Wes Welker likes his “foot” metaphors

Wes Welker, Carson Butler

Just when you think the chatter between the Patriots and Jets couldn’t get any sillier, Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker stepped to the podium Thursday as if dared to see how many “foot” references he could cram in to a single media session.  Behold:

1.  On this week of preparation: “Everybody’s putting their best foot forward.”

2. On young players in the playoffs:  “You can’t just stick your toe in the water.  You gotta jump right in.”

3. On playing this year as opposed to last year: “It’s definitely different.  You know, you’ve got your foot up in the air trying to get the swelling to go down.  Definitely excited about the opportunity to get out there and have some fun.”

4. On the opportunity this week:  “These are the games you play for.  What you spend all year getting ready for and you just want to put your best foot forward.”

5. On Revis:  “He’s got great feet.”

6. On Revis again: “He’s very patient, has good feet.”

7. On Deion Branch: “He runs some really good routes out there . . . He’s another guy with great feet and can really move around.”

8. On practice: “You want to make sure you’re putting your best foot forward out there and making it happen.”

9. More on practice: “Us going out there and being good little foot soliders and making sure we’re going out there and doing everything coach asks us to do.”

10.  On seeing new things in the playoffs: “You definitely have to be on your toes and make sure you’re ready to go.”

Genius.  Since this is clearly the most important post I’ll ever write at PFT, let’s analyze further.

Welker is deadpan as ever with his delivery, so there’s no way he can really be called out for it.   A few clues indicate that it’s not just a coincidence.   Jackie MacMullan of ESPNBoston.com wrote a great feature on Welker.  Part of it is about what a huge prankster he is.

“Put Wes, Matt [Cassel] and Larry Izzo in a room, and they are ‘The Three Stooges,'” Tom Brady said.

Welker got his first “foot” reference in on his first question and rarely let up in his ten minutes of talking.  He also appears to be stifling a smile and/or laugh after his two most ridiculous references — No. 2 and No. 9.

Maybe it’s all a coincidence, but we really doubt it.  And that would be no fun.    We’ll continue to update you on this vitally important breaking story here at PFT.

UPDATE: Since we’ve posted, Deadspin compiled all the references into a 20 second video.  Nicely done.

Permalink 115 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
115 Responses to “Wes Welker likes his “foot” metaphors”
  1. hobartbaker says: Jan 13, 2011 3:27 PM

Pats don’t want to be caught flat-footed in the trash talk exchanges.

2. gbfanforever says: Jan 13, 2011 3:30 PM

Three stooges? Sounds more like the three douches to me.

3. bertilfox says: Jan 13, 2011 3:32 PM

I was listening to this in the car on 98.5 and it is hilarious. I had to take my foot off the gas and pull over.

4. derek2957 says: Jan 13, 2011 3:32 PM

I’m totally neutral in this game, just enjoying the build up that in all probability will be more entertaining than the game itself. But even though the Jets may talk more, game set match Wes Welker.

5. pfii63 says: Jan 13, 2011 3:33 PM

Troy Brown’s comments on the jets today are spot on. Here is what he said on WEEI:

Brown, who predicts a Patriots-Ravens AFC championship game, speculated that the Jets are desperately trying to build up their confidence after last month’s embarrassing loss. Said Brown: “I think deep down inside they don’t believe that they have what it takes to beat this football team, and they’re coming up with every reason they can come up with right now to make themselves believe they can come in here and win this football game. Really? After you take a loss to this team, 45-3? At a part of the season when you’re supposed to be peaking, and you go out there and you lay an egg. You talked all week about how you wanted to come in here and beat this football team and this was your thing. We’re hearing the same thing from the coach, Rex Ryan, that we heard the last time they played the Patriots. And the same thing from the players. I believe they’re all trying to psyche themselves up.

“And don’t get me wrong. I may seem pro-Patriot here and all this stuff. But I’m giving my honest opinion about what I feel on either side of this thing, Patriots or Jets. I just feel like the Jets are searching for reasons to believe they can win this football game.”

source: http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2011/01/13/troy-brown-on-dh-jets-searching-for-reasons-to-believe-they-can-win/#

6. dallasbaby says: Jan 13, 2011 3:35 PM

Welker has done it now. He shouldn’t be surprised if he finds sexy Rexy waiting for him in the locker room prior to Sunday’s game.

