King: It’s time to deep six “Matty Ice”

Matt Ryan

When Peter King of Sports Illustrated made his first-ever appearance on PFT Live to launch Week Three of the show, we asked him about something King wrote in his latest Monday Morning Quarterback column at SI.com.

“Matty Ice,” King wrote.  “Time to retire the name.”

King then elaborated.  I could type what he said, but I’m lazy that way.  Besides, we prefer that you watch the sliver of the full segment regarding the “Matty Ice” moniker.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, PFT Live, Rumor Mill, Videos
52 Responses to “King: It’s time to deep six “Matty Ice””
  1. hobartbaker says: Jan 17, 2011 10:54 PM

Retire it? I only heard it for the first time a few days ago. Matty Ice, we hardly knew ye.

2. hobartbaker says: Jan 17, 2011 10:57 PM

In retrospect it does make him sound a bit like a lite beer that’s only available in Seattle and San Francisco.

3. Dirty D Fo says: Jan 17, 2011 11:07 PM

It’s time for King to retire.

4. quickwitt says: Jan 17, 2011 11:09 PM

Geez, the TEAM lost 48-21. Would Ryan have needed to personally score 49 to keep a nickname he didn’t ask for? Give me a break.

5. packattack04 says: Jan 17, 2011 11:10 PM

I knew all along he was really just “Matty Light”.

6. cobrala says: Jan 17, 2011 11:15 PM

That wasn’t much of an elaboration.

7. hobartbaker says: Jan 17, 2011 11:16 PM

The nick was hardly household. I’d venture to say that most people thought it was something that comes in a dixie cup and costs $9 at Starbucks.

8. mataug says: Jan 17, 2011 11:20 PM

People like Peter King come up with these nicknames and conveniently forget it to pass their judgment about players later on.

Weren’t you one of those who said Joe Flacco was an elite quarterback ? Against the Steelers(as usual), he looked worse than Mark Sanchez and that’s saying something.

The NFL media: Where opinions change every Monday morning.

9. dilberry says: Jan 17, 2011 11:24 PM

Yes. We should listen to Peter King of Jumping off the Bandwagon. He’ll throw anyone under the bus that has a bad outing.

10. darthvincent says: Jan 17, 2011 11:34 PM

sounds like a nickname a 12 year old would give himself…. although being 0-2 in the playoffs would be enough of a reason to deep-six it.

11. youboettcha says: Jan 17, 2011 11:45 PM

Deep-six it? Maybe you mean pick-six it!!!

12. nfl4ever says: Jan 17, 2011 11:46 PM

hobartbaker says:
    Jan 17, 2011 10:54 PM
    —————————————————-
    He had that nickname back when he was at Boston College.

Really, what does this matter? Peter King must be running out of things to comment on.

13. nps6724 says: Jan 17, 2011 11:52 PM

I’ve heard this nickname used at least once in every Falcons game I’ve watched this season (about 6) not to mention it being used on the various NFL shows on both ESPN and NFLN so it’s a well-known moniker. And fairly unearned. Unless you win a Super Bowl or an MVP in your first few years, you don’t deserve a nickname yet. It’s presumptuous and ridiculous for him to have ever had this nickname in the first place.

14. gypjet says: Jan 17, 2011 11:58 PM

King is a mouth-breathing Jerry Jones lover.

15. mattyven says: Jan 17, 2011 11:59 PM

He got the name while at BC for some comebacks. Still, a name like that needs to come from winning pro games that count.

16. shaggytoodle says: Jan 17, 2011 11:59 PM

I don’t think it was so much the score, but the 2INTs in GB territory did’t make him look so clutch.

17. sintaxair says: Jan 18, 2011 12:01 AM

Matty Ice played like Natty Ice tastes.

18. hooterdawg says: Jan 18, 2011 12:18 AM

I won’t bother to fall for the attempt to get a web hit.

19. CKL says: Jan 18, 2011 1:00 AM

Denny Green thinks Matty Ice’s ass was crowned too early. He came IN to the NFL with this nickname. UGH.

