Jennings to Rodgers before final drive: “This is where legacies are made”

Super Bowl Football

Greg Jennings and Aaron Rodgers fully understood what was at stake before the biggest and ultimately final drive of a magical 2010 season.  They embraced he moment.

“I told Aaron before we started that drive: ‘This is where legacies are made. This is the time to be great,'” Jennings told PFT in the locker room after the game.

“Let’s make it happen,” Rodgers responded.

And then he responded on the field.  It’s not quite Joe Montana pointing out John Candy, but a number of Packers teammates said Rodgers stayed cool in the huddle throughout.

“A-Rod came in the huddle and told us ‘We’ve been here before. Yeah, it’s the Super Bowl, but we’ve been in this situation before,’ receiver James Jones said. “Story of our season.”

The Packers didn’t put the game away with a touchdown, but Rodgers’ third down laser to Greg Jennings on third-and-ten was the biggest play of the game.  It allowed Green Bay to take almost five more minutes off the clock and gave them a six-point lead.

Jennings bemoaned the fact that he couldn’t score on the play, believing he should have got past Troy Polamalu to score.

Ultimately, however, Rodgers and Jennings did enough to truly start building their legacies.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
46 Responses to “Jennings to Rodgers before final drive: “This is where legacies are made””
  1. pervyharvin says: Feb 7, 2011 10:44 AM

OMG! Spare me these Rudy like stories. We will never know if they are true or not. Easy to say anything after the win. The real story is why didn’t the time tested Steelers show up last night? They were sleep walking

2. quittsburghsquealers says: Feb 7, 2011 10:45 AM

All that really matters is that Pittsburgh didn’t win this game…

3. 8man says: Feb 7, 2011 10:50 AM

Yep. A touchdown would have been far more monumental and would have provided a fitting punctuation to the evening. However, the 5:27 they burned off of the clock was truly the critical factor since it didn’t yield a TD.

The penalty on Fox and lack of timeouts for the Steelers sealed their fate.

4. spawnsacs says: Feb 7, 2011 10:51 AM

Cue Pervy and his “Packers got lucky” post. One fact you fail to acknowledge….Rodgers QB rating in these playoffs is 111.9….and that is with a 55.9 QB rating in the Bears game. Chew on that. We’ll send you a picture of the Lombardie trophy.

Percy…are you leading the charge to send a bunch of Vikings bums down to Mississippi to put up another billboard to help Brett come back? Or are you going to boast on here how great the Vikings will be next year with Vince Young at the helm……

Again…LA is warm this time of year…start planning……

5. cheatsburgh says: Feb 7, 2011 10:51 AM

thank you Green Bay for making this potentially very long offseason better.

6. madtolive5 says: Feb 7, 2011 10:52 AM

If the Pack lost this game on a Steelers game winning drive in the last two minutes. The story would be about Mike McCarthy’s horrible time management skills. How do you give the Steelers a chance to get the ball on a kickoff with 2:07 with one time out left?

7. adipaola says: Feb 7, 2011 10:58 AM

I find it hard to believe that no announcers, blogs, journalists, journalists in press conferences and even coaches can’t see that William Gay is the biggest secondary liability I have ever seen. What did he get burned for…11 completions and 2 tds? Makes me sick to my stomach to watch this guy. And NO ONE seems to acknowledge how awful he really is.

8. stellarperformance says: Feb 7, 2011 10:58 AM

pervyharvin says:
    Feb 7, 2011 10:44 AM
    ———————————————–

I don’t know what game you watched but I saw a very good Pittsburgh team show up….I also saw a better Packer team show up. You can only hope the Viking coaches taped all the Packer games this year…because THAT is how it’s done….not the Vikings’ wish-and-a-prayer style.

9. mvp43 says: Feb 7, 2011 11:00 AM

pervyharvin says:
    Feb 7, 2011 10:44 AM

————————————–

The Packers defense is why the Steelers were “sleep walking”. The better team won, simple as that.

