Sean Payton plans to move family to Dallas

Sean Payton

Saints coach Sean Payton is headed to Dallas after all.

As Florio hinted at this morning, Payton and his family are indeed buying a home in Dallas, according to a report from ESPN’s Ed Werder.  Payton will maintain a residence in New Orleans, but his kids will enroll in school in Texas.

Werder writes that Payton considered a similar arrangement when he took the Saints job, but owner Tom Benson didn’t allow it.  Three playoff appearances and a Super Bowl title later, Payton worked it out.

Mike Triplette of the New Orleans Times-Picayune writes that Payton won’t commute every day, while Payton estimated to Werder that he can go from Dallas-to-New Orleans in 90 minutes door-to-door with help of a private plane.

It seems likely that Payton would stay in New Orleans most of the time during the regular season, with trips home on Friday evening like Tony Dungy or Bill Cowher once did in their previous coaching stints.

Permalink 79 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
79 Responses to “Sean Payton plans to move family to Dallas”
  1. tombrookshire says: Feb 7, 2011 4:52 PM

Hmmm….lets see, on the one hand, Dallas. On the other, New Orleans, as a place to raise your kids. Don’t even have to think about it.

2. huskersrock1 says: Feb 7, 2011 4:52 PM

Who can blame him for not wanting to raise his kids in the big easy.

3. xdayvidx says: Feb 7, 2011 4:53 PM

I bet it must be nice to take a Jet to and from work. Sure beats rush hour traffic!

4. rbrow018 says: Feb 7, 2011 4:54 PM

Not really a big deal……it takes me 2 hours to get to work every morning and I live 15 minutes from my job

5. phuhcue says: Feb 7, 2011 4:54 PM

The cowboys owner is an ass, but the North Texas area rocks!!! No better place to live.

6. kcjohnson2 says: Feb 7, 2011 4:55 PM

Yes, this is “bad taste”.

Choosing to move your kids to Dallas so they can attend a better school is “bad taste”. Such a terrible life decision by Sean Payton. He should put the feelings of Saints fans ahead of the education of his children and well-being of his family. People all over the United States commute and maintain a residence in a city different from where they work for the same reason. I suppose they have “bad taste” as well.

Rosenthal, you’re a hack.

7. smacklayer says: Feb 7, 2011 4:57 PM

It is not bad taste. New Orleans is a dump and the schools are terrible. I don’t blame him a bit, especially for wanting his kids to get a decent education.

8. commoncents says: Feb 7, 2011 4:59 PM

That’s got to make Jason Garett feel good but more telling is what it obviously says about his opinion of New Orleans.

9. goodjet says: Feb 7, 2011 4:59 PM

I just think it’s weird and a slap in the face to New Orleans —- I would never allow it if I was an owner — If I’m paying someone millions of dollars to coach the team you can live where the team is —– I would have a huge problem with it regardless —- Just another example of these NFL people living in their Fantasy-Land Worlds

10. 1bigtex says: Feb 7, 2011 5:01 PM

Westlake is the richest community in the US according to Forbes. Josh Hamilton, Tom Fazio, KJ Choi, Chuck Greenberg, Mark Texieria are among those with homes in Westlake as well as the former CEO of Exxon and the head of Burlington Northern. Fifteen minutes to DFW airport and then about three and half hours maximum to anywhere in the lower 48. Large parts of New Orleans still look like a war zone.

11. stetai says: Feb 7, 2011 5:02 PM

Why Dallas? Does he have history or a connection there?

12. 504in860 says: Feb 7, 2011 5:02 PM

He never actually lived in New Orleans. He lived in Covington…a suburb of the Big Easy.

13. thompgk says: Feb 7, 2011 5:04 PM

He probably gets tired of seeing people urinating whereever they want.

And no, I don’t believe they have uromysitisis.

