Rex Ryan calls his own post-game remarks “ridiculous”

Rex Ryan

With a day to think about it, Jets coach Rex Ryan says people have every right to criticize his team for falling short of the Super Bowl.

“That was a ridiculous statement,” Ryan said in reference to his own remarks that people who criticize his Jets “have no right” to do so.

Ryan brought up his regret in a way to explain Santonio Holmessalty post-game remarks.  Ryan said the Jets would prefer players not operate that way, but he understood the emotion and rawness of post-game press conferences.

Ryan touched on a number of other topics during his press conference, all while wearing a Jets dog tag.  “I’m proud to be a Jet,” Ryan said more than once.

1. Ryan confirmed offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer will be back with the team.

2. With the “benefit of hindsight,” Ryan wishes the team just ran the ball four straight times in the goal line with Shonn Greene or LaDainian Tomlinson.

3. Again and again, Ryan repeated that he couldn’t believe how his team played in the first half.  “I’m at a loss for words for why we played that poorly,” Ryan said.  “We were missing tackles all over the place.  Our tackling was so poor it’s hard to imagine.”

4. Ryan also couldn’t believe the defense couldn’t get a stop at the end of the game.  He said Ben Roethlisberger made great plays on his two late completions and he lauded Pittsburgh’s “gutsy” playcalling.

5. The impending lockout sounded like “scary times” to Ryan.   He said he told the team to take care of each other in the event of a lockout and stay clean off the field.

“You represent yourself and this organization on and off the field,” Ryan said he told his players.  “And I have to be mindful of that myself too, with my past history.”

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
55 Responses to “Rex Ryan calls his own post-game remarks “ridiculous””
  1. seanmmartin says: Jan 24, 2011 2:18 PM

He should have rubbed his rabbits foot before the game.

2. pack15forever says: Jan 24, 2011 2:19 PM

Bad move to bring back Schottenheimer. Horrible play caller.

3. seaner44 says: Jan 24, 2011 2:19 PM

the most ridiculous thing is that we are still going to hear more about him and his amazing jets over the next two weeks instead of the super bowl… it would be great if he would just crawl into a hole for the next seven months

4. thirdngoal says: Jan 24, 2011 2:19 PM

Was he directing the “stay clean off the field” to Holmes? Tone probably had his “wake n bake” planned for tonight, now what’s he to do??????

5. krow101 says: Jan 24, 2011 2:21 PM

Sports don’t build character… they reveal it. Nice bit of damage control there Rex. But everyone knows the kind of guy you really are.

You guaranteed a Superbowl win… constantly went on about how you had the best team in the NFL… and finally lost without class or dignity.

No doubt next year you and your team will be braying like donkeys again. I can hardly wait.

6. 2mannings1cup says: Jan 24, 2011 2:22 PM

“You represent yourself and this organization on and off the field,” Ryan said he told his players. “And I have to be mindful of that myself too, with my past history.”

So this is your “Past history”, as opposed to your future history, Rex?

Good luck keeping this group of hood rats clean during the offseason. Your entire organization is a joke.

7. jblazeandem says: Jan 24, 2011 2:24 PM

glad they lost…didn’t deserve it

8. Davo says: Jan 24, 2011 2:25 PM

Schotty’s back next year? Hurray! (says the rest of the AFC East)

9. notoriousbri says: Jan 24, 2011 2:26 PM

Hate this guy and his obnoxious attitude BUT applaud him for his comments during this press conference. Guess he needs a filter or something so it doesnt take him a day not to sound like a buffoon.

10. pcasten says: Jan 24, 2011 2:27 PM

What a BUM! Justice was served.

11. alltee says: Jan 24, 2011 2:32 PM

lol this organization is made up of baffoons from top to bottom, now we can critisize the jets, thanks rex.

everyone has the right once you gauranteed a superbowl win for two straight seasons and have yet to produce.

why do you care if they stay clean, a good chunk of them arent gonna be on your team next year anyway

thank you rex for believing in sanchez so much, when u lose a few key defensive players his accuracy is gonna be mo9re evident to those who dont see enough, of how bad your qb is

12. nygf says: Jan 24, 2011 2:34 PM

Bills are to the Super Bowl as the Jets are to the AFC championship game

13. carson9 says: Jan 24, 2011 2:35 PM

Expect an off-season full of tabloids and scandals from ole Ryan. Rex has became the new “Favre”.

14. lhaveprettyfeet says: Jan 24, 2011 2:36 PM

“And I have to be mindful of that myself too, with my past history.”

There is nothing wrong with it, Rex! Who doesn’t like pretty feet?

15. dkms2k says: Jan 24, 2011 2:38 PM

I think it’s good that Ryan addressed putting his foot in his mouth in the post game comments and reminded his players to put their best foot forward off the field in the offseason.

