Huyghue says UFL “will catch up on our bills”

Jeff Jagodzinski, Michael Huyghue AP

The UFL publicly has admitted that the upstart league is having trouble making ends meet.

A memo from Commissioner Michael Huyghue to “the fans of the United Football League,” Huyghue writes that the UFL “will catch up on our bills and resolve any issues with our business partners in due course,” which is an indirect reference to:  (1) the fact that players weren’t paid for the final week of the season, weeks after the season ended; and (2) Mark Cuban has recently sued for the recovery of a $5 million loan that is past due.

Huyghue also strongly implied that the league considered not proceeding with a third season.  “Last week at our Board Meeting the owners agreed to fund 2011 because they believe in the UFL and they believe in the progress that we have made,” Huyghue said.

In other words, there was a chance that the owners would have chosen not to fund a third season.

It all makes us wonder whether there will be a fourth season.  Even if the NFL has a work stoppage, we simply don’t believe enough people care about the UFL.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Huyghue says UFL “will catch up on our bills””
  1. bohs says: Jan 14, 2011 9:43 PM

Did anyone else think this was about the UFL catching up to the Bills in talent?

2. gdonz14 says: Jan 14, 2011 9:45 PM

This news is almost as shocking as the Hawks beating the Saints.

“Even if the NFL has a work stoppage, we simply don’t believe enough people care about the UFL.”

Brilliant. The most convincing argument you’ve ever made, counselor.

3. txbearmeat says: Jan 14, 2011 9:47 PM

Do you know WHY no one cares about the UFL? It’s because it’s just not good football. If I want to watch middle level football, I’ll watch the NCAA! At least then I can look forward to seeing the young players improve and hypothesize what they’ll become and where they’ll be in the NFL. The UFL players are almost 100% retreads and washouts from the NFL, if they ever made even on to a practice squad.
    One thing the UFL has done right though is to get teams in smaller markets such as Omaha that don’t have a hometown NFL franchise to root for. This is a good way to pull in fans. Notice the Arena League didn’t follow that business plan and they are belly up now! If I am Joe fan from NYC, why would I go see sub par play when I can get my fix watching 2 consistently competitve NFL teams?

4. sdboltaction says: Jan 14, 2011 9:48 PM

I like the Lingerie Football League as an alternate to an NFL stoppage… that’s just me though….

5. toe4 says: Jan 14, 2011 9:50 PM

Shouldn’t they pay off season 2 before funding season 3?

6. kegowhisky says: Jan 14, 2011 9:54 PM

Mike, it won’t be your fault if they don’t make it. You published articles on them and gave exposure, even when IMHO they didn’t warrant the publicity. I really wish there was a credible, entertaining league to watch during the NFL and NCAA off-season, but no one seems to have cracked the code on how to make one successful. Here’s hoping that at least the players are paid for the last week and aren’t stiffed!

7. spartyfi says: Jan 14, 2011 10:09 PM

We should all watch the UfL in the future so we have a backup plan moving forward.

8. Dirty D Fo says: Jan 14, 2011 10:10 PM

9. cubano76 says: Jan 14, 2011 10:14 PM

Don’t worry UFL, the Buffalo Bills will help you guys get some revenue next year. Oh wait……

10. commandercornpone says: Jan 14, 2011 10:17 PM

what’s the ufl?

11. usetabe says: Jan 14, 2011 10:47 PM

The UFL screwed its players, wouldn’t let those that could move to the NFL without paying some crazy fee, which means nobody any good would want to be there next year. What goes around….

12. sportstalkryan says: Jan 14, 2011 10:49 PM

Any chance any NFL players sign up with the UFL during the lockout? If I was running the UFL, I’d have week-to-week contracts printed and ready to go. Imagine the tv networks banging down the UFL’s door if Peyton Manning signed up. Imagine what kind of pressure that would put on the NFL owners to get a deal done that they otherwise wouldn’t (sense they’ll be getting tv money even if there aren’t any NFL games on the air).

13. sportstalkryan says: Jan 14, 2011 10:52 PM

Oops. “Since”, not “sense”.

14. carson9 says: Jan 14, 2011 10:57 PM

I think the UFL would have more success if it scheduled its games in the Spring as opposed to the fall. You have the NFl, and the SEC in the fall. But come Springtime all you have is bore your as* off baseball. I’d rather watch an UFL game come May opposed to the other crap that we have to choose from. But thats just me.

15. hobartbaker says: Jan 14, 2011 10:58 PM

Michael also resolved to cut down on cigarettes, get more exercise, and grow taller in the coming year.

16. hobartbaker says: Jan 14, 2011 11:14 PM

Don’t be so negative Mike. UFL Football Talk may not have quite the same cachet, but it’s a gig.

17. mayfieldroadboy says: Jan 14, 2011 11:16 PM

I would enjoy watching the UFL, but I can’t find a TV station that carries the games. I’m not such a snob that I can only watch the NFL with all its rich men, thugs and goons and goodguys, playing on a professional level; I enjoy high school and college football just watching a game played for passion and pride, as well as the NFL. I love the game, not just its glitz and glamor.

18. nickster2k says: Jan 14, 2011 11:47 PM

“Last week at our Board Meeting the owners agreed to fund 2011 because they believe in the UFL and they believe in the progress that we have made”

Two words: ENHANCED SEASON

19. roseann894 says: Jan 14, 2011 11:57 PM

At first I thought the headline said “UFL will catch up with the Bills.”

