Source: Jay Gruden heading to Cincinnati

Gruden

Rumors are flying that the replacement for Bob Bratkowski will have a very familiar name.

Gruden.

A league source tells us that Jay Gruden, currently the head coach of the Virginia Destroyers of the UFL, will become the next offensive coordinator of the Bengals.  The source says the deal is done.

We’ve yet to obtain confirmation of that fact.

Gruden fits the player-acquisition profile that the Bengals have used in recent years.  He was arrested for DUI in 2005.

He’s the younger brother of former Raiders and Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
49 Responses to “Source: Jay Gruden heading to Cincinnati”
  1. ravensrule says: Feb 2, 2011 10:00 PM

Oh god, imagine how hard brother Johnny is going to stroke him if the Bungles ever get a MNF game….

2. liquidalfa says: Feb 2, 2011 10:06 PM

That’s special.

3. oruacat2 says: Feb 2, 2011 10:09 PM

If you read your own website’s “Police Blotter”, you’d see that it’s not a Bengals profile, it’s a league-wide profile.

4. abengalfan says: Feb 2, 2011 10:10 PM

Happy Same Decade
    Shades of Doogie Dave Shula all over again.
    Mikey gets a relative of someone good cheap.
    ravensrule you’re probably right, Chucky is the reason I mute MNF

5. jc1958coo says: Feb 2, 2011 10:14 PM

fit’s right in ! like i’ve said save the $$$ blame the plkayers! cincinnati is a joke! owners need to clean house, then bargain!

6. jupe says: Feb 2, 2011 10:15 PM

Destroyers looking for their 3rd HC before playing a down

7. conseannery says: Feb 2, 2011 10:18 PM

Ugh, I can’t stand holier-than-thou attitudes about DUIs. There but for the grace of God go any of us.

I’m not condoning driving under the influence, but let’s not pretend that we all haven’t been there and been thankful that we haven’t hurt someone or gotten caught.

8. mcdeez22 says: Feb 2, 2011 10:21 PM

Way to take a cheap shot at a guy who made one mistake six years ago. Congrats Jay.

9. stoutfiles says: Feb 2, 2011 10:24 PM

I don’t know why Al Davis is always voted the worst owner in football. He doesn’t come close to the travesty that is Mike Brown.

10. mountaindont says: Feb 2, 2011 10:25 PM

living near Cincy. I hope this guy knows the Bengals will never do anything until Mike Brown leaves. Every top player they have had there for the past 20 years has publicly stated they wanted out of Cincy. Mike Brown doesnt care about winning.

11. thetooloftools says: Feb 2, 2011 10:26 PM

The DUI comment in ghetto.

12. p4hbiz says: Feb 2, 2011 10:29 PM

Marvin Lewis can kiss that job goodbye!

13. nepats12 says: Feb 2, 2011 10:29 PM

eh.. well at least he’s better than cam cameron. so the bengals have THAT going for them…

14. bucks12965 says: Feb 2, 2011 10:32 PM

Has anyone ever seen Jay Gruden and Lane Kiffin together in the same location?

15. pftard says: Feb 2, 2011 10:32 PM

Great move…, now there’s NO reason for Carson Palmer to want to leave town.

Even the Browns laugh at this choice.

16. buckeyebengal says: Feb 2, 2011 10:36 PM

Typical Mike Brown. If you can’t get the real thing, get the closest thing to it for 1/10th the price. He probably thinks Bengals fans won’t know the difference.

17. whodeytn says: Feb 2, 2011 10:36 PM

Way to throw that DUI in there. Ben Roethlisberger rapes people.

18. mrone50 says: Feb 2, 2011 10:39 PM

What Bill Belicheck has no brother?

19. theman1932 says: Feb 2, 2011 10:44 PM

I hope you realize they have stayed out of trouble for the most part in the past few years. Besides, they have never done anything serious like dog fighting, killed a man while drunk (stallworth), or raped two women

20. jarfitz says: Feb 2, 2011 10:54 PM

cheap shot on a 6 year old dui…….

21. goodguyjohn says: Feb 2, 2011 10:56 PM

You failed to mention that Jon was also busted for a DUI in Pleasanton, CA while coach of the Raiders. So that means Jon would also fit the player-acquisition profile. Just sayin

22. aldavisisthenfl says: Feb 2, 2011 11:06 PM

DUI’s seem to run in the family…

23. fooath says: Feb 2, 2011 11:07 PM

Getting their foot in the door with the Gruden family.

24. mackenzie83 says: Feb 2, 2011 11:08 PM

I hate to say this but bye bye United Football League.

25. pftareraiderhaters says: Feb 2, 2011 11:13 PM

the sequel chucky 2

26. popdawg99 says: Feb 2, 2011 11:14 PM

I like this guy Jay Gruden. This guy is not afraid to be a offensive coordinator. This guy comes into Cincinnati with a solid history in the UFL. I sat down with Jay yesterday and, let me tell ya, this guy knows football. This guy Jay Gruden has a great chance to be a coach in the National Football League for a long time. Jaws, I like this guy.

27. ronnyhanson says: Feb 2, 2011 11:17 PM

Hey babe, no need to hate on the Bengals hiring practices.

28. popdawg99 says: Feb 2, 2011 11:22 PM

John Gruden on this move:

29. mataug says: Feb 2, 2011 11:26 PM

There’s only one Chucky.

