QBs coach Whitfield discusses “Team Newton,” defends Cecil

SEC Championship - Auburn v South Carolina Getty Images

Auburn quarterback Cam Newton’s public workout scheduled for February 10 has drawn scrutiny as a “publicity stunt” attempting to upstage the NFL’s Scouting Combine later in the month. The perception is that Newton’s father, Cecil, played a major role in planning the workout.

NFL teams are leery of Cecil’s close and perhaps too-public association with his son’s decision making after Cecil nearly cost Cam his eligibility during the 2010 college season.

Newton’s personal quarterbacks coach, George Whitfield, is defending Cecil and insisting it was him — not Cam’s father or any member of “Team Newton,” as Whitfield calls Cam’s entourage — who was the driving force behind the workout.

“I hated that his dad’s name got stuck to that,” Whitfield told the Birmingham Press-Register. “His dad bounced it off of me, but the genesis behind that [was Whitfield]. I think Cam is ready. It will be a unique experience. The whole essence of this media workout is to unveil [Cam’s] progress.”

Whitfield has been closely associated with “Team Newton” since teaming up with Cam last Monday for pre-draft preparation and tutoring.

“It’s a very tight family,” Whitfield says.  “It’s like watching three best friends paling around the city. I feel sorry for their poor dad. They get on him with jokes and headlocks. It’s such a dynamic to see, knowing how much they’ve gone through.”

Whitfield, who worked with Ben Roethlisberger during the Super Bowl quarterback’s four-game suspension, is confident that the February 10 workout will help Newton’s draft stock.

“We’re committed to having a big test live and in public,” said Whitfield. “I’m going to push him to show not only his aptitude for the drop-back game, but his conditioning, his arm conditioning, his power, his touch.

“I don’t know a whole lot of other quarterbacks who would do this.”

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
18 Responses to “QBs coach Whitfield discusses “Team Newton,” defends Cecil”
  1. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jan 31, 2011 3:32 PM

“The perception is that Newton’s father, Cecil, played a major role in panning the workout.”

His own pops panned the workout? Bet you meant planned. Just funny typo that his own pops would pann it ;)

2. livenbreathefootball says: Jan 31, 2011 3:48 PM

So, this is really free marketing for Whitfield’s quarterback prep program.

Either way, Cam is getting really bad advice. No team wants a player that brings the circus with him to practice.

3. hobartbaker says: Jan 31, 2011 3:52 PM

They have no confidence that Son Of Cecil will be able to maintain fitness until the Combine (which he will not participate in), so they want to get him on the field asap to show his stuff while he still has some semblance of “game shape” from the BCS game.

4. ampats says: Jan 31, 2011 3:59 PM

Team Newton= Jason Campbell

5. hobartbaker says: Jan 31, 2011 4:01 PM

“With the next pick in the NFL draft, some pitiable souls take ‘TEAM NEWTON’ from various points around the country.”.

6. buffbillsfan438 says: Jan 31, 2011 4:04 PM

“His dad bounced it off of me”…OK, so he had nothing to do with except that he came up with the idea. Doesn’t make a lot of sense but, really, who cares?

7. tatum064 says: Jan 31, 2011 4:20 PM

ampats says: Jan 31, 2011 3:59 PM

Team Newton= Jason Campbell
    =============================

Jason Campbell = Raiders 28, Chargers 13

8. chazzmon says: Jan 31, 2011 4:28 PM

Team Newton, I think this team is driving his value down. I hope for Cam’s sake that 10 years down the road the only Newton we can remember if Fig.

9. hobartbaker says: Jan 31, 2011 4:29 PM

Cam is always more comfortable when he is the only person on the field. Eliminates needless clutter.

10. laxer37 says: Jan 31, 2011 4:47 PM

I’m giddy with excitement to see which team makes the mistake of taking this guy as their franchise QB in the first round.

Save the Mike Vick comparisons too, it’s taken Mike almost a decade to produce one productive season.

11. granadafan says: Jan 31, 2011 5:15 PM

Sounds like Newton is more trouble than he’s worth. By all accounts Cam sounds like a great kid with an exuberant (that means positive for you illiterates on PFT) attitude. The problem is, his entourage and overbearing father, who is living out his dream through his son, are going to bring him down with really bad advice.

12. jc1958coo says: Jan 31, 2011 5:20 PM

wait till he plays, is going to hire his daddy to be his spokes person!! my DADDY says!! lmao

13. cubano76 says: Jan 31, 2011 5:23 PM

Welcome to Washington, DC “Team Newton!”

14. Deb says: Jan 31, 2011 5:27 PM

“His dad bounced it off me” … which means it was Cecil’s idea. Dude is a natural born hustler.

15. jw731 says: Jan 31, 2011 5:31 PM

Just call it what it is…..”Team Meal Ticket”

16. brasho says: Jan 31, 2011 7:01 PM

thereisalwaysnextyear:

”It’s like watching three best friends paling around the city. ”

The typo you caught wasn’t the only one… I want to know what “paling” around the city means. I assume he meant “palling”… but whatever it is… the writing on this column was “appalling”.

I can just imagine the Newton boys putting ole Cecil in a headlock and giving them a hard time… “Awww dad, you trying to pimp me out for 250K… and I said I didn’t know… what a bunch of idiots to believe that!… ha ha!”

17. ickeywoods says: Jan 31, 2011 7:03 PM

”It’s like watching three best friends paling around the city. ”
    Paling? I think you mean “palling” unless their color was fading?

18. profootballwalk says: Jan 31, 2011 7:08 PM

Team Newton? Next we’ll be hearing from Juice and Fig.