Tim Masthay would be in the Peace Corps if he weren’t in the Super Bowl

Tim Masthay

Packers punter Tim Masthay was one of the stars of the NFC Championship Game, completely taking Bears return man Devin Hester out of the game with his hang time and directional kicks. But Masthay easily could be out of the NFL right now.

Masthay said at Super Bowl Media Day that he wasn’t sure if he’d be on an NFL roster at all in 2010, and he was looking at other options — options which pay a whole lot less than playing professional football.

“I have an interest in the Peace Corps,” Masthay said. “If I didn’t get picked up by another team, I’d probably be doing that right now.”

Masthay said that between the Colts cutting him in 2009 and the Packers signing him in 2010, he got by with a part-time teaching gig.

“I was released by the Colts and a free agent for about four or five months,” Masthay said. “During that time I was working out on my own and tutoring about 20 hours a week at the local university.”

A year later, Masthay’s fortunes have changed for the better. And although punters are easily overlooked, he’s a big reason the Packers are here.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
15 Responses to “Tim Masthay would be in the Peace Corps if he weren’t in the Super Bowl”
  1. calloustongue says: Feb 1, 2011 5:20 PM

Masthay’s been booting them brilliantly lately. Such a relief from the nightmare that was Kapinos last year.

Who’s that guy kicking for these days I wonder? Hehe.

2. keramidas21 says: Feb 1, 2011 5:26 PM

Masthay’s been great this year, I’m glad he’s on the Pack!

3. tfbuckfutter says: Feb 1, 2011 5:52 PM

A part time teaching gig?

I bet he was able to impress the students by telling them he used to be in the NFL.

I remember having a substitute teacher whose cousin was Animal from The Legion of Doom.

Granted, a WWF wrestling cousin is far more prestigious than a punter, but still, I bet he impressed his share of jailbait.

4. conseannery says: Feb 1, 2011 6:26 PM

Punting…the toughest job you’ll ever love.

5. nickynick04 says: Feb 1, 2011 6:55 PM

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen has been released from a California jail where he’s been held since his arrest for allegedly assaulting a police officer.

6. commandercornpone says: Feb 1, 2011 8:10 PM

if i was unemployed, i’d be in the peace corps too.

it’s a CIA front, ya know…

7. bluestree says: Feb 1, 2011 8:11 PM

Masthay has been a big part of the Packer’s success. Remember the Jets game? He’s been great in the playoffs. Just an outstanding kid.

8. somisseagle says: Feb 1, 2011 8:13 PM

Sounds like a punter to me.

9. puddinpouch says: Feb 1, 2011 8:48 PM

conseannery: That goes down in the Hall of Fame. I’m normally stoic and unamused, but that made me laugh aloud. Thanks, buddy.

10. garyman1 says: Feb 1, 2011 9:29 PM

11. packattack1967 says: Feb 1, 2011 10:44 PM

His game against the Bears(the last reg season game) was the best punting performance I can recall, ever.

12. packerbacker12 says: Feb 2, 2011 12:29 AM

“The Packers have struggled for years trying to replace Craig Hentrich. Masthay has been brilliant…especially in the NFC Championship game.”

Actually the Packers have had their share of good punters since Craig Hentrich. Players like Josh Bidwell and Jon Ryan.

It wasn’t until after Jon Ryan was released the Packers had a hard time finding a punter. They had to go through punters Derrick Frost and Jeremy Kapinos before finally finding a good punter.

13. stellarperformance says: Feb 2, 2011 6:44 AM

So, the latest stories this morning are Tim Masthay almost joining the Peace Corps and Hines Ward bar-hopping strip joints? Good vs Evil. I like it.

14. dukemarc says: Feb 2, 2011 10:25 AM

packerbacker12 says: Feb 2, 2011 12:29 AM

——————————–

Ryan and Bidwell were both average at best. It’s only when compared the to the atrocious punters that followed that they looked good. Remember Ryan’s game against the Bears in ’07? And Bidwell’s claim to fame was being Ryan Longwell’s boyfriend….I think Longwell still tears up when he hears Josh’s name. The last good punter we had was Hentrich, end of story.

15. ted1sheckler says: Feb 2, 2011 7:56 PM

Packattack: you obviously need to watch more than packer games. Or understand football more, or not be such a homer, or all three.