Packers installed as favorites for Super Bowl

A. RodgersMcCarthy

Just about everyone associated with the Super Bowl is thrilled that the Packers are facing the Steelers.

Both teams travel very well, which should help the businesses in Dallas surrounding the game.  Tickets will go for more money and television ratings will be higher.  Oh, and there will be plenty of money wagered on these two very “public” teams for the big game.

The Packers have been installed as favorites over the Steelers for Super Bowl XLV.  The line opened at 2 points in most places and quickly went up to 2.5 or 3 based on early betting.   This is expected to settle in as the lowest point spread since Redskins-Broncos.

The Packers were the No. 6 seed in the NFC, but coach Mike McCarthy likes say they are no one’s underdogs.   They were a trendy pick to win it all before the season, and they will enter the Super Bowl as slight favorites to win.

Permalink 78 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
78 Responses to “Packers installed as favorites for Super Bowl”
  1. youboettcha says: Jan 23, 2011 11:17 PM

Can’t wait!!!

2. therealjcannon says: Jan 23, 2011 11:17 PM

Everyone knows this is gonna be major motivation amo for Mike Tomlin right?

3. scytherius says: Jan 23, 2011 11:18 PM

Should be one of the great SBs.

4. gdonz14 says: Jan 23, 2011 11:18 PM

Favre is so pissed.

5. joerevs300 says: Jan 23, 2011 11:18 PM

Well, there’s a shock.

The big winner? Vegas, as usual :)

6. thehatefulnerd says: Jan 23, 2011 11:19 PM

And then next year, when we repeat, we’ll get more good players back from IR than most teams HAVE. Thanks Ted Thompson!
    Now draft a punt returner.

7. wtf2812 says: Jan 23, 2011 11:20 PM

I’m kinda surprised that the Steelers are slight underdogs only because going into the conference title games the Steelers were the favorite – 8 to 5 – to win the Super Bowl. Guess the oddsmakers saw something in these two games to swing the other way.

Either way, this is gonna be a great game between two of the prouder, most successful and storied franchises in league history.

“Can’t wait!!”

8. jimmysee says: Jan 23, 2011 11:20 PM

Pervy’s brain is going to explode.

9. refsburgh says: Jan 23, 2011 11:20 PM

Hopefully the crew from the Seahawks Super Bowl will be officiating so I can wager plenty of money on the Steelers

10. skeebo80 says: Jan 23, 2011 11:21 PM

Packers D need to be read because you know the Steelers will be

11. carson9 says: Jan 23, 2011 11:21 PM

How?? Their Run Offense was horrible during the regular season and their offensive line is suspect. It will be close, but I don’t see any way in h-ll the Packers could be favored.

12. techvet says: Jan 23, 2011 11:22 PM

That’s bizarre – I thought I just read a story saying the Steelers with opening as 1.5 pt favorites.

13. halftermguv says: Jan 23, 2011 11:22 PM

I prefer that the Steelers are the underdog, better for motivation. Two great fan bases get to party in Jerry Jones’ new stadium.

Go Steelers!

14. ckacv111 says: Jan 23, 2011 11:22 PM

Gregg, your love for the Packers is un’bear’able

15. jrmbadger says: Jan 23, 2011 11:23 PM

I would have thought the other way.

16. tominmilwaukee says: Jan 23, 2011 11:23 PM

As a Packer fan, i see this game going either way……

But damn, A-Rod and Co. are going to love that turf down in Dallas…… Could be the X-Factor……

Btw…… Eat crow all you TT/MM haters…. You know who you are….. Still think we should have kept Brett??

One word: Redemption……

17. eaglesdynasty says: Jan 23, 2011 11:28 PM

The smart money would go to the Steelers and the 3 points

Nothing against the Packers—they have played great, have a QB that imo is emerging as the best in the NFL and have a tenacious defense—but the Steelers overall have the defensive advantage both in personell and coaching and the experience they have in the Super Bowl is very important. Big Ben will be playing in his third Super Bowl already and plenty of Steelers key players have SB experience, many playing in 2 as well.

the coaching, defensive and experience advantage makes the Steelers the favorite in my mind and I would take the Steelers +3 to the BANK!

