The best game of the weekend comes first

Aaron Smith

Jets-Patriots may have the most trash talk, but the truth is that their games are rarely that memorable.

True football fans know the most compelling game of the weekend is the first one.  No two teams more consistently deliver drama on the field than Ravens-Steelers.

My preview column for NBCSports.com this week looks at what makes the Baltimore-Pittsburgh rivalry so great, with a focus on the last three years of classic games.

If the Steelers are going to put together another big fourth quarter win, they will have to do it without defensive end Aaron Smith.  Listed as doubtful on the injury report, Adam Schefter has confirmed Smith will indeed be out Saturday.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
15 Responses to “The best game of the weekend comes first”
  1. seaner44 says: Jan 15, 2011 11:54 AM

Dear NFL: please go away and let the players do whatever the hell they want… the fans like the trash talk

2. nickster2k says: Jan 15, 2011 12:02 PM

Tough one for Goodell. He’s probably trying to figure out a way to make both teams lose.

3. xtb3 says: Jan 15, 2011 12:07 PM

Green Bay/Atlanta game will be the most exciting game of the weekend.

4. steeltownpride says: Jan 15, 2011 12:15 PM

Everyone has know that Smith wont play today , next week and maybe even the SB if the Steelers make it . Dont know why the media tries to make it sound like drama . Real Steeler fans know the deal with our own team .

5. pappyjoe69 says: Jan 15, 2011 12:15 PM

I am a hard core lifetime Steeler fan and I’m really looking forward to this game today. I’m glad that the Rooneys chose Mike Tomlin as our coach, he seems to have a firmer hand than Bill Cowher did. Baltimore has a great organization and it’s a thrill to have this game at home in Pittsburgh. Right now, though I’m confident the Steelers will pull it out, I’m also very nervous of the Ravens capabilities. I do agree that “The best game of the weekend comes first” and though we are arguably the marqee match-up, i’m not sure I could wait until Sunday night for this brouhaha to start! Good luck Steelers, thank you Ravens for such a tremendous rivalry.

6. paulieorkid says: Jan 15, 2011 12:17 PM

The Steeler coaching staff, front office and players alike have so much respect that the Steelers determined that they would reserve a highly valued roster spot for the mere possibility that Aaron Smith could return deep into the post-season.

That is pure RESPECT.

Well deserved Aaron. Well deserved.

7. Bubby Brister says: Jan 15, 2011 12:25 PM

Ziggy Hood will step up again.

Just hope for a mostly clean, good game. Don’t let this come down to penalty flags, please. I don’t want Pittsburgh to get any gifts just as much as I don’t want the Ravens to get any. It’d be a real shame if we had to spend the next weeks overlooking a great game to discuss how the Ravens got screwed over by a bad spot or the Steelers did because of a bogus roughing the passer. Just let these lions maul each other and see which one comes out alive.

8. darthvader89 says: Jan 15, 2011 1:05 PM

I keep trying to think “who knows, maybe this game won’t be that close, maybe for once it won’t be an insane, heart-pounding, nail-biting overwhelmingly stressful day, maybe someone will have a 10pt lead…………………………………….Sigh. Nah.

9. Wisconsin77 says: Jan 15, 2011 1:07 PM

It may be the most over-hyped game, but the Pats will easily dismantle the Jets. The most exciting game of the weekend will be ATL/GB.

10. iamthefootballjerk says: Jan 15, 2011 2:03 PM

pappyjoe69 says: Jan 15, 2011 12:15 PM

—————————————————
    I am a Ravens fan, and I could not have said most of it better myself. Cannot wait for this game. Two great organizations, a bunch of future HOFs on both sides, and great fan support on both sides.

11. Deb says: Jan 15, 2011 2:26 PM

As noted in your NBC Sports article, you can tell what kind of football fan you are by your rivalry preference. With Pats/Colts it’s all about QB shootouts. But with Steelers/Ravens, it’s hard-hitting defense. This is throwback smashmouth football at its finest. Unlike other rivals, I may hate the Ravens, but at least I respect them. No pretty boys on the field today.

12. mayfieldroadboy says: Jan 15, 2011 2:27 PM

This game should have been played on Sunday so more people could see it. National marquee match-up being played when people are coming home from work or just getting to work…and think of all the fans in the service industry who will not see the game. Serious lack of planning by the NFL.

13. jordiway90 says: Jan 15, 2011 2:42 PM

When it comes down to it..the ravens will be crying about the penalties and how it changed the game. Suggs, Lewis and Reed…I can see it now.

14. patpatriotrules says: Jan 15, 2011 3:58 PM

Get real folks….the winner of this game earns the right to lose to the Pats next week…

15. freedomispopular says: Jan 15, 2011 4:46 PM

@mayfieldroadboy
    The NFL didn’t plan anything. The scheduling of the games is predetermined.