Five bucks says Rex shows up on the sidelines with Welker’s shoe in his mouth and Wes slips while running a route because of all of the saliva(?) between his toes.

7. giablommi says: Jan 13, 2011 3:35 PM

I suppose I should be rolling on the floor laughing (excuse me, ROFLMAO), but truthfully I rather the Pats stay above the fray and focused leading up to Sunday. Save this for the postgame.

8. max says: Jan 13, 2011 3:35 PM

Including the word “toes” on that last number would help sell your point through.

9. j0esixpack says: Jan 13, 2011 3:37 PM

Hilarious.

Now make Coach Punchline put his own foot in his mouth for a change so that we can formally change “soon to be champs” on the ESPN bus to “soon to be chumps”

10. blackglass3 says: Jan 13, 2011 3:40 PM

Now THAT’S how your tweak someone. Well done, Wes. It’s a shame you couldn’t fit in references to fisting, humiliation, or cuckold.

“Hey Wes, what’s your favorite golf course?”
    “Well, I am not sure; usually if I can fill the first 3 holes I feel like I’ve dominated and humiliated it.”

Yeah, see, I’m not as quick as Wes.

11. beg4greg says: Jan 13, 2011 3:44 PM

That’s GENIUS!

I really want to hate the Pats, but man, they know how to play it right.

12. barneyrumble says: Jan 13, 2011 3:45 PM

Rex said this is personal and sounds like Welker is just granting Ryan’s wish and dishing some fet in the form of da foot. Wes is just trying to convey that he understands the sole of the opposition.

13. spoonfedbear says: Jan 13, 2011 3:47 PM

Um, simple jabs at Rex Ryan and his hobby… Hilarious.

Great stuff Wes.

14. lavagirl1 says: Jan 13, 2011 3:48 PM

Gee, I really wish you had the FOOTage of his turn at the podium. Couldn’t resist.

15. gpack22 says: Jan 13, 2011 3:49 PM

Ha ha ha. Love it. Not that I want the Pats to reach another Super Bowl but the last thing I want to see is the NY Mouths moving on.

16. darkblue08 says: Jan 13, 2011 3:50 PM

It took me a few sec to get the Rex Ryan “feet” metaphore. Then I was rolling on the floor :-D

17. nanner12wojo says: Jan 13, 2011 3:54 PM

Now that’s good trashtalk. Clever. Pats are better than the Jets at everything. All Cromartie could do was swear and sound angry and dumb.

18. bosfaninva says: Jan 13, 2011 3:59 PM

The Jets just hired a new team podiatrist — Dr. Scholl.

19. clinttaurus says: Jan 13, 2011 4:00 PM

in response, all Rex had to say was:

“do you mind if I, uh, touch ‘em?
    wow, they’re like, really soft…”

20. Ralphie says: Jan 13, 2011 4:04 PM

Seeing that the Jets are the Pats arch enemies this is fitting.

21. rushmatic says: Jan 13, 2011 4:08 PM

I’ve seen a few Wes Welker press conferences by now. You can TOTALLY tell he’s smiling before he sets up some of the references. I love it.

22. dakotah55 says: Jan 13, 2011 4:11 PM

I wouldn’t touch this story with a ten foot pole.

23. nfl4ever says: Jan 13, 2011 4:14 PM

Well played Wes Welker, well played.

Classy yet cutting, that takes some brains, any buffoon can go out there and swear and taunt.

24. redmanalishi says: Jan 13, 2011 4:14 PM

F reaking hilarious!
    E xactly the kind of thing I’d expect from Welker, good sense of humour.
    E veryone knows it is in good fun though, no harm done.
    T his weekend’s game is shaping up to be a real grudge match, can’t wait!

25. nyjalleffingday says: Jan 13, 2011 4:15 PM

BAHAHAHAH!

First, the Patsie fans complain of trash talking. All good when Welker does it though, right?

That’s besides the point though.

Rex and Co. are trying to get into the heads of the Patriots and it’s working.

26. beerbaron says: Jan 13, 2011 4:23 PM

Nothing like some clever trash talk before facing your arch enemy.

27. squealpig says: Jan 13, 2011 4:24 PM

Who will lay at one’s feet? I hope for Jets fans sake Ryan doesn’t let his fetish get in the way.