Sounds like their getting off on the right foot for the offeseason.

16. jc1958coo says: Jan 24, 2011 2:40 PM

maybe in the off season he can make some changes. put his best foot forward!! lol

17. geezohman says: Jan 24, 2011 2:44 PM

so… if he admits his (own) remarks are ‘ridiculus’ then isn’t ANY remark he makes also ‘ridiculus?

Maybe he has now learned what TOMLIN learned LAST year in his remarks of the Steelers going to unleash ‘HELL” on the upcoming game. (It didn’t happen) , notice how ‘cool’ he has learned to deal with the media.

GO Steelers, for those that ‘defense’ wins championships… our defense shut down JETs first half…
    but offense came through also with BIG BEN…
    (notice how other QBs have folded in these playoffs!)

18. nickster2k says: Jan 24, 2011 2:46 PM

Seriously, though, this guy had that lap-band surgery?

The exposure he would have gotten from a SB appearance would have been a serious blow to that industry.

19. gcbean says: Jan 24, 2011 2:49 PM

It’s funny how many people bash this guy. He’s taken the Jets to the AFC title game 2 years in a row. Pretty impressive if you ask me, and I’m not even a Jets fan.

20. tk1966 says: Jan 24, 2011 3:02 PM

On the post game interview (moments after the game by the network reporter, not the media interrogation later) did anyone else notice the lack of class on the part of fat Rex when he failed to offer congratulations to the Steelers? Almost without fail, other coaches in that same situation offer up congratulations before they give their response to the first question. He didn’t. Total lack of class, as we have seen from this man all year.

21. alltee says: Jan 24, 2011 3:09 PM

gcbean

a lot of teams could have done what the jets did, you have to understand that they sold themselves out for the future. they are now gonna lose a lot of players, they are gonna be very tight under the new cap (assuming there is one) and they have very little draft picks.

they are probably gonna lose 5 of thhier best 12 players, that is a major blow toa team.

so if u understand that you will understand how not impressive it was and why the jets wont even make the playoffs next year

22. steelerguy69 says: Jan 24, 2011 3:09 PM

I’m not a Jets fan, but I like Rex Ryan. I think he is good for football. He speaks his mind and is not intimidated by anyone. I would take a Rex Ryan talking over a Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells if for only because the latter two are extremely arrogant and Rex seems to me to be the kind of guy you could sit down and have a beer with. Keep up the good work Rex!!

23. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Jan 24, 2011 3:10 PM

Good to see. As a Patriots fan, I was just starting to gain some respect for tis guy and the job he has done. Would have been hard to keep that up if he stuck with that comment about not having the right to criticize his team with all the crap that he talks. He opens the door so he can’t cry about it when they don’t show up and make him look (and themselves) look bad.

24. zombiepatriot says: Jan 24, 2011 3:13 PM

The team came out flat because he had them play their ‘Super Bowl’ the week before.

They were due for the emotional let down and it is one of the faults of his coaching style. It is hard to create the same bluster and excitement week in and week out and it is hard to follow up a game where you trot out a past player who shouldn’t be walking and as such use that player as your source of inspiration.

I’m sure against the Patriots the players were just looking for their chance at revenge and nothing more. That would have sufficied but Ryan made the mistake of blowing his wad early by using something that should have been saved for the Super Bowl.

25. j0esixpack says: Jan 24, 2011 3:14 PM

The Agony of De-Feet

26. riverjet says: Jan 24, 2011 3:18 PM

A lot of Jet bashing.

Let’s see, two straight AFC title games with a now second year QB. The culture of the team has changed and I feel good about the Jets going forward and Ryan is the reason for that. Don’t kid yourself – he is a good coach and most teams would love to have him as their coach.

And for all the negativity about the Jets….I’ll take a trash talking coach and team any day over having BigBen or Vick as my QB.

27. lordodysseus says: Jan 24, 2011 3:27 PM

gcbean says: Jan 24, 2011 2:49 PM

***********************************************
    It is funny. It’s also jealousy. They all wish their team had gotten this far 2 years in a row.

28. nickster2k says: Jan 24, 2011 3:41 PM

zombiepatriot says:
    Jan 24, 2011 3:13 PM

==========================

Still trying to cope with last week’s choke job?

It’s the playoffs. As a coach you need to do everything you can to win one game at a time. It would be ridiculous to try to “save it for the SB.”

29. robzar says: Jan 24, 2011 3:42 PM

(J)ust(E)mbarrassing(T)hem(S)elves!!!!!!!!!!!!! The HC (head cuckold) of the NYJ ( not yet jerks ) is the biggest boob in the NFL by a mile.

