NFL knew about seating issue last week

Florio seat

As we suspected, the league knew about the potential problem with temporary seating well before Sunday.  According to the Dallas Morning News, nothing was said about the situation because the NFL believed it had a “very good shot” at getting the situation resolved.

“We made a judgment that it was the right course of action to bring the fans in, rather than to discourage them or create a sense that they wouldn’t have the information necessary,” NFL executive V.P. of business ventures Eric Grubman said.

With all due respect, baloney.

The NFL remains at all times sensitive to P.R.  And after a weather fiasco compounded by not what fell from the sky but by the absence of any plan for removing the ice that coated every horizontal surface in the area (other than, you know, “wait for it to melt” . . . which ultimately gave way to “wait for six inches of snow to cover it up”), the league opted to zip it and hope for the best, even if it meant a much greater level of inconvenience and frustration for the folks who showed up on Sunday and found out that the very small print on the back of their ticket the following disclaimer:  “There is no guarantee that you will actually be able to sit in the seat to which this ticket corresponds.”

The fair and proper thing to do would have been to ‘fess up to the problem from the outset, and to commit to providing fans with full and complete information about the status of the situation and to offer an opportunity for a refund before showing up at the stadium, before coming to Dallas, and/or before buying the affected tickets at a mark-up.  But the league rolled the dice in the hopes of getting luck and avoiding another embarrassment, and possibly in the hopes of ensuring that the people who had tickets that ended up being something other than tickets would be counted toward the failed effort to break the league’s single-game attendance record.

“The attendance record was not the goal,” Grubman said.  “The goal was to use this great building in a way that showcased the NFL, showcased North Texas and showcased the great players we have in the NFL.”

Again, baloney.

Moving forward, the fair and proper thing to do will be to provide not only a triple-refund for the tickets that ended up being worthless or free tickets to a Super Bowl that, based on recent history, likely won’t include the Steelers and/or the Packers but also give a complete and total refund of every dime spent in getting to and staying in Dallas.

From a P.R. standpoint, it makes a lot more sense to settle up with those fans before the class-action lawsuit is filed.  And we predict it will be filed by the end of the week.

Permalink 70 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
70 Responses to “NFL knew about seating issue last week”
  1. karlpilkington says: Feb 7, 2011 1:36 PM

money, money, money! Ridonkulous.

2. Jay says: Feb 7, 2011 1:37 PM

“but by the absence of any plan for removing the ice that coated every horizontal surface in the area.”

Quit your griping about it already. You’re lumping two separate issues together.

3. tombrookshire says: Feb 7, 2011 1:38 PM

It’s like setting a match to a stick of dynamite and holding your ears and eyes closed and hoping it doesn’t blow up. You know it will and you are just fooling yourself to think otherwise. So, let the “idiots” fly all the way down here, spend all these thousands of dollars for airfare, lodging, the ticket, transportation and God knows what else, get to the stadium, only to find out that you will be sitting out in the cold with the rest of the rabble. Don’t you just love the way billion dollar corporations have gotten into the habit of treating the regular joe? If it was me, I’m suing.

4. mhsx says: Feb 7, 2011 1:39 PM

The NFL ought to offer to give them accommodations (flight and hotel) and tickets to the Pro Bowl.

5. smacklayer says: Feb 7, 2011 1:39 PM

Law suit won’t amount to anything. All they can sue for is face value of ticket, which they already offered 3x to refund. You can’t sue for incidental expenses, or for emotional damage of “missing your team’s SB appearance”.

I honestly think the league has gone above and beyond for these people. 3x refund, free food, getting on the field after the game, SB tickets next year. What else do you want??

Sh*t happens sometimes.

6. lbijake says: Feb 7, 2011 1:41 PM

$10k per ticket and end of story. This would be the cheapest way for Goddell to buy his way out of all the bad pub he and the Joker (plastic-face Jerry) are generating. No charge for the advice which would have cost $500k for your in-house people to do this job.