14. ironhawk says: Feb 7, 2011 5:04 PM

I wouldn’t raise my children in Texas. Have we all forgotten the edited text book fiasco already? I wouldn’t even consider a Texas high school diploma valid. It would be worth less than a high school dropout anywhere else.

15. stairwayto7 says: Feb 7, 2011 5:06 PM

North TYexas area rocks? I guess it does of you want snow and ice!

16. jjay9 says: Feb 7, 2011 5:08 PM

“Commuting from Dallas probably won’t hurt Payton’s ability to do his job, but it does make us wonder about Payton.”

That he cares about his family and not the trivial thoughts of a blogger? Good for him. Chocolate city is no place to raise a family.

17. dcninerfan says: Feb 7, 2011 5:09 PM

“Choosing to live on the same golf course as the Jonas Brothers in Dallas over staying in New Orleans is a sign of bad taste.”

Wait, just because he wants his family to live in a SAFE place, instead of murder central (ranked 5th), is bad taste? That’s like telling an Iraqi who has the ability to move to Europe or the US with his family so they have a far better chance of living a traitor. Its moronic.

18. nygiantstones says: Feb 7, 2011 5:11 PM

What a crock that commentary is, Rosenthal. Just because you went to school down there doesn’t mean its the greatest place on earth. The fact of the matter is that New Orleans is a dying city, riddled with the issues of poverty. The US Government is actively buying people out of their homes in the area in an effort to turn the place into an oil refinery. New Orleans has lost half their population after Katrina and the BP oil spill. Why should Payton have to raise his kids in an area that depressed? Give me a break. Smart move on his part, if you ask me. I wouldn’t want to raise kids in New Orleans. Not unless you want them drinking in the streets at 15, as I observed many kids doing during Mardi Gras last year.

19. shinywalrus says: Feb 7, 2011 5:12 PM

Awesome! Continue to alienate your readers from Texas. It’s not like it’s a heavily populated state or anything.

20. knowerofallthings says: Feb 7, 2011 5:12 PM

he’s doing it for his kids – no one wants to raise their family in that place. Great place to party and sin but not so much to put your kids through school

21. dallassux says: Feb 7, 2011 5:13 PM

tombrookshire says:
    Feb 7, 2011 4:52 PM

———————————————————————————-

Yup sounds easy. New Orleans

22. jw731 says: Feb 7, 2011 5:15 PM

Make you wonder about what? Wasn’t he employed by the Cowboys?…Maybe he thinks it’s the best place to raise his family, maybe his family really liked it there. What i think is a sign of bad taste is the fact that anyone would question a man on what he thinks is best for his family. In fact, i don’t know why the hell this is even in the news.

23. screamingsheep69 says: Feb 7, 2011 5:18 PM

So sending the wife and kids to Dallas to grow up without dad 80% of the time is better than the exposure they would get in New Orleans while outside their private school. That says something for that ditch in lower Louisiana. Should have left it flooded.

24. xxwhodatxx says: Feb 7, 2011 5:20 PM

I’m sure the comments about NOLA are from people who either never been,don’t live there,or are just plain old HATERS.

25. Jay says: Feb 7, 2011 5:21 PM

Why, because he prefers Dallas to New Orleans? Not everyone has to make the same choice as Drew Brees and homestead in New Orleans to be a part of the franchise.

Seems like you’re making a mountain out of a mole hill.

26. scytherius says: Feb 7, 2011 5:25 PM

His first responsibility is to his family. That should pretty much end the discussion.

It is 100% his call. None of us know what is best for his family than he does.

And for those that are bitching about him “being away from his kids”, are you also saying that no one in the military should have kids? You have NO clue what is best for his family.

27. livenbreathefootball says: Feb 7, 2011 5:30 PM

Folks Rosenthal (with 3 gs) was questioning Payton’s decision to live in the same place as the Jonas Brothers. It was a JOKE.

28. closisgood says: Feb 7, 2011 5:32 PM

If he is to live close to the Jonas Brothers than that means he’d be living in Westlake, NOT Dallas.
    Westlake is the wealthiest ZIP Code in the United States.

