Keisel says he’ll dig ditches if there’s a lockout

Brett Keisel

Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel hopes that the NFL doesn’t lockout.

In a Wednesday press conference, Keisel spoke about the situation, expressing a strong desire to play football.  He said that, if there’s a lockout, he’ll earn money any way he knows how, in order to support his family.

Including digging ditches.

That said, he should be OK.  He earned $2.925 million in base salary this year.  Last year, he earned as base salary of $2.25 million.

And he seems to know he’ll be OK.  Though it’s hard to see what’s going on behind that beard and mustache, Keisel seemed to be kidding about having to dig ditches.  Judge it for yourself.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
55 Responses to “Keisel says he’ll dig ditches if there’s a lockout”
  1. joshsports6000 says: Feb 2, 2011 7:17 PM

did he clarify where he was going to dig ditches? There’s the sn Antonio region, wacka wacka region, and San Marino. Those are the three best places to dig those ditches deep in the holes…

2. trickbunny says: Feb 2, 2011 7:20 PM

Yawn.

3. drich83087 says: Feb 2, 2011 7:25 PM

The NFL and NFLPA need to Lock it Up!

4. duece5 says: Feb 2, 2011 7:28 PM

Maybe he should “dig” for a razor.

5. PFTiswhatitis says: Feb 2, 2011 7:32 PM

That beard alone should earn him another $2+ million.

6. homerpimpson says: Feb 2, 2011 7:36 PM

God, that beard is epic.

7. jimmysee says: Feb 2, 2011 7:37 PM

Good way to stay in shape!

8. hobartbaker says: Feb 2, 2011 7:38 PM

The ditches will be about 8′ x 4′ and 6′ deep. That is all that Kiesel would say at the moment, although he stressed that it would be in the best interests of both the league and union negotiators to reach settlement before he got too many of them dug.

9. bigbaldpapahawk says: Feb 2, 2011 7:38 PM

That beard is amazing.

10. rpiotr01 says: Feb 2, 2011 7:40 PM

They took ‘er jobs!!!

11. karlpilkington says: Feb 2, 2011 7:41 PM

Or maybe just maybe he could deliver presents.

12. cup1981 says: Feb 2, 2011 7:43 PM

Haha, gotta love Keisel. He’s freaking hilarious, one guy that has his head on straight and never take life too seriously. I hope he is a Steeler for life.

13. mikeschank says: Feb 2, 2011 7:47 PM

he’d be lucky to land a job as a serial killer

14. tfbuckfutter says: Feb 2, 2011 7:47 PM

I wouldn’t hire him to dig a ditch.

He’s neither qualified nor willing to work for a reasonable wage.

I can’t even think of a ditch that is worth $2 million. Unless it’s one separated Roethlisberger from the female population.

15. buckeyebengal says: Feb 2, 2011 7:47 PM

What do you expect him to say? That he’s going to cure cancer if there’s a lockout? News flash, after making almost 3 million last year alone, I don’t think too many people are sleepless about what he’s going to do if and when a lockout happens.

16. richm2256 says: Feb 2, 2011 7:48 PM

Have to dig a LOT of ditches at 2 1/4 mil a year.

17. 4evrnyt says: Feb 2, 2011 7:53 PM

Yea right and I’d volunteer 30 hours a week if I win the lottery.

18. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Feb 2, 2011 7:54 PM

That beard is amazing. But there is about as much a chance I will play in the NFL next season as he will be digging ditches. Feed his family? Give me a break.

19. acdrew22 says: Feb 2, 2011 7:55 PM

I think everyone is forgetting that keisel does have two incomes… his football income, and the beards income… that beard alone makes about half of what he does… ha ha I’m pretty sure in the event of a lock out… keisel can ask his beard for a loan to hold him over with the bills

20. sundaysundaysunday says: Feb 2, 2011 8:00 PM

With no Brady or Manning and a serial rapist left, the media has to find someone new to go down on…

21. commandercornpone says: Feb 2, 2011 8:07 PM

well hobart is right twice a day and this was one of them

22. dg0122 says: Feb 2, 2011 8:19 PM

he could dye that thing grey and be a mall Santa

23. saberstud75 says: Feb 2, 2011 8:19 PM

If there is a lockout there will be alot of people looking for jobs as ditch diggers.

24. firethorn1001 says: Feb 2, 2011 8:20 PM

Dig ditches?

Man.. dye that thing white and become Steeler-Claus and hand out Super Bowl trophies to all the good girls and boys.

Our, if you lose.. coal.

25. tluke25 says: Feb 2, 2011 8:23 PM

Somebody needs to give this guy an endorsement deal. If he did a razor commercial, it would be a huge hit. For crying out loud, his beard has its own facebook page. lol.

26. mswravens says: Feb 2, 2011 8:25 PM

I imagine there’s a lot of Steeler fans swimming through this thread…if so, go check out Jason Whitlock’s article online about Goodell’s treatment of Big Ben…I know that every last one of you will like what you read.

27. 3octaveFart says: Feb 2, 2011 8:26 PM

commandercornpone says: Feb 2, 2011 8:07 PM

“well hobart is right twice a day and this was one of them”

..so is a busted watch.

28. tucknrolle says: Feb 2, 2011 8:32 PM

I’ll hire him.. $11.50/hr as a laborer an extra $1.50 if he has a valid license and can drive a dumper… I could probably retire the tractor once I get him on the payroll

29. contract says: Feb 2, 2011 8:41 PM

“He’ll dig ditches? Wow, what a hard-nosed, no nonsense, blue collar, Joe six pack he is. Yawn.”