18. Deb says: Jan 23, 2011 11:28 PM

I’m good with that. The two teams are well-matched, but the Packers have had three decisive road wins. Besides, I get nervous when my team is favored. Preferring going in as the underdog.

19. firethorn1001 says: Jan 23, 2011 11:28 PM

Meh. It is just where the money is going. Vegas tries to split it 50/50.

Throw enough money at it and you could make a Pee Wee football team the favorite against an NFL team.

20. goawayeverybody says: Jan 23, 2011 11:29 PM

If the Packers win the Super Bowl it will be an absolute vindication for their organization for getting rid of the self-absorbed overrated diva that is Brett Favre.

21. tomnickle says: Jan 23, 2011 11:30 PM

If you want an explanation on the line it’s due to the Steelers road loss in the only dome game they played this season at New Orleans where they lost 20-10 I believe. And you can couple that with Rodgers channeling Steve Young in Atlanta two weeks ago and his tremendous success(and Mike McCarthy’s) in dome stadiums.

22. giablommi says: Jan 23, 2011 11:30 PM

Couple of top notch, legendary franchises in the Bowl, can’t ask for more than that. Seeing how the league must be loving that, hopefully the league will refrain from fixing the outcome a la SB XL.

23. packfannchitown says: Jan 23, 2011 11:31 PM

Wow really? I’d have thought after today’s games the Steelers would be favored.

Gonna be a great game though!

24. dumbaseinstien says: Jan 23, 2011 11:34 PM

No problem. The Steelers have been the underdog in every game since last year…if you listen to the media.

25. andyprough says: Jan 23, 2011 11:36 PM

26. deadlyjudas says: Jan 23, 2011 11:37 PM

Freakin awesome. I’m a huge Packer fan, but I’ve got nothing but respect for the Steelers.

It was fantastic to beat the Bears to get there too. I hope McCarthy will start to get the respect I think he deserves now. Coach of the year imho.

Packers/Steelers Superbowl hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. dirtdawg55 says: Jan 23, 2011 11:39 PM

Good luck Pack fans. Rodgers is the real deal and your team has shown moxie with all the guys on IR. Your team is being held together with baling wire and duct tape and it keeps on winning.

I’m rooting for the Steelers but props to your team. A Steelers loss (and you know I cant predict one being a fan of the team) would be tempered by the fact Rodgers would have as many SB wins as Brett Favre. As sweet as that wold be, I would rather see us win our seventh and lay claim to our third SB in the last six years putting the slam down on pretty much every team in the league for all of their Big Ben karma talk. That and watching Pats fans seethe as we restart the debate over team of the decade. Doesnt it seem like so long ago for them and their great dynasty?

28. krow101 says: Jan 23, 2011 11:42 PM

No way the Packers are the fav…. no way.

29. dolphins4 says: Jan 23, 2011 11:49 PM

I hate seeing the same team in the Superbowl all the time so go Green Bay.

30. mataug says: Jan 23, 2011 11:49 PM

31. gdonz14 says: Jan 23, 2011 11:51 PM

Rodgers’ subtle n sly “mini-belt” move after his TD scramble was coolest TD celebration all year…

32. cytofed says: Jan 23, 2011 11:55 PM

Mike Nolan did not listen to Mike McCarthy when he wanted to draft Aaron Rodgers over Alex smith and mike singletary did not listen to mike martz when martz want to pass and aggressive on offense. It look as if your name is mike and you coach the ninners you are hard headed, can not coexist with coaches that are better than you and eventually this led to your down fall. How in the hell did the ninners allow these two great coach “Nolan and singletary” to make these geniuses is beyond believed. Way to go mikes and A-rod!