It’s also on the edge of Fort Worth, you spend a week here and still can’t get that Dallas isn’t the only town…in town.

29. jbl429 says: Feb 7, 2011 5:32 PM

rbrow018 says:
    Feb 7, 2011 4:54 PM

—–

If it takes you 2 hours to get to work, you live 2 hours from your job.

30. beerbaron says: Feb 7, 2011 5:36 PM

Who knows if it was even his decision? Maybe his wife likes the shopping in Dallas better.

31. robf2010 says: Feb 7, 2011 5:37 PM

Archie Manning lives in New Orleans and raised a family here. It can be done. The private schools in New Orleans are every bit as good as the private schools in Dallas.

32. house068 says: Feb 7, 2011 5:37 PM

rbrow018 says:
    Feb 7, 2011 4:54 PM
    -+———————————

then you don’t live 15 minutes from your job. You may live 15 miles from your job but that is different.

33. tweener8292 says: Feb 7, 2011 5:40 PM

He could learn from his quarterback. One of the most impressive things about Drew Brees as a person is his commitment to his community far beyond football. He understood and continues to understand the linkage to the concept of “community”. As he said in his book, “New Orleans saved me far beyond what I can do to ‘save’ them”.

34. larf003 says: Feb 7, 2011 5:43 PM

“Werder writes that Payton considered a similar arrangement when he took the Saints job, but owner Tom Benson didn’t allow it.”

Uhmmm apparently I’m the only one who thinks that this is strange. An owner (aka employer) can tell an employee WHERE he can live and/or raise his kids? Granted MOST of us mortals have to go where the jobs are, so moving for work doesn’t seem odd. But in the land of the NFL where players/coaches make more money than we’ll see in our puny lives? Uhhh how does an owner have the right to tell someone where they can buy a house? How many players that play for the Aints live in NO? For that matter how many NFL players have houses around the country? I don’t see owners telling them they have to move. Maybe I’m just dramatically uninformed & this occurs a lot more than any of us are privy to?

35. geetee52 says: Feb 7, 2011 5:46 PM

Texas is a red state…and while the schools may be nothing to brag about…they don’t have to be very good to be better than Louisiana schools. Payton’s got kids and options…more power to him.

36. closisgood says: Feb 7, 2011 5:47 PM

Also, why is every one hating on his decision?

Half of New Orleans lives in the Dallas area now anyway post-katrina.

He just was finally allowed to leave by his boss.

37. rbrow018 says: Feb 7, 2011 5:48 PM

-+———————————

————————————————

That post was meant for the more intelligent readers….. a little bit above your 3rd grade reading level

38. makimaguro says: Feb 7, 2011 5:53 PM

Pretty sure any parent that really wants to be around their kids and/or wife would make it happen wherever they work (private schools/home school/etc.) – especially when you’re pulling in $Millions/year. Sounds to me like an excuse to get them out of town.

39. hammertoe11 says: Feb 7, 2011 5:54 PM

Two things could happen.
    1. His marriage is on the rocks.
    or 2. He is planning to be the next head coach for the cowboys.
    Drew Brees is going to miss his DADDY war bucks. LMAO.

40. cometkazie says: Feb 7, 2011 6:06 PM

robf2010 says:
    Feb 7, 2011 5:37 PM
    = = = =

Peyton graduated from Newman in ’94. It’s 17y later and New Orleans is 17y worse.

Granted NO has some good private schools, but you are in NO and that is not good. They are very good by Louisiana standards but not up to a good New England prep school.

OTOH, Payton lives in Covington, “North of the Lake” as we say here, a middle/upper middle class bedroom community. Louisiana public schools are from not very good to lousy on national standards.

Me, I would never want to have to drive that Causeway twice a day.