30. 42rye says: Jan 24, 2011 3:51 PM

The thrill of “da-feet” and the agony of arrogance.

What a windbag.

31. gcbean says: Jan 24, 2011 3:51 PM

alltee says:

***************************************
    Can you tell me this weeks Ca Lottery numbers? It’s apparent you can predict the future by saying the “Jets won’t even make the playoffs next year.”

And you put a lot of weight into your word “probably.” Lots of open ended predictions if you ask me.

Like it or not, 2 AFC title games is worthy of praise.

32. scytherius says: Jan 24, 2011 3:57 PM

Meh. It was the heat of the moment. You lose a big game like that and you just get some slack.

33. gallyhatch says: Jan 24, 2011 3:58 PM

lordodysseus says:
    Jan 24, 2011 3:27 PM
    gcbean says: Jan 24, 2011 2:49 PM

***********************************************

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There’s no jealousy of a team that loses the AFCCG two years in a row.
    There’s no jealousy of a team talking smack all year long & not being able to back it up. They are so hellbent on being disrespected & other teams being classless, I don’t think they know the definitions of those words.

I’m a Pats fan & tip my cap to Rex Ryan’s Jets, they are 3-2 against my team over the last two years.

But in the end neither one is the champion, that’s all I care about for my team.

See you in September.

And to all the clowns with the tired out foot jokes. Enough already. It was old 6 weeks ago, and isn’t even relevant. (and I’m a Pats fan)

34. jamaltimore says: Jan 24, 2011 4:00 PM

Coaching is why you played so poorly in the first half. Your team won it’s superbowl the week before this game. By the time the hangover wore off it wast too late.

More specifically great offensive playcalling by the steelers had you off balance and your tackling sucked.

I hate them both but it wasn’t even close. The best part is the jets started by losing to the ravens in week one and ended by losing to the Steelers. I guess we know what division rules the AFC.

GO PACKERS!

35. zombiepatriot says: Jan 24, 2011 4:03 PM

nickster2k says:
    Jan 24, 2011 3:41 PM

Still trying to cope with last week’s choke job?

==========================

I was fine with it the moment the game was over. No coping involved.

As I’ve said many times…

One of the first years I followed the team they went 1-15 so a 14-3 season isn’t the end of the world.

Did they lose? Yup. Still, it’s just a game.

Do I stand by my comments?

Yes, you have to go with the mantra of taking it one game at a time but it is also a coaches job to look at the big picture. Going into the game against New England he turned it into the Jets Super Bowl where he pulled out all the stops. The result was an emotional let down and a failure to get his players up to play the Steelers.

So the bigger questions are for you, who I am guessing is a Jets fan:

Are you having trouble coping with the loss and the choke job by the Jets? Is that a reason for your hostility based off of what I would say is a fair comment?

36. cjspiller12 says: Jan 24, 2011 4:08 PM

@nygf says:
    Jan 24, 2011 2:34 PM
    Bills are to the Super Bowl as the Jets are to the AFC championship game
    __________________________________
    No, they have two more straight years for that…..won’t happen. Hey, at least the Bills made 4 straight Super Bowls and were 4 time AFC Champs (in a row). The Jets have won nothing!!!

37. omniscient48 says: Jan 24, 2011 4:11 PM

I am a Saints fan (personal reasons). However, I respect Rex Ryan. He is obviously an outstanding coach. Maybe PFT should do a poll — who would you rather play for — Bill Belichick or Rex Ryan. I would prefer to play for Ryan. I would also love to play for Pete Carroll and Mike Tomlin. Ryan and Carroll just look like they are having FUN coaching. I would make Tomlin head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff — that’s how much I respect him.

38. ny1969 says: Jan 24, 2011 4:12 PM

The only ones who can talk at this point in the season are fans of the packers and Steelers. The rest who post Ryan is a jerk remarks are just envious. Envious they don’t have a 2nd year coach who has taken his team to the AFC championship game two years in a row. Yeah he’s a chatter box but I’ll take Rex over most other coaches. And the players love him.
    Yeah they played poorly for 30 minutes Sunday.
    Everyone is entitled to make mistakes. The better person makes amends for their mistake. Rex did.

39. lordodysseus says: Jan 24, 2011 4:16 PM

Like no one could tell you’re a Pats fan, right gallyhatch? Sorry, but it’s easy to see from the vitriol you post that you are jealous that your team didn’t get there.

40. pukey60 says: Jan 24, 2011 4:24 PM

What exactly has Schotteneheimer ever done or accomplished?

Just curious.

41. FoozieGrooler says: Jan 24, 2011 4:26 PM

gcbean says: Jan 24, 2011 2:49 PM

“It’s funny how many people bash this guy. He’s taken the Jets to the AFC title game 2 years in a row.”