33. steelernation1 says: Jan 23, 2011 11:56 PM

you dont make the Steelers underdogs.that is bad news for Packers..will be a great game but i believe the steelers have the edge..one the D side of it if the packers cant run the ball game over..

if the packers D cant contain Big Ben they are doomed…the steelers will be healthy when the SB comes around

but it will be a great game

34. jusford says: Jan 23, 2011 11:59 PM

The key to the game for the Pack, stop the run and put Bishop on Miller.
    The key to the game for the Steelers, hope the Packers play poorly.

35. juancorsair says: Jan 24, 2011 12:06 AM

andyprough says:

Whoever placed Hanie behind Collins on the depth chart should be fired immediately.

As for besting mediocrity, did the Steelers just barely beat the Ravens last week? IIRC, Baltimore fell apart after running the score up on the Black and Gold. As such, I wouldn’t be calling out the competition just yet.

36. scytherius says: Jan 24, 2011 12:09 AM

Meh, no one cares about a Vegas line,especially the players. These guys are too professional. A Vegas line affects no one.

37. steelerzzzrule says: Jan 24, 2011 12:15 AM

Steelers by at least 10

38. tonymission says: Jan 24, 2011 12:23 AM

Don’t forget Cutler was 6 of 14 with a passer rating of 33 something.

As much as I hear about knee-gate, Rodgers not playing his best, and how good the Bears defense is … it wasn’t even close who had the best defense in this game.

Shields + Woodson + Williams > Revis + Cromartie + Wilson

39. mactator says: Jan 24, 2011 12:23 AM

Thank you Ted Thompson for the great work!!! I wonder where are all the MM and TT haters out there!?! From your track record, you shouldn’t be betting on this game at all!!!

Oh and…. how does getting rid of that annoying Primadonna look now?

hahahahahahahha!

Go Pack Go!

40. andalohameansgoodbye says: Jan 24, 2011 12:32 AM

I love all the people who think being underdogs will motivate the Steelers more. It’s the Super Bowl. Motivation is already maxed out.

41. leroysbutler says: Jan 24, 2011 12:39 AM

Jerry Jones got what he wanted – America’s Team in the Super Bowl.

42. packerbacker12 says: Jan 24, 2011 12:42 AM

“The Pack barely beat a mediocre team with its 3rd string qb today. Super Bowl favorites? I guess it will work in the Steelers’ favor to be the “underdogs” – although I doubt they need the motivation.”

The Packers clearly manhandled Jay Cutler before he got hurt. They also dominated Matt Ryan last week and then ended Michael Vick’s dream season the week before.

So don’t go off and say the Packers barely beat a team playing a 3rd string QB because, like I said, the Packers have been able to stop Vick, Ryan and Cutler in consecutive weeks without any rest.

43. Nevis says: Jan 24, 2011 1:03 AM

Steelers haven’t faced a legit offense all postseason. Packers defense is enough to slow down Mendenhall and Ben.

If Rodgers is on point, he will exploit the Steelers blitzes.

Steelers will need turnovers to win.

44. Nevis says: Jan 24, 2011 1:05 AM

PS – Vegas is not “the media”.

SMDH…

45. idriveamoped says: Jan 24, 2011 3:08 AM

VEGAS doesn’t predict a winner. They merely predict a score that will send the betting in a frenzy. What better way to do that, than to put the Steelers as the underdogs.

This will cause a rush to the line, soon the Steelers will be the favorites. As long as the odds can be even on both sides, Vegas is a winner. That is what they are trying to predict.

46. iluvwikileaks says: Jan 24, 2011 5:17 AM

YIPEE!!! I can’t believe it! If someone told me the Steelers would have made it to the Super Bowl before the season started, I wouldn’t have believed them. Because of the off-the-field issues and Roethlisberger’s 4 game suspension.

But, now…here we are….again!

Should be a good game. Packers have always been one of my favorite teams since I was young. But, I’ve got to say…

GO STEELERS!!!