10. pervyharvin says: Feb 7, 2011 11:09 AM

stellarperformance…Come on man! Any true student of football knows the Steelers offense was horrible yesterday.Their D lacked Steel Curtain intensity. Sure Tomlin was fuming.

I’m happy for you Cheesers really. I mean, you live in a third world country(Wisconsin) You lack the entertainment, pretty women and culture of your surrounding states(MN) Maybe thats why God gave WI the Lombardi and titles. To just give the little people a nugget of hope to get through their miserable existence.Congrats

11. calloustongue says: Feb 7, 2011 11:09 AM

Sleepwalking is just a stupid euphemism excuse makers use.

I believe the proper term is outplayed.

12. bearsblow says: Feb 7, 2011 11:18 AM

Man an I tired of Jones being a choker. He really needs to get his head in the game. 4qrts James!

13. sammievee says: Feb 7, 2011 11:19 AM

Legacy moment? Here is a reality check for this non-story sensationalism…….they only got a field goal and put the ball in Ben’s hands with 2.10 and a Pit time out in the pocket! That is not exactly a drive that creates legacies. A TD might have done the trick, perhaps a significantly depleted Pack defense stopping Pitt on the final drive deserved more attention?

14. pervyharvinstears says: Feb 7, 2011 11:27 AM

How amazing is it to see how sad and bitter Pervy Harvin is? Talked sooooooo much trash last year when his Vikings were the all the talk, and of course they choked with Favre…and of course they are now a middle of the pack team with all the expensive free agents. Now its all about the Packers, great QB and a young nucleus set up for years to come. Bashed Ted Thompson, now he is a no doubt top 5 GM in the league. Then of course when there is nothing to say bad about the Packers, he attacks Wisconsin, which is hilarious if he is from Minnesota. Maybe he is from LA tho, anticipating that new franchise.

15. pervyharvin says: Feb 7, 2011 11:28 AM

I, being a man that only tells it like it is and has forgotten more football than most of you Pack fans know, has one observation that will give you Pack fans a chubby. Aaron Rodgers may be the best QB in the NFL. Laser accuracy and a greasy elusiveness in the pocket. That i will admit.

16. clusterpuck says: Feb 7, 2011 11:34 AM

Steelers didnt show up?

They had more yards, about a 7 minute advantage in time of possession, better 3rd down conversion, more first downs, fewer penalties and a chance to win it on the last drive.

I’d say they showed up.

3 turnovers to none is why they lost.

17. bigdan7885 says: Feb 7, 2011 11:36 AM

“Remember kid, there’s heroes and there’s legends. Heroes get remembered but legends never die, follow your heart kid, and you’ll never go wrong. ” -Greg Jennings

18. gunnyd says: Feb 7, 2011 11:36 AM

Sounds like Pervyharvin must have lost a few bucks on the Steelers. The reason the Steelers looked like “they didn’t show up” might have had something to do with the Packers!!!

19. bbpats says: Feb 7, 2011 11:37 AM

I wonder where the guys who started bringbackbrettfavre.com are these days????
    GB fans should worship the ground Ted Thompson walks on since he had the balls to tell favre to hit the bricks.

20. geebs4all says: Feb 7, 2011 11:44 AM

Pack fans know more than pervy ever will; you dont understand we were BORN with this legacy and pass ALL down to our children. “playing the game” has no th ing to do wi th it!

21. supashug says: Feb 7, 2011 11:48 AM

nice, a feel good, I bet there are 50 of those statements made each drive of the game, but they can post each one of them, they deserve it.

The only reason Pitt was in the game is because of dropped balls by GB. They could have been down by 28 at half. They were exposed in every facet except the running game which had some spark when Wodson went out. GB lost the best defensive player in the game behind Clay and top receiver. They still made the Steelers look bad.