28. hokiez says: Jan 13, 2011 4:24 PM

When asked about Cromarte, Welker said “I hope he doesn’t put his foot in his mouth again”

29. trollaikman8 says: Jan 13, 2011 4:28 PM

Linebacker Larry Foote is not amused.

30. deanvernonwormer says: Jan 13, 2011 4:29 PM

Wes, Belicheck laughed so hard he farted.

31. hobartbaker says: Jan 13, 2011 4:30 PM

Ryan had this coming. I mean what does he expect with all the jabs he’s been throwing at the Patriots. Jesus, Rex, use your feet next time.

32. robzar says: Jan 13, 2011 4:31 PM

To quote Dieon Sanders ” I love me some Wes Welker! “

33. robzar says: Jan 13, 2011 4:35 PM

I heard Rexy drove up to Foxboro this morning, he heard they got 2 feet yesterday!!!!!!!!!!

34. TylerD says: Jan 13, 2011 4:36 PM

And of course we get the one delusional Jets fan who thinks Rex Ryan is the real winner in this exchange. :D

35. tiffpats4eva says: Jan 13, 2011 4:37 PM

Pure coincidence.

36. weismobile says: Jan 13, 2011 4:38 PM

Don’t give Wes an inch… he’ll take a foot.

37. MinnesnowtaJagsFan says: Jan 13, 2011 4:39 PM

Oh man this is great. Wes Welker is a genius.

38. hobartbaker says: Jan 13, 2011 4:41 PM

After each Patriot score Tom Brady will point his index toe in the direction of the Jets sideline.

39. nyjalleffingday says: Jan 13, 2011 4:44 PM

@TylerD

Yeah buddy, I’m sure Rex is at home sobbing because Wes sneakily brought up his foot fetish in a press conference.

Back to reality, Rex cares about wins. Anything he can do to disrupt the Patriots will be done, and when Wes goes out of his way to mention feet, he’s obviously got retribution, not football, on his mind. This is a victory, albeit a small one for the Jets.

40. jcjets says: Jan 13, 2011 4:46 PM

Will this give the jets extra motivation to win the game on Sunday? I think so.

41. bstnfan33 says: Jan 13, 2011 4:47 PM

#
    nyjalleffingday says: Jan 13, 2011 4:15 PM

BAHAHAHAH!

That’s besides the point though.

Rex and Co. are trying to get into the heads of the Patriots and it’s working.
    —————-

Do you think they are getting in their heads so much that they will go out there on Sunday with two left feet?

42. someguyiniowa says: Jan 13, 2011 4:48 PM

Hate both teams, but great stuff from Welker.

43. hendeeze says: Jan 13, 2011 4:55 PM

Rex Ryan will taste DE-FEET this weekend!

44. qtraven says: Jan 13, 2011 5:06 PM

Now he’s really stepped in it! Well down Wes Welker!

45. robsterny says: Jan 13, 2011 5:08 PM

To all Pats fans(the real ones)

You guys have an awesome team and as a Jet fan I honestly dont expect to beat you guys this Sunday. However, I have noticed something in alot of the remarks in here….Fear…..Really the only thing preventing you from moving forward right now is the Jets. The one team you loath the most ,but more than that…the team you also FEAR losing to more than any other is in fact..the Jets….Dont worry so much!…you have an awesome team. But remember what they say …”On any given Sunday”

46. cull1224 says: Jan 13, 2011 5:12 PM

This will be like hand-to-hand combat (with the Pats winning) or the 2 teams will be going toe-to-
    toe (with Ryan coming out ahead).

47. crunchyclam says: Jan 13, 2011 5:14 PM

Rex’s gambit seems to be paying off. Can’t believe the Pats are playing right into it.

48. squealpig says: Jan 13, 2011 5:20 PM

He could have used

no one in this locker room likes the taste of defeet.

All of us have to toe the mark.

Revis? He digs in his heels, got athete’s feet.

49. nssmuckers says: Jan 13, 2011 5:26 PM

oh my god. I can now look past Wes Welker’s ridiculous inclusion in the Pro Bowl over Mike Wallace.

He should be MVP for this.

