Pat McAfee could be the NFL’s next two-sport athlete

Adam Vinatieri, Pat McAfee

To the extent that kicking a ball in the NFL makes a guy an “pro athlete,” then Colts punter Pat McAfee is a “pro athlete.”

And to the extent that MLS soccer is a “pro sport,” McAfee could be the next NFL player who is a two-sport pro athlete.

The Columbus Dispatch reports that McAfee was an “invited guest” at the Columbus Crew’s pre-preseason practice on Tuesday.  Coach Robert Warzycha told the Dispatch that McAfee “showed us he is a pretty good player,” and will participate in camp for the next few days.

“He wanted to be in a pro environment and try it out,” Warzycha said. “I don’t think we would close the door to anybody just because they play a different sport.  We’ll see what happens next.  I don’t think we’ll take him to Phoenix [for preseason camp] but he can play and he knows the game.  He kicked the hell out of a few balls.”

Who knows?  If there’s a lockout, maybe McAfee will make himself available to the MLS.  Or maybe it’s just a hobby.

If it’s a hobby, it’s better than swimming shirtless in a canal on a 39-degree morning, after drinking copious amounts of slightly more potent liquids.  (McAfee avoided prosecution by agreeing to a diversion program.)

That said, McAfee remains under contract.  And given the injury risk arising from running around on a pitch with pro-level talent, the standard player contract contains language that could cause the Colts to conclude that it’s just as bad to be “liquored up” as it is to be “soccered up.”

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
22 Responses to “Pat McAfee could be the NFL’s next two-sport athlete”
  1. canadianvikingfaniii says: Jan 26, 2011 7:36 AM

Good according to MLS club standards.. Only when they are playing for the international team are they any good.

2. joetoronto says: Jan 26, 2011 7:42 AM

Very impressive stuff.

I don’t know that we’ll ever see anyone go to the MLB All Star game and the Pro Bowl in the same year again though, like Bo Jackson did.

3. p4ever says: Jan 26, 2011 8:40 AM

———————

For someone who is trying to make believe he is a “team concept” advocate, you sure make a lot of bad jokes about kickers. Kickers are an integral part of the team and the outcome of most games rest on their legs; when the “athletes” stall a drive, the kicker is supposed to bail them out rain, sleet or shine.

4. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Jan 26, 2011 8:40 AM

Did Columbus’ GM watch the Colts-Jets playoff game? If McAfee only kicked off deep or through the endzone instead of leaving it short enough so Cromartie could return it, we all would have been much better off these last two weeks.

5. sjoyner59 says: Jan 26, 2011 9:01 AM

yes,Bo Jackson being a allstar in 2 different pro sports was truly incredible….I will never forget the harmless looking tackle that ended Bo’s career,a sad day for those of us that appreciate pro sports

6. toe4 says: Jan 26, 2011 9:12 AM

Does anyone know… does the “standard language” still hold up in the event of a lockout? How about strike?

7. tombradyswig says: Jan 26, 2011 9:16 AM

Isn’t he on a drunk swimming team as well?!?
    I heard he’s pretty good.

8. baddegg says: Jan 26, 2011 9:26 AM

Yeesh — why the disrespect for kickers and soccer players!?

9. mikebrownmakesmefrown says: Jan 26, 2011 9:34 AM

Perhaps I’ll drive up to Columbus and tryout also.

10. nesuperfan says: Jan 26, 2011 10:05 AM

Not specific to this guy, but I think trying to be a two-sport athlete in the pros is a really bad idea.

First, I really think that to be good at the pro level, you have to give it your all, and dividing your time, by definition does not do that. Even if you are good at both, would you have been GREAT at one?

Second, the team paying you a ton of money deserves your undivided attention.

Last, in virtually every pro sport, the level of play is so high, that you push your body beyond what most humans do, and you need the off time to recover for the next time you must push your body for your team. In other words, you need the off season to get healthy.

Pick a sport and be great at it.

11. s1ark5 says: Jan 26, 2011 10:30 AM

MLS wil be one of the top leagues in the world in 10 years. One of the most popular leages in the US and Canada, right behind NFL, CFB, NBA.

12. laxer37 says: Jan 26, 2011 10:42 AM

This is clearly a joke.