And, I love the fact these two foes of the Cowboys are playing for the championship in their own back yard in Dallas:)

GO STEELERS!!!

47. revolution22 says: Jan 24, 2011 5:28 AM

“ha ha Brett Favre there’s nothing you can do now to take the headlines away from the Packers”

He could off someone, and then go out in a blaze of glory. Short of that, you’re right.

48. chrisbermansdoublechin says: Jan 24, 2011 5:53 AM

WHO is Tom Jackson picking? Then you go with the other team, b/c TJ is so good at getting it wrong

49. notoriusbug says: Jan 24, 2011 6:07 AM

“Favre is so pissed.

I doubt it. He will be sitting in Hattiesburg watching the Super Bowl in his Wranglers laughing as the Steelers win their 3rd SB in the last 6 years. He might be so excited he will whip out little Brett and send Jimmy Smith a few text messages….

50. notoriusbug says: Jan 24, 2011 6:10 AM

@mactator – how does getting rid of that annoying Primadonna look now?

Getting to the Super Bowl is nothing…you gotta win it first…if the packers do not win it, then the season is just as much a failure as the Vikings season, the Lions season, or the Rams season…

51. tdl8 says: Jan 24, 2011 6:52 AM

GB vs. PIT, Jerry Jones’ ego induced Steroid Stadium and all those annoying band wagon terrible toilet paper wavers coming out of the woodworks after hiding for 2 years talking about 7 SB rings because they don’t know anything else about “their” team! I hope the commercials are good because the game will suck!
    I will skip it all and wait to watch all the best commercials online the next day so I don’t have to DVR it and fast forward through the game just to watch the commercials!

52. teal379 says: Jan 24, 2011 6:57 AM

As a Packer fan – just happy to be going to Dallas.

I can honestly say – I don’t care if GB is favored or the dog or we lose by 21 points. None of that would have sucked as much as losing to the Bears.

It’s the Superbowl – weird things do happen but to have to listen to the Bears’ fans talk crap for the next 70 years woulda been the worst thing.

Hats off the GB – they played well enough to win and I am GLAD Aaron didn’t have an out of his mind game. He had to become human sooner or later and usually after a bad one – he comes back pretty good. That’s going to be Dallas. I can live with that.

53. hoopsdoc says: Jan 24, 2011 7:15 AM

Steelers should win this game. They have more balance and, most importantly, more Super Bowl EXPERIENCE, which is BIG.

However, the Packers are the hottest team in the world right now, thanks in large part to Rogers.

Should be a great game. I can’t wait.

54. JimmySmith says: Jan 24, 2011 7:40 AM

“The Pack barely beat a mediocre team with its 3rd string qb”

That’s because they have plenty of experience beating mediocre teams with 3rd string QB’s like the Vikings and Lions.

55. ham1 says: Jan 24, 2011 7:55 AM

Great season. I just hope the Cowgirls dont lose at their home stadium. Its uncanny how the media pick of the Cowgirls as the season opened was right on target. I sure would hate to see some other team piss all over that star ya know. Way to represent cowgirls.

56. hazelmn says: Jan 24, 2011 8:19 AM

All I can say is…..wow.

This thread has no fewer than 10 posts focused on Brett Favre, someone who hasn’t played with the Packers for three full seasons.

While Packer fans should be excited to have their team in the Super Bowl, this is still about one of thier ex-players. Unbelievable.

Any other fan base would have moved on by now.

57. angrycorgi says: Jan 24, 2011 8:28 AM

“A ton of money will come in on Green Bay. The line will move to 3 or 3.5. Then a ton of money will come in on the Steelers.”
    —-
    I doubt it…steelers fans are notoriously poor and cheap and are all placing <$100 bets…there is rumor that all the Motel 6s in the DFW are will be booked for SB weekend…

58. trickbunny says: Jan 24, 2011 8:28 AM

therealjcannon says:
    Jan 23, 2011 11:17 PM

Everyone knows this is gonna be major motivation amo for Mike Tomlin right?
    —————————————————

First, it’s “ammo”- not “amo”. Ugh.