Bye Steelers

22. superalpha says: Feb 7, 2011 11:49 AM

Pervy said:

“You lack the entertainment, pretty women and culture of your surrounding states(MN)”

Wow, I’ve been to MN and have seen what passes for culture and ‘pretty women.’ So Wisconsinites, thank God you’re lacking. Nice people in MN, though some of the fattest and whitest, not to mention a few of the dumbest.

Incidentally, I live in NYC and my town crushes your state culturally and otherwise, so I know far more than you do about it. Given the choice between WI and MN I’d take WI. Twin Cities are all right but I’ll take Milwaukee or Madison any day. Mpls is basically Oslo West, with a huge mall. That’s culture?

Anyway, you sound incredibly bitter. Like a Philly fan. You should be happy to live within a few miles of championship football. Calm down, lay off the Dairy Queen/Arby’s/Grain Belt, and try to be happy for your better looking and more worldly neighbors to the east.

Hey Green Bay, NYC salutes you.

23. gbpackersfan12 says: Feb 7, 2011 11:50 AM

Pervy–

I completely understand your hate filled rants about the Pack, most GB fans feel the same way about the Queens. The difference is now we are Super Bowl Champs… AGAIN!

What I can’t figure out is your take on the state of WI. I’m assuming you are from MN…. is this some kind of joke. I travel to MN from WI often, and they are practically the same damn state. Same weather, same seasons, tons of lakes, same midwest people, same scenery…..

Hate away, but know while we both live and breathe in this freezing asss cold weather, my team just won a Super Bowl, and yours…. well good luck with that.

24. medialovesthecowboys says: Feb 7, 2011 11:55 AM

I don’t know about you all, but in my opinion, Rodgers is a gamer. Period.

I’m a Cowboys fan.

25. jdandcoke says: Feb 7, 2011 11:56 AM

if you want to know where legacies are made then check out eli’s drive to beat the pats, when anything other than a TD would have resulted in a loss. the packers drive was fine but they already had the lead when it started.

and dont tell me about rogers being a better qb than eli….i know…but thats not the point.

26. nickynick04 says: Feb 7, 2011 12:00 PM

pervyharvin says:
    Feb 7, 2011 11:28 AM

Wow…I am impressed…I thought this guy was an idiot….

27. commoncents says: Feb 7, 2011 12:01 PM

jENNINGS SHOULD HAVE SPOKEN TO THE OTHER gb RECIEVERS BEFORE THE GAME ABOUT HOW CATCHING THE BALL IS HOW LEGACIES ARE BUILT…

28. stairwayto7 says: Feb 7, 2011 12:01 PM

The Packers did not win division and lost to the Lions, skins and Dolphins! No legacy! Just luck!

29. katmanduu says: Feb 7, 2011 12:02 PM

EGADS!! After two weeks of smacktalk back and forth, time to shake hands. Hell, it looked like the players got along better than the fans on these posts!! As a devout Steeler fan, I thought at the start of the 4’th quarter, the Steelers were prime to take the game. But the Packers did what champs do: they made the plays in the 4’th quarter. The defense forced the Mendenhall fumble and Rodgers made some key third down passes…..no dink and dunks….30 yard lasers. They also didn’t turn the ball over. The Steelers played hard and didn’t blink. The penalties were even, although Pittsburgh’s were at the worst possible times all game. The Steelers O-Line was terrific and got the job done. But Ben was a bit off. They had their chances, but Green Bay played better. They deserved the win and my hat’s off to the Packer Backers and your team. Props to you all. See you next season….if there is one.

30. purpleisreallypinkyouknow says: Feb 7, 2011 12:03 PM

pervyharvin says:
    Feb 7, 2011 11:28 AM

___________________________________

Yeah, the last time I checked, MN was one of the worst places to live. Good thing you guys have all those stunning super models up there to cuddle up and stay warm with. What a joke.