Everyone knows nobody above the age of 13 plays soccer in this country.

13. s1ark5 says: Jan 26, 2011 11:00 AM

Really Lexer? Where do you live? Because where I live and have lived people from teenagers to adults play soccer in the parks.

How many people actually play tackle football that are older then 13? I can assure you more people play soccer then tackle football.

Regardless, that is irrelevant to the discussion..more people play basketball in the parks then tackle football, does that mean anything? not really, NFL is still more popular then the NBA.

All I am saying is, the media would like you to think that soccer is not popular in this country and it couldnt be further from the truth.

14. richm2256 says: Jan 26, 2011 11:23 AM

I’m sorry, did someone just compare Pat “I’m just a moron kicker who jumped in the river, drunk” McAfee to Bo “I played my a$$ off in two REAL sports” Jackson?

I don’t believe that kicking a football or running around on a soccer field equates you with one of the greatest “athletes” of the 20th century. Bo Jackson excelled in two very difficult areas.

If that guy tried his hand at soccer, it would be the number two sport in Amrica today based on his talents alone. Dude would have single handedly “manned-up” the sissy sport of soccer forever.

15. nygiantstones says: Jan 26, 2011 11:29 AM

What a douche bag comment. This is the egocentric attitude of middle American, ignorant, religious ingrates that burns our perception in the world and generates anger towards us.

16. broncsfan says: Jan 26, 2011 11:48 AM

Please. I dominate in darts, beer pong, AND frisbee golf. Your move, McAfee.

17. outlawjerseywhales says: Jan 26, 2011 11:54 AM

s1ark5 says:
    Jan 26, 2011 11:00 AM
    “… where I live and have lived people from teenagers to adults play soccer in the parks.”
    ————————————————–
    I see the same thing all the time.
    When I do I indulge myself in some fun.
    I shout “!LA MIGRA!” and watch the participants scatter all over the place!

18. gamecat235 says: Jan 26, 2011 12:40 PM

Well, we all know that a sport which actively promotes timeouts and breathers between EVERY play couldn’t possibly be called into question as a “real” professional sport.

19. panther17 says: Jan 26, 2011 1:05 PM

Think people are taking his jab on soccer the wrong way. It’s actually a jab at MLS Soccer. Not soccer itself.

And while this nations top athletes continue to go to NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL, he has every right to question MLS Soccers claim to be professional sport.

Minor league is more accurate.

20. s1ark5 says: Jan 26, 2011 3:28 PM

panther,

There is not a better league when it comes to Soccer in the US and Canada. So it is a Pro soccer league, whether you want to admit or not. and it is a pretty decent one at that, despite what haters would like you to believe.

Again keep in mind what the NFL looked like in its teens, or any other league and I can assure it wasnt as good of a shape as MLS is in its 16th season.

One thing I dont understand about americans and the society in this country. More specifically I am talking about the media.

Why not support MLS as much as you can? is it the best soccer league in the world? Not it isnt. Does it have the best players in the world? no not yet, but so what who cares….it is OUR LEAUGE!!!!! Support it enough and one day we will have the best league with the best players.

I travel alot and when I would go to europe, you should see the support for their basketball leagues. It is amazing, the passion and pub it generates… now are the Euro league better then the NBA? not even close….but guess what it doesnt matter to them, it is their league and they are proud of it.

Americans are just bigots. If they did not invent it they could care less about it.

21. toe4 says: Jan 26, 2011 3:30 PM

OutlawJerseyWhales your comment is racist.

You aren’t talking about just any illegal aliens you are referring to hispanic illegal aliens, particularly Mexicans.

When I go to the truck and tractor pull I shout “Free Chewing Tobacco in the main lobby!” and watch the spectators scatter.

See, its racist when referring to white people too.

I go down to MLK drive and shout “6 up” and watch the people scatter.

Its racist with black people too.

22. granadafan says: Jan 26, 2011 4:09 PM

There is more athleticism required in soccer than in baseball. Soccer players are in much better shape than baseball players (CC Sabathia and Prince Fielder, anyone?). I like all our sports, but let’s not be completely ignorant about soccer, which is the world’s most popular sport by far.