Why, of course: Bart Scott got his inspiration from Hulk Hogan

Comedy Central Roast Of David Hasselhoff - Show Getty Images

Bart’s Scott’s now immortal post-game interview with ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio was inspired by a surprising source.

Well, perhaps not that surprising if you thought enough about it.  Scott was a huge Hulk Hogan fan growing up.  Still is.

“To this day,” Scott’s mother told ESPNNewYork.com’s Ian O’Connor,  “you can’t tell Bart that wrestling isn’t real.”

Scott says he admired how Hogan changed wrestling.

“It wasn’t the fact that Hulk Hogan was a wrestler,” Scott  said. “What I took from it was that he was a trendsetter, no different from Ali or Babe Ruth.”

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News says that it’s been Scott’s lifelong goal to meet Hogan.   Well, O’Connor tracked down The Hulkster, who is now aware of Scott because of his post-game speech.

“I knew when Bart looked down the barrel of the camera he believed in himself and in what he was saying,” Hogan growled by phone.   “And that makes him a real dangerous man.”   (We don’t really know he growled, but it’s a safe bet, right?)

Hogan says the interview reminded him of one of his mid-80’s promos and that he could tell Scott watched wrestling. Heck, it may be a future career path for the declining linebacker.

“When his career’s over and he wants to make some real money, tell him to give me a call and we’ll break him in the right way,” Hogan said.

Two words come to mind: CAN’T WAIT!

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
34 Responses to “Why, of course: Bart Scott got his inspiration from Hulk Hogan”
  1. slickster35 says: Jan 21, 2011 3:52 PM

No wonder he comes off as a total moron.

It all makes perfect sense now.

2. toe4 says: Jan 21, 2011 3:54 PM

Bart Scott did you compare Hulk Hogan to Muhammad Ali and Babe Ruth with a straight face?

*shakes head in disbelief

3. skoobyfl says: Jan 21, 2011 3:54 PM

I met Hulkster in Tampa at the TB Lightning / NHL championship series, he was sitting right next to me. They kept putting the camera on him before he went up to a box. Before he left, he said see ya brother and I had a flashback of him saying that to Mean Gene, LOL. Nice guy.

4. uncommon1 says: Jan 21, 2011 3:56 PM

I find daily inspiration from Hulk Hogan, For starters, everyday in the shower I listen his walk-out song, “I AM A REAL AMERICAN!!!”

5. drunkendegenerate says: Jan 21, 2011 4:01 PM

CAN’T WAIT!

6. bspurloc says: Jan 21, 2011 4:01 PM

haha,
    that interview was 100% wrestling style, scanning left and right never focusing on the enemy….

I was laughing the whole time…. Sal could barely hold back the laughter…. classic

7. btowngetsdown says: Jan 21, 2011 4:02 PM

What’s up with the “declining linebacker” speak. He anchored the 1st and 3rd best defense in the league for two consecutive years.

8. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Jan 21, 2011 4:08 PM

I can feel your Patriots love coming through in this story. I love it.

9. cardiovascularendurance says: Jan 21, 2011 4:09 PM

Biases aside, that is freaking awesome!

10. elgaffo says: Jan 21, 2011 4:11 PM

while Bart Scott is doing interviews about his interview, and the Jets are still mad at the Patriots, the Steelers are preparing for a game.
    Steelers win 24-13.
    not a fan of either team

11. theoriginalcaptainmarvel says: Jan 21, 2011 4:12 PM

Hulk Hogan’s REAL AMERICAN is one of the greatest music videos of all time. I dare you to watch that and not be inspired. ROCK AND ROLL HOOCHIE KOO by Hogan, Okerlund, and Derringer is not far behind!

12. jasonculhane says: Jan 21, 2011 4:16 PM

What ya gonna do brother, when Bartholemania comes down on you!!

13. thevikes85 says: Jan 21, 2011 4:17 PM

Whatcha gonna do when bartamania runs wild on you??????Bart Scott shut up and just play football.If you hit someone as hard as you talk then i would be impressed

14. mataug says: Jan 21, 2011 4:17 PM

@uncommon1, ROFLMAO

15. birdobeamen says: Jan 21, 2011 4:19 PM

That interview by Bart Scott was one of the greatest post-game interviews I’ve ever seen. I wish more players would give these types of soundbites.

