League office tells players to can the trash talk

Antonio Cromartie AP

Last month, league spokesman Greg Aiello told PFT that the NFL is the “ultimate reality show.”  Thus, leave it to the league office to add another dash of spice as we embark on the most compelling weekend of the season, from which the final four teams will emerge.

Bob Glauber of Newsday and Peter King of Sports Illustrated report that the league has issued a warning regarding the recent spate of trash talking, which came in profane quantities from Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie.  Glauber says the league office has told players to keep the trash talk “outside the white lines.”  In other words, any yapping that occurs once the game starts could result in penalties and/or fines.

King reports that executive V.P. of football operations Ray Anderson contacted all eight remaining teams late in the week with a warning to “respect the game” and to cut down on the trash talk.

Still, we agree with Jets center Nick Mangold, who told PFT Live on Friday that the trash talk is a source of humor and entertainment, and that none of it matters when the games begin.

Then again, Mangold apparently realized after his own effort to wade into the Battle of the Backhanded Barbs that some folks don’t see the humor and/or they are not entertained.  Last night, Mangold responded to Welker’s press conference sleight-of-foot by making an observation that invoked the Spygate controversy.  Said Mangold thereafter, “I make one little joke and Pats fans get their panties so in a bunch that one person told me to kill myself.  Stay classy Foxborough!”

We still think that the chatter adds to the drama.  As do warnings from the league office regarding the potential consequences of too much chatter.

Yes, the extraneous talk could cause in the minds of some the letters N, F, and L to be replaced with W, W, and E.  But it maintains and increases interest in the on-field product, which nearly all will agree (with the exception of Seahawks fans still lamenting the outcome of Super Bowl XL) is not scripted.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Baltimore Ravens, Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
65 Responses to “League office tells players to can the trash talk”
  1. myspaceyourface says: Jan 15, 2011 9:27 AM

The League needs to worry about a lock out and stop sending out memo’s about players on the field interactions.

2. eddyjf says: Jan 15, 2011 9:31 AM

Or the league can wait till the Jets are eliminated.

3. FoozieGrooler says: Jan 15, 2011 9:31 AM

Can’t wait to see Suggs’ new t-shirt.

“Hey Goodell..”

4. toledoohoh says: Jan 15, 2011 9:32 AM

Amazing.

After 2 years of Jets talking smack and making snide comments about them, the Pats finally counter with a shot at Goodell’s precious Jets, and lo and behold a warning memo is issued!

Try and hide your bias a littler better, commissioner.

5. sickpuppyz says: Jan 15, 2011 9:34 AM

Jets players should never bring up the word “classy.” Mangold is the second coming of LT…”You know me.I am a classy guy”

6. nbcstinks says: Jan 15, 2011 9:34 AM

Trash talking has always been a part of the game. Has this PC BS now infiltrated the NFL?

I suppose we wouldn’t want “vitriolic rhetoric”, “inflammatory words” and “hate speech” during a game because you never know what type of consequences could arise. I’m glad the NFL also received the political memo.

Gimmie a break…

7. 0marooney says: Jan 15, 2011 9:37 AM

Trash talk in sports is just a part of human nature (with the exception of some), and it’ll continue regardless of the penalties enforced.

Keep it comin’ boys.

8. georgeanderson2 says: Jan 15, 2011 9:45 AM

It’s entertainment. Unless the owners are suiting up, they need to shut their mouths and sit back and collect their hundreds of millions of dollars while the guys on the field provide the entertainment for the fans. These guys are just using words and doing an excellent job drawing even more interest on these games.

9. j0esixpack says: Jan 15, 2011 9:47 AM

Great. Now can they tell Coach Punchline of the NYJ to stop posting raunchy videos to Youtube?

10. idolized1 says: Jan 15, 2011 9:50 AM

It’s great to see the NFL (New Fascist League) so concerned with these grown men and their freedom of speech.

I understand they represent the league 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but they are still entitled to their opinions and have every right to speak their mind.

And, well frankly I like the drama.

Makes for a more “interesting” game, which is what we all want in the first place.

11. goodjet says: Jan 15, 2011 9:52 AM

I wish the league office would just lock it self out!