20. benh999 says: Jan 15, 2011 12:12 AM

Seriously, how is his name pronounced? It looks like “who gay”.

How can they have a 2011 season funded without having paid players and vendors for 2010? No one in their right mind would provide a service to them without cash upfront.

21. vikesfans says: Jan 15, 2011 12:30 AM

They could “catch up” and take the entire Bills roster and they still could be generating enough to pay their bills

22. david7590 says: Jan 15, 2011 1:02 AM

So the Bills are finally going to the UFL?

23. xstaticonradio says: Jan 15, 2011 1:30 AM

I’ll start watching the CFL before I watch the UFL.

24. pondbridge says: Jan 15, 2011 1:42 AM

Their financial plan is to be bailed out by the NFL, particularly if an 18 game season is approved, which will mean an increased need for late season fill-ins. Some plan. Mark Cuban must be furious.

No 18 game NFL season, no UFL.

25. rymexico says: Jan 15, 2011 2:31 AM

Charge more in transfer fees!

26. thetooloftools says: Jan 15, 2011 3:24 AM

These start up leagues need to buy time on a cable channel or subsidize production costs to get exposure for their brand. The UFL was the tree that fell in the woods with no one there to hear it.. so did it really make a noise when it fell? In our football crazed society their has to be an outlet for added national exposure if the product is to be viable. I see an idea, but no vision here. I don’t see retreads, I see players who can still ball. I just can’t see it if I’m not in the stands. I would broadcast ALL my games on the internet. That live feed from Jewelry Television (www.jtv.com) is tremendous. Why can’t the UFL do it? Burning through cash makes no sense without exposure. If nothing else, buy :60 seconds of “advertising time” on ESPN Sports Centers and do your own UFL updates a few times a week during the season if they refuse to cover you.
    How can Mark Cuban be involved and this is dying on the vine? I thought he was smarter then that !

27. tdl8 says: Jan 15, 2011 3:54 AM

Does anybody that reads PFT even watch the UFL?!?!

I KNOW I DON’T! I would rather watch the Lingerie Football League! At least it has eye candy to look at!

UFL is about as worthless as the Canadian football league or soccer! It may be popular in other countries but in the USA we want to see the best players on the field! Not NFL wannabe’s or retired NFL players only playing in the UFL because they are getting paid to help the league gain popularity!

The UFL to NFL 150k transfer fee(or whatever they dropped it down to now) is complete BS also! Why should that struggling league get paid because a player got called up to the NFL? Baseball AAA teams don’t get a check if a player gets called up to the big leagues. ‘D’ league teams don’t get paid of a player leaves for the NBA! That’s like getting a promotion at work and your old boss saying.. Well if you want to take that promotion you have to pay me ‘X’ amount or you can’t have the new job! WTF?!?! Kiss my a–!

Below average or past their prime players, small markets and stupid BS policies = FAIL!

28. flyingelvislogosucksbringbackpatpatriot says: Jan 15, 2011 9:23 AM

Ok we won’t pay the players for the final week of the last season but let’s play another season. I know most of these players aren’t to bright but do you think they will come back after getting stiffed? As for Cuban, even though 5 very very large is pocket change to him I like seeing him get stiffed.

29. rajbais says: Jan 15, 2011 10:30 AM

Ok, I’ll do it just this once.

Wow!!! A lawyer saying magnanimous crap that will never happen!!!! A guy changing up all the rules 20 years too early after the first the year of business!!!!! An attorney taking someone’s money!!!!

I’m shocked!!!!!!!!!

You can’t let lawyers run businesses anymore because they’re so used to taking money. They won’t use it properly when they get dough!!!

Case in point, Michael Vick’s dogfighting case and the U.S. Government!!!!

Mark Cuban will never win an NBA championship, but he should win and be rooted for in this lawsuit!!! Go Mark!!!

30. jeremyb91 says: Jan 15, 2011 10:33 AM

If and that’s obviously a big if, if the NFL doesn’t come to an agreement with the player’s union and they miss a year, this could be the impetus of the UFL actually becoming more important. It’s football, American style, not the silly CFL.

People will watch if there’s no NFL teams playing, and watch out if the UFL signs NFL players who are low on their bank accounts, thus making the UFL more viable.

The longer the UFL stays in existence the longer it has a chance at succeeding and becoming the farm league for the NFL.

Remember, people watch Arena Football. If the UFL improves its product since its able to prove some of its players were given chances by the NFL, more former players and un-drafted free agents will want to play. The CBA is going to be a significant decision for the UFL.

31. FinFan68 says: Jan 15, 2011 10:57 AM

carson9 says:
    Jan 14, 2011 10:57 PM
    —————–
    That’s what the USFL did and it was mildly successful until it tried to take on the NFL in the fall. The USFL had too many teams to start and some combined and moved to different cities (just like the UFL is doing). The XFL was a joke from the start but the UFL had a decent chance. The league totally screwed up financially and had a poor campaign to sell the product and gain recognition. The non-NFL market cities was a good idea but they need smarter people to make it work. Not paying the players promptly was a bad PR move that will kill the league

32. sirsprague says: Jan 15, 2011 4:15 PM

Hey, you know what might help out? If the UFL decided to advertise their product. Even with online only broadcasts, if I even knew when the games were on, I’d watch them. The first UFL championship game was fun to watch. I’d gladly watch some more games if I remembered that they were on!