Not sure if you’re a man, or a 14 year old with internet access, but something tells me you may be up for some changes in your medication. I would like to see one shred of evidence that you know more about the game of football than ANYONE on this entire site. Your indepth (more like inept) summation of the league this year and last year were equalled only by the can of Coke Zero sitting here next to me at my desk. You tell nothing like it is and do little more here than try to work in fat jokes or incest…things that are far more rampant in MN than anywhere else.
    If you had any brains in your 14 year old skull, you’d find a better use of this amazing mental gift you seem to think you have, and would either use it to make some better choices during the lovely segments we get to read here or would just be smart enough to go away like the 15 other Viking fan douches who have had enough sense pull the pin.

Stay positive, buddy. The draft is only 2-1/2 months away and when the Vikes grab the next “sure thing” you can let us all know how unbeatable your team in dark pink will be….for the 4th straight year. Cross your fingers that the Vikes can somehow land Vince Young. Lord knows, the Vikings make quite a living on NFL retreads and has-beens.

31. buckfigben says: Feb 7, 2011 12:10 PM

PIttsburgh was so relaxed they forgot to show up for the game. All the talk about experience was just that. Steelers never led, and their playmakers looked old and flat footed. Nice win by the Packers. They earned it. If Packers WRs could hold on to the ball this game would have been over before the 4th quarter.

32. polamalusboyfriend says: Feb 7, 2011 12:17 PM

According to most Pittsburgh fans here, I thought they were made in bathroom stalls.

33. hscorpio says: Feb 7, 2011 12:53 PM

Rodgers was incredible yesterday. Probably about another 100-125 yards and 1 or 2 more TDs slipped through the fingers of the Packers WRs. I thought he faced more pressure than Big Ben had, too.

But, like everything the Packers did this year, there were other huge contributions. Namely 3 turnovers and one final defensive stand in a playoff run that has been full of them. This one was without Woodson and Shields, which made it much more impressive, IMO.

34. JimmySmith says: Feb 7, 2011 12:57 PM

pervyharvin says:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Ah, the moment I have been waiting for. Pervy, the poster who missed nearly 100% of his (assuming you are a male, probably of the BrINT size variety, but a stub never the less) predictions during the playoff run blesses us with his good wishes.

In turn, I will wish you well. Here is something to hang your hat on, the Packers dressed 53 players for the Superbowl, had another 16 on IR and will draft 7 more this spring. Considering how the Vikings just love the Packer rejects and the Packers will only carry 53 players next year, there are approximately 20 players that the Packers must cut and the Vikings could almost revamp half their team. Granted, that wouldn’t get the Vikings much closer to the Superbowl but why upset a 35 year tradition?

In the meantime, you are welcome to attend a Superbowl parade, it will be fun.

35. pftequalsgreatjournalism says: Feb 7, 2011 1:11 PM

pervyharvin says:
    Feb 7, 2011 11:28 AM

Wow…I am impressed…I thought this guy was an idiot….

———————–

Relax Nicky; Rainman just had a moment of lucidity…

36. jwil444 says: Feb 7, 2011 1:11 PM

the best season ever, sweep the vikings and favre, then win the super bowl!!! HELL YEA!!!!

37. pervyharvin says: Feb 7, 2011 1:19 PM

Sweeping the Vikings WAS your SB…

38. iwishiwasindc says: Feb 7, 2011 1:40 PM

LOVE this site…only been on it this year, so I missed all of pervyharvin’s former “brilliant” musings. As in other years since ‘Skins won the THIRD of their SB’s, have had to pick another team once we were out…too often lately, but doesn’t change my loyalties. Last year I hooked onto Saints early (plus am French descent and teacher)…this year we started rooting for the Packers towards the end of the regular season. What a thrill ride and some awesome football! Real fans gotta give credit where it’s due and it’s due big time today. Awesome QB…wish we had him. Great stories all around. Enjoy, Packer fans…you deserve it.

39. jarrman46 says: Feb 7, 2011 1:54 PM

Why does everyone assume pervy is a man. He does have a screenname named after another grown man. I think she is an 80 year old grandma. We all know pervy cried herself to sleep last night. She now has to wait to the new schedule comes out so she can say who the Packers will lose to next.

