Chad Pennington will attempt another comeback

C. Pennington

The crushing end to Chad Pennington’s 2010 season isn’t going to deter him from attempting yet another comeback from shoulder surgery.

I’m going to make a run at it, and the reason I am is that I still have that fire inside,” Pennington told Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post. “I have to go out and see if my shoulder can respond. If it doesn’t respond, I can live with that.  But if it does, or it could have responded and I didn’t give it a chance, I don’t think I could live with that.”

Pennington dislocated his shoulder on his first play back as the team’s starting quarterback in 2010 and underwent his fourth shoulder surgery in December.  He lauded Miami’s hire of Brian Daboll as offensive coordinator; Daboll worked with Pennington in New York.

The two-time NFL Comeback Player of the Year award doesn’t necessarily expect Miami to invite him to training camp.

“If they don’t [want me back], it certainly won’t hurt my feelings,” Pennington said.  “I understand the situation, I understand the history behind it. I’m certainly not expecting anything from the Dolphins.”

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
38 Responses to “Chad Pennington will attempt another comeback”
  1. ralphwilsonsucks says: Jan 17, 2011 6:26 PM

Bills backup for 2011.

2. b7p19 says: Jan 17, 2011 6:28 PM

Good for you Chad. Good luck on the comeback.

3. deanvernonwormer says: Jan 17, 2011 6:33 PM

In a league of thugs you will not find a more honorable man that Chad Pennington.

4. thetooloftools says: Jan 17, 2011 6:37 PM

If anybody can make it back… this guy can. He tough as nails.

5. scheer1852 says: Jan 17, 2011 6:39 PM

Good luck Chad. I thought you were great with the Jets. Just choose an NFC team so that I can root for you.

6. raythestabber says: Jan 17, 2011 6:40 PM

How can the Miami Dolpins sign Brian Daboll to be their offensive coordinator. His playcalling in Cleveland was offensive in itself!

7. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Jan 17, 2011 6:41 PM

This won’t end well…..if he has to play anyways

8. 3octaveFart says: Jan 17, 2011 6:44 PM

he’s starting to sound like (gag) Favre.

9. ohioraider says: Jan 17, 2011 6:44 PM

I guess the 4th shoulder surgery is the charm

10. marcsasharc says: Jan 17, 2011 6:50 PM

a guy the 49ers should look at. nothing wrong in bringing him in and seeing if theres anything left, if Miami has no interest in him. add him to the list of QBs that i can see SF taking a hard look at if these guys become available:

Orton
    McNabb
    Hasselbeck
    Pennington

all guys that can run a west coast offense.

11. skoobyfl says: Jan 17, 2011 6:51 PM

This guy, single-handedly, is advancing sports surgeries to a new level.

12. godellgetalife says: Jan 17, 2011 6:55 PM

wherever you end up cp i wish you the best

13. roxtar10 says: Jan 17, 2011 6:57 PM

Like a young Brett Favre….minus the talent.

Arizona anyone??

14. jkilroy89 says: Jan 17, 2011 6:59 PM

Chad’s has always been a class act. Easy to root for. I’d welcome him back to the Jets in a back-up/mentor role for Sanchez. One of the more cerebral players in the game. It’s a shame injuries limited his durability and sapped his arm strength.

15. smoothdaddyride says: Jan 17, 2011 7:16 PM

Pennington’s presence in the locker room, film room and meetings is worth 3 Thigpens riding the bench.

16. cjspiller12 says: Jan 17, 2011 7:43 PM

I am a Bills fan so of course I hate all the other teams in the AFC East, but I have to say Chad Pennington is a class act, always has been. I wish him luck, but in my opinion he is pretty much done. He would make a terrific coach…that should be his calling!!!

17. doe22us says: Jan 17, 2011 8:02 PM

i mean its all all well and good that he wants to come back, but that fall or sack that put him on IR the player barely creamed him. At this point Chad your arm is being held by a string.. i would take that the $$$$ he has made can last him lifetime overs retire while you are ahead.

18. luckyhole says: Jan 17, 2011 8:04 PM

You only get one shot.

Do not miss your chance to blow.

This opportunity comes once in a lifetime.

19. jackofnotrades says: Jan 17, 2011 8:05 PM

never really a jet fan but he had some good years. On the fins as well. Why not? His heart was never questioned, his poor arm however…

20. jhorton83 says: Jan 17, 2011 8:10 PM

The fact that his shoulder fell apart yet again after literally his first play of the season doesn’t speak well of his chances for a comeback. Crazier things have happened though. I’d still probably trust a shoulder-less Chad Pennington out there more than Chad Henne.

21. Deb says: Jan 17, 2011 8:14 PM

The injuries are a crying shame with Pennington because he plays with such heart. Don’t know if he has the physical tools for another comeback, but agree that he could be a great mentor to a young QB like McCoy.