12. joerevs300 says: Jan 15, 2011 9:52 AM

The only trash talk the league should be worried about are the lies they are spewing along with the garbage the union is passing off as truth and lock themselves in a room with some PFT eggnog, gin and juice and not come out until they come to a reasonable agreement that keeps NFL players the best paid athletes in the world and the owners able to continue to thrive.

13. flyingelvislogosucksbringbackpatpatriot says: Jan 15, 2011 9:57 AM

So they wait till game day to issue this edict? Won’t make any difference next week because the Steelers and Patriots do their talking on the field.

14. bspurloc says: Jan 15, 2011 10:00 AM

Fined for trash talk on the field.

The NFL needs to just shut and keep counting their money. Oh yeah thats right they dont ahve ENOUGH money 18 games Enlgand Mexico Canada games are needed…. MORE revenue….
    and they need to get all the players in more pink less hurting each other more hugging so they can attract FEMALE $$$ to their hands….

really the nfl needs to just STFU

15. xxwhodatxx says: Jan 15, 2011 10:01 AM

Seriously,why don’t they start worrying about something more important like oh I don’t know THE LOCKOUT that’s imminent instead of policing things that bring out the competitor. That same trash talk gets players hyped,Goodall should change the name NFL- NO FUN LEAGUE!!! Goodall you SUCK

16. bspurloc says: Jan 15, 2011 10:02 AM

The nfl demands the players talk to the press,

this is NOT the British Football League.

This is SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL not GENTLEMENS League.

really just keep counting your greenbacks and shut up

17. livenbreathefootball says: Jan 15, 2011 10:03 AM

How they gonna know trash talking is happening on the field? Unless they mike every player, most trash talk goes unheard during the game. It is also part of the game just like blitzes and fakes. It’s all about getting in the opponents’ heads.

On the other hand, banning it would render those annoying Jests mutes, so that is a plus.

18. polegojim says: Jan 15, 2011 10:03 AM

A healthy amount of trash talking has always been part of sports, all sports, everywhere.

This NFL Big Brother thing is going to far.

Go prevent a lock out and let the games and players do their thing.

19. johnnyoclock says: Jan 15, 2011 10:05 AM

“We still think that the chatter adds to the drama. As do warnings from the league office regarding the potential consequences of too much chatter.”

WWE is exactly the bad course that the NFL is headed. One of the major issues facing the NFL is that of hubris, foolish pride that only leads to self-destruction.

The NFL is too stupid to understand that part of the reason it is numer1 is because of the baseball steroid issue, and college refusing a valid playoff system. The NFL is damn lucky for the failings of the other major sports. The NFL is too stupid to get that fact.

Very recently you had two 9-7 teams, the Eagles and the Cardinals, playing for the super bowl. This year you have the Seahawks with a lousy record advancing. Do you know what that means?

You have a pretty lousy league.

And you’re more damn lucky than you are quality. You’re too stupid to get that.

Go ahead NFL, keep thinking the turnstiles will just keep turning. Go ahead and devolve into pro wrastlin’. Do it. See where it gets you in 10 years.

20. steelerzzzrule says: Jan 15, 2011 10:05 AM

We need to get some shirts like Suggs has that say “Hey Goodell”

21. richm2256 says: Jan 15, 2011 10:07 AM

Said Mangold thereafter, “I make one little joke and Pats fans get their panties so in a bunch that one person told me to kill myself. Stay classy Foxborough!”
    ——————————————————–
    Maybe this happened, maybe Mangold is exaggerating, but if it’s true, Mangold is in no position to judge a town “classless” over one nutjob when his own TEAMMATE is dropping f-bombs.

I liked what Mangold said yesterday, I’ve got a sense of humor, but he was stupid with THIS comment.

22. citizenstrange says: Jan 15, 2011 10:08 AM

League office tells players to can the trash talk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I see what you did there.

23. ninjapleazee says: Jan 15, 2011 10:10 AM

way to ruin it for everyone Mangold

24. snaponrules says: Jan 15, 2011 10:10 AM

“But it maintains and increases interest in the on-field product, which nearly all will agree (with the exception of Seahawks fans still lamenting the outcome of Super Bowl XL) is not scripted.”

