It’s Todd Haley’s offense in Kansas City now

Wild Card Playoffs - Baltimore Ravens v Kansas City Chiefs Getty Images

While Kermit didn’t get the gig, the Chiefs found an offensive coordinator that is used to watching a strong-minded head coach run the show.

Kansas City promoted veteran offensive line coach Bill Muir to offensive coordinator on Thursday.  Chris Mortensen had the report first.  Muir was in Tampa as a coordinator during Jon Gruden’s run calling plays for the Bucs.

Coach Todd Haley will likely take over the play-calling duties in Kansas City.   Muir won’t come to the Chiefs with the same strong offensive voice in terms of bringing a system like Chan Gailey and Charlie Weis did over the last two years.

The Chiefs made it clear that Muir won’t even give up offensive line duties.  So the Chiefs essentially just decided to subtract Weis from the offensive staff rather than make any big changes.

This is Haley’s offense now, sink or swim.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
23 Responses to “It’s Todd Haley’s offense in Kansas City now”
  1. arrogantathlete says: Feb 3, 2011 12:54 PM

sink

2. stoutfiles says: Feb 3, 2011 12:55 PM

As an previous offensive line coach who knows the system and a team with two great running backs, this move could be great for the run game. At the very least he should be more loyal than Weis was.

3. sdboltaction says: Feb 3, 2011 12:55 PM

Sink, baby! Sink!

4. BC says: Feb 3, 2011 1:05 PM

Why does Haley just come off as a total chipwich?

5. sowcrates says: Feb 3, 2011 1:07 PM

Say what you want about Todd Haley, his origin was a WRs coach and he made Dwayne Bowe look like a legitimate WR this year.

Cassel and Bowe both didn’t produce much against better teams this past year, but producing against inferior opponents is a lot better than not producing at all.

6. Darth Goodell says: Feb 3, 2011 1:09 PM

Josh McDaniels 2.0. The Chiefs showed promise this year, but Haley will continue grabbing power until he sends the franchise back to the cellar.

7. micnasty says: Feb 3, 2011 1:10 PM

Jason Whitlock wrote about this a few weeks ago. He was also the first to say over a year ago that Haley was going to run this team into the ground and get fired. I hope it happens, GO Raiders!

8. indywilson40 says: Feb 3, 2011 1:12 PM

4th!!!!!!

9. coachstram says: Feb 3, 2011 1:33 PM

Crap!

How bout this, let HIM be coordinator, and hire a secure. level headed coach.

Like I’ve said, he’s got one more season to win me over.

10. awdlmd says: Feb 3, 2011 1:36 PM

Unless Weis contributed absolutely nothing (of course that’s not the case), the Chefs offense will regress.

11. rdssc says: Feb 3, 2011 1:39 PM

And people wonder how teams go from first to last in one season in the NFL. It just takes on bad decision to torpedo a team back to the basement.

12. terpface says: Feb 3, 2011 1:57 PM

Its always been his offense..

13. trenaro says: Feb 3, 2011 2:03 PM

Mike in KC.

Knew this would happen. Decent team that could be much improved with a good draft – and a couple of free agent moves.

But……….

Haley (King Carl II) will sink next year with a brutal schedule

Cowher in 2012.

14. bigdawg24 says: Feb 3, 2011 2:33 PM

Horrible…. The problem is Haley will use Muir as an excuse next year when they suck.

I can already hear it in 2012….. Todd Haley say, “I have learned my lesson as a head coach that I need to hire someone to call the plays besides me. Next year we will get it right”.

No accountability…. The Cheeps will milk this 10-6 season for the next 4 years.

15. tdk24 says: Feb 3, 2011 3:03 PM

“So the Chiefs essentially just decided to subtract Weis from the offensive staff rather than make any big changes.”

Um, i believe Weis decided to subtract himself from the offensive staff.

16. coachstram says: Feb 3, 2011 3:48 PM

COWHER!

17. Dynasty says: Feb 3, 2011 4:29 PM

Jamaal Charles! This guy will be behind a familar line for a few years. As long as Cassell learns to put more behind those lagging passes, the Chiefs offence is going to flourish for a few years. Charles people. Remember Charles! This kid is for real.

18. riverhorsey says: Feb 3, 2011 4:34 PM

Fine with me, I want Haley to have control of the offense.

He was coach of the year imo.

19. tatum064 says: Feb 3, 2011 5:09 PM

Weis saw an imminent implosion coming, he knew better and split (for a coordinator position, not a head coaching position?!)

Crennel was too loyal a guy to his players, so he’ll stay.

Haley does a lot of yelling on the sidelines, even when things are going right, so like one poster says,

“one decision, and it’ll run the team into the ground.”

20. aaronp2098 says: Feb 3, 2011 5:35 PM

Let me take you back a year
    Haley said and I quote I was way over my head thinking I could call offensive plays AND be a head coach. Now they hire the Offensive Line Coach and while they were at it made sure everyone knew that Haley WOULD be making the calls on offense.
    2 things

We SUCKED when he did this last time at NO POINT should a head coach call plays (maybe a few plays a game but not all)

I quote Haley now “When I was O.C it was too much I was worried about too much.
    –Now Pioli being Exec of the year he should have stepped in(way earlier I think) and done the search himself. Can’t believe the relationship with McDaniels(If he would have signed) would have been worse then Haley and Weis…More reasons to think we caught lighting in a bottle. WE HAVE TO HAVE SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP THE QB FIT IN A SYSTEM THAT WORKS FOR HIM ala Weis

21. aaronp2098 says: Feb 3, 2011 5:42 PM

Just read the comment about putting Haley as O.C and hiring a Head Coach even though I know there is a better chance of me winning two mega millions lottery tix when they are over 100 million I would LOVE THIS! What if we had Cowher at HC, Haley is OC, and Romeo at D.C…How great would that be?

22. mystereo says: Feb 4, 2011 12:37 AM

I’m amazed Pioli can remain so quiet with Haley making these stupid decisions. It was obvious Pioli brought in Weis and Crennel to right the ship and it got them to the playoffs. I can’t believe he would allow Haley to make this idiotic decision. It’s almost as if Pioli is letting Haley hang himself.

23. jpopejoy says: Feb 5, 2011 1:15 PM

“Crap!

How bout this, let HIM be coordinator, and hire a secure. level headed coach.

Like I’ve said, he’s got one more season to win me over.”
    —————

why is it people aren’t giving credit to Haley for a) changing the midset of this team, and b) preparing this team like crazy.

the guy works relentlessly. and if you need an extra season for a coach who took over a team w/ 3 wins, and was 10-6, hosting a home playoff game “one more season to win [you] over”, you should probably just become a new york fan…b/c that’s how reasonable that statement is.