20. clownburger says: Jan 18, 2011 1:13 AM

All nicknames that end in the word “ICE” or are made up of initials should be retired!

21. pantherpride52 says: Jan 18, 2011 1:22 AM

He shouldn’t lose his nickname because his team choked.

22. progress2011 says: Jan 18, 2011 1:33 AM

I kinda like the nick name. But I have my own version :
    ” Matty Ice Creme Puff ” because he has the weakest (and skinniest ) arm in the league.

23. cup1981 says: Jan 18, 2011 2:03 AM

hobartbaker says:
    Jan 17, 2011 10:54 PM

————————————————–

Huh?? you gotta be kidding me. He has been called that forever. I am not even a Falcons fan, and I know that lol.

I think the nickname should simply be revoked until he actually proves he deserves it in the pros…

24. jkaflagg says: Jan 18, 2011 3:44 AM

Does somebody think that Matt Ryan or anybody on the team REALLY calls him “Matty Ice” ? It’s purely a media creation….so when King suggests that he lose the nickname, I suggest he twitter all his fellow flacks and tell them “no more Matty Ice – we built him up, now it’s time to tear him down”…..

25. buzmeg says: Jan 18, 2011 4:09 AM

Matty Ice melted!

26. wydok says: Jan 18, 2011 5:58 AM

Natty Ice is crappy beer, anyway.

Also, I heard Matt Ryan once walked by a cat stuck in a tree. There’s a video about it. Mike, you should write a diatribe about it.

27. bucks12965 says: Jan 18, 2011 6:01 AM

Peter King stumped for years to keep Art Monk out of the HoF. He also predicted Danny Weurfel would throw 3,600 yards and 26 touchdowns in his rookie season.

Peter King is a name dropping (“I just got off the phone with…”) moron.

28. mannyicey says: Jan 18, 2011 6:23 AM

I’ve always thought it was stupid. First, win a playoff game. Then, get yourself a nickname.

(By the way, the moniker mannyicey was my quiet, non-violent protest of having a quarterback that’s 0-for-the-playoffs having a nickname of any sort.)

29. bobbyhoying says: Jan 18, 2011 6:57 AM

So sad the Birds never got to play them in the Dome. Maybe they won’t have two gimmes against Carolina, the next year in which the NFL plays, and that first round bye will be harder to come by.

30. bojack34 says: Jan 18, 2011 7:10 AM

I think it was time to retire it long before King suggested it. A terrible, cringe-worthy nickname.

31. savocabol1 says: Jan 18, 2011 7:47 AM

Ok (in robot voice) I will do what Lord King says.

32. wikidpissah says: Jan 18, 2011 7:54 AM

Are you kidding me? He made a ridiculous throw at the end of the half? This from a guy who’s been cannonizing Brett Favre for years, despite the fact that he’s lost many playoff games with “ridiculous throws.” Not to mention the way he rationalizes every playoff loss by (9-10 and 7 0ne and dones) Peyton Manning.

What a fraud.

33. catman72 says: Jan 18, 2011 7:55 AM

I think the nickname is perfect, he’s froze both times he’s been in the playoffs.

34. baseballstars says: Jan 18, 2011 8:21 AM

He shouldn’t change it because he didn’t perform well in the playoffs. He should change the nickname because it sucks.

35. bigtrav425 says: Jan 18, 2011 8:25 AM

After 1 game? and obviously you cant blame that game on just him the whole TEAM let me say it again Peter King TEAM since it is a TEAM sport played horrible especially the D…Peter King is nothing more then a Tard and Peter Head ….Sorry i had to say that last one.The inner me kinda chuckled lol

36. cappa662 says: Jan 18, 2011 8:30 AM

Matt Ryan has always been overrated to me. He’s not a top 10 QB. I would take Mark Sanchez over Matt Ryan. Ryan has been the benefit of a strong run game, and a strong defense. Sanchez and Ryan are the same type of QB, however Sanchez shows up for the playoffs.

