Herschel Walker says he’s thinking about a comeback

In a move that is either a publicity stunt or proof positive of the perils of concussions, 48-year-old former NFL running back Herschel Walker says that he’s thinking about returning to the field.

“I’ve told everyone that at 50 I might try football again to show people I can do that,” Walker said Monday in a conference call aimed at promoting an MMA event in which he’ll be participating, according to Franklin McNeill of ESPN.com.  “I want to be the George Foreman of football, come back and do that one more time.”

Walker says he’s in better shape now than when he played in the NFL.  “I’m a much better-conditioned athlete now than when I was playing football,” Walker said. “I’m 48 and in better shape now than I was when I was in my early 20s, playing football.”

And he already has his two teams selected.

“The two teams I would come back to play for are Minnesota or Atlanta,” Walker said. “It would probably be Atlanta because that’s home for me.”

This time around, the Vikings presumably could get Walker for slightly less than they gave up to secure his services 21-plus years ago.

Though he likely won’t be playing football any time soon, he’ll be engaging in his second MMA fight on Saturday night in California, 52 weeks after Walker made his debut — on the same night and in the same location that Jets coach Rex Ryan fired off a $50,000 middle finger to Dolphins fans.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
59 Responses to “Herschel Walker says he’s thinking about a comeback”
  1. facebook.com/joesimmonscomic AKA Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Jan 24, 2011 11:01 PM

I think “delusional” is the word you’re looking for here.

2. godellgetalife says: Jan 24, 2011 11:05 PM

REALLY???

3. nepatriots128154 says: Jan 24, 2011 11:05 PM

I think the Vikings have had enough of 40+ year olds returning for one last shot.

4. effthaeffinjetsgofins says: Jan 24, 2011 11:06 PM

lol Athletes are so full of themselves…

5. hobartbaker says: Jan 24, 2011 11:07 PM

Hershel credits his improving 40 times to his new walker.

6. coachstram says: Jan 24, 2011 11:12 PM

Have you seen this guy?

If anyone could, it’s him.

7. duanethomas says: Jan 24, 2011 11:13 PM

He can play on the Snickers team with Betty White and. Abe Vigoda.

8. jethro007 says: Jan 24, 2011 11:23 PM

C’mon Man!

9. soia311 says: Jan 24, 2011 11:27 PM

It’s gotta be the shoes (Shape-Ups).

10. luckyhole says: Jan 24, 2011 11:28 PM

No, Minnesota, we insist.

11. blindofficial says: Jan 24, 2011 11:30 PM

For what they payed for him he should still be playing for them.

12. buffbill235 says: Jan 24, 2011 11:35 PM

I wouldn’t be shocked if someone brought him in as a way to sell tickets and bring media attention, to bad for him neither of those teams need that.

13. tbssic says: Jan 24, 2011 11:39 PM

Teams have tryouts every year…
    All he has to do is show up…..
    Maybe his mind is writing checks his a$$ can’t cash…
    Maybe not……

14. youboettcha says: Jan 24, 2011 11:39 PM

I would love it if were to try-out for the Falcons or Vikings, and blow them away, and sign a contract, and make it through final cuts, and rush for 800 yards and 6 TDs.

15. pghguyy says: Jan 24, 2011 11:39 PM

this is gonna be ugly.

16. nfl4ever says: Jan 24, 2011 11:45 PM

There’s nothing wrong with playing contact sports in your mid to late 40′s, especially if you need a paycheck!

Signed, Evander Holyfield

17. jc1958coo says: Jan 24, 2011 11:49 PM

i think he should play for the same team as favre!! over the hill league, no rules and free cheer leaders!

18. Robert says: Jan 24, 2011 11:54 PM

Walker=Los Angeles Vikings

19. hardjudge says: Jan 25, 2011 12:01 AM

Haven’t we heard this before from Jim Brown?

20. whodeykid says: Jan 25, 2011 12:12 AM

Looks like Herschel Walker got himself some Sketcher’s Shape Ups.

21. thevikes85 says: Jan 25, 2011 12:15 AM

PLEASE this time around,DON’T sign him!!

22. thehatefulnerd says: Jan 25, 2011 12:15 AM

Didn’t Jim Brown talk about a comeback when Payton took his all time rushing records in the mid 80s?
    Maybe Walker has a 20-something alter personality. Maybe one of them is a young Jim Brown.