I am not even a seahawks fan and I could tell the league/officials decided the outcome of that game before the players ever left the locker room. About the only ones who couldn’t see it were the Steeler fans.
    Much like the Cowboys of the early 90’s and the cheaters of the 2000’s

25. xtb3 says: Jan 15, 2011 10:11 AM

but its alright for polian and some other gms?

26. mackie66 says: Jan 15, 2011 10:19 AM

The sports media plays the biggest part in this World Wrestling Federation smack talk. As a life long NFL fan I say its time to keep your mouth shut and play football, not whine about one thing or the other that has no bearing on the game. Its beginning to look like the WWF and thats the shame. PFT reports, the players read their names and the testosterone goes off the charts. Floiro thinks its cool.

27. paulsmith107 says: Jan 15, 2011 10:27 AM

Stop the trash talk goodell you are a clown a hypocrit and straight up trash you are trying to make the NFL just as lame as soccer so you can get a team to Europe you are a joke the way you handle players and the NFL

28. stetai says: Jan 15, 2011 10:28 AM

That’s right Steeler fans, not everyone has forgotten the screwjob of 2005. I’m certainly no Seahawk fan, but as a neutral observer that was one of the BSiest games I’ve ever seen. You got beat, but because you wear the Steeler uniforms you won.

29. dandemanthejetsfan says: Jan 15, 2011 10:29 AM

What is wrong with talkin trash? I know Cromartie took it to far. If you feel that way that’s fine but you should not say that in public. I do however know that all 4 AFC teams playing each other this weekend HATE each other but they do respect each other as players and as really good teams. I Think Suggs shirt was AWESOME. If anyone knows where to get one aimed @ the Pat “cheat” ots let me know. It is all in good fun and gives the media something to talk about. We should all just be happy that we get to watch 2 great games this weekend in the AFC… Enjoy

30. acmepacker says: Jan 15, 2011 10:32 AM

I agree with enough of the trash talking. The NFL is starting to sound like professional wrestling.

31. cylondetector says: Jan 15, 2011 10:33 AM

They got this one assbackwards. Keep the smack talk IN THE GAME…..not before the game when dicks like Cromartie like to work their chops.

32. immortaljunk says: Jan 15, 2011 10:34 AM

I’m curious when the league will tell the players to STOP playing football…. Indeed I think we are getting closer!!

33. zimaman says: Jan 15, 2011 10:37 AM

i mean is it me or what. Mangold are you serious or just stupid?

your team talks nothing but crap and then Wes puts on a little comedy act without talking any hurling one insult or slur and then you tell Foxboro to “stay classy”

wow – talk about looking through rose colored glasses. Mangold you are a MORON.

34. johnnyhose says: Jan 15, 2011 10:39 AM

This league is getting worse, It was getting bad with God-dell, but this Ray Anderson is out of control, first it was with the hitting penalties which still are all over the place with what is and what isn’t, and now the trash talking.
    Next he’ll just want to shut football down altogether. Oh wait I think that is coming.

35. richieab says: Jan 15, 2011 10:41 AM

sniff sniff .. smell another good foot joke coming if the jets get beat down.

36. commoncents says: Jan 15, 2011 10:46 AM

The Jets and Ravens should be named specifically here and not pretend like any other team has this diarea of the mouth syndrome!! Goodell protecting the Jets again.

37. pastabelly says: Jan 15, 2011 10:50 AM

This is all part of the Jets and their fans inferiority complex to both the Giants, Giants fans, Patriots, and Patriots fans. Maybe they should go about their business and actually get to a Super Bowl and that will make a statement rather than constantly yap and make themselves and the league look foolish.

38. jackofnotrades says: Jan 15, 2011 10:55 AM

lol why does trash talk offend anyone? Are you that weak?

39. nickster2k says: Jan 15, 2011 10:59 AM

What about grabbing your dong as you dive into the endzone to celebrate a TD? Is that still allowed?