Sincerely

Art Schlichter

PS. If you need help handling the tickets for next year’s SB, give me a call. Or I could call you but it will probably be collect.

7. upperdecker19 says: Feb 7, 2011 1:42 PM

WOW @ “very small print on the back of their ticket the following disclaimer: “There is no guarantee that you will actually be able to sit in the seat to which this ticket corresponds.” ‘

I’ll have to point to that disclaimer the next time I’m at a game and decide to move down from the cheap seats and the usher tries to move me and/or throw me out of the stadium. “There’s no guarantee, sir, that I’ll sit in the seat to which this ticket corresponds.”

So essencially, teams are 100% within their rights to sell as many tickets as they like? Heck, sell 500,000 tickets next time.

The only recourse of being able to cash in on this, stinks for the memory/experience lost. I hope these people get a mint. If it were me, I’d start at Super Bowl tix for life and a $10K refund for the phony tickets/travel accomodations, etc.

8. hobartbaker says: Feb 7, 2011 1:42 PM

Those fans have turned their $800 investment into about a $5000 payoff so far. That is without any upcoming talk show appearances or reality show contracts. I hardly think they need further advocacy.

9. carryingweight says: Feb 7, 2011 1:42 PM

They also knew the Blackeyed peas would be the halftime show, and we all saw how that went.

10. lonespeed says: Feb 7, 2011 1:43 PM

Dude, give it up.

They got thrice their money back, they were compensated in various other ways, and they’ll get a free ride to next year’s Super Bowl (which I’m sure will be better tickets).

If they don’t want the tickets next year, they’ll be able to get even more money.

If they were Pittsburgh or Green Bay fans, then ok, they may not get to see their team play, but I’m sure they were still right in the middle of the festivities.

Frankly, I think they are coming out ahead.

11. AlanSaysYo says: Feb 7, 2011 1:44 PM

Goodell loves to talk about what the fans want. In this case, the fans want to sit in the damn seats they paid for. The whole thing is ridiculous and unacceptable for a league whose existence is predicated on the loyalty and goodwill of its fans.

12. commoncents says: Feb 7, 2011 1:45 PM

How many people does Jerrys suite hold?

13. arnoldziffel says: Feb 7, 2011 1:46 PM

Agreed.

Settle-up with the fans that were inconvenienced … this would include reimbursement for hotel fees and travel expenses. Anything less just enhances ownership’s money grubbing reputation.

If NFL fans … who are the lifeblood of this business … cannot rely on the NFL to do the right thing – how can the players expect any better?

Settle up with the fans, then open the books in a good faith gesture towards working out another collective bargaining agreement with your partners … the players.

14. stinkfingers says: Feb 7, 2011 1:46 PM

Seems to me that somebody should be fired for this.

I nominate Roger Goodell.

15. gorilladunk says: Feb 7, 2011 1:46 PM

League spokesmen had said in mid-January that the temporary seating will “be under construction until the last minute”….I guess they weren’t kidding. Should have been decent enough to let the people who had seats in those areas aware. I wonder if the league would have accepted,”I’ll pay for my ticket when I know my seat will be available”. Kind of doubt it.

16. strategerie says: Feb 7, 2011 1:47 PM

Ruh-roh.

17. oldcracker says: Feb 7, 2011 1:48 PM

Only 2 things come from Texas steers and lies. Just bend over and accept it, like real Texans.

18. georgeanderson2 says: Feb 7, 2011 1:49 PM

Why allow lawyers make any money off of this? If the lawyers get a hold of it, it will be dragged out and nobody wins except the lawyers. The League needs to own up to this. Mistakes happen it is apart of life and such a giant event that it was not going to go perfect. But don’t drag it out with the customers who were effected, refund them for all their expenses and give them the comp tickets to next years SB. If they provide you with receipts from their trip then you will refund them for it, and don’t promise payments like the UFL payment schedule,just pay up and get it behind you.

And stop selling your tickets to brokers !!!