30. quizguy66 says: Feb 2, 2011 11:37 PM

More than a couple former Bengals played on the Tuskers I thought.

Did the Bengals pay the UFL’s $25,000 transfer fee to get him?

-QG

31. superbengalfan says: Feb 2, 2011 11:41 PM

I’ll bet what set him apart was a willingness to work cheap. Mike Brown held off letting go of Bratkowski because he was still under contract for next year, so since he will be paying Bratkowski the new guy has to be a bargain basement kind of guy. Mike Brown also likes Football names, ala the Dave Shula head coaching fiasco. The name Gruden will do, especially on the cheap.

32. kazkal says: Feb 2, 2011 11:42 PM

I am liking the move he’s young he seems to have the right kind spark…I do worry about his lack of experience being he has very little nfl Experience…But maybe Jon will send over a play book…

PS,Screw you guys on the DUI Comment can we stop the jokes? Bengals have had very little issues since 2006 yet people still rip on them for that 2 year span.
    There have been much worse teams when it comes to Arrests/knuckleheads.

33. coachstram says: Feb 3, 2011 12:10 AM

Better get used to him, Cincy.

Youre looking at the 2012 Head Coach.

34. jhorton83 says: Feb 3, 2011 12:14 AM

popdawg99 says:
    Feb 2, 2011 11:14 PM
    ————————————————-

That made me spit up my drink. Thank you. Seriously though, I have no idea why some people think Jon Gruden is a good announcer. His mind-numbingly stupid cookie-cutter comments are just painful to listen to for anyone with a brain. Somebody PLEASE hire him as a head coach so I don’t have to listen to his “insightful” commentary again.

35. randomcommenter says: Feb 3, 2011 12:55 AM

Jay Gruden must have been excited to receive that collect call from the Bengals.

Yes sir Mr Gruden, there’s a first class bus ticket waiting for your trip to Cincinnati

36. jaygruden says: Feb 3, 2011 1:45 AM

Mrone50.
    to coach offense?
    kazkal.
    2 words..frostee rucker…2006 really?

37. cup1981 says: Feb 3, 2011 2:24 AM

Bring on the criminals Cinci!! bring ‘em on lol.

38. lawyermalloy says: Feb 3, 2011 5:52 AM

Yet another OC thrust upon Marvin.Mike Brown thinks that since “brother” is in place already Jon will take the job next year.

39. realitypolice says: Feb 3, 2011 7:17 AM

Perfect Mike Brown hire. Desperate to get back into the league, will work for food.

40. thesixthcity says: Feb 3, 2011 7:51 AM

That sounds about right the Bungals signing a UFL coach. What all the AFL coaches were to busy? Maybe you should of called Vince McMan to see if any of the old XFL coaches were available. He Hate Me what a great name.

41. Kaz says: Feb 3, 2011 8:35 AM

Flo, still thowing out 6 year old tired Bengals arrest jokes….. It’s 2011….

42. realitypolice says: Feb 3, 2011 8:41 AM

fooath says:
    Feb 2, 2011 11:07 PM
    Getting their foot in the door with the Gruden family.
    ==============

I’ll assume you’re joking.

If that is their thinking, they’re even crazier than I thought.

I don’t think Jon Gruden has sat out this long because he was holding out for an opportunity to make minimum wage working in a loony bin.

43. jm91rs says: Feb 3, 2011 8:51 AM

I’m disappointed that everyone is using this as an opportunity to rip on Dave Shula. Are you guys forgetting that he led this team to a big 7 win season once? How about the fact that he was instrumental in the drafting of David Klinger and Ki-Jana Carter? We all owe him a debt of gratitude for the fine job he did running our team after that miserable run of playoff appearances by Sam Wyche.

44. jtsticks says: Feb 3, 2011 9:24 AM

First of all, who says he is coming cheap??

He has had successful being a coach at other levels.

Who says he is Mike’s choice and not Marvin’s. You guys make a lot of assumptions.

As to the DUI..it is one infraction 6 years ago and was a low blow. There are millions of DUI arrests every year, not condoning it, but I think the NFL and the press over reacts to them when a player/coach gets his first, especially today with the .8 level considered being drunk….

45. realitypolice says: Feb 3, 2011 9:39 AM

jtsticks says:
    Feb 3, 2011 9:24 AM
    First of all, who says he is coming cheap??
    ======================

Everyone who understands how the Bengals have always conducted their business.

Everyone who understands that Jay Gruden, after years and years and toiling away in the AFL and UFL would have cut off his left hand to get back in the NFL.

In other words, everyone who isn’t a Bengals fan.

46. jtsticks says: Feb 3, 2011 9:54 AM

YES, PLEASE HIRE HIM TO GET HIM OFF THE AIR!!! He likes to hear himself talk.

47. fatguystrangler says: Feb 3, 2011 10:01 AM

Yeah, there are plenty of people who drive under the influence in all walks of life, that don’t get caught. Let’s call a spade a spade here.

48. abshire22 says: Feb 3, 2011 10:33 AM

Cheap shot.

49. rgwhodey says: Feb 3, 2011 10:38 AM

@oruacat2 says:
    Feb 2, 2011 10:09 PM

——————————————-

Couldn’t have said it better my self, every day there is a new arrest and mult teams have mult offenders but it always seems to be the bengals thats get called out on it.. Weird..