50. grogansheroes says: Jan 13, 2011 5:30 PM

robsterny says:
    Jan 13, 2011 5:08 PM
    To all Pats fans(the real ones)

___________________________
    Yeah, as a Pats fan, I have fear before every playoff game. Anything can happen, like last year against the Ravens. But I guess I am just the nervous type.

51. emmac13 says: Jan 13, 2011 5:35 PM

Rex Ryan needs to do the Subway diet. They have many $5 footlongs to choose from. Rex told Braylon Edwards don;t drink and drive. If he has to use his feet and walk home.

52. nesuperfan says: Jan 13, 2011 5:36 PM

IMO, not really that funny. He would do better to come and read PFT a while, and try again. Much better jokes here.

53. jethro007 says: Jan 13, 2011 5:46 PM

Ticklish!

54. hammertoe11 says: Jan 13, 2011 5:47 PM

I never laughed so hard in my life. Just a “FOOT” away for the first down.
    Rex tells his players time get on your FEET and play “FOOT”ball. Rex tripover his own “FEET”.

I have to admit all the comments i read just now. THEY funny as heck.

55. TylerD says: Jan 13, 2011 5:50 PM

“This is a victory, albeit a small one for the Jets.”

Come on, bro. We all know you’re just toeing the line.

56. canadianvikingfaniii says: Jan 13, 2011 5:52 PM

That is good stuff, I like the fact he doesn’t have his foot in his mouth.

57. pfii63 says: Jan 13, 2011 5:52 PM

robsterny:

I wouldn’t call it fear. I would call it a healthy respect for what the Jets are capable of doing. Any objective review of this game suggests the Patriots will beat the Jets handily… but that’s why they play the game. We know that, and aren’t stupid.

If the Jets win, then they win. That will mean that they designed and executed a superior game plan, and took the Patriots out of their own. And they will have earned their right to talk. I just don’t honestly believe that is going to happen. And I think any rational Jets fan (and you do seem like one) understand the reality of the situation. Now let’s see what happens on Sunday.

It’s nice to see an occasional bit of rationality from a Jets fan… it sure ain’t coming from the coach or team.

grogansheroes: Nice to see you on the site, though you were never exactly Mr. Positivity on the Patriots message board, now were you? :-)

58. wsb937 says: Jan 13, 2011 5:55 PM

Hysterical. Well done ,Wes

59. all4patriots says: Jan 13, 2011 5:56 PM

Nice… rather than calling people a-holes, he used the semi-subtle approach, If Patriots fans hadn’t mentioned it and alerted PFT, Jets fans would likely have been too dense to even notice.

60. jackofnotrades says: Jan 13, 2011 5:56 PM

lame but it’s ok cause a white patriot whose won NOTHING said it so it’s ok

61. august1969 says: Jan 13, 2011 5:57 PM

nyjalleffingday says:
    Jan 13, 2011 4:44 PM
    @TylerD

This was a Jets victory? I thought you said “back to reality”?

62. David Rajakovich says: Jan 13, 2011 6:00 PM

Wes Welker now shares best press conference given by an active athlete with Allen Iverson. I’m a Steelers fan and Welker has now become one of my favorite players.

63. TylerD says: Jan 13, 2011 6:01 PM

Although this does illustrate a difference in style between the two teams. The Jets are crass. The Pats are sardonic and subtle. Pats win.

64. nyjalleffingday says: Jan 13, 2011 6:02 PM

@nesuperfan

Not like the jokes here are often funny, but we get a gem here and there.

65. flash1283 says: Jan 13, 2011 6:08 PM

34-17 Pats.

Sorry Jet fans your team has no chance.

66. crackback86 says: Jan 13, 2011 6:10 PM

Pregame meal: $5 Footlong

67. emperorzero says: Jan 13, 2011 6:11 PM

Clearly something is “a foot” here.

68. nofunleague says: Jan 13, 2011 6:16 PM

Rex is latin for King. Some believe that the original measurement of the English foot was from King Henry I, who had a foot 12 inches long;

69. danallen2 says: Jan 13, 2011 6:21 PM

The Jets are going to get them for this. They are going to send in extra men to fill all the gaps.

70. semperfi24 says: Jan 13, 2011 6:22 PM

Hey Jetsallday, that isnt Rex getting into the heads of the Pats, that is Welker pummeling Rex at his own game, LMFAO….any bonehead can talk trash, and make brash statements…

I dont think it was all that funny, but it was original. Funny how sensitive the Jets and their fans are though.