19. aggiegal says: Feb 7, 2011 1:50 PM

I am one of the fans whose Superbowl was ruined by the NFL. I went into debt for the experience of a lifetime, and they have not done anything thus far to make it right. I’ve heard they are giving tickets to next years game, I’ve heard only face value will be returned, I’ve heard 3X face value will be refunded, but they are lying. They did not move people to “better” seats, they did not give anyone their money (who knows how you go about getting it back and how long that will take), and they held us in an area where there was not free food, beverage, or merchandise. I am a Cowboy fan, but am very dissapointed at the way things turned out. They don’t derserve a second chance.

20. diz17 says: Feb 7, 2011 1:51 PM

Fans got 3x face value, which doesn’t even cover what most paid for them. Then add in travel and hotels, and fansnare really out of a ton of money.

21. bbb82 says: Feb 7, 2011 1:55 PM

Simply astounding…. what an amazing failure by the NFL.

22. upperdecker19 says: Feb 7, 2011 1:59 PM

smacklayer says:
    Feb 7, 2011 1:39 PM

This was premeditated fraud. Selling tickets to seats that hadn’t even been completed (a seat that gets the thumbs up from the fire marshall and or any other required building/safety inspection is considered completed in my mind). Then hoping 1,250 people wouldn’t show up, so they could cover up the mistake.

23. lhaveprettyfeet says: Feb 7, 2011 1:59 PM

Let this story die.

24. aggiegal says: Feb 7, 2011 2:05 PM

Not to mention sitting in the temporary seating which I’m hoping was approved. I couldn’t enjoy the part of the game I got to watch without thinking “is this thing really safe, or am I sitting here at my own risk.”

25. jwil444 says: Feb 7, 2011 2:05 PM

WOW, the fact the NFL knew there was an issue/potential issue and said nothing is criminal at worst, fraudulent at best.

If I had a “questionable” ticket, I would want to know about it before making and spending on all the arrangements. Bad move, NFL. Bad move, Dallas. Bad move, Jones…………..goes to show what they “really” think of the fans.

26. demolition510 says: Feb 7, 2011 2:06 PM

Lol @ baloney x 2

27. angrycorgi says: Feb 7, 2011 2:12 PM

…and POSSIBLY in the hopes of ensuring that the people who had tickets that ended up being something other than tickets would be counted toward the failed effort to break the league’s single-game attendance record.

“The attendance record was not the goal,”…

Again, baloney.

—–

I love it…”possibly” in paragraph #5 (aka “we aren’t sure about this, but this might be right”) evolves into a qualification for “baloney” (aka “you are a bunch of liars”) in regard to the same topic in paragraph #6…only PFT can turn speculation into unrefuted fact in the span of 2 paragraphs and assume the reader is so slow-minded as to buy it at face value.

For all your hate toward the NFL and the Cowboys organization with your supposed claims of incompetence, you sure know how to stick your own foot in your mouth on a regular basis and prove YOUR incompetence.

28. swinbun says: Feb 7, 2011 2:18 PM

for those of you that think that these people are coming out ahead @ 3 times face value, that is probably not the case.

Most of these tickets were probably purchased on the aftermarket, and this was the most expensive ticket in SB History. I checked a couple of very reputable brokers on Sunday morning, and the cheapest ticket i saw was for $3900. And that was for upper endzone.

Most fans of teams that are playing in a SB are going to have to purchase tickets this way, so you can’t go to the “thats what you get for scalping tickets” take. The fact of the matter is that there is no excuse for something like this should occur. Every aspect of the event is planned years in advance by the host city SB Committee. They failed in a monumental way.

29. closisgood says: Feb 7, 2011 2:19 PM

Again, not Jerry’s fault you dumb arses who want to keep blaming him. And don’t play Dallas (Arlington), blame mother nature you jackwagons

30. harrisonhits2 says: Feb 7, 2011 2:21 PM

They sold the tickets and then found it would cost more to complete the seating on time than the revenue they got from the tickets.

The National Greed League then let the people with those tickets expend all the money on flights, room etc without the slightest warning.

As I said in another thread, I hope these people refuse the cheap compensation the league is offering and sue the hell out of them.

