Finley, Barnett feel left out by Packers

Jermichael Finley

The Packers have done a great job overcoming all their key injuries this year.   They could perhaps do a better job making those injured players still feel part of the team.

Linebacker Nick Barnett and tight end Jermichael Finley took to Twitter Tuesday to express their disappointment that they won’t be allowed to be part of the official Super Bowl team photo.

“It’s kinda sad to think ..  Just goes you injured yourself you not part,” Barnett wrote.

“We got hurt playing for the team. Its not like we got injury bs’in around,” Finley wrote.  “And its a team rule! Shame . . . I never trip abt anything, but the way IR players are getting treated not cool… I guess its what have u done for me lately!”

We know this isn’t a huge story, but it highlights the distance that injured players often feel to their healthy teammates.

The team photo is usually taken at the conclusion of Media Day (Tuesday).  Teams often have players on injured reserve present for Media Day, but the Packers may not be bringing their injured players until later in the week.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
30 Responses to “Finley, Barnett feel left out by Packers”
  1. hobartbaker says: Jan 25, 2011 2:00 PM

2. jbl429 says: Jan 25, 2011 2:05 PM

I always thought it was weird the way teams treat the players on injured reserve. I get that you don’t want the team to focus on the injured players and how it may have affected the team’s overall talent over the course of the season. But considering that most players talk about their teammates as if it’s one big family, I don’t get the disconnect they have with the players on IR.

3. calloustongue says: Jan 25, 2011 2:10 PM

Funny I haven’t seen much of Barnett or Finely roaming the sidelines. I could be wrong, but I haven’t seen them since they got hurt.

These two need to zip it and not be a distraction. They should be worrying about their rehab and contributing next year.

4. gregjennings85 says: Jan 25, 2011 2:11 PM

Finley = THE MAN.

5. huskerguy says: Jan 25, 2011 2:18 PM

That is kind of crappy. Wonder who’s decision that is. TT’s? You know, he was never much of a PR guy but those are 2 guys I don’t want to lose.

6. innoculo says: Jan 25, 2011 2:25 PM

I’m sure GB will do right by them. But for old time sake.

SCHISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. rangenius says: Jan 25, 2011 2:37 PM

Stay classy Green Bay!

If Mark Cuban bought the team this would not happen.

8. gpack22 says: Jan 25, 2011 2:45 PM

@Calloustongue – I totally agree with you. The only place I’ve seen Barnett in GB is at bars. Now that the rest of the team is in the spotlight, they want their’s too. Sit down, rehab and get back on the field next yr to help this team return to the SB.

BTW, you don’t hear Tauscher whining. He’s been on IR AND around the sidelines.

9. huskerguy says: Jan 25, 2011 2:47 PM

@calloustongue-

Good point. I don’t the answer to that though. I am sure they weren’t at the road games… were they at the home games?

10. xli2006 says: Jan 25, 2011 2:54 PM

I was at the Colts Hotel a few times this past February and saw a number of IR’ed players there alongside the team and coaches. They seemed involved in every way.

These players are still on the Team, not sure why the Packers don’t involve them. Should be an open policy. I can understand maybe Practice Squad players not being included, but these guys injured themselves doing the same thing the rest of the active players are currently doing.

Kind of weak by the Packers, just sayin’.

11. nothimagain says: Jan 25, 2011 2:58 PM

Finley is a frickin’ beast. Not the guy I’d want to piss off if I’m Packers-fan.
    Definitely hope he leaves when his contract is up.

12. yourcommentsux says: Jan 25, 2011 3:00 PM

Don’t understand how they treat guys on IR either. Barnett makes a little sense because I don’t think he’ll be back next year. Finley is a different story. The dude is a beast and should be in the long term plans. I would treat them both a little better. After all, they got injured playing for the best team in America.

13. jrmbadger says: Jan 25, 2011 3:02 PM

“hobartbaker says:
    Jan 25, 2011 2:00 PM
    Barnett and Finley were not thrilled to find out that they would have to buy tickets to attend the game, either.”

Shocking: Hobartbaker slamming the Packers.

14. sjoyner59 says: Jan 25, 2011 3:06 PM

If these 2 players contributed to the packers by playing football this year they should be in the super bowl photograph its that simple

15. purplehayseuss says: Jan 25, 2011 3:21 PM

This by the team owned by a municipality, with the so-labeled ‘Best Fans on Earth”. Finley was touted as the best TE in the NFL by more than one ‘expert’ this year, and Barnett was the ‘heart of this defense’ for a long time.

No corporate fat cats to blame here, no bastard of an owner, no SOB of a GM, no idiot of a head coach. What is the world coming to? Vince is positively spinning in his hallowed grave, and Curly is roiling the clouds over Holy Lambeau, folks. Take Shelter!

Injured teammates aren’t even allowed on the freaking team photo for the Super Bowl? Will these injured players be denied the Rings if they win, too? How about the visit to the White House? Will the Green Bay Packers organization deny these EMPLOYEES their rights further?

Why oh why are not the Best Fans on Earth screaming to high heavens on this? These fans claim high moral ground on EVERY issue, shout superiority over the rest of the football yokels out here.

Why are not Packers Stock Holders not crowding the team management offices demanding someone’s head?

16. usmc8422 says: Jan 25, 2011 3:25 PM

I get why people are upset, and I was at first too… But I read a statement by the PR guy.. The IR’d players aren’t coming down until two days after the team picture, because they don’t have the resources to rehab the 16 players on IR and take care of the active 53, like they would if they were in GB!

17. calloustongue says: Jan 25, 2011 3:33 PM

It’s not a matter of should or shouldn’t they imo.

It’s more to do with getting on Twitter and complaining instead of keeping it internal.