We definitely need some more Bart Scott-like promos in the NFL!

P.S. I hate the Jets.

16. spungy says: Jan 21, 2011 4:19 PM

Isn’t Hulk Hogan in TNA wrestling now? I guess by “real money” he means $30,000 a year. lol

17. gforce90 says: Jan 21, 2011 4:26 PM

Pittsburgh sucks! Hogan rules!

18. toe4 says: Jan 21, 2011 4:36 PM

Okay, I was a little bit amazed at the number of Hulk Hogan lovers. I hadn’t realized that wrestling was honest to goodness popular.

For a quick poll… if you like wrestling thumbs up to this… if you don’t then thumbs down.

19. kokoskmr says: Jan 21, 2011 4:51 PM

“I knew when Bart looked down the barrel of the camera he believed in himself and in what he was saying,” Hogan growled by phone. “And that makes him a real dangerous man.”

Truer words were NEVER spoken. I wish Bart had been a Raven last weekend. I think that a little of THAT attitude on the Ravens would have made a difference in that game.

Attention John Harbaugh: Watch Bart Scott’s postgame interview so you know what you want your players to be like next season!!!!

20. spungy says: Jan 21, 2011 4:56 PM

A quick search shows WWE Raws ratings on 1/17/11 as a 3.28 which they say equals 5 million viewers.

Another search puts MNF at 19 million viewers.

WWE is still pretty popular though.

21. jethro007 says: Jan 21, 2011 5:01 PM

Had to go back and watch the original video–now that I know Bart is a little Hulkster–Bart comes off much better and I can appreciate his zeal.

22. nickster2k says: Jan 21, 2011 5:13 PM

Maybe Scott’s speech will inspire Rex to shave his head and don the King Kong Bundy onesie for the game this week.

23. cleverbob says: Jan 21, 2011 5:51 PM

Got to give credit, that was hilarious.

24. firstclasspack says: Jan 21, 2011 6:00 PM

spungy says:
    Jan 21, 2011 4:19 PM

Google Hulk Hogan’s net worth. It’s about 32 Million. I’d say the “REAL MONEY”!!!

25. dotnukem says: Jan 21, 2011 6:09 PM

Bart Scott and his no-neck is awesome.. War Jets

26. againsville says: Jan 21, 2011 6:15 PM

The game this weekend wil have the two biggest idiots in the NFL on display. Bart Scott and Ike “swaggin” Taylor

27. toe4 says: Jan 21, 2011 7:32 PM

I had no idea that anyone watched wrestling. Let alone a 2:1 ratio of those that polled liking it over those that don’t.

That amazes me.

28. backindasaddle says: Jan 21, 2011 7:48 PM

Bart Scott is just a jealous, frustrated, and very angry guy. He also displays the IQ of an Ameba. I think his condition is caused by a chemical imbalance between brain cells and testosterone.

29. redgreen3b1 says: Jan 21, 2011 8:07 PM

I love wrestling, but between MNF & MNR. I will always watch MNF & DVR MNR!

30. theoriginalcaptainmarvel says: Jan 21, 2011 8:12 PM

If an NFL player wants to imitate Hulk Hogan, fine. When they start imitating Steve Austin, then we got problems.

31. jc1958coo says: Jan 21, 2011 9:04 PM

rex is rubbing off on his team. better back it up this week or it’s all for not! then what will you say! you dirty rats it was the refs! lol

32. palinforpresidentofnorthkorea says: Jan 21, 2011 9:24 PM

Bart jacked up Ben a few years ago. He just needs to remind Ben and the Steelers are toast.

33. drgfri says: Jan 21, 2011 10:22 PM

Can’t tell him wrestling isn’t real eh? Apparently Bart Scott is retarted…..

34. couldntthinkofaname says: Jan 22, 2011 12:40 AM

Not a Pitt fan, but I CAN’T WAIT for the Steelers to send the Jets and their mouths home for the season.

Seriously, can any non-Jet fan stand listening to Coach Footlicker run his mouth for two weeks?