Second, duh. There has to be a favorite, doesn’t there? Isn’t there a team favored to win in most games. No one is “dissing” Pittsburgh by making Green Bay the favorite. They are because they’ve typically been a bit more powerful of a team this year.

So NO, I don’t think Tomlin will be all motivated by not being picked the favorite. He plain knows his team isn’t the favorite and that it’s not a “dis” to call the Packers the favorite.

Jeez, Steeler fans feel so entitled. They’re even entitled to find BS “motivation” and “disrespect” where there is none.

59. geezohman says: Jan 24, 2011 8:33 AM

the point spread is based on the ‘money’ being bet. if too much money on one team, then more point given too KEEP the odds EVEN for Vegas to WIN no matter WHAT team wins… duh

THis will be a good game…

I wish the Steeler Center did not get hurt… that would have really be a great game last name…

boo hoo… J-E-T-S…

Just Elimaniated their Season

60. jc1958coo says: Jan 24, 2011 8:38 AM

all those bear fans thought chicago + 3.5 was a good bet! don’t you steeler fans do the same thing! no way can pittsburg match up if green bay goes 4 or 5 wide!

61. SteelTown6 says: Jan 24, 2011 8:39 AM

tdl8 says: Jan 24, 2011 6:52 AM

“I will skip it all…”

You will not be missed.

62. aaronitout12 says: Jan 24, 2011 8:39 AM

andyprough says:

=====================================

Yeah, we only beat the #1, #2, and #3 seeds, in their house. I also don’t agree on us being favored, simply because of the Steelers Super Bowl experience. But has nothing to do with the competition we played!

GO PACK GO!

63. hazelmn says: Jan 24, 2011 8:43 AM

One other thing…. I agree this SuperBowl is good for football, to have two historic teams squaring off like this. Having the Jets or the Bears in the game would have been equally good for football. This was a can’t-miss championship weekend for the casual football fan.

64. themage78 says: Jan 24, 2011 8:47 AM

Please let the Steelers loose. This will be better then seeing the Pats go 18-1.
    Rothesliberger isn’t a good QB, and that was shown last night when the RBs had more yards then him. He made plays with his legs? Only Vick should be doing that that often. Great QBs win by throwing the hard balls, which Ben has done very infrequently in his career.
    Steelers Defense and running game won the day last night, just barely. Ben? Wow. he ran a couple times when the field was wide open and hit some passes that anyone who could hit the broad side of a barn could make.

65. stairwayto7 says: Jan 24, 2011 9:02 AM

A 3rd string QB rippsm the Pack def for 2 tds and 130 yds in 1 quarter, what will Ben do!
    Pitt 38 Packers 28

66. hazelmn says: Jan 24, 2011 9:34 AM

—————————–

I’d pick Rodgers for my fantasy team any day. He can put up the stats. But in a real game, give me Ben. They guy has the mojo to do what it takes to win big games, even if his numbers aren’t pretty.

It is more important to get the 1st down when you need it than put up top-tier fantasy numbers.

67. gregjennings85 says: Jan 24, 2011 9:52 AM

I love the entire NFL right now. Numb.

68. pervyharvin says: Jan 24, 2011 10:09 AM

How the hell can they be favorites???? Caleb Hanie almost beat them!!!! I swear, how dumb are some people??

69. janvanflac says: Jan 24, 2011 10:53 AM

Anyone notice that whoever wears their “home” jerseys always loses? I can’t remember when the SB winner wasn’t wearing their white away jersey.
    So i’m picking whoever is the “away” team.

70. Beer Cheese Soup says: Jan 24, 2011 11:01 AM

pervyharvin says:

____________

Packers are favorites because the two best teams already met, and they won.