They’ll get rings. As will probably all the other guys on IR, and various other personel.

If this headline had read Josh Bell and Marshall Newhouse feel left out by Packers, would you have even clicked?

Some of the guys on IR didn’t even play a regular season snap, some did, some played more than half the season. Should the Packers pick and choose or include them all? What about the practice squad guys? What about Al Harris?

Gotta draw the line somewhere. Sorry guys, there is always next year. Best of luck with the rehab and hope you enjoy your sideline spot and cheer on your teammate better than Cutler.

18. theo547 says: Jan 25, 2011 3:40 PM

Barnett and Finley are both punks –

Barnett for one will be lucky if there is a spot on this team for him next year. Hawk really stepped up this year and played alot better with Bishop in the lineup.

Finley is so talented, but thats not going to do him much good if he doesnt get his ego in check – your a TE bro not Randy Moss and Rodgers was alot more effective after you left (maybe because the other guys dont lobby for passes?).

19. hedphurst says: Jan 25, 2011 3:49 PM

They’re still gonna get a ring. When talking about great players, nobody cares or talks about how many team photos they were in. They talk about stats and championship rings. Getting bent out of shape over a photo shoot is asinine and immature.

“Whaaaa, I’m hurt, not playing, still getting paid, and have a good shot to get a Super Bowl ring. I’m so persecuted. Why doesn’t my team love me?”

20. ernieernie says: Jan 25, 2011 3:54 PM

First, Nick Barnett should be more worried about getting cut outright. This is two seasons now he hasn’t been around to contribute. He’s always hurt and I feel the Packers are probably thinking they’se seen the best of him already.

Second, Finley was impressive when he played. However he is also one of those wide body guys who puts on pounds quickly. My take is, he will never be effective again because he will hear the footsteps calling ‘here comes another injury’ and will be dropping more balls than he catches.

Dito that running back they had who is hurt also, word is already out that he will be cut in March.

21. emperorzero says: Jan 25, 2011 3:58 PM

Just as long as they get rings if the Packers win.

22. footballrulz says: Jan 25, 2011 4:01 PM

They get their rings as do the guys on the practice squad. Personally I think Barnett & Finley should be in the picture but someone does need to draw the line. Glad it’s not me.

GB’s whole focus this year has been team. Considering the both went out after week 4 & GB is in the SB think I would just quietly be glad to be a part of it & be hoping there is a next year

23. finfan4life says: Jan 25, 2011 4:14 PM

calloustongue: What about Al Harris?

Al Harris was dropped half way through the season and played for the Dolphins after they got him off the PUP list.

24. marvsleezy says: Jan 25, 2011 4:23 PM

If im Finley I would keep quiet now, and let the Packers front office know that when he hits free agency he will not resign with the team because of this.

25. shibbyleigh says: Jan 25, 2011 5:04 PM

All Finley and his wife did on Twitter all season was talk about how great it was to be in AZ in the warm weather for rehab instead of in the cold in WI. I never saw Finley or Barnett on the sidelines once after they were placed on IR, but I did see Ryan Grant a few times.

I really liked Finely, but not seeing him once on the sidelines sat poorly with me all season. Now whining about not being in a Super Bowl picture? Must be convenient to show your face when the media spotlight is shining brightly on the team you kept your distance from all year.

26. shadowgm1 says: Jan 25, 2011 5:52 PM

Barnett can get lost anyways…he was being outplayed by Bishop last season (hence the timeshare) and doesn’t fit our scheme – Bishop does and is a main reason for the defensive surge. Plus, Barnett’s one of the few remaining Shermanite’s on roster.

Finley is starting to show his immaturity again…had both on and off-field issues with this as a TE at Texas. To those that hope Green Bay can’t resign him, good luck trying to make him fit in your system. He’s succeeded because he fits a profile conducive to our “spread” out offense. He needs to shut it. This team got where they did because of teamwork, and the way these idiots are selfishly acting – it was a blessing for them to be lost to injury.

27. shadowgm1 says: Jan 25, 2011 5:54 PM

ernieernie says:
    Jan 25, 2011 3:54 PM

———————————————-

Are you my long lost brother? Finally someone agreeing with my sentiments.

28. shadowgm1 says: Jan 25, 2011 6:00 PM

purplehayseuss says:
    Jan 25, 2011 3:21 PM

___________________________________

Probably because the majority (along with me) feels that primadonna players like Favre was and “Barnett/Finley Cryfest ’11” here aren’t above the team.

And no, especially with their acts today, they wouldn’t be getting rings if I had anything to say about it. They didn’t earn them, but their poor-attitudes absences definitely benefitted team camaraderie and got them to this point.

29. purpleguy says: Jan 25, 2011 6:22 PM

You’d think the criteria for being in the team pic and getting a SB share would be contribution to the team during the season. If memory serves correct, both of those whiners played and contributed to the team’s success before they went on IR, and thus should be in the team pic. As a Viking fan, its not suprising that really the only two Packer players I dislike from a more personal perspective are Barnett and Finley, so I can’t say I’m suprised they are whining. You don’t hear Tauscher or the other IR players complaining.

30. jarrman46 says: Jan 25, 2011 8:00 PM

All you idiots who are saying that Finley will leave in free agency dont follow the Packers. Nobody leaves Ted Thompson without him getting something in return Ask Brett |Favre Corey Williams Javon Walker ETC ETC ETC. Finley will be franchised every year till the Packers dont want him anymore then he will get another idiot GM to pony up 3 draft picks for him. In six years under TT only Aaron Kampman left here without compensation. And thats because he tore his knee up and he became an unknown commodity. If he would have been healthy TT would have took Jacksonville to the cleaners.