Vikings offer Huey running backs coach job

G. Huey

Fired after 19 years with the Colts, running backs coach Gene Huey didn’t have to wait long for another offer.

Leslie Frazier of the Vikings offered Huey a job coaching the running backs in Minnesota, according to Phil Richards of the Indianapolis Star.  Huey coached up Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James, Joseph Addai and many others in Indianapolis.

Huey thanked owner Jim Irsay for keeping him through three head coaching changes.   He’s not sure whether he wants to uproot his family after being in one place for so long.

Minnesota is looking for a new tutor for Adrian Peterson because Eric Bieniemy left the team for his alma mater Colorado University.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
9 Responses to “Vikings offer Huey running backs coach job”
  1. deeppurple23 says: Jan 19, 2011 10:49 AM

As far as I can see, only Edgerrin James was truly successful as a Colt. I was never crazy about Bieniemy as a coach. I hope this works out for AP

2. jstrizzle says: Jan 19, 2011 11:00 AM

Well, I can only assume after having Peyton Manning that he knows how to teach his RBs to catch as pass block.

Once I saw he got fired I figured that Frazier would be calling his name.

3. ThatGuy says: Jan 19, 2011 11:14 AM

deeppurple23- Then your not seeing things correctly. With the exception of 96′ when Faulk was injured a bunch, he had 5 years of avging over 1500 APY and 10 TDS and made 3 probowls.

4. vikesfansteve says: Jan 19, 2011 11:31 AM

Duey & Luey weren’t available?

5. indycolt45 says: Jan 19, 2011 12:31 PM

Ah, the ignorance of youth.

In Indy, Marshall Faulk was a:

3 Time 2nd Team All-Pro Selection
    3 Time Pro Bowl Selection
    1 Time Pro Bowl MVP
    Offensive Rookie of the Year

And all we got for him was a 2nd (Mike Peterson) and a 4th (Brad Scioli). *sigh*

6. didiwags says: Jan 19, 2011 12:41 PM

When in the NFL you must move a lot!! I hope he takes the job it would be good for the Vikes!

7. supersuckers3 says: Jan 19, 2011 1:18 PM

The real question is why in the world would he take the job? Payroll checks are bouncing, roofs are collapsing. I mean your gonna be broke or dead!

8. cantarguefacts says: Jan 19, 2011 6:00 PM

@deeppurple

Umm, Faulk, Edge and Addai were all Pro Bowl backs, Rhodes rushed for over 1k with Huey as coach. James Mungro was a succesful situational back. Addai led the league in rushing his rookie season and helped win a super bowl, Edge led the NFL in rushing in both of his first two seasons. Idk Faulks stats but I dont think I need much as Indycolt gave those.

9. canadianvikingfaniii says: Jan 19, 2011 10:38 PM

He helped groom some really good backs in their first years, then the Colts decided they wouldn’t run the ball as long as Peyton was around and the Oline couldn’t run block at all when they tried as the years went on.

Hopefully he joins.