I can only imagine how depressed you must be right now, Pervy. Try to focus on something good in your life, something besides your undying disdain for the NFL’s most successful franchise to date.

Surely you must have a hobby, or friends, or something? Anything besides spewing your meaningless ire on this site?

71. macaracoon says: Jan 24, 2011 11:18 AM

As a Vikings fan, all I can say is…

Go Pack!

As far as I’m concerned, if the Vikings aren’t in the postseason, I’m an NFC North fan.

Go squish Roethlisberger.

As a matter of no real relevance, here’s Google Chrome’s ideas on what I meant to type when I typed “Roethlisberger”:
    “Koenigsberg”
    “Sulzberger”
    “Trichloroethane”
    “Nonbelligerent”

72. Deb says: Jan 24, 2011 11:47 AM

Beer Cheese Soup says @ pervyharvin …

————————————————

Funny … that’s what I always think about you when you’re ranting your insane conspiracy theories about the Steelers.

73. maddogwhite says: Jan 24, 2011 12:09 PM

Steelers are the road team in the Super Bowl. They will be wearing the white jerseys. Steelers are 3-0 in white jerseys and 3-1 in black. I personally prefer them wearing white and being underdogs helps even more. They were a better road team then home team this year.

74. hazelmn says: Jan 24, 2011 12:32 PM

I used to think that way too. But then I moved to an area where I actually lived around Packer fans, and I changed my ways.

You can pull for the Packer fans in the Superbowl. If they win, you won’t get a “thanks, bud, for pulling for the Pack. We NFC northers gotta stick together!”

No, you’ll get some classless insults about how your team sucks so back and their team walks on water, and then some incoherent rant about Favre.

I can’t say the same for the Bears fans — they tend to be a little more classy. That is why I pulled for the Bears yesterday and I will probably be pulling for the Steelers in two weeks.

I like Rodgers, Clay, Woodson, love Driver. Just can’t stand those obnoxious fans.

75. jimmysee says: Jan 24, 2011 12:49 PM

Packers didn’t care about the Super Bowl — this was payback for 1941.

76. gregjennings85 says: Jan 24, 2011 2:21 PM

hazelmn:

I hear you, bud. I can’t stand Cowboys or Vikings fans, in that order. I guess I just think of the obnoxious ones I’ve know throughout my life.

That being said, you sound like a decent person. Trust me, the vast majority of us are alright.

It’s the outspoken ones (like me?) that most people don’t like.

I can assure you, I respect the game, first and foremost.

Examples:

1.) I would never want to see the Vikings leave Minnesota, like some so-called Packers fans will rant on about. To me, that would hurt the NFL brand, the entire midwest region, and businesses in all neighboring states. Keep the Vikes in Minnesota (Now, that aside, I hope you lose every game the Packers and Vikes play, ever).

2.) I hate the Bears, but in a respectful way; people forget, were it not for George Halas’ financial backing (And, more specifically a sizeable loan) the Packers would have folded long before they Championship after Championship.

77. snow52480 says: Jan 24, 2011 3:00 PM

The Packers being ‘ravaged’ by injuries is the most overblown story possibly in league history…
    Outside of Jermichael Finley who have they really lost?
    Ryan Grant? Having the fresh legs of Duane Starks will benefit Green Bay.
    Nick Barnett? At this stage of his career Desmond Bishop is a far better player.
    In all honesty, the Packers have remained fairly healthy this year to their key players. Losing the likes of Spencer Havner doesn’t constitute ravaged by injuries……

78. steelernation1 says: Jan 25, 2011 11:37 AM

Nevis says: Jan 24, 2011 1:03 AM

Steelers haven’t faced a legit offense all postseason.

lol the Steelers Defense can make any good offense look bad…1 the packers have the 24th run offense in the NFL,Steelers have number one defense against the run..that alone my friend will spell disaster for Packers.Big ben on the other side of the ball doesnt have the best pass rating in playoffs but,he knows how to win games,he showed that against the Jets…i doubt Packers can contain him