I am planning on leaving Louisiana but I’m not moving to Dallas. I’m following my grandchildren. Dallas is waaaaaaay down the list of possible destinations.

41. philwauke says: Feb 7, 2011 6:06 PM

Love the stupid comments on here. Payton has never lived in New Orleans he lives 45 minutes away in Mandeville across lake ponchartrain.

42. saintsfan1111 says: Feb 7, 2011 6:09 PM

Of course, most of you are entirely ignorant about New Orleans. I live there, and I don’t profess any knowledge about your whereabouts.

First off, Payton doesn’t even live in New Orleans…thus your ignorance. He lives in Mandeville on the north shore of the lake. That would be Pontchartrain lake for you sociologists.

Per schools, New Orleans “used” to have a horrible public school system prior to Katrina. It has since moved on to Charter schools, which have done wonders for the system. New Orleans has the 27th ranked high school in the nation (Ben Franklin high school). Of course, you have to qualify for it. Newman is where the Manning kids went, and is a great school. I’m sure Drew Brees will put his kids there.

Personally, I have no idea why Sean wants to move his family to Dallas. For us in New Orleans, it’s a general slap in the face, as if this community is not worthy of your family. There will be constant speculation about Payton working for Jerry Jones, and that’s entirely annoying.

43. ramseytown says: Feb 7, 2011 6:15 PM

The school narrative is a cop out. No how matter how tough the city is, New Orleans included, there are nice neighborhoods and nice private schools.

44. 504in860 says: Feb 7, 2011 6:19 PM

New Orleans is the most unique city in America…with the nicest people. It always amazes me how people can wish ill will on fellow Americans.

45. masterofthegridiron says: Feb 7, 2011 6:21 PM

He’s taking GM job in Dallas

46. 504in860 says: Feb 7, 2011 6:24 PM

Oh, and FYI…

College-bound high school seniors in La. do better on the SAT than college-bound seniors in Texas. Louisiana ranked 18th among states in average SAT score in 2010; Texas a lowly 45th.

47. 1bigtex says: Feb 7, 2011 6:25 PM

@ironhawk

As a fifth generation native Texan, I’d be more than willing to compare SAT scores or IQ scores with you. Students attend school to learn and “learn” is an active verb. That means the greatest portion of the responsibility for learning falls on the students’ shoulders. Students fail themselves more often than the education system fails students.

48. jackdiesel says: Feb 7, 2011 6:25 PM

He’s lucky he’s moving to Westlake because Texas as a whole has one of the lowest highschool graduation rates in the country.

49. etjla says: Feb 7, 2011 6:28 PM

He lives in the Sanctuary subdivision in Mandville – St Tammany Parish which is 30 miles north of New Orleans. The school system there is much above the national average and ranks as the best in the state. Also the subdivision has 1 million dollar + homes. Can’t see Westlake being that much of an improvement. This is more of a way out of the Saints coaching job and head to Dallas as a GM.

50. romoscollarbone says: Feb 7, 2011 6:36 PM

If the only time you ever went to Dallas was this past week you may be a little jaded.

All in all North Texas/ The Metroplex area is great. I’m from NJ, but last season I trekked down to see the Boys play and fell in love w/ the area. If he has access to a private plane and can be door to door in 90 mins, who really cares. Plus all the comments about Nola’s school system have to be spot on. The population has seen a drastic decline, and funding I’m sure has been sucked dry first by the hurricane and the issues surrounding the oil spill.

If he had chosen to move the family to Birmingham, AL, there wouldn’t be even a scintilla of questioning.

51. bigbluefan1 says: Feb 7, 2011 6:47 PM

I do think we have all seen the photos of NO LA after the strom the city is still a dump

He is doing what is best for his family

As I recall the aints were looking to move out of that dump as well

52. trollaikman8 says: Feb 7, 2011 6:48 PM

The Texas school system has an amazing Creationism curriculum. lol.