And lost both times.
    Don’t forget the part about losing.

42. theriposter says: Jan 24, 2011 4:29 PM

Schottenheimer is to Social Network is to Facebook. Way overrated in substance and style.

43. nickster2k says: Jan 24, 2011 4:29 PM

zombiepatriot said:
    So the bigger questions are for you, who I am guessing is a Jets fan:

=========================

Not a Jets fan. I just thought your comment was ridiculous. Ryan did a fantastic coaching job against both the Patriots and Steelers— they just came up a little short.

Maybe he was just saving it up for the Superbowl this time and it backfired? (See how ridiculous your comment is?)

44. pukey60 says: Jan 24, 2011 4:30 PM

Funny how a guy can get “nice” and “reflective” after his team loses for 2 consecutive years in the AFC Championship game.

45. richabbs says: Jan 24, 2011 4:37 PM

@zombiepatriot: The Patriots, overall, have more talent than the Jets and the Pats were playing at home. If Ryan doesn’t do all he can to win that game, he “probably” doesn’t get a chance to play the Steelers. Hell, his coaching didn’t miss all the tackles in the first half of last night’s game. And, it’s pure nonsense to think the Jets were “spent.” Sure, they were flat last night in the first half, but if they were spent, they would have never been able to score 19 unanswered points and keep a good Steeler team from scoring in the second half. Like the Steelers always do, the Jets were fighting ’til the very end of that game. That’s all you can ask for as a coach and a true football fan.

46. laxer37 says: Jan 24, 2011 4:38 PM

riverjet says:

“A lot of Jet bashing.”

“Let’s see, two straight AFC title games”
    ———————————————-

That’s two straight AFC title game loses.

Getting there and losing just means your draft order drops and you have nothing for your trophy case.

47. gallyhatch says: Jan 24, 2011 4:50 PM

@lordodysseus

Yeah, I’m jealous of the AFCCG Losers!!
    Same old Jets!

Good luck in the draft & see you in September!

48. zombiepatriot says: Jan 24, 2011 4:55 PM

nickster2k said:

=========================

Nope, still don’t see it and I stand by my comment.

He was able to motivate his team to play the Patriots the prior week to the point where it was the Super Bowl for the Jets.

The following week the Jets took the field and played the first half like it was the Pro Bowl.

He had done some fine coaching jobs but he was not able to motivate his team to play in the AFC Championship.

I don’t think you should look past an opponent but if you are going to bring your team to the level he brought them against the Patriots he should also recognize you are going to have to at least match if not exceed that intensity going into the next game. He did not recognize that and his team came out flat, fell behind and they lost.

49. monnymon says: Jan 24, 2011 4:56 PM

The Jets play with emotion. Take the emotion out of the Jets they don’t even make the playoffs.

50. geezohman says: Jan 24, 2011 4:58 PM

HEY.. hows this for CLASSY:

see the video on Sanchez picking his nose and wiping on another player, (2nd string QB?) on national TV !!!

quess what… CNN just showed it on cable !

51. grs27 says: Jan 24, 2011 5:13 PM

When he threw his headset to the ground after the Ben completion, I knew that finally, the big mouth would be be shut for good.

52. tatum064 says: Jan 24, 2011 5:26 PM

Like him. He’s a quote machine, he has his team talking and backing it up, and that comeback wouldve been one for the ages – Pittsburgh never wouldve lived it down.

That guy can call a defense – check the Steeler receiver stats; Mike Wallace 1 catch. Rothlisberger no TDs and 1 pick. Jets never gave up, and this guy put them on the football map. Who cares what the guy says…he puts fans in the stadium.

53. hooterdawg says: Jan 24, 2011 5:57 PM

I hope his promise to bring back Schottie is like an owner’s vote of confidence: it mean nothing. Sure, it would be difficult to find a better OC after thay have been snapped up in the past two weeks. Schottie would prolly have several NFL teams to consider him; he is just over his head for an elite team, a championship team. The ofense sputtered all season under his play calling, and the Jets have some talented ballers. He needs to take a step back with a 2nd tier team who don’t get the A game of every defense they play.

54. richm2256 says: Jan 24, 2011 10:29 PM

All those idiots blasting Bill Belichick’s scheming against the Jets last week now need to step up and criticize Ryan for a near duplicate of New England’s performance last week.

Seems Rex wants to be Belichick so bad that he even emulates his crappy games!

55. d2o2s6r6 says: Jan 26, 2011 9:38 PM

The reason so many people dislikes the Jets is because they Brag so much about what they thought they were going to do. Go to the super bowl. Rex talked so much trash about other teams how much the Jets were so much better then but at the end of the day, you end saying the same thing all losers say. Woulda shoulda coulda. Blah blah blah. Stop bragging so much and just play the game.