23. hobartbaker says: Jan 25, 2011 12:20 AM

Hersh’s wife says he has to finish cleaning up the garage like he promised when he retired, before he can think of making a comeback.

24. andyprough says: Jan 25, 2011 12:22 AM

Dude runs a 4.35 40 and still does 2500 situps and 2500 pushups every morning – BEFORE he starts working out for the day

I know that no NFL team would sign him, but don’t doubt the man that he could play if given the chance

25. Deb says: Jan 25, 2011 12:23 AM

I doubt we’ll see Walker in the NFL–especially not in Minnesota. But I would love to see him working out with the rest of this year’s hopefuls at the Combine. If he’s serious about being in better shape now than when he played, let’s see his numbers.

26. coffinberry says: Jan 25, 2011 12:27 AM

Go Herschell! Don’t let the hoopleheads hiding behind their keyboards bring you down…

27. FinFan68 says: Jan 25, 2011 12:30 AM

He has a better shot at playing for Donald Trump’s New Jersey Generals 30 year USFL reunion tour than he does of making an NFL squad.

28. murraysons says: Jan 25, 2011 12:45 AM

running backs are done by 34 max, usually by 31, 32. but 48? nope. just a publicity thing. its a shame Hershel wasn’t around nowadays, he deserves big money unlike many first round busts we’ve seen.

29. Darth Goodell says: Jan 25, 2011 12:59 AM

If Herschel wants to be the George Foreman of the NFL, then he should forget about sports and go hawk kitchen appliances on TV. It’s over dude.

30. badcallsfootball says: Jan 25, 2011 1:17 AM

It would be great to see him try. If he can’t play then nobody will sign him, but nothing wrong with giving it a shot.

31. claysp42 says: Jan 25, 2011 1:36 AM

He couldn’t play much worse than Favre did this year…

32. contract says: Jan 25, 2011 1:37 AM

Herschel is a freak, but someone has to stop him before he hurts himself. Jim Brown convinced himself that he still had it and embarrassed himself on a stupid made for TV showdown with Franco Harris.

33. jesuscakes says: Jan 25, 2011 2:34 AM

I would love to see him try. I really hope he can pull it off. It would be the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

34. blitzdorsey says: Jan 25, 2011 2:39 AM

Ha! Nice dig M-Flo. I like! (Vikings having to give up less this time for Hershel.)

35. Grulks says: Jan 25, 2011 3:08 AM

Let me get this straight, you couldn’t continue doing this when you were 30, but now you want to do it when you’re almost 50??

36. svenhoek86 says: Jan 25, 2011 3:32 AM

There is no way this guy should be anywhere near a football field. He’s already brain damaged enough apparently.

37. dariusmyles says: Jan 25, 2011 4:44 AM

for those of you all who dont know. Herschel Walker is in the best shape of his life. google him, check out how great of shape he is in! he’s in better shape than those half of his age that are in the NFL right now. Not to mention his workout routine for decades has not indluded weights, thus preserving his body, bones, and joints. Dont think he’s just some washed up old ex athlete. Im not saying he will come back and lead the NFL in rushing…but like coachstram said….if any body can, it would be Herschel Walker.

38. cup0pizza says: Jan 25, 2011 4:57 AM

Dude’s in better shape than 99% of current players.

39. canadianvikingfaniii says: Jan 25, 2011 6:27 AM

Can he play quarterback?

40. mannyicey says: Jan 25, 2011 6:34 AM

First of all, it was a joke.

But he was on a conference call, promoting his MMA event. MMA is that sport that NFL players dabble with to get in shape. This old guy is winning MMA matches!

Here’s my take (If this was Jim Rome, and I lived in a city that actually gets his show):

If Herchel Walker would like to play fullback for a team, he will play fullback for a team. He’s going to come into camp in shape, he’s got a new MMA motor and he’s cheap.

41. cosmicduster says: Jan 25, 2011 7:09 AM

Too many headshots?

42. tombrookshire says: Jan 25, 2011 7:25 AM

I am a big Herschel fan, but it is just getting silly now. I wish he would find something in a front office somewhere befitting his fame and settle nicely into it. He doesn’t need to prove anything. But what he is proving is that some guys never quite transition from star athlete to just a guy. Maybe even some roles in some B flicks like Ahnolt. He is still cut.