Yeah … these NFL defensive linemen don’t anything about doing physical labor for a living!

30. ilovefoolsball says: Feb 2, 2011 8:44 PM

I’m so sick of hearing about these millionaires talking about how “they’re going to feed their family”. Are you kidding me? Half a season’s game check would be enough to feed a family for many years if you didn’t blow it all on strippers, million dollar houses, and 7 mercedes.
    I know the billionaire owners are ridiculous for being so greedy but at least I don’t have to hear them whining about fake B.S.

31. defeetrexryan says: Feb 2, 2011 8:52 PM

There always seems to be that obligatory weird dude in championship games (Exhibit A: Brian Wilson – San Francisco Giants).

32. Jack Burton says: Feb 2, 2011 8:54 PM

Dude is awesome!

33. steelertom says: Feb 2, 2011 8:54 PM

He will get two paychecks. One for him. One for his beard. FEAR THE BEARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. majikalmushr0om says: Feb 2, 2011 9:03 PM

Dig ditches? I would be careful, Mark Sanchez’s relatives will be there and there is still a lingering animosity against the Steelers.

35. Deb says: Feb 2, 2011 9:05 PM

@jimmysee …

It would be a good way to stay in shape if he used a shovel. I believe he said he planned to use a backhoe.

36. goldsteel says: Feb 2, 2011 9:05 PM

That’s a majestic beard! A funny guy! Or as Alfred Newman would say, “What, me worry?”

37. jarrman46 says: Feb 2, 2011 9:14 PM

Is it holding when Chad Clifton drags this overated player around by his beard on Sunday?

38. igottz5onit says: Feb 2, 2011 9:30 PM

Hey, hobart finally had a good post. Nice!

39. commandercornpone says: Feb 2, 2011 9:43 PM

dont say backhoe, ben will come running

////////////////////

yes octave u get the reference

40. stersarepigs says: Feb 2, 2011 9:45 PM

My source says Pouncy has 3 broken bones in the ankle and is out, Smith’s MRI looked good, he’ll play. Troy P’s actually a game time decision, They’re keeping that under wraps. Keisel has an offer on the table to shave the beard in Vegas at a Gay strip club for $200,000, and has accepted. More later.

41. ravensrule says: Feb 2, 2011 9:55 PM

Dude, only P’burgh fans like you & thats only b/c you remind them of their drunken fathers

42. jc1958coo says: Feb 2, 2011 10:36 PM

43. steelergold says: Feb 2, 2011 11:11 PM

Dud, At least Pittsburgh Fans know who their fathers are, unlike raven fans.

44. ihateannouncers says: Feb 3, 2011 2:03 AM

Respect the beard!!
    Fear The Diesel!!

45. blackqbwhiterb says: Feb 3, 2011 7:31 AM

You never even heard of him until this year because the beard is different and unusual on camera. Brilliant marketing!!
    All you ever heard about on that D was Polamalu, and Harrison, maybe Casey Hampton because he’s so fat and huge. I say bravo to Kiesel, brilliant marketing. He’ll make more money off that beard than the Cheapass Rooneys will pay him. And he’s a wonderful D-Lineman too.

46. iluvwikileaks says: Feb 3, 2011 7:58 AM

My family drove through Baltimore once when I was a kid. I remember my dad telling us to roll up the windows and lock the doors.

47. moezilla says: Feb 3, 2011 9:04 AM

As a professional ditch digger for the last six years, I tried to do the math and figure out how many years digging ditches, at MY annual salary, that it would take to reach $2 point whatever million.

Then I realized that Fluffy McBeardenstein will NOT be digging ditches next season for any reason.

Please leave the actual work to us common folk and feel lucky to be paid a ridiculous amount of cash to play a game.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go and sharpen my shovel.

48. patpatriotagain says: Feb 3, 2011 9:06 AM

keisel was though to be considering careers in apple-seed planting, and pirating, although the latter would require black hair dye.

49. steelersmichele says: Feb 3, 2011 10:49 AM

jc1958coo says: well i guess he’ll do what ever for $$$ after a packers *ss whoopin! green bay 130 on the ground read em and weep!!! 34-24 not even close

Hmmm….seem to remember reading the same type of smack talk from Ravens fans and then Jets fans here the past few weeks. Look where that got them

50. linder10 says: Feb 3, 2011 4:33 PM

Hey look, who can see Santa digging ditches.

51. ppaacckkeerrss says: Feb 4, 2011 12:03 AM

steelersmichele says:

Last time i checked fans trash talking the other team didnt really affect the outcome of the game…

52. easyeddie says: Feb 4, 2011 12:49 PM

Is this one of those “shovel-ready’ jobs that Obama promised?

53. jimmysee says: Feb 4, 2011 4:34 PM

“Keisel says he’ll dig ditches if there’s a lockout

Now is that a threat or a promise?

I’m half-hopeing for a lockout to see to pictures of this guy working a real job.

54. newreality1 says: Feb 4, 2011 7:49 PM

There,s nothing wrong with digging ditches if you climb in with the rest of your team and cover it,, Just kidding steeler fans………………… Thank god I wont be going anywhere near pittsburgh this week

55. quittsburghsquealers says: Feb 7, 2011 7:39 AM

Keisel looks like the Lorax!

lol!