31. smacklayer says: Feb 7, 2011 2:25 PM

@aggiegal:

It’s not the NFL’s problem you went in to debt to buy tickets and for your expenses. Maybe you shouldn’t buy what you can’t afford.

Should the NFL reimburse you for your expenses? Yeah maybe. What if you stayed in a suite in a luxury hotel for $8000/night for a week. Should they reimburse that? What if you waited until the last minute and bought an airline ticket for $5000 because it was the last ticket available?

The fact is that the NFL cannot possibly reimburse all your expenses. If there a “reasonable” amount that should give all the affected ticket holders? Yes. Is that necessarily going to cover ALL expenses for everyone? No.

32. dexterismyhero says: Feb 7, 2011 2:27 PM

Give them all season tickets to the Jaguars games next year.

33. oldhamletman says: Feb 7, 2011 2:30 PM

the list of screw ups is astounding:

local government with no weather plan for the most important tourist weekend they will ever have

Jerry Jones with no plan other than yelling ‘get it done to people’

Christina Aguilera for not knowing the words to her own country’s national anthem

NFL for being evasive then ultra cheap with NFL fans who got screwed out of a once in a lifetime dream …

wow

the NFL should have come clean at the earliest possible moment, not kicked Cowboys employees out of their seats, and gave people who elected to come in spite of the chance of not having a seat the royal treatment… paid 5 star hotels, premium treatment in the most royal accommodation possible in the Dallas area and to view the game, personal meetings with NFL superstars.. .whatever to try to make up for it…. for people who were buying the cheapest seats possible, I would think it’s a literal once in a lifetime thing….

being separated from the rest of the crowd and basically watching the game in a sports pub style venue for 5k per head, then getting a free cheapest price ticket to a game that almost certainly their team isn’t going to be in doesn’t sound right to me

34. smacklayer says: Feb 7, 2011 2:30 PM

@upperdecker19:

Is it premedited fraud when an airline sells more tickets than the air plane holds? It is not fraud because you agree to their terms. Same with NFL ticket.

35. gunnyd says: Feb 7, 2011 2:31 PM

I’m really beginning to believe this guy Goodell (a.k.a. Goodfella)….is all about the almighty dollar. To think that he is about to take the NFL into another labor strike…..essentially killing the golden goose……one should not be surprised that it was okay with him to screw the 400 fans who were holding worthless tickets.

36. angrycorgi says: Feb 7, 2011 2:31 PM

—-
    @aggiegal

This is why people make fun of aggies…you went into debt to buy nosebleed tickets…and you were expecting the “experience of a lifetime” watching the game from the upper stratosphere…

37. steelersmichele says: Feb 7, 2011 2:32 PM

smacklayer says: You can’t sue for incidental expenses, or for emotional damage of “missing your team’s SB appearance”.

I think the issue here is that fans of the Packers and Steelers picked this Super Bowl because THEIR team was playing–and they spent a lot of money in the process.

Goodell goes on and on about “what the fans want” and unfortunately he didn’t seem to care about 400 of them last night.

Maybe the shots of Cameron Diaz and A-Rod and all of the other famous people (who probably never watched a Packers or Steelers game in their life) rubbed me the wrong way. Did Goodell really want a football game for football fans or was he throwing a Hollywood party?

38. angrycorgi says: Feb 7, 2011 2:36 PM

——–
    She spent 8k/night in a hotel, 5k on a flight and only $800 on a ticket?? That would be seriously confused priorities…

39. aggiegal says: Feb 7, 2011 2:45 PM

@smacklayer

Screw you! I stayed with a friend, used my rapid rewards, and splurged on my credit card for tickets for something that meant a lot to me. Will I do it again, probably not. All I wanted was my experience and all I got was heartbreak.

