After leaning Jets, Cowher picked Steelers

Bill Cowher

On Friday, MDS pointed out recent comments from former Steelers coach Bill Cowher, while appearing on WFAN in New York.

“The way the Jets are playing, I’m telling you this is going to be a game, I think it will be a classic game, and I like the Jets,” Cowher said.  “They match up well.  I think it’s going to be a tough ball game, but they certainly have all the ingredients to go to the Super Bowl.”

The remark prompted a response from receiver Hines Ward.  “He can pick whoever he wants,” Ward said.  “Coach Cowher’s not our coach anymore.  Guess we have to prove him wrong, too.”

But Cowher apparently wasn’t picking the Jets.  As The NFL Today came to a conclusion on Sunday, Cowher made his official prediction.

“I like Pittsburgh in this game,” Cowher said.  “Like I said earlier in the week, the New York Jets they have a team to go to the Super Bowl, but they got a team they’re going against here that’s got more experience and I think they’re playing just as well.  I like Pittsburgh.”

By referring to what he said “earlier in the week,” Cowher apparently was referring to what he told WFAN.  And while some may think he wasn’t sufficiently clear that he wasn’t actually picking the Jets, the bottom line is that he officially picked the Steelers before the game started — and he got it right.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
13 Responses to “After leaning Jets, Cowher picked Steelers”
  1. jarrman46 says: Jan 24, 2011 10:23 PM

Awesome With his game picking talents that means my Packers are going to roll !!

2. wehager says: Jan 24, 2011 10:27 PM

And Sanchez picked his nose. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EHtttx6P7kg
    does not matter.

3. hobartbaker says: Jan 24, 2011 10:39 PM

On Monday Bill clarified the remarks he made earlier in the week about the Bears beating the Packers, and correctly forecast a Pittsburgh/Green Bay SB.

4. baddegg says: Jan 24, 2011 11:05 PM

My head hurts.

5. ampatsisahypocrite says: Jan 24, 2011 11:13 PM

A lot of this nonsense can be traced back to that clown Carton on the WFAN morning show. You know, the same guy who said the Steelers had no shot and would lose 23-0 to the Jets. Brilliant!

6. ccooww says: Jan 24, 2011 11:48 PM

Cowher should just shut his trap. The guy is not very smart with his comments. He will never land another HC job.

7. jc1958coo says: Jan 24, 2011 11:55 PM

cowher doesn’t have a clue! either get back in or shut it, oh he’s waiting for the right opportunity!

8. Deb says: Jan 25, 2011 12:31 AM

@jarrman46 …

You’re getting ahead of yourself. These guys are still talking about Cowher’s pick for the AFC Championship. He hasn’t said anything yet about the Super Bowl.

Hey, Mike, if you really want to have fun, you should get some quotes from Bradshaw. Love him as the once-great Steelers QB but can’t condone his petty jealousy of Roethlisberger. His nose is so far out of joint it rounds corners five minutes before he does.

9. contract says: Jan 25, 2011 1:20 AM

“Possibly after giving the Steelers some Tom Jackson-style motivation by creating the impression that he was picking the Jets.”

Except that in his case that probably was his motivation. He’s long gone, but he still bleeds black and gold, and will until the day he drops dead. :)

10. iluvwikileaks says: Jan 25, 2011 5:06 AM

As a Steelers fan, I can honestly say Cowher is now showing me why he underachieved in Pittsburgh. Only 2 Super Bowl appearences and 1 win. But, a bunch of AFC Championship losses. He had a dynasty of players but kind of fell short in accomplishments. Then, suddenly skipped town. Or, perhaps, he is just dumbing himself down to the level or Boomer, Shannon or even Tom Jackson. I don’t know.

I’m just getting sick of Cowher. That’s all.

11. footballfan says: Jan 25, 2011 8:05 AM

Cowher was a great regular season coach but sucked in the playoffs. As soon as the regular season ended all of the things that got him there went away. He would take a brutal defense and get all conservative with it. He would run trick plays during the season and forget them in the playoffs. The one year he decides to leave it alone, he wins the SB.

I think he plays too much Martyball, who groomed him for the job……

12. steellady says: Jan 25, 2011 8:34 AM

iluvwikileaks says: Jan 25, 2011 5:06 AM

Cowher didnt run from anything… He left to be with his sick wife…I commend him for it. He left what he loved to be with the woman he loved .. she needed him more than we did or the Nfl.Maybe the world wouldnt be such a mess if more people put those they love ahead of everything else.

Cowher will always be a Steeler..No matter where he lands a job.People need to move on tho,this is Tomlin n Lebeaus team now. HERE WE GO STEELERS,HERE WE GO!!!

13. Steeler's Will says: Jan 25, 2011 9:20 AM

Cowher’s good in my book. I’d LOVE to see him coach a division rival just for the Cowher vs. Tomlin showdown. Make it SO Bungles!