53. joelvis72 says: Feb 7, 2011 7:13 PM

I live in Baton Rouge & have spent time in New Orleans, and I don’t like it. My wife’s from Dallas and while it’s not perfect, I have a good time when I go up there. Geez, whoever decries the Texas education system, especially on the basis of textbook revisions, is ridiculous.

Anyway, I’m a Saints fan and no matter how Peyton spins it, I’m not comfortable with this.

54. duffer58 says: Feb 7, 2011 7:15 PM

Texas and Louisiana are both the Dark ages. They still believe Universe is 5000 years old.

55. duffer58 says: Feb 7, 2011 7:17 PM

The great City in Texas is Austin.

56. profootballwalk says: Feb 7, 2011 7:19 PM

If these guys cared about family, they wouldn’t be in the business. All the family talk in sports is crap – coaches see their kids a few times a year – great dads.

57. 504in860 says: Feb 7, 2011 7:22 PM

bigbluefan1 says:
    Feb 7, 2011 6:47 PM

He is doing what is best for his family

As I recall the aints were looking to move out of that dump as well
    ——————————————–

Typical ignorant person from the northeast.

58. joemac1114 says: Feb 7, 2011 7:31 PM

Texas is ranked 48th in education and judging by how they feel about government spending on anything that seems about right. On the other hand Louisiana is ranked 27th. Further, after Katrina, NO dumped all their teachers and opened charter schools. Maybe that is why he left, got rid of all the real teachers and hired the graduates at the bottom of the class to teach in NO.

I would think his wife doesn’t want live in New Orleans and that the decision to move the family was hers. New Orleans will be a century recovering, if ever, from Katrina.

59. grrr05 says: Feb 7, 2011 7:46 PM

This move makes no sense. For all of you talking about how he’s doing what’s best for his family, you are all ignorant. Yes, New Orleans public schools are horrible. But he doesn’t reside in inner-city New Orleans. He resides in Mandeville which is a small town 30 minutes north of New Orleans filled with rich white people and an EXCELLENT school system. Look up Mandeville and St. Tammany Parish for yourself and see what you learn. I don’t see why he would move his family to Dallas unless he was planning on taking a job there in the near future.

60. upperdecker19 says: Feb 7, 2011 7:50 PM

“90 minutes door-to-door with help of a private plane.”

It’d better be a private plane. It takes 90 minutes just to navigate from point A to point B on that stupid tram in the Dallas airport.

61. realitypolice says: Feb 7, 2011 7:54 PM

All of you people harping on Rosenthal’s “bad taste” comment need to take a sarcasm lesson.

GR was referring to living in the same development as the Jonas Brothers as showing bad taste.

Because, you see, the Jonas Brothers stink.

Glad I could clear that up for all of you.

62. realitypolice says: Feb 7, 2011 7:57 PM

larf003 says:
    Feb 7, 2011 5:43 PM

==========================

If you were an employer and you were about to hire someone to run your entire organization and they asked if you minded if they lived 600 miles away, you wouldn’t have a problem with that?

63. longthao82 says: Feb 7, 2011 8:00 PM

Future cowgirls coach! He should know that in the big D you
    can’t win!!

64. saintsfan1111 says: Feb 7, 2011 8:29 PM

At least there will be a superbowl winning coach in Dallas.

65. vercingetorix43 says: Feb 7, 2011 8:32 PM

phuhcue says: Feb 7, 2011 4:54 PM

This guy doesn’t get out of Texas much does he ha ha

66. midgetbanger says: Feb 7, 2011 9:15 PM

What’s this going to do to Payton’s carbon footprint?!

67. drexelvol says: Feb 7, 2011 9:36 PM

Tell them to make sure they get the key from Mike Vick. He left it under the flower pot.