Week 2, the Jets hammered the Pats, and Edwards got a penalty for taunting, as he danced on top of Butler in the end zone after catching a TD (very nice play by the way), and the taunting was perfectly acceptable, right? Of course it was. But then in week 14 (not sure what week) the Pats crushed the Jets, and the Jets coaches, players, and now fans are all pissing and moaning because Brady pointed at their sideline, REALLY???? Pointing at the opponents sideline is the pinacle of disrespect, but celebrating a TD as you dance on top of a defender laying on the ground (drawing a penalty) is an act displaying the utmost respest for your opponent….? Its all relative, if its all good for you, its all good for everyone else too

71. commandercornpone says: Jan 13, 2011 6:22 PM

quit playing footsie, welker…

rex will start to like you

72. crunchyclam says: Jan 13, 2011 6:23 PM

Exactly nesuperfan. It’s slightly more clever than the normal trash talk but isn’t that funny. Hope the jets don’t respond with numerous mentions of “filming” and “tape” in their next press conference.

73. h0c2000 says: Jan 13, 2011 6:31 PM

It’ll be quite a feat by Rex if the Jets can win.

74. sterilizecromartie says: Jan 13, 2011 6:41 PM

Wes Welker is my new favorite player.

“Good little foot soldiers” made it pretty clear this was not a coincidence.

75. scheer1852 says: Jan 13, 2011 6:52 PM

HAHAHA I love it and Im a Jets fan, glad to see the Patriots players actually getting involved. Too bad Welker plays for the Patriots, hed fit in great with the Jets. I cant wait for next week to see all the trash talk between the Jets and the Ravens before the AFC Championship game. Jets vs Ravens will be a great championship game. Im predicting Jets 24 Ravens 14 next week.

76. wtf__seriously says: Jan 13, 2011 6:56 PM

robsterny says:
    To all Pats fans(the real ones)

———————————–
    robsterny, I couldn’t have said it better myself. I was a Jets fan long before Rex came on as HC, and I will be a Jets fan for many years to come.

The Pats have built a great team this year, and I also don’t “expect” a W for Gang Green this weekend. PFT has been filled all week with Pats fans dredging up every foot joke they can think up, Cro’s kids, etc. and a few have gotten pretty vulgar. I have been reading, but not posting. All I want to do is echo you, and go on loving the game of football.
    I realize this is an unoriginal post, but how can you add to what has already been said by robsterny?
    I am looking forward to a great game!!

77. botully says: Jan 13, 2011 7:02 PM

nyjalleffingday says:
    Jan 13, 2011 4:44 PM

———————————————-
    Really? You think Welker slipping some foot references into his answers, in a successful bid to tweak Ryan is the Jets getting into his head?
    No, my delusional friend, Cromartie swearing and hating Brady is someone who is showing fear, and a need for retribution. Welker is demonstrating someone who is loose and confident.

Oh, and Pats fans don’t fear losing to the Jets. The sad truth is we fear the humiliation of losing to the Jets. Big difference.
    What we feel towards teams:
    Colts: Respect.
    Steelers: Respect.
    Ravens: Respect, with a little contempt for the whining.
    Jets: Contempt.

Ha ha ha. With a 2-1 record, Sanchez is the most successful Jets playoff QB in the history of the franchise. That’s just sad.

Can’t wait for F E E T feet feet feet.

78. 6ball says: Jan 13, 2011 7:05 PM

New England just got two feet of snow. It could be a distraction.

79. mistrezzrachael says: Jan 13, 2011 7:11 PM

@ nyjalleffingday

Play your cards right sweetie…and Rexy could make your toes & feet feel real good too..His mouth is big enough for a double dose.

80. boblavoie says: Jan 13, 2011 7:12 PM

Hey Gregg, should have joined the fun and left a Footnote to your blog.

81. apatfanforever says: Jan 13, 2011 7:28 PM

Wes Welker and the Patriots can’t wait for Sundays final outcome , when they can give Rex and co. THE BOOT .

82. brad2587 says: Jan 13, 2011 7:35 PM

Someone publicly humiliates another on a sexual preference, that is supposed to be okay?? Maybe in the 60’s and 70’s, but this really isn’t funny at all. Just so happens that Rex likes feet instead of men, and now all of a sudden it is a joke and this is alright?