43. coachietheman says: Jan 25, 2011 8:06 AM

I think you sign this guy, then trade him for like 3 first round picks, 3 second round picks, and Jesse Solomon.

44. theytukrjobs says: Jan 25, 2011 8:36 AM

This is a non-story until he tries out, and sticks, on someone’s practice squad at least.

45. mempusa says: Jan 25, 2011 8:51 AM

If there’s one 48 year old on the planet who can compete, it’s Herschel. IF he really runs a 4.35, it’s possible he could have an impact. However, he’s in for a rude awakening when he gets wacked crossing the line of scrimmage. That’s the true test.

How will he react? We can’t forget that despite all our criticism, these guys are in a class all by themselves. They’re half Herschel’s age, just as fast, strong and mentally trained to play the game. The game has changed significantly since he put pads on.

who knows? I’d love to see it.

46. abninf says: Jan 25, 2011 8:57 AM

He is a freak of nature. Be cool to see him try it.

47. boysroll says: Jan 25, 2011 8:58 AM

4skins will take him. they take all the washed up big names to sell tickets etc so weasel boy can line his pockets for another last place finish…whoa….whoa…whoa…

where are all those chump fans anyway talking trash that my boys suck etc….who finished last again chumps? LMFAO!!!!!!

48. njsteeler says: Jan 25, 2011 9:02 AM

You guys joking on Hershel are just mad because YOU couldn’t play in the NFL at 20 something! Have you seen the shape that this guy is in? I’m not saying he could be an every down back, but I think he is in good enough shape to at least give it a try.

49. whitecheddar33 says: Jan 25, 2011 9:12 AM

Being in great shape and a muscle head doesn’t guarantee you’ll even make the practice squad – just ask Lesnar!!

50. ejmat2 says: Jan 25, 2011 9:18 AM

If he is in great shape that’s great. But putting on pads and getting the snot beaten out of you playing football are 2 different things.

If he wants to make a comeback he has that right. Be a walk on somewhere. If he outshines the young guys sobeit. If not, at least he tried.

There is nothing hurt by him trying out for a squad. Believe me, the young guys on the field will do everything in their power to put him out. If he can pass that test then he deserves it.

51. chazzmon says: Jan 25, 2011 9:28 AM

He was one the best college backs ever but a an average NFL back in his 20′s. I’d love to see him try just for the whole crazy factor it would be interesting to see how far he got. Maybe the Vikes can get him back and trade him to Dallas for Troy Aikman.

52. tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says: Jan 25, 2011 9:57 AM

He couldn’t play when he was 27, how’s he going to play now?

53. oldbyrd says: Jan 25, 2011 9:59 AM

I would truly like to see it. It would be a tribute to what is possible for the human body when cared for.

54. breeshasabush says: Jan 25, 2011 10:00 AM

Saints need a RB

55. 30ptbuck says: Jan 25, 2011 10:33 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    I can see it now Viking fans saving their Meth habit money buying a Biilboard in Atlanta Ziggy willing to overpay a has been and fueling up his Jet, and Frazier puckering his lips and cleaning out his SUV for the ride from the Airport to the Viking facilities
    After camp of course
    Hey Favre, and Lesnar Brought them Superbowls why not Walker

56. JimmySmith says: Jan 25, 2011 10:45 AM

He should sign with the Vikings if only to sell a few more tickets for that last place team.

But I prefer to look on the bright side, at least the Vikings don’t have to trade away 3 first rounders and 3 second round draft picks…….again. Just by sheer contrast, they will look like football geniuses. Which is hard to do when your franchise is 50 years old and your trophy case is bare.

57. ja141762 says: Jan 25, 2011 11:06 AM

Herschel was my favorite player growing up. He is in tremendous shape, for any age. He has said that if MMA was available when he was playing football he would have chosen to do that. So I doubt he is seriously going to make an attempt to return to the NFL. IF he does it would just be to show people he can, his heart would not be in it.

58. tedvalentine says: Jan 25, 2011 1:09 PM

Which personality is this?

59. breeshasabush says: Jan 26, 2011 2:58 PM

to quote the great Chris Farley…. “I WANT HOLLYFIELD!!!!”