps!

77. pghguyy says: Jan 13, 2011 10:52 PM

@52ravens he may not have played well in the 05 sb. but his playoff run to get there wasnt anything short of great for a second year guy. if we didnt have a quarter back of his caliber that year we would not have won it.

78. myspaceyourface says: Jan 14, 2011 1:46 AM

Flacco isn’t a top 10 QB no matter what partial season stats you use. . .

The reason he has a good playoff ROAD record is because the Ravens aren’t good enough in the regular season to win the division let alone a bye week.

Add to that they are good enough to win wild card rounds and sometime division rounds but nothing more to this point.

79. nickster2k says: Jan 14, 2011 11:38 PM

I’m pretty confident in my abilities, I think I’m pretty darn good.

spoken like someone who is COMPLETELY insecure about his abilities.

Stuart Smalley has nothing on Flacco.