Brett Keisel: “The beard is why we’re here”

Brett Keisel

Super Bowl week is when legends are made: Joe Namath’s guarantee. Lynn Swann’s catch. John Elway’s helicopter.

And now we can add one more: Brett Keisel’s beard.

Keisel, the Steelers defensive end whose facial hair makes Kimbo Slice think it’s time for a shave, got more questions about his beard than anything else when he arrived in Dallas today. And he provided the kinds of colorful answers that the Super Bowl media love.

“The beard — the beard is why we’re here,” Keisel said today. “It’s unleashed Super Bowl powers on our whole team and hopefully it can win us one more.”

Keisel said he was inspired by seeing hockey players who grow out their beards during the Stanley Cup playoffs.

“I saw those guys looking burly and thought, ‘You know what? After minicamp in June, I’ve got seven months until the Super Bowl and we’re trying to win our seventh Super Bowl, so I’ll see if I can let this thing [grow] for seven months and this is the result,” Keisel said.

“She’s been a great supporter throughout,” Keisel said. “She gave me a razor for Christmas and it’s still in the package, but I’ll have to break it out eventually.”

Keisel just hopes he can wait to shave the beard until after his hairy face has kissed the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Brett Keisel: “The beard is why we’re here””
  1. thejuddstir says: Jan 31, 2011 8:58 PM

Makes Erin Rodgers jealous, he’s still trying for his first chest hair, lol

2. hobartbaker says: Jan 31, 2011 8:59 PM

It’s too late for the razor, but his wife is getting him a hedge trimmer for his birthday. And a chainsaw next Christmas.

3. jc1958coo says: Jan 31, 2011 9:00 PM

i guess he has to wait another year to shave!! oh next year green bay will repeat! make that two years, he’ll look like zz top! lol

4. Spoonthis says: Jan 31, 2011 9:00 PM

I wonder if Kimbo Slice can play LB? GODell would fine him for looking mean.

5. heckjeck says: Jan 31, 2011 9:02 PM

Respect the beard….Fear the Diesel.

6. hobartbaker says: Jan 31, 2011 9:05 PM

Keisel’s wife makes him sleep out in the barn. With his giant blue ox, Babe.

7. Bubby Brister says: Jan 31, 2011 9:19 PM

Hate the Steelers as you may, but it’s so hard to dislike this guy.

8. changsteinelgamal says: Jan 31, 2011 9:22 PM

I have noticed its righteousness for the last couple weeks, glad to see it is getting its proper recognition.

9. discosucs2005 says: Jan 31, 2011 9:27 PM

@Spoonthis

Let’s not give him any ideas.

10. drumbug7 says: Jan 31, 2011 9:27 PM

“Kissing Keisel must feel like wiping your face with a Brillo Pad, but he says his wife has been understanding.”

Yeah…..that was my first thought when I saw this headline…..???

11. ampatsisahypocrite says: Jan 31, 2011 9:32 PM

Do we even need to guess what will happen? The Steelers will win, Green Bay fans and all the haters will whine about the calls or the weather, and PFT will be back to normal.

12. nicktomfrank says: Jan 31, 2011 9:35 PM

I too have been growing a beard for 7 months but for no particular reason.

1. I hope the power of my beard cancels out Keisel’s and the Packers win.
    2. I’m now upset I didn’t grow out my moustache for 7 months as well. It looks awesome.

13. stersarepigs says: Jan 31, 2011 9:38 PM

My cousin who works with the son of Dom Capers says the Packers are going to run a 4-3-3-1 def to surprise the Steelers. Put all 4 big guys up front to stop the run. 3 LB (matthews is a decoy, won’t rush much) 3 CB matched up one on one and 1 safety Collins at centerfield. Lots of Corner blitzs. We’ll destroy them!!!!!!!

14. geezohman says: Jan 31, 2011 9:49 PM

(he ain’t dumb, if the Steelers do win the super bowl, he has a shaving commercial all lined up…

I mean isn’t Lewis stupid shower, deodarant commercial terrible? thumbs up or down?

15. gdonz14 says: Jan 31, 2011 9:50 PM

Manliest Man in the NFL. DIESEL! Wanna see him and Bart Scott in a steel cage match….

16. chucknoll says: Jan 31, 2011 10:25 PM

Chuck norris doesnt sleep under covers..he gets under Keisel’s beard..and waits

17. PCa Survivor says: Jan 31, 2011 10:29 PM

stersarepigs says: Jan 31, 2011 9:38 PM

_______________________

You’re cousins with Bob Holtzman?