83. thenewenglandpatriots12 says: Jan 13, 2011 7:39 PM

We get it Rex Ryan has a perverted foot fetish. And a food fetish. Can’t forget about his Darrelle Revis fetish either.

84. ppdoc13 says: Jan 13, 2011 7:42 PM

Great sense of humor. Very, very funny.

85. sakatak says: Jan 13, 2011 7:50 PM

this is why I love football

86. xstaticonradio says: Jan 13, 2011 8:10 PM

Haahhaah Rex Ryan likes feet.

87. lanman11 says: Jan 13, 2011 8:16 PM

Come Sunday, the Jet’s will be eating “Cro”

Cromartie will get beat deep, cuz he’s got “Cro’s Feet!”

The Rexorcist can bust out his entire library of “foot porn” and it won’t matter for this one!

Did Rex really advertise that he wanted another man to “fist” his wife, and “humiliate” him (cuckold)? Makes sense since his little rex probably hasn;t seen the light of day for decades under that belly.

88. freedomispopular says: Jan 13, 2011 8:18 PM

I still can’t believe the Dolphins actually traded this guy.

89. nyjalleffingday says: Jan 13, 2011 8:21 PM

@MistrezzRachael

I’m going to decline that generous offer of his, but forgive me if I’m wrong, but isn’t a mistress a wee bit hypocritical for making fun of the fetishes of others? Assuming the Mistrezz in your name means what I think it does, mind you.

@Botully

Obviously, Wes isn’t thinking about football, he’s thinking of subtle ways to slip in foot comments, and clearly, the comments flying from the NYJ camp got him a little upset if he felt the need to go out and do that.

Cromartie has a long standing dislike of Tom Brady and the Patriots organization. Perhaps Cromarties comments we’re immature and could have been toned down, but “fear” is not quite the word I’d use to describe what he was feeling.

@semperfi24

Rex doesn’t feel the need to disguise his trash talk, he goes right out and says it. Also, you seem to have pegged me as someone bothered by trash talk. I love when the players talk smack, so what Wes said doesn’t bother me in the slightest, nor does Brady pointing at the sidelines, nor does Braylon doin’ his dougie in front of your toasted CB. The only time I mind is when the dead or the families get dragged into it. No need for that.

90. mistrezzrachael says: Jan 13, 2011 8:26 PM

Just wondering if Cromartie has anything more to say..As boneheaded as Ryan comments were..Cromartie comes across as a total loser. Now that Coleman is hurt, they cannot hide Cromartie on 3rd downs..Wondering what chant NE crowd will have for him when he gets burnt again…Won’t be foot boy that for certain.

91. ninjapleazee says: Jan 13, 2011 8:28 PM

this would have been perfect if that piece that Danny Woodhead did was at Footlocker instead of Modell’s

92. mistrezzrachael says: Jan 13, 2011 8:42 PM

@brad2587 says:
    Jan 13, 2011 7:35 PM
    Someone publicly humiliates another on a sexual preference, that is supposed to be okay?? Maybe in the 60′s and 70′s, but this really isn’t funny at all. Just so happens that Rex likes feet instead of men, and now all of a sudden it is a joke and this is alright?

You need to read Rexy’s [ and wife's] personal from ALT.com…Says bi curious…so great shot he likes feet and men….So does wifey

93. Deb says: Jan 13, 2011 8:44 PM

@mistrezzrachael … ewwww

94. mistrezzrachael says: Jan 13, 2011 8:51 PM

@nyjalleffingday

MistrezzRachael

Of course it’s hypocritical…but as someone who considers herself a big NFL fan [ not a NE fan per se, just love the way they play]…I find how Rex and jets act both on & off the field…and the way they talk like they’re bigtime winners…to be particularly offensive!!! People who know football and are true fans DO NOT want to see/hear Rexys’ BS….see because it stinks worse than toe fungus…..So right now, America is dishing it back to all you effing loudmouths…and welcome the day when 2 teams just go after each other..not hide their insecurities w/their mouths…Personally think jets have severe little mans disease.

95. dempsey63 says: Jan 13, 2011 9:09 PM

A full foot of column space…devoted to ?