40. youboettcha says: Jan 15, 2011 11:02 AM

I think the league has it backwards. I don’t care to hear smack talk like Cromartie’s, but Welker’s is fine. And as far as on the field smack talk is concerned, as long as the refs don’t hear a player say something like, “I’m gonna rape yo momma after I (bleep) your wife in the (bleep),” it’s fine. Who cares about on-field trash talking? I don’t want my team to win or lose a game because of a 15-yard trash talking penalty. But I also don’t need to hear stories like, “Tom Brady is an a– hole, f— him.” You’re backwards NFL.

41. steelerdynasty2010 says: Jan 15, 2011 11:03 AM

oh i just love to hear people complain about SBXL…could the officiating have been better? yes, but the same could be said about just about every game. i have yet to hear any explanation as to why the league would want to help the steelers win the game.
    face it, the seahawks screwed themselves with poor clock management (guess that was the ref’s fault), a missed field goal (guess a ref put a tack in his shoe), jerame stevens dropping passes (ref must’ve yelled “i got it” and distracted him), and you know like i know that D. Jax created space with his arm (if he didnt, why did Ike recoil? he doesnt have to knock him down for it to be PI btw. he did the same thing that Roddy white did this year against the ravens and everyone whined that it was PI, so stop whining about it), and let me guess, the refs tripped the seattle defenders on the 75 yd run?
    i can go on if you like, just let me know…

this came from a seahawks PLAYER. pay special attention to his final two sentences:
    “I had a word with him and told him I really appreciated it,” said defensive tackle Craig Terrill, a backup on that Super Bowl team. “I certainly don’t have any hard feelings against him (Leavy). There were plenty of things we did in that game that kept us from winning. He can’t take responsibility for the mistakes we made, but I appreciated it.”

42. emmac13 says: Jan 15, 2011 11:07 AM

The Jets are the Dennis Rodman of the NFL. If they make it to the Superbowl. It is a must to bring back J. Timberlake and Janet Jackson for halftime show.

43. scrapdawg12 says: Jan 15, 2011 11:09 AM

The league office should keep their mouth shut

44. 0marooney says: Jan 15, 2011 11:10 AM

@stetai

No, my friend, you have it all wrong–I couldn’t disagree with you more.

45. tjacks7 says: Jan 15, 2011 11:12 AM

The No Fun League strikes again!!

46. kenny1960 says: Jan 15, 2011 11:16 AM

Notice how trash talk was never a problem until someone had the stones to say something bad about the golden boy Tom Brady, Now everyone has to shut up because we certainly do not want to offend the golden one

47. bonniebengal says: Jan 15, 2011 11:41 AM

Shut up Goodell. It’s part of the game. And pretty boy Brady has to take it just like everyone else.

48. bodybaggame says: Jan 15, 2011 11:44 AM

Further proof that Godell and his minons in the ivory tower live in a fantasy world. This isn’t the NBA, where if you have courtside seats, you can actually hear the trash talk. Who the hell cares if they trash talk? Face facts,say if some dude shows up at the job site sporting a pair of uggs, he’s gonna get crucified. As well he should….lol

49. joefromphilly says: Jan 15, 2011 11:47 AM

The specific trash talk going on now is corny, But so is the league’s attempt to govern it.

50. upperdecker19 says: Jan 15, 2011 11:47 AM

“johnnyhose says:
    Jan 15, 2011 10:39 AM
    Soon I guess they should start handing out red, yellow, green, blue or whatever the hell the color cards for soccer are.”

Green cards? But then who would kick/punt?

51. b7p19 says: Jan 15, 2011 11:54 AM

Constant trash talk is annoying and childish. This league really is turning into a reality show and I don’t like it. I wish EVERYBODY would just shut the hell up and play. It’s seriously like we’re back in middle school on the playground.

I was all for TD celebrations and never thought I would turn into one of the “Barry Sanders had it right” guys, but after listening to all the bull sh!t we’ve had to listen to this year (Thanks HBO, Rex, ect.), thats exactly what I am. I say keep the tash talk ON the field where I don’t have to listen to it.