40. angrycorgi says: Feb 7, 2011 2:45 PM

The 400 fans were all steelers fans…they are blaming JJ and the NFL for ruining their experience by forcing Ben to throw 2 picks and lose the game…

41. closisgood says: Feb 7, 2011 2:50 PM

“Did Goodell really want a football game for football fans or was he throwing a Hollywood party?”
    —————————————————-

42. memphisyinzer says: Feb 7, 2011 2:56 PM

@ stinkfingers says Seems to me that somebody should be fired for this.

I nominate Roger Goodell.

_________________________________________

At the very least, he should take a 6 game suspension, without pay.

The fact that they knew about this in advance and did nothing to notify the people impacted is terrible. It just seems like every day brings a new opportunity for Goodell to prove that he isn’t qualified for the job and that he believes he has risen above the “common people”.

43. berniemadoffsides says: Feb 7, 2011 2:57 PM

Goodell had the ability to resolve this himself and look at the result. No NFL in 2011, ladies and gents. Not with this dope at the helm…

44. angrycorgi says: Feb 7, 2011 2:59 PM

All I wanted was my experience and all I got was heartbreak.

——

So…you ARE a steelers fan…get used to the heartbreak.

45. dkhhuey says: Feb 7, 2011 3:01 PM

God this has been the most enjoyable Superbowl event in some time!!! Nothing like witnessing karma get its revenge on a massive scale. Total failure for Jerry stretch-face Jones in just about every single area. He has egg, the size of his massive ego, dripping off of his surgically installed face! This list of failures is epic and a mile long and just the fact that he won’t be able to remove the stench of failure this grand from his memory is totally priceless!!!

I am wondering if the list of people stretch face fires will become public knowledge anytime soon.

46. tomthebombtracy says: Feb 7, 2011 3:02 PM

Being in the event biz myself I know what its like to play Russian Roulette with the fire marshall. Always down to the wire and all the cajoling in the world won’t make it happen with a stubborn authority. The ice falling from the roof didn’t help the vibe. The fire marshall has more authority than Obama.

What a tough start for Jerry Jones in the new digs. He gets the opposite of Chamber of Commerce weather and sand and brooms are por replacements for ice and snow removal eoquipment.

He has to host two teams that are legacy franchises which know how to bounce back….unlike the Cowboys.

The ticket snafu, the blown anthem (at least Robert Goulet was from Canada; Christina grew up doing the anthem in Pittsburgh.)

Jerry has no naming rights deal and a team that hasn’t even landed in L.A. has one.

47. cappa662 says: Feb 7, 2011 3:02 PM

Get your lawyers ready.

48. wizahdry says: Feb 7, 2011 3:04 PM

The NFL really took a hit with the public this week. The owners were already seen as greedy and money hungry and now it’s even worse. I think the union just gained some ground on the cba negotiations. It’s gonna be hard to sell a lock out after this fiasco.

49. smacklayer says: Feb 7, 2011 3:08 PM

@aggiegal:

I understand you are very emotional about this. But I am not. I have no dog in the fight and I am trying to look at this objectively.

If you maxed out all your credit cards for this event, it has nothing to do with the NFL. It doesn’t give you more standing than someone who used cash to buy their tickets. In fact, using that as point of your argument is only highlighting your questionable financial decisions.

I think you are getting plenty of sympathy from the media and especially the from readers of PFT. I wish you the best in getting some (or all) of your expenses reimbursed.

50. blughst20 says: Feb 7, 2011 3:16 PM

If the powers that be could handle the Super Bowl as well as the teams did last night; the labor issue would have been settled a long time ago. But, no, they can’t. A bunch of suits led (?) by a funtionary who has to check the wind to decide if he should go to the bathroom can’t get anything right.

A Packer fan.

51. skoobyfl says: Feb 7, 2011 3:18 PM

84 here today with a nice breeze, why was the Superbowl held in a Icebox again?

52. angrycorgi says: Feb 7, 2011 3:33 PM

To the 400 crybabies that had their hopes and dreams ruined by the cruel hand of the NFL:

“They either were in the field-level club behind the Steelers bench, where they could watch the game on monitors, or on standing-room platforms in each corner of Cowboys Stadium, where they could see the game in person. They still received their refunds.”

