Mankins doesn’t close door on returning to Pats

Patriots Football

Pro Bowl offensive lineman Logan Mankins will become a free agent, whenever free agency commences.  He said in Hawaii that he won’t necessarily be leaving New England.

There are 32 teams in play,” Mankins told Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald.  “Whatever one I feel is the best situation for me.”

And the Patriots could be the one.

“There’s always a possibility,” Mankins said.  “But to tell you the truth, I haven’t given it much thought right now.  If there was a CBA, I’m sure I’d be thinking about it a lot more.’’

One potential impediment arises from any potentially lingering animosity arising from Mankins’ holdout, which lingered into the 2010 regular season.  Mankins said some things about Patriots owner Robert Kraft, and a long-term deal between player and team reportedly was prevented when Mankins refused to make public a private apology to the man who signs the checks.

“Well, everyone knows I apologized to Mr. Kraft,” Mankins said.  “He told everyone.”

Hey, at least there are 31 other teams in play.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Mankins doesn’t close door on returning to Pats”
  1. cityofchampyinz says: Jan 26, 2011 11:15 PM

Future Steeler.

2. FinFan68 says: Jan 26, 2011 11:15 PM

I’m sure the Dolphins will pay a great deal to shore up their O-line.

3. handlethehandles says: Jan 26, 2011 11:21 PM

Ummm is he serious… Hey Mankins be the next Samuels.. go sign a huge deal, be a star player.. and watch the Superbowl with the rest of us… Never get bigger than the team.. Just ask Ocho Ohh Nooo

4. bigbear12 says: Jan 26, 2011 11:21 PM

everyone knows I apologized to Mr. Kraft,” Mankins said.
    ————–
    He still calls him Mr. Kraft, wouldn’t rule out the Pats.

5. bigbear12 says: Jan 26, 2011 11:23 PM

Of course he would be welcome in Chicago.
    Is Jerry able to open up the wallet again this off-season?

6. pfii63 says: Jan 26, 2011 11:24 PM

The Pats will pay him… the line got much nastier once he returned to the team, and he was a big part of our offensive success this year. As disappointed as I was in Logan’s earliest comments, things seemed to have settled down and I expect reason to prevail.

If reason doesn’t prevail, I would also not be surprised to see the Pats slap the Franchise tag on him (if it exists)… they can still do that, and it would keep leverage with the team.

To Bob and Jonathan Kraft… just let the old situation go, and pay the man what he wants; he’s worth it. And given Light’s departure and Neal’s possible retirement, we need the stability up front.

7. jameswestphal says: Jan 26, 2011 11:40 PM

The Jets, however, still haven’t won a Super Bowl since 1969.

8. db105 says: Jan 26, 2011 11:46 PM

Why would any free agent trying to get the maximum amount of money want to lose any leverage by eliminating a team? Especially a team that will be one of the favorites for the Super Bowl.

9. dragones99 says: Jan 26, 2011 11:51 PM

the eagles will gladly accept your contributions to this team that is in need of a veteran oline

10. frankvzappa says: Jan 26, 2011 11:52 PM

they should franchise tag him and then use the leverage from that to sign him to a reasonable long term deal…there is no arguing how much the pats improved with him back, and all that nonsense between him and Kraft is water under the bridge…

11. jc1958coo says: Jan 27, 2011 12:04 AM

better sign before march 4th! any team who knows after that, we’re at war for a CBA!!
    be glad when it’s done CAN’T WAIT

12. johnnyshore says: Jan 27, 2011 12:14 AM

Guards are a dime a dozen these days. Look at Mike Iupati of San Fran. If Mankins is no longer on NE, it will have no effect on their 2011 season.

13. hobartbaker says: Jan 27, 2011 12:25 AM

Logan may just skip the season entirely and wait until the next Pro Bowl to play again.

14. dvnelson72 says: Jan 27, 2011 12:50 AM

“Well, everyone knows I apologized to Mr. Kraft,” Mankins said. “He told everyone.”

Too funny. It makes me think the apology went something like, “I’m sorry you are such a cheap son of a bitch. I’m sorry the CBA isn’t finalized so I could flip you off on the way out of here. I’m sorry that norelco guy ever sold you this team. I’m sorry I have to apologize for you being who you are.”

15. andyprough says: Jan 27, 2011 12:52 AM

The Patriots should re-sign as many of their players as possible.

Three straight playoff disasters should assure the hoodie and Kraft that these are the players to build your next dynasty around.

16. dirksimmons says: Jan 27, 2011 1:12 AM

Lovie wants this guy bad. I remember before the Patriots game when he giving him a heap of compliments. They even have the same agent. I’d look for the Bears to at least try and go after him, especially with an offensive line that gave up 50+ sacks.

17. dirksimmons says: Jan 27, 2011 1:13 AM

he was* giving

18. cliverush says: Jan 27, 2011 4:34 AM

Best Guard in football. Pats will get him back because he is their third most important offensive player. This man enjoys the simple pleasures of life and does not worship of money. He is a real cowboy.

19. paredskinwarrior says: Jan 27, 2011 6:19 AM

he will be a redskin and so will peyton manning BOOK IT!

20. Akula says: Jan 27, 2011 6:24 AM

Settle down folks…he ain’t going to your team…he ain’t goin nowhere.

I’m still trying to find Bart Scott….come out come out where ever you are……I know there is no use in checking the pro bowl for him.

21. tim1999 says: Jan 27, 2011 6:43 AM

Patriots blew it when they didn’t re-sign him last year.

22. mataug says: Jan 27, 2011 7:17 AM

Mr Polian, Mr Manning is on the line wanting to discuss your plans of being aggressive in free agency this year….

23. j0esixpack says: Jan 27, 2011 7:24 AM

Seems like he’s got a sense of humor about his holdout

These guys know its business… Mankins stepped back in with Kraft, Belichick, Brady and the rest of the offensive line and didn’t miss a beat

All things being equal (that is, the money) I expect he’ll stay where he is now

24. buschleaguebandit says: Jan 27, 2011 7:36 AM

Mankins will be playing in Dallas next year. Jerry will make sure of it. Welcome to the Cowboys!!

25. pervyharvin says: Jan 27, 2011 9:30 AM

Get out the checkbook Ziggy, our line sucks.

26. indywilson40 says: Jan 27, 2011 10:36 AM

I saw Mankins and Bill Polian together at St Elmo Steakhouse. Future Colt? Sure looks like it.

27. CKL says: Jan 27, 2011 10:49 AM

Sounds like LoLo is still a bit ticked off that Kraft made that apology public since he didn’t want to say anything publicly about the apology unless he got re-signed. To me the fact he’s still ticked that DOESN’T bode well for his staying. I would still like to know why he came back before he had to. He won’t tell the reason for that either…just that he “had his reasons”.

I could see him ending up in Chi, yes.
    I think there’s not a really good chance he stays in NE.

28. ihatetheeffingjets says: Jan 27, 2011 11:07 AM

——————–

ummm, yeah, Pats fan here. See, we kinda haven’t been back to the super bowl since Samuel left. You need Jimmies and Joes, not just X’s and O’s.

29. favrespeckerpictures says: Jan 27, 2011 11:08 AM

Can anyone spell G-A-M-E-S-M-A-N-S-H-I-P?? I smell a Jets signing…….would give Mankins a chance for revenge and the Jets a chance to get deeper into the Pats heads.

30. ihatetheeffingjets says: Jan 27, 2011 12:12 PM

I’d say there’s a good chance he’s going to the Bears seeing as they’ve already tampered with him extensively.