It’s safe to say John Fox is a big Tim Tebow fan

John Elway, Pat Bowlen, John Fox

In more than 30 years of coaching, John Fox said Tim Tebow was the only player who ever offered to pick up the tab when they went out for dinner.

In less than 30 minutes of speaking Friday, the new Broncos coach made it clear he’s an even bigger Tebow fan now than he was at draft time.

“The thing that’s impressive about Tebow is that he’s not afraid to be great,” Fox said.  “He has as good intangibles as any athlete I’ve ever been around.”

Tebow came by the Broncos building on Thursday to meet with Fox and the coach sounded smitten.  Fox also said positive things about Kyle Orton later in his introductory press conference.

“The quarterback situation is better than the one — some of the ones — that I’ve been at,” Fox said.   (Translation:  Thanks Jimmy Clausen!)

Fox also likes the wideouts: “This may be as good a corps as I’ve been with,” Fox said.  (Translation: Thanks Dwayne Jarrett!)

On defense, Fox said wasn’t committing to a 3-4 or 4-3 defense, and was just worried about adding talent.

The mile high air seemed good for the veteran coach, who looked refreshed and energized to be out of Carolina.  He mentioned he’d “like to forget” last season.

“I’m extremely competitive, Fox said.  “I want to jump back in and erase that.”

Fox sounded like a confident man, one who has been around long enough to know not every coach gets a chance to erase 2-14.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
40 Responses to “It’s safe to say John Fox is a big Tim Tebow fan”
  1. hobartbaker says: Jan 14, 2011 3:06 PM

Fox was delayed a bit arriving in Denver. The bus he drove there suffered mechanical problems from the accumulation of human body parts caught up in the undercarriage.

2. shackdelrio says: Jan 14, 2011 3:13 PM

The Broncos are going to have to be in alot of shootouts next year because that defense is god awful. Tebow is not exactly the ideal QB for that scenario.

Kordell 2.0

3. cletusvandam says: Jan 14, 2011 3:17 PM

wonder if Fox had to pay for tebow’s autograph?

4. tdrizzle74 says: Jan 14, 2011 3:18 PM

The writers covering the Bronco coaching carousel up to this point have been super harsh. Elway is not an idiot and the Broncos situation is not nearly as bleak as any of the writers here think. The broncos have 6 of the first 50 picks in the draft this year…and maybe even more if they trade down. In addition they also have Orton to use as trade bait. Fox may not create the buzz that Harbaugh does, but out of all of the coaches hired this off season he has the most experience, and has been tested in the playoffs. Besides, bringing in Fox also was a good idea because the current Offensive Coordinator coached for him in Carolina…this assures that there will be some continuity to bring Tebow along .

5. zimaman says: Jan 14, 2011 3:19 PM

i dont know but if I were Mr. Ed and Coach Fox I would definetly get me some Rob Ryan for that defense.

6. omegalh says: Jan 14, 2011 3:20 PM

Of course he loves Tebow, its day 1. What is he supposed to say? Otherwise, he would pull a Shanahan and alienate half the team.

7. myeaglescantwin says: Jan 14, 2011 3:27 PM

i tell you what.. you cant argue with production.. (unless its that Dorsey kid from the U) tebow is a leader and only wants to win. I’d bet on that kid to do great things on this level. Perhaps the only smart thing McDaniels did..

How funny is it that the Denver owners brought in McDaniels to win and allhe did was dismantle the team that was battling for the postseason.. your tellin me that they didnt need , Cutler? Marshall? and Hillis?
    thers a luandry list of other players that were above average that he ran out of town.
    —conspiracy; lol

8. onebucfan says: Jan 14, 2011 3:28 PM

As John Fox would say….”it is what it is”…Trust me Denver Fans….you WILL hear that more than you want to….

9. cleverbob says: Jan 14, 2011 3:30 PM

Hot Damn, sounds like everything is fantastic in Denver! They must have won a ton of games last year!

10. riversisanasshat says: Jan 14, 2011 3:32 PM

HERE WE GOT! DENVER BACK TO GLORY!

11. awdlmd says: Jan 14, 2011 3:45 PM

Smart move not going with a hoody for his first press conference.