That is per the AP. So, cry me a river…you got to see the game from a like-or-better vantage-point AND you got paid AND some of you got free food and drink AND you get free tickets to next year’s SB. Yeah, the NFL really ruined your experience.

Give me a break. In other headlines, PFT eagerly hops right onto the “jumping to conclusions mat” and looks ridiculous again.

I’ll be waiting for the retraction/apology for the hair-brained reporting that’s been going on here this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

53. angrycorgi says: Feb 7, 2011 3:35 PM

PFT = Onion News…for entertainment purposes only…the views and opinions on this site do not necessarily reflect real news or any bit of fact.

54. scotchrocks says: Feb 7, 2011 3:38 PM

I don’t agree with the league’s handling on this, but 3X face value is fair. I’m willing to bet that legally, they are only obligated to the face value. The real value and face value are two different things.

55. steelersmichele says: Feb 7, 2011 3:44 PM

closisgood says: Every super bowl for the past several years has been a hollywood party. Do you not watch the games?

I’ve watched every Steelers game and Super Bowl for the past 21 years. My point was that Goodell keeps saying his actions are for the fans—and by the looks of the game, it really wasn’t. The game has become too expensive for “regular” fans, so I wish he would stop using me and quite a few other people as an “excuse” for doing things.

As for the people commenting negatively about fans who “broke the bank” on this game, think about it–it was the cost of a vacation. Maybe around $5,000. Most vacations are at least a week. This was probably two days. Yeah, you take a risk spending the money, but you at least hope you get something good out of it. I guarantee some of you blasting these people would be pretty upset if it happened to you.

56. luckywi says: Feb 7, 2011 3:45 PM

“You really love to harp on that point don’t you? I’m sure there are a host of southern cities that have snow plows and trucks ready and waiting for the once in a century ice storm and snowfall.

According to this article of yours the NFL could have forestalled the ticket issue, but if you think that Dallas, Ft. Worth and Arlington could have magically whisked Homer’s Mr. Plow squad in at a short notice you’re really off.”

See this is called “planning”. And if you spend that much money for the glory, pony up the cash to get the help you need, when you need it.

57. steelersmichele says: Feb 7, 2011 3:46 PM

angrycorgi says: So…you ARE a steelers fan…get used to the heartbreak.

Yeah, 3 Super Bowls in 6 years and winning 2 of them–my heart is broken. How successful has your team been in the past 6 years?

58. tudefit says: Feb 7, 2011 3:49 PM

Amazing how many people here have little sympathy for these fans who probably spent a heck of a lot of money flying to the game and getting reservations, not to mention the price of the tickets, and probably more. If they make 3 times their ticket price, will that cover all their expenses? A free ticket to next year’s Super Bowl. Does that mean flight paid for and reservations paid for, etc.?

Put yourself in their place before backing the NFL and before trashing the ticket holders. They are the ones who need to work it out with the NFL to their satisfaction — their satisfaction – not yours.

59. newreality1 says: Feb 7, 2011 4:08 PM

The NFL has learned from the airlines. Sell all the seats you can and when they show up you go ‘OPPS , IM SORRY’. Can you imagine being the poor guy that finally waited all those years to get to a game and hear that. OhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhBoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. It’s kinda like going to a fancey restaurant with 2 months ahead reservation and them say ‘we screwed up you reservation but we set up a table behind the building next to the dumpster”

60. tbd3 says: Feb 7, 2011 4:13 PM

“Baloney”? Really?

61. tbd3 says: Feb 7, 2011 4:14 PM

steelersmichele says:
    Feb 7, 2011 3:46 PM

————————

I don’t care if you’ve won five Super Bowls in a row and then lost a potential sixth, or if it’s your first Super Bowl appearance in the history of your franchise. If you’re a real fan, any Super Bowl loss is heartbreaking.

62. closisgood says: Feb 7, 2011 4:15 PM

Egg on Jerry’s face?
    Its not the Jerrybowl, its the Superbowl.