All the best in your efforts, Chad!

22. bluefan204 says: Jan 17, 2011 8:16 PM

Classy guy, decent career, but it’s time, Chad. Go away, bro. Your playing days are over.

23. quickwitt says: Jan 17, 2011 8:32 PM

Go for it Chad! I suspect CP’s experience and character would be welcomed in many locker rooms if he is physically able to play. Serviceable NFL QB’s at last check are still in demand.

24. dolphins4 says: Jan 17, 2011 9:33 PM

He should consider becomeing a coach.He’d be great to start coaching QBs.

25. dolfan34 says: Jan 17, 2011 10:29 PM

jkilroy89,

You’re kidding yourself if you think CP would have anything to do with the Jets after the way they treated him right before the season started three years ago.

26. jordangarnett says: Jan 17, 2011 10:56 PM

Pennington aka the glass shoulder is Miami’s best bet

27. melkiperlovestoddmcshay says: Jan 17, 2011 11:12 PM

Warrior. NFL needs more men like this.

28. richm2256 says: Jan 17, 2011 11:29 PM

I have always liked and respected Chad Pennington, but for the love of God, man, take off the blindfold and read the writing on the wall, while you can still feed yourself.

29. FinFan68 says: Jan 17, 2011 11:32 PM

I was hoping he would hang up the cleats and take the open QB coach job on the Dolphins. BTW, that pic looks like he frustrated while attempting to tell Henne which way the offense is supposed to be going.

30. alanschech says: Jan 18, 2011 12:35 AM

Chad
    You are one of my favorite Jets ever to play for us. You are a brilliant man, you overcome physical shortcomings by your brilliant mind, but it is over. Your arm is held together by paper mache and crazy glue. Please don’t do this. I want you to be able to have a normal life with your wife and kids. Become a coach, you would be an absolutely brilliant one. But it’s time to hang it up. Maybe Mr. T can sign you to a 10 day contract so you can retire as a Jet. But please don’t jeopardize living a normal life.

31. CKL says: Jan 18, 2011 1:26 AM

I like about 5 QBs personalities. His is one of them.
    The way the Jets and some of their fans treated him made me hate them more than almost anything else they have done and I’m a Pats fan so that list is long.
    Good luck Chad and I wish you the best.
    IF he is healthy..the team that should sign him is Carolina. He would be PERFECT there. They badly needed just this type of QB mentor there last year.

32. cup1981 says: Jan 18, 2011 1:58 AM

deanvernonwormer says:
    Jan 17, 2011 6:33 PM

———————————————–

Amen, before the Steelers got Roethlisberger, I was pulling for Pennington to come to Pittsnurgh. It nearly happened too…

33. loytomaki says: Jan 18, 2011 2:12 AM

Good for him, I can think of more then a few teams (Dolphins included) that could use a guy like him to help groom their future. That is not to say he couldn’t start next year, but obviously would not be a long term answer at his age. He is a good player, a fighter, and doesn’t give up. In addition he has proven a good (not great) QB that is much better then what Arizona rolled with this year.

34. rickmirer says: Jan 18, 2011 5:42 AM

@Deb
    You always have the nicest things to say. I enjoy reading your posts. The post about Roethlisberger and his legal issues was great. As a Seattle fan I have no coice but t hate him, but you changed my mind about his off field bugaboos. Looking forward to your next post. Oh yeah, Pennington. I hope he comes back and wins another most improved award, the guy is straight up beastly! Four more years!

35. phillyfinsfan says: Jan 18, 2011 6:00 AM

I love Chad Pennington but he threw ONE pass and tore his shoulder last season. Good luck.

36. mrnumbe says: Jan 18, 2011 7:46 AM

If Chad Pennington would’ve been healthy the season for the Dolphins would’ve looked completely different. I am a Dolphin fan and I was hoping he would get healthy from the very start of the year. He’s a beast and I wish him the best in the future, hopefully he stays within this crazy organization as either a healthy back-up (if we get a decent starter obviously) or a QB Coach!

Go Chad, and go Phins!

37. dolphin80 says: Jan 18, 2011 9:46 AM

At this point, a healthy Chad Pennington is the only QB (currently) that would give the Dolphins a fighting chance at being a decent team in 2011. Problem is, Chad shoulder is as brittle as glass, and, as he proved this season, he’s not durable in the least, and any team hanging their hopes on him is taking a huge risk. I don’t know what they did for this fourth shoulder surgery, but unless they installed a titanium shoulder, Chad is a huge risk, but as long as that is acknowledged, I’d still love to root for the guy. Class act 100%.

38. mksnpcola says: Jan 18, 2011 3:13 PM

However it turns out, I wish you all the best. This is one Dolphins fan that appreciates how you do what you do. Glad to have you on our side. Playing, backing up, or coaching, hope you are still around. The Miami Dolphins are a better organization with you around.