68. philriverslovespenis says: Feb 7, 2011 10:04 PM

profootballwalk says:
    Feb 7, 2011 7:19 PM

————————————————–
    As a 28 year old man with a daughter and wife, I work a lot of extra hours and as a result, I don’t get to see them as much as I’d like. However, the reason I work a lot is so they don’t have to. It’s called being a man, and providing, even if it means you sacrfice time to be with your family. It’s because some of us would rather bust our ass more than we have to, so maybe our kids can have a slightly better life than us. I also plan on teaching my daughter and any other children I ever have one of the most important things I ever learned: A WORK ETHIC. Coach Payton has a career, and is at the pinnacle of it. He’s also making his family’s life a lot better because of that.

69. wizahdry says: Feb 7, 2011 10:25 PM

How would the owner of the Saints have a say in where the head coach decides to maintain a residence and raise his children. As long as the coach shows up for work when he is suppose to and does his job, I don’t think it’s any one’s business. Tom Benson doesn’t own Sean Payton or his family.

70. ErikW65 says: Feb 7, 2011 10:51 PM

It should be noted that Coach Payton “was among the first people in Louisiana to link news reports about bad drywall to televisions, computers and electrical equipment failing in his Mandeville home and his family becoming ill.”

Must’ve played a part in his decision.

71. tucknrolle says: Feb 7, 2011 11:55 PM

I wonder if he lived in NJ when coached with the Giants(probably not). I wonder if Phil Jackson lives in South Central. Who really cares where his family lives as long as his not in a brothel in N.O, and Brees is still throwing for 5,000 yds a season.

72. omniscient48 says: Feb 7, 2011 11:59 PM

Ala Rahm Emanuel Payton can now run for Governor of either (or both) Louisiana and/or Texas.

Maybe he is moving to Westlake to be close to Chase Daniels, Garrett Hartley, and Glen McElroy?

73. pspring63 says: Feb 8, 2011 12:08 AM

Certainly I hope that Peyton’s kids receive an education adequate enough to qualify them as potential NFL head coach candidates. WTF. This is pitiful. Maybe Sean has some candy in NOLA that he’s looking to score. Ridiculous. Idiot.

74. jasoncnz says: Feb 8, 2011 1:45 AM

Drew Brees has a home in San Diego. He still lists that as his primary residence and considers it his “home”. That is where he votes from and pays taxes. So even the great Drew Brees does’nt want to hang around N.O. any more then he has to!

BTW, everyone knows both Payton AND Brees only went to the Saints because they had no other offers! Both would have taken less to go someplace else. Just sayin.

75. turbodog1027 says: Feb 8, 2011 7:17 AM

Tony Dungy and Bill Cowher did the same thing while coaching for the Colts and Steelers.
    Still don’t like it but at least we’re not the Falcons

76. Chris Guest says: Feb 8, 2011 8:25 AM

It is called income taxes and Louisiana has them and Texas doesn’t. If he claims Texas residence he saves a boat load in taxes. There is no other real reason.

77. sco21 says: Feb 8, 2011 8:42 AM

I don’t blame coach Peyton one bit. I would be that his decision is not just to get his kids in a better school system. New Orleans is a dump. What was it, yesterday or Sunday, 3 murders in just 3 hours. No thank you. My husband and I have been here for 2 and a half years and can’t wait to leave. We have lived all over the country and would return to any of the previous states we have lived in, before settling here for the rest of our lives. The reasons are too numerous to list. Good for you Sean Peyton.

78. bigpoppyuno says: Feb 8, 2011 12:39 PM

You pay taxes in the state you work, not where you live.

79. mandmom says: Feb 8, 2011 10:31 PM

The Peytons live in an exclusive gated subdivision in beautiful Mandeville, LA, which is 30 minutes outside of New Orleans and well above sea level. The public schools are ALL National Blue Ribbon Schools Of Excellence and his children attend private school just blocks from their subdivision anyway. Most posts here are from individuals who have probably only visited the downtown and tourist areas of the city and have no knowledge of this region beyond the typical stereotype images portrayed in bad movies. This community enjoys a highly cultured and quality lifestyle.