Did you see the headline….NFL knew about the seating issue, it doesn’t say Jerry knew about the issue.
    Since when was Jerry Jones in charge of all things superbowl? You people are idiots saying this makes Jerry look bad, that or you guys think much higher of him than is deserved.
    Jerry doesn’t control nature.
    Jerry doesn’t control D/FW
    Jerry doesn’t control the Superbowl.

Place your hate(jealously) else where ya numbnuts

63. tommytd says: Feb 7, 2011 4:55 PM

This current crop running the No Fun League is truly the “gang that can’t shoot straight.” They have, with Goodell at the helm, managed to screw up every issue put before them. The owners would be wise to dump Goodell before he does permanent damage. He’s an idiot.

64. masterofthegridiron says: Feb 7, 2011 6:16 PM

Why not let them join the superbowl for life club :)

65. djaehne says: Feb 7, 2011 7:05 PM

Blame it on who is likely the responsible party.
    City of Dallas Fire Marshall’s office. They dragged their asses until it was too late for the stadium management to notify the owner of tickets involved. They made sure this would happen to Jones’ sb game. The snow and ice will be the excuse that they will use to skirt blame.

66. jazzytrav says: Feb 7, 2011 7:23 PM

Anyone that thinks this ice issue couldn’t have easily been resolved doesn’t seem to know much about how to remove ice. The city had plenty of time to get salt in, but decide instead to cheap out and try to use sand, which does just about nothing unless it’s combined with salt.

And there’s no excuse for failing to inform the fans ahead of time that they might not have a seat. Give those fans the option to change their plans rather than have them travel to Dallas, show up to the game, and find out they’ve been had.

Screw “triple the face-value.” They should’ve gotten triple the marked-up price. Pretty sure the league made enough money on this to cover for it.

67. oldcracker says: Feb 7, 2011 10:22 PM

Angrycorgi must be JJ’s personal “pretty boy” for those special occassions in the owner’s box. He has too much time and personal emotion wrapped up in this to be anything else.

68. daytonsfinest says: Feb 8, 2011 12:07 AM

Bologna

69. resqparamedic says: Feb 8, 2011 11:26 AM

Some of us who had our seats closed were given better seats. However, many (100’s) were not. The fact remains that the NFL knew of this issue a week prior and the NFL Ticket Exchange was selling the seats in question the day prior for 5x the face value, yet they want to give 3x the face value, plus swag as some sort of compensation. Isn’t that akin to a bait and switch?

The fact remains that many people who came with tickets for the seats in question, unlike corporate people in the down front and center seats, came to cheer for their team. Some of these people sacrificed specifically for this event. Heck, I would go so far so as to propose that for some this may have been the trip of their lifetime. However, their trip of a lifetime became a disaster when tickets to seats were sold to seats that the selling body knew was going to have problem.

70. resqparamedic says: Feb 8, 2011 11:32 AM

Some of us who had our seats closed were fortunate and given better seats. However, many (100’s) were not. The fact remains that the NFL knew of this issue a week prior and the NFL Ticket Exchange was selling the seats in question the day prior for 5x the face value, yet they want to give 3x the face value, plus swag as some sort of compensation. Isn’t that akin to a bait and switch?

The fact also remains that many people who came with tickets for the seats in question, unlike corporate people in the down front and center seats, came to cheer for their team. Some of these people sacrificed specifically for this event. Heck, I would go so far so as to propose that for some this may have been the trip of their lifetime. However, their trip of a lifetime became a disaster when tickets to seats were sold to seats that the selling body knew was going to have problem.

Then again, perhaps I’m wrong, but I thought the bait and switch wasn’t ethical, or is it perhaps not legal either? On top of all that, the awful treatment that most of the ticket representatives gave to us was totally not acceptable. Being ignored, blown off, and given the run-around is not the way to treat customers either.

In the end, the NFL/The Cowboys Organization/Someone screwed up and needs to re-examine how it makes restitution to those who were affected. They don’t need to deliver the world, but they do need to make things right and what they are doing now, isn’t doing that. At least not in my opinion.