18. calloustongue says: Jan 31, 2011 10:30 PM

Nice beard, but ever heard of a trimmer?

19. holeinone09 says: Jan 31, 2011 10:41 PM

It’s the TERRIBLE BEARD!!

GO STEELERS!!

20. bensstinkyfingers says: Jan 31, 2011 10:46 PM

Unfortunately, beards don’t make you play football better, or make you tougher. (see George Micheal )Usually it’s the dudes who are little boys that want to be like real men (vikings, loggers, etc.) that grow the mountain man beards for a few months then gone once the boss (their wives, g-friends etc)make them shave em off. Now if any of them posers still have them a month from now I’ll be impressed. Go Packers, please destroy these D-bags.

21. xthechargersareherex says: Jan 31, 2011 10:52 PM

thats stupid

22. xthechargersareherex says: Jan 31, 2011 10:52 PM

and how the hell does this qualify as news?

23. johnnyballsack says: Jan 31, 2011 11:04 PM

BubbyBrister is right. I am not a Steelers fan, but I like this guy. It’s hard not to.

24. Nevis says: Jan 31, 2011 11:29 PM

Brian Wilson files lawsuit…

25. discosucs2005 says: Jan 31, 2011 11:34 PM

@bensstinkyfingers

“Usually it’s the dudes who are little boys that want to be like real men (vikings, loggers, etc.) that grow the mountain man beards”

And the real men are the ones on blogs mocking beards?

26. cornellsteelers says: Jan 31, 2011 11:39 PM

@stersarepigs

I’m sure your cousin is thrilled that you’re dispensing this info on one of the most read NFL sites in the world. If he exists, that is.

27. raiderspride says: Jan 31, 2011 11:45 PM

Ohhh Duh! It is all about winning a Super Bowl. A commitment to not shave. I get it now!

This explains the women waitress’ I met at the airport on a lay over in Minneapolis.

I understand now.

28. mataug says: Jan 31, 2011 11:46 PM

I once went 5 weeks w/o shaving… trying to remove all the hair was such a pain in the *ss
    kudos for Keisel for maintaining it

29. majikalmushr0om says: Feb 1, 2011 12:26 AM

and here I thought that a grizzly beard’s only purpose was to smuggle in contraband at airports…

30. majikalmushr0om says: Feb 1, 2011 12:33 AM

@bensstinkyfingers

“Unfortunately, beards don’t make you play football better, or make you tougher. (see George Micheal )Usually it’s the dudes who are little boys that want to be like real men (vikings, loggers, etc.) that grow the mountain man beards for a few months then gone once the boss (their wives, g-friends etc)make them shave em off.”

Yea say that to Chuck Norris and see what happens.

…On second thought, you won’t see what happens, Chuck Norris’ roundhouse is too fast to be caught by the naked eye.

31. JSpicoli says: Feb 1, 2011 2:28 AM

Brian Wilson called. He said get your own schtick.

32. bensstinkyfingers says: Feb 1, 2011 2:54 AM

@discosucs2005

And the real men are the ones on blogs mocking beards?
    ———————————————–
    Or are real men the ones on blogs mocking a real man mocking beards? On the topic of hair,do those BB”S you call cahones a favor and grow some hair, it’s cold out there you know. Go Packers.

33. 4dabears says: Feb 1, 2011 6:15 AM

I’m trying to decide which is worse- this waste of a story or the fact that Keisel is that retarded.

34. iluvwikileaks says: Feb 1, 2011 7:18 AM

4dabears? Maybe, you’re the retarded one. Huh?

By the way, how’s that Jay “The Sissy with No Heart” Cutler coming along for ya?

35. firethewalrus says: Feb 1, 2011 7:37 AM

I LOVE it! And I hate the Steelers…. As a Beard Aficionado that thing is glorious! A true inspiration to all…

36. panheadgirl7 says: Feb 1, 2011 9:15 AM

Lookin GOOD Keisel !!! Love the beard, love my Pittsburgh Steelers!!! Here We go Steelers!!!

37. patmacrevis says: Feb 1, 2011 9:55 AM

This beard is just a breathe of fresh hair. Simply Majestic. Can someone please report this guy to the moustache and beard association of America.

And as a caviat he can get an endorsement from Gillete to shave of that glorious follicular masterpiece.

38. Jack Burton says: Feb 1, 2011 5:40 PM

He should have worn a red flannel shirt and brought an axe to Media Day. He’s underrated like several of the Steelers defensive players.