40. iwishiwasindc says: Feb 7, 2011 2:11 PM

As a woman and a future grandma I resent the above remark! (Just a little, tho’). If he’s a guy who’s obsessed with gay jabs and had to work “chubby” into his Mon. a.m. comments, what’s he REALLY thinkin’? Just sayin’…

41. pervyharvin says: Feb 7, 2011 2:14 PM

You can thank Favre for Aaron being good.

On the wisdom that Brett Favre imparted to him in their time at Green Bay:

“That was a valuable time, it really was. I really learned a lot about practice habits from him, and I think you realize as a young player that a lot of the time, the practice goes as the top player or top leader goes. Practice time is so vital to the success of the team, so he would every day bring energy and enthusiasm, and I learned a lot of important lessons like that.”

Embrace Favre Packer morons…

42. jarrman46 says: Feb 7, 2011 2:23 PM

I apoligize to any 80 year old grandmas I may have insulted by comparing Pervy to you. You ladies deserve better treatment than that

43. spawnsacs says: Feb 7, 2011 3:29 PM

pervyharvin says:
    Feb 7, 2011 2:14 PM
    You can thank Favre for Aaron being good.

On the wisdom that Brett Favre imparted to him in their time at Green Bay:

Embrace Favre Packer morons…

Be jealous of another Lombardie Trophy in the hands of the Packers Pervy. Rodgers comments are what you call class. Maybe you and Favre should try it sometime.

Oh, and “Sweeping the Vikings WAS your SB…”…no, actually the Superbowl was our Superbowl. The Vikings Superbowl was beating the Packers twice last year. Where do you keep the trophy for that?

Just think of it this way Pervy, your beloved Vikings finished behind a team that has won exactly 1 road game in 3 1/2 seasons. Congratulations!!!!!

44. granadafan says: Feb 7, 2011 4:26 PM

Uh, actually Favre did very little to help Rodgers and actively went out of his way to shun the young guy. The stories are out there if you care to look. Also, read the quote very carefully, Pervy. Nowhere does it say Favre TAUGHT him about preparation. Rodgers learned by observation and not from any active teaching. Face it, your sexter hero was anything but a mentor.

45. JimmySmith says: Feb 7, 2011 5:25 PM

pervyharvin says:
    Feb 7, 2011 2:14 PM
    You can thank Favre for Aaron being good.

On the wisdom that Brett Favre imparted to him in their time at Green Bay:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By that logic, T Jack Off should be a solid starter in the NFL after 2 seasons sitting behind BrINT.

How’s that working out for you?

46. dwhitehurst says: Feb 7, 2011 10:14 PM

PurvyHervy says:
    Feb 7, 2011 2:14 PM

You can thank Favre for Aaron being good.
    —————-

Text on Pervy’s Phone:

“Hey Pervy, this is Frett Bavre. I heard you’re now working at Cinnabon at Southdale Mall. Glad to see you landed on your feet. Sorry the Vikes let you go…I mean, what you do in private is nobody else’s business. Sure, it was in our locker room, but you were always discreet. Childress is a pain in the ass (in a bad way). Anyways, I heard you still are doing “massage” on the side. Do you have any time after work? I’m home alone tonight. I’d love to meet. I need some ‘therapy’–you just don’t know how it feels to not be with a woman in 3 weeks! Well, ok, yeah, you do know how that is, but hey, you’re boyfriend can come too. If you’re not willing to take one for your favorite team, can you take one for your favorite playah? Hope you can squeeze me in. (Let me ‘put er in the old vice!’ Ha ha!) I promise to say your name, call you my little Viqueen—Randy told me you like that. I’ve got my own special rendition of “Pants on the ground” ready to go just for you. Later Pervy. Frett, Your Viking. (P.S. Sorry I never got around to getting you a signed photo you kept asking for. But hey, here’s a pic 4 u I think you’ll enjoy a lot more. ;)