Mayock: As many as nine defensive ends could go in the first

Clemson v Auburn Getty Images

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has been following the postseason all-star game circuit over the past several weeks, making stops in Orlando for the East-West Shrine, Mobile for the Senior Bowl, and San Antonio for the NFLPA game (formerly “Texas vs. Nation”). Mayock appeared on Total Access Monday evening for an update on the most talented position in this year’s draft class.

It’s defensive end by a long shot. Mayock projected as many as nine defensive ends being drafted in the first round, adding “You’re certainly gonna see seven or eight.”

Mayock pinpointed Clemson’s Da’Quan Bowers as the cream of this year’s crop, calling him a “top-five pick” with the potential to go No. 1 overall to the Panthers.

Added Mayock of Wisconsin defensive end J.J. Watt, “He’s a beast. He’s a first-round pick.” Mayock says he just finished watching tape on Watt, and ranked the onetime Central Michigan tight end as the premier 3-4 defensive end in the 2011 class. Cal’s Cameron Jordan and Ohio State’s Cameron Heyward are second and third, respectively.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Mayock: As many as nine defensive ends could go in the first”
  1. jc1958coo says: Feb 7, 2011 8:52 PM

this guy is wrong half the time, likes to here himself talk! if your that good mike why not be a GM! cause no one wants your dumb *ss

2. jc1958coo says: Feb 7, 2011 8:53 PM

1st

3. medialovesthecowboys says: Feb 7, 2011 8:53 PM

I like Mayock. In a world where broadcasters and analysts are too often blowing their own horn, or motivated by some sort of agenda, Mayock is a no-nonsense guy, who gives it straight. I appreciate his contribution to the game. Hope he never turns to the Dark Side (ESPN)

4. knucklebucket says: Feb 7, 2011 9:09 PM

Come on Belichick, go get one of these beasts!

5. jacksaysfu says: Feb 7, 2011 9:09 PM

Good cause my eagles need a top notch DE !!!

6. romoscollarbone says: Feb 7, 2011 9:25 PM

That kid from Wisconsin is serious. I’d really like to see the Cowboys nab him. I keep seeing mocks with us getting Mark Ingram. I don’t believe in 1st Rd RBs unless your a Peterson, CJ, etc.

While we are at it gimme, Kaepernick, Julio Jones, and a new Oline.

7. canadianvikingfaniii says: Feb 7, 2011 9:38 PM

Mike Mayock is definately the best in his field, very insightful and isn’t afraid to admit he is wrong. He’d do any team wonders if he chose that route.

8. dbellina says: Feb 7, 2011 9:53 PM

Could he fit in a 4-3 scheme? The kid is a monster and I’d love the Vikes to get him, but he will be gone by our pick.

9. silkyjohnson937 says: Feb 7, 2011 10:10 PM

I dont know how many de’s will go in the first round but I know one will get drafted with the 20th pick in the first round. Go buccaneers!

10. norcaleagles says: Feb 8, 2011 2:10 AM

I think Mike Mayock is the best at what he does. Mel Kiper Jr. couldnt hold his jock. I wonder if Philly will go DE in the 1st round again. Graham’s injury sounds severe and I wouldnt expect him to be 100% ready until mid to late season. Right now I think our defensive concerns are CB, DE, and LB. This offseason looks like it might not be very exciting if there is no new deal made. We’ll still have the draft, but we wont be seeing any free agent signings. . . .that sucks.

11. mattsffrd says: Feb 8, 2011 7:45 AM

i hope the 49ers don’t take a DE with the 7th pick. they have too many other needs.

12. armchairgm9 says: Feb 8, 2011 8:14 AM

Watt reminds me a lot of Justin Smith, and he fit just fine in a 4-3 scheme as well as a 3-4.

13. jetsrulethemeadowlandsnow says: Feb 8, 2011 8:25 AM

JJ WATT to the JETS!

14. lucky5927 says: Feb 8, 2011 8:45 AM

jc1958coo says:
    Feb 7, 2011 8:52 PM
    ———————————————

What guy in his field is right all the time with picking first round picks in the slots they may go? The answer is none. We as fans try to speculate, but often to no avail because we have teams each year who defy logic and go with a player from left field that no one expected. Thus trades happen and big boards are adjusted. Mike Mayock though is one of the most insightful men in the business. If you can’t see that obvious aspect about him, then your opinion is weightless on such a topic.

15. bayouranch says: Feb 8, 2011 7:31 PM

It is really exactly what i thought from watching games and looking at their size, i haven’t seen this many good DE prospects in a while. I’m no expert, but i do feel like this is accurate. I think my Saints might find a good one late in the first round or move up a few spots and grab an even better one.