12. bronco4lyfe says: Jan 14, 2011 3:46 PM

I’m sure Tebow also offered to quote scripture for Coach Fox as well. “the path of the righteous man…. Seriously I like the hire of Fox, he is the perfect guy for the Broncos situation right now..which is a steady & above average toughness. Tebow is going to get a chance to do his thing. The jury is still out, but I don’t think anyone can argue that their opinion of him has increased after his few games at the helm. Personally, the guy annoys me with his bible quotes and political stances, as that is not what I want from my QB. But, we are better today with Fox, than we were a few months ago with McDickle.
    & in closing…..I dont see us getting blown out by the Raiders anytime soon because of this hire. We may lose, but I wont be embarrassed to show my face around town.

13. patmcrotch says: Jan 14, 2011 3:47 PM

Way to go Fox, on day 1 you provided bulletin board material for the Panthers. Not that they have the ability to step up and win, but where was that attitude when you coached them?

14. gbatap says: Jan 14, 2011 3:49 PM

tdrizzle74 says:
    Jan 14, 2011 3:18 PM

The broncos have 6 of the first 50 picks in the draft this year

————————————————-
    Huh? Better double check that.

15. shackdelrio says: Jan 14, 2011 3:55 PM

“tdrizzle74 says:
    Jan 14, 2011 3:18 PM
    The broncos have 6 of the first 50 picks in the draft this year”

You must be thinking about the Tampa Bay Rays.

16. mezter says: Jan 14, 2011 3:59 PM

All I hear is how great Tebow is off the field. He’s just a nice guy until I see him do something on the field. I honestly believe Tebow is over hyped and over rated.

17. jvillenole says: Jan 14, 2011 4:04 PM

@tdrizzle74

Where do you get six picks in the first 50? The Broncos have one in the first, and two in the second.

Check your facts.

18. bigdawg24 says: Jan 14, 2011 4:07 PM

I am a Chiefs fan – and hated the Broncos all of my life. But bottom like – Tim Tebow is a great human being. The guys deserves credit – unlike the jerks of the league like Harrison & Ward from Pittsburgh, Romo or TO.

It is now hard for me to root against Tebow as he is a truely good person, even if he does play for the hated Broncos.

19. andyukbronco says: Jan 14, 2011 4:08 PM

The broncos have 6 of the first 50 picks in the draft this year?? Whoa!!

It would be amazing, if only it were true.

I think the Broncos have just 6 picks in the entire draft!

20. scytherius says: Jan 14, 2011 4:16 PM

And the Broncos are officially not contenders for years to come.

21. bristerfan says: Jan 14, 2011 4:25 PM

@patmcrotch

Bulletin board material for the Panthers? Who cares. They’re in a difference conference. He’ll see them once every 4 years. Bulletin board material is irrelevant here. This isn’t Steelers/Ravens guy.

Fox had an overall winning record after 9 season in Carolina, went to a Super Bowl and won 3 division titles. His worst season was 7-9 until last years debacle, when they had no talent, no quarterback, and no stability at the coaching position since the ownership refused to extend him before the season. I’d say that he did a pretty good job in Carolina and will do the same in Denver. Good hire.

22. universalcynic says: Jan 14, 2011 4:25 PM

The writers covering the Bronco coaching carousel up to this point have been super harsh. -tdrizzle74

You got that right. I keep waiting for the snark to emerge, or the “I have a theory..” articles that preface everything on “possibly, maybe, and could be.”

Fox is a solid hire and the way that this new regime has handled things is commendable.

23. nfl4ever says: Jan 14, 2011 4:25 PM

The Broncos will be playoff contenders in 2012.

24. tombrookshire says: Jan 14, 2011 4:28 PM

Let’s see now if he’s Bill Belichick or Marty Schottenhiemer.

25. prior0knowledge says: Jan 14, 2011 4:30 PM

“He has as good intangibles as any athlete I’ve ever been around.”

Isn’t that like saying, “S/He has a wonderful personality.”?

Wouldn’t you rather have your coach say:
    … Rocket arm…
    … reads defenses well …
    … fast release …
    … accurate passer …
    … good footwork …
    … good/fast vision …

26. WingT says: Jan 14, 2011 4:31 PM

John Fox was not the problem in Carolina – Hurney and Big Daddy ” Lets Lock Em Out” Richardson were the problems. Fox is an excellent coach. Denver is fortunate

27. normswifevera says: Jan 14, 2011 4:33 PM

Alternate and equally accurate headline: It’s safe to say John Fox won’t be employed in Denver for long

28. kowboydmac says: Jan 14, 2011 4:42 PM

Well someone get the Orton trade to the Vikings done already. Geesh.