52. pappyjoe69 says: Jan 15, 2011 11:56 AM

WOW! Seahawkers! You need to let it go! It’s been five years! I even read yesterday that a child was sent home from school for wearing his Steeler shirt for Seahawk Day! He is a Steeler Fan and ADULTS sent him home! ADULT TEACHERS & ADMINISTRATORS! Get a grip.

53. robsterny says: Jan 15, 2011 12:02 PM

Its ALL part of the Big Show!..The trash talk ,the league saying “stop the trash talk”,then some players doing it anyway…its all a game *L*..wake up you sheep!!!

54. stanjam says: Jan 15, 2011 12:30 PM

Trash talk is one thing, but threatening to hurt someone so they can not play anymore is quite another. i think the league should start handing out suspensions.

I always thought the Jets might come out in this game to hurt someone, now we have evidence.

55. nickster2k says: Jan 15, 2011 12:38 PM

flyingelvislogosucksbringbackpatpatriot says:
    Jan 15, 2011 9:57 AM

————————————-

Anthony Smith begs to differ.

By the way…I was stunned to see he is playing for the Packers. I thought for sure he would have run himself out of the league by now. Maybe he wised up.

56. iluvwikileaks says: Jan 15, 2011 1:11 PM

stetai? You an @$$. Go hang yourself. Your team probably sucks as bad as the Seababies did in that Super Bowl. Stop whining, making excuses and blaming referees everytime things don’t go your way. OK, scuzball?

Don’t like what I just said? Do something about it, punk.

57. hooterdawg says: Jan 15, 2011 1:34 PM

“King reports that executive V.P. of football operations Ray Anderson contacted all eight remaining teams late in the week with a warning to “respect the game” and to cut down on the trash talk”

Memo to NFL: Trash talking has always been part of the game itself. What is reported in the press is mellow compared to what is traded on the field. Trash talking to the media is the players effort at exposing what baffoons the media really is. It is the media that reports what is said on Twitter accounts. The NFL is not going to shape social network behavior.

58. hammertoe11 says: Jan 15, 2011 2:11 PM

NFL tells players to stop the trash talk. HOW about NFL tell Rex(foot lover) Ryan to stop his trash talk. Oh that is right someone trash talked Rex the foot lover Ryan. It hurt his feelings.
    Rex went to NFL tell them to the players stop the talk about feet or foot trash talk. Hell if Rex and his wife didn’t post his love of feet on youtube. There would be NO foot jokes out there. Rex got his tiny LITTLE feelings hurt. What a loser.

59. Deb says: Jan 15, 2011 2:16 PM

No talking within the white lines? Good thing Roger Killjoy wasn’t around when Vikings DT John Randle was, um, entertaining opponents with his game routines. Fans would have missed a great show and Randle probably wouldn’t have his bust in Canton.

60. zone44blitz says: Jan 15, 2011 2:27 PM

Where do I sign up to become a part of Goodell’s Nazi Regime before I get fined and/or penalized too?

61. slickster35 says: Jan 15, 2011 2:59 PM

The Yets are perennial losers.

Now they’ve added trashy scum to their resume.

Thank god the Pats will be shutting this yearly joke down very soon.

Then fatass can concentrate on his footwork in the offseason.

62. Vinnie Saltine says: Jan 15, 2011 3:07 PM

“Glauber says the league office has told players to keep the trash talk ‘outside the white lines.’ In other words, any yapping that occurs once the game starts could result in penalties and/or fines.”

Considering that most spectators cannot hear any trash talk during the game, then I don’t see why this is an issue.

Instead, they should try to reduce the amount of trash talk that happens the week leading up to the game; or at least, make sure that the players & coaches aren’t spouting off vulgarities like calling Brady and “a$$hole”. That’s not trash talk, that’s just being a pr!ck.

63. puddinpouch says: Jan 15, 2011 3:23 PM

Asked to comment, Bart Scott said, “Aiello? I’ll break that MFer’s legs!”

64. commoncents says: Jan 15, 2011 3:24 PM

If you take the trash out of the jets, you aren’t left with much moew than an overrated coach and underperforming players.

65. biglebronski says: Jan 15, 2011 4:58 PM

Because Boston fans can dish it out but they can’t take it…. Wicked sweet.