96. luckyhole says: Jan 13, 2011 9:22 PM

Serious question: Are those really metaphors?

97. richm2256 says: Jan 13, 2011 9:41 PM

It has gotten to the point in New England this week where a mere win won’t be enough, the Jets will need to be embarrassed worse than 45-3 or it’s not a “good” win.

98. ftblfan9 says: Jan 13, 2011 9:41 PM

When Belichick sends out Tony Franklin as the Patriots Alumni Representative for the coin toss it will really be funny.

99. gnyj85 says: Jan 13, 2011 9:49 PM

i used to respect Welker..now i hope he tears his knee and crys like a little girl…again.

100. nyjalleffingday says: Jan 13, 2011 10:11 PM

@Mistrezz

Then perhaps you might want to refer to the fat jokes again. Just sayin’. It’s cool if you don’t like Rex and the Jets, plenty don’t, but if you’re as kinky as Rex trying to insult him about his hobby makes you seem like a dope. I’m a true football fan and I find Rex to be awesome. It’s a matter of opinion.

101. schportz says: Jan 13, 2011 11:03 PM

A Game Of Feet, Not Inches

102. squealpig says: Jan 14, 2011 3:50 AM

So when the Jets lose during the Delusional round, will the fans vote with their feet?

103. patsfiend says: Jan 14, 2011 7:40 AM

Single funniest post and comments I’ve ever seen on here. Thank you Wes and Rex! I hope they come up with a good chant on Sunday.

@gnyj85 … You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

104. dmretrogames says: Jan 14, 2011 8:29 AM

“I rather the Pats stay above the fray and focused leading up to Sunday. ”

Yeah, this is the first sign of a crack in the Pats’ armor. The Jets are getting under their skin.

Would love to see Welker get lit up the way Ryan Clark laid him out a couple years back.

105. tryagainplease says: Jan 14, 2011 9:04 AM

it was funny but had he used a some restraint and been a little subtle in his usage (he was not), i’d give him an a+.

106. drumbug7 says: Jan 14, 2011 10:13 AM

I just wonder how much film and/or practice time Welker and Co. missed out on, at least mentally, thinking up these little foot digs.

107. electstat says: Jan 14, 2011 12:35 PM

So Jets fans bash on Pats players and Pats fans bash on Jets family members. Interesting. Now hurry up and vote thumbs down.

108. lawest111 says: Jan 14, 2011 2:52 PM

Nice work by Welker, but let’s keep in mind that Rex has had a lot more success than Welker. Rex has a Super Bowl ring, Welker does not. Not often a player insults a coach, not sure that I like it.

109. neatz says: Jan 14, 2011 3:34 PM

I dont think any of them Jests could have figured out his shots including the fatBoy Coach until the media helped in translating what Wes was trying to say if that was the case. Very intelligent man

110. breeshasabush says: Jan 14, 2011 4:21 PM

I hate the Patriots but this was funny, gotta love Welker. The expression on his face was enough to make me lose it…. i couldn’t have kept a straight face like that, shame on ppl like Skip Bayless and other journalists and “experts” who say this was in poor taste. God forbid that people have FUN in the No Fun League. Dont dish it out if u cant take it Rex and Co….. Feet!

111. mensamember says: Jan 14, 2011 7:24 PM

Great idea Wes but poor execution. Came off as kind of lame when I saw it. Dip your toes was funny though.
    Pats fans had better pray the Pats don’t lose. There is a lot of trash talk they will have to eat if the Jets pull off a victory. It could happen and the game will be closer than you think. Jets just beat Indy in Indy with an excellent game plan despite poor QB play. Sanchez could get hot and NE will be in trouble.
    See ya Sunday. Go Jets./
    Rex 27 Hoodie 20

112. b1unt3d says: Jan 15, 2011 3:24 PM

wtf is a “solider?”

113. quentincosta says: Jan 16, 2011 12:11 AM

b1unt3d says:
    Jan 15, 2011 3:24 PM
    wtf is a “solider?”

————————–

Someone more dense that you…

114. quentincosta says: Jan 16, 2011 12:12 AM

* than

115. MikeisWise says: Jan 16, 2011 3:42 AM

Sanchez will get about as hot as an ice cube. He can throw the screen pass and to wide open receivers, but thats about it. He’s a less noodle armed, but dumber, Chad Pennington.