Panthers pick an offensive coordinator too

R. Chudzinski

On the same afternoon the Panthers chose Sean McDermott as defensive coordinator, they have picked a leader for the offense and special teams too.

Darin Gantt of the Charlotte Observer reports former Chargers tight end coach Rob Chudzinski will run the team’s offense.   It’s a massive hire because new head coach Ron Rivera has only coached defense, and Carolina’s biggest problems certainly reside on offense.

Chudzinski has been a premier tight ends coach and coached up an explosive Browns offense in 2007.  When the bottom fell out of Derek Anderson in 2008, “Chud” was sent packing along with head coach Romeo Crennel.   Gantt points out that Chudzinski replaces Jeff Davidson as offensive coordinator for a second time, having also displaced him in Cleveland.

There are decent offensive pieces in Carolina starting with a solid offensive line  and promising backfield, even if DeAngelo Williams leaves this year.  The problem, as ever, is at quarterback.   It’s hard to imagine Jimmy Clausen entering training camp as a presumptive starter.

The team also hired former Vikings special teams coach Brian Murphy as special teams coordinator.   The team will also retain Sam Mills III.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
16 Responses to “Panthers pick an offensive coordinator too”
  1. WingT says: Jan 17, 2011 6:02 PM

Clausen is not the biggest problem for Carolina. The Jets are proving that you can take a very young QB and win. Clausen has tremendous potential. He needs a coach that can slowly bring him along.

2. kegpack says: Jan 17, 2011 6:17 PM

Whats with the Clausen bashing??? Hes a friggin rookie! Last time I checked, rookie qb’s usually struggle. He didn’t even start a whole year. Someone fill me in on why Clausen is already considered a failure, please.

3. panther17 says: Jan 17, 2011 6:21 PM

QB play killed the Panthers last season. Clausen is only a rookie but he was no where close to “Most NFL Ready QB” in the draft as hyped to be.

4. oldbyrd says: Jan 17, 2011 6:34 PM

Carolina needs a doctor

5. jhorton83 says: Jan 17, 2011 6:37 PM

WingT says:
    Jan 17, 2011 6:02 PM
    ————————————————–

Mel Kiper, is that you?

6. jhorton83 says: Jan 17, 2011 6:40 PM

Seriously though, Chudzinski is a decent hire. Did a very good job with the Browns offense in 2007. He somehow made Derek Anderson look good. Just think about that for a minute.

7. toonsterwu says: Jan 17, 2011 7:05 PM

I don’t know if I’d say tremendous potential for Clausen. Clausen’s status in the draft was always more as the “coming from a polished pro offense” guy than a guy with a huge ceiling. May be an issue of semantics here.

I’m not sure I love the McDermott hire for the defense. We know that Rivera wants to run a defense akin to the late Jim Johnson, but Sean McDermott was ineffective doing that in Philadelphia with better personnel. That said, I imagine Rivera is going to take an active approach to the defense, and I could see Ron mixing up fronts.

Very surprised Ron Meeks stayed.

Offensively, I do like the Chudzinski hire. Whether it is Clausen or another young QB, the best way to help that QB out is to have a power run game, and I think Chudz will try to emphasize that.

Now, though, comes the hard part, which is getting the personnel.

8. djp141 says: Jan 17, 2011 7:06 PM

Clausen may not be the biggest problem. But he’s in the top 2.

9. parkerfly says: Jan 17, 2011 7:21 PM

Chud’s offense is quarterback friendly and will benefit Clausen. I think this is a good hire by Rivera.

10. screamingsheep69 says: Jan 17, 2011 7:28 PM

Wonder why Fox didn’t scramble to get Davidson to Denver with him.
    His choices of Offensive Coordinators ended up being his downfall.

11. hobartbaker says: Jan 17, 2011 7:55 PM

At the risk of profiling, I’d say “Chud”s expertise as a player was blocking in the trenches.

12. bigclaws says: Jan 17, 2011 10:15 PM

@oldbyrd:

Paging Doctor Rivera…needed expertise STAT…

13. boltfanz says: Jan 17, 2011 11:09 PM

Billy Volek might be your Starting QB. He knows the system, can provide solid leadership for a year or two while the young QBs mature, and has a playoff win over the Colts

14. pantherpride52 says: Jan 18, 2011 1:26 AM

I don’t know much about the guy. As long as he’s not calling “wildcat” plays on 3rd and 8 like Jeff Davidson it’s an upgrade.

15. CKL says: Jan 18, 2011 1:30 AM

Not sure about this hire. Is the guy keeping Scherer? IIRC they were together in Cle. For the sake of the QBs there I hope not.

16. patfic15 says: Jan 18, 2011 7:35 PM

The Billy Volek idea actually isnt too bad…ever since he helped me win my FF championship in 04, I ve waited him for him to shine once more..