37. jcjets says: Jan 18, 2011 8:51 AM

its a pretty horrible nickname, regardless. matty ice sounds pretty ghey

38. theytukrjobs says: Jan 18, 2011 8:52 AM

Matty Ice is a clever play off of the Natty Ice, which itself is a nickname for Natural Ice, one of the cheapest, nastiest beers you can get. In other words, a college kid staple drink.

To say he hasn’t earned the right for his name to be made to sound like dog poo in a can is pretty harsh.

39. xxwhodatxx says: Jan 18, 2011 8:53 AM

I am so tired of hearing “Matty ice” I can’t even put it in words. It’s a stupid name one that I’m sure Jon gruden came up with on MNF just like he always tries to. Just like when he started calling mike Vick “starship 7″ and many others,what a jackass… Back to the point DON’T GIVE A GUY A NICKNAME TILL HE DOES SOMETHING TO DESERVE IT!!!

40. philtration says: Jan 18, 2011 9:33 AM

Dirty D Fo says: Jan 17, 2011 11:07 PM

It’s time for King to retire.
    ====================================

Be careful.
    King is a friend of PFT now.
    How long before you cannot type the name “King” on this site?

41. tarken10 says: Jan 18, 2011 9:35 AM

It was a ridiculous, forced nickname anyway. Why can’t the players and analysts and pundits call these people by their actual name? This idea about marketing players and the league by creating a brand is making the league very unattractive.

The closer and closer they come to making the NFL an entertainment event, and not a sports competition, the more and more I am convinced that the games and the stories within the games are scripted.

42. nps6724 says: Jan 18, 2011 9:43 AM

bigtrav425 says: Jan 18, 2011 8:25 AM

—————————————–

Yeah it’s not like Ryan threw an INT in the endzone that led to 7 points in a tie game or threw a Pick-6 with 10 seconds left in the 1st half and only down 7…

43. sageyoung says: Jan 18, 2011 9:50 AM

I hear he may have unknowingly walked by a Cancer victim without signing her hat. Let the demonization begin!

44. joatmon says: Jan 18, 2011 9:54 AM

It’s not Matty Ice’s fault there’s no D in Falcons.

45. Omar Comin says: Jan 18, 2011 10:08 AM

Wow, this guy still hasn’t won a playoff game.. He must be better than Flacco still (laughable). Stop riding this guys Boston College jockstrap.

46. jimmy1smith says: Jan 18, 2011 10:15 AM

The nickname is beyond stupid. If he should get to the playoffs and lose his third playoff game in a row, switch his nickname to Matty Choke and trade him to the Vikings.

47. moelester says: Jan 18, 2011 10:37 AM

Whats worse: Matty Ice or Lawfirm?
    They both make me wanna smack whoever says it like they are my red headed step child

48. fanbulance says: Jan 18, 2011 11:28 AM

I agree with the post above. Its high time for Peter King to retire. For proof, note his preseason ranking of the Panthers at number 8 and his breakout player of the year–Matt Moore. And this guy is supposed to be an expert?

49. nps6724 says: Jan 18, 2011 11:45 AM

fanbulance says: Jan 18, 2011 11:28 AM

——————————————

He also picked Green Bay and Pittsburgh for the Super Bowl and both are 1 game away.

Despite the notion, no sports analyst is an “expert”. Too many variables, chief among them the players being human.

50. iselldrugstoandyreidskids says: Jan 18, 2011 12:06 PM

I remember hearing that nickname after the Virginia tech game I didn’t get it then and never got it now all year ppl talked about his come from behind victorys and how he brings his team bam with 1 minute on the clock well I’d he wasso good wouldn’t he stop putting his team in situations were he has to win with 58 seconds on the clock? Shouldn’t he be up a score or two late in the fourth if he’s so good?

51. nesuperfan says: Jan 18, 2011 1:32 PM

It is official: He is now known as Matty Water.

52. thevchip says: Jan 18, 2011 9:54 PM