Maybe Madieu Williams and a third? Heck what do I know.

29. dixon29 says: Jan 14, 2011 4:44 PM

I don’t think it is possible for someone to meet Tim Tebow and dislike him. The guy has an infectious personality and is one hell of a competitor… What’s not to like?

30. huskersrock1 says: Jan 14, 2011 4:53 PM

I don’t think Fox ever wanted a job with Denver. He went in as a requirement for his unemployment and got hired!

31. tdrizzle74 says: Jan 14, 2011 5:25 PM

for all of you piling on…I was wrong 6 total picks…3 in the top 50, there you go. Doesn’t change the fact Denver has some pieces to deal.

32. andyprough says: Jan 14, 2011 5:37 PM

@shackdelrio says: Jan 14, 2011 3:13 PM

Kordell 2.0

+++++++++++++++++

As in the same Kordell Stewart who was the first qb in NFL history to lead his team to a home AFC championship game during his first year as a starter? You think Tebow will have the Broncs in the AFC title game next year?

33. radrntn says: Jan 14, 2011 5:42 PM

well gotta admit I am going to miss Josh McDaniels……he was the best thing that ever happened to the raiders (chiefs and chargers)

34. all4patriots says: Jan 14, 2011 5:50 PM

Personally I don’t see how anyone can wish bad things on the guy, unless you happen to be a Raiders or Chiefs fan.

I also wouldn’t bet against him to fix the flaws that exist. Anyone care to pull up the pre-draft scouting report on Tom Brady and notice all of the flaws that supposedly existed but were fixed by hard work?

35. snaponrules says: Jan 14, 2011 6:56 PM

Of course he loves him some Tim Tebust. He wouldn’t have gotten the job with anything less. Denver wasn’t after the best coach, just the best coach that would be willing to start tebust.
    Starting to remind me of the raiders. “Your job as coach is to just win, and here is your bust of a QB that you WILL use to do it with.”

36. slickster35 says: Jan 14, 2011 7:49 PM

mezter says:
    Jan 14, 2011 3:59 PM

Well d’uh. Everyone outside of mule pie knows this.

A great personality is how people describe a fat chick they’re trying to get someone to date also.

Tebow is what he is, severely limited at the position.

37. grogansheroes says: Jan 14, 2011 8:26 PM

Hey tdrizzle, if it makes you feel any better, the Pats have six picks in the first 96.

38. djp141 says: Jan 14, 2011 9:22 PM

Tebow or Orton (especially Orton) would definitely be an upgrade over the current Carolina qbs. Truth hurts for us Panther fans.

39. sportsfanprc says: Jan 15, 2011 9:46 AM

It will be wonderful to see Broncos improve into a playoff team soon. The biggest problem is the terrible defense they have now. It suffers to see the defense team on the field. Tim Tebow is not a problem, as he is getting better and better and able to perform well under any given situation. You turn the big name rookie QB into a great winner, and you will be among a group of most-talked (if not most successful) coaches for a long long time, Coach Fox. In a developmental team with everything to improve, only the most suited coach can turn around the franchise. The best coach might be the best choice for a losing team like DENVER BRONCOS. I believe Coach Fox is as highly motivated to succeed as Tim Tebow because they are both respectful people suffering the humiliations of being in a losing team. Again, you believe in Tim, and you make him a winner in NFL, you will be remembered as a great coach.

40. sportsfanprc says: Jan 15, 2011 10:03 AM

Orton feels he is a starter because his performance is excellent. But which number is most important? The SCORE! He built up big numbers in a bad team and he was decent no matter how terrible the entire team was. His play ability was terrible whe the game was on the line. He is easy to get used to losing as the player who touches the football most. John Fox called him “smart” probably because he managed to make himself look great in a terrible season of Broncos. Orton should go to another team where he is not necessarily a good QB for the team to win. With him in the mix of QB situation, there will be a lot of problems